Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Valve Guide Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another Valve Guide Thread

Did my homework and found a wealth of information on head problems with the L7. I am impressed by the number of tech heads who know every nut, bolt and quirk of Z06s. So maybe you can help me decide what to do.

I could not find a single case of a 100% stock 06 Z06 with valve guide or rocker arm issues, but I did not read every single post/thread either. It seems 2007 is the most problematic year, with 08s and 09s following closely behind and the vast majority of these cars are modded. Are stock 06/Zs for the most part immune to this problem?

I drive a 2006 Z06 with 11k miles, is 100% stock and tracked once or twice a year for some spirited driving but never abused.

Should I play it safe and have the heads done or is this a non issue for stock 06/Z06s?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You are going to get 15 pages of opinions, while there are a few data points we know.
- The heads never changed from 06-13, so all are at the same risk
- My guides were fine (also an '06, most others trashed - including stock '06s)
- only cars with proven out of spec guides have failed so far
- cars with WCCH bronze guides and OEM or SS valves have a 100% track record thus far

So if your guides are in spec, you're probably fine per the data. If they aren't its a matter of time from what we've seen. No magic way to know unless you check them, so that's really the answer. A few hrs of labor and chump change compared with the cost of owning equivalent performing cars, so not totally unreasonable.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Another Valve Guide Thread
Excellent!

I could not find a single case of a 100% stock 06 Z06 with valve guide [...] issues [...]
Now you have -- I have one. You should check your guide wear (that's how I discovered mine; there were/are no symptoms in my case).
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 AM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have seen a good amount of 06' models with excessive guide wear and dropped valves. Not sure how you didn't see some cases while searching the forum.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EX1
I have seen a good amount of 06' models with excessive guide wear and dropped valves. Not sure how you didn't see some cases while searching the forum.
Yep, figured I missed some, did read about more than a few 06's with dropped valves but they all had mods.

Next question......any recommendations for a shop in South East Pennsylvania to have the heads checked?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Expect 1000's of options
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
You are going to get 15 pages of opinions, while there are a few data points we know.
- The heads never changed from 06-13, so all are at the same risk
- My guides were fine (also an '06, most others trashed - including stock '06s)
- only cars with proven out of spec guides have failed so far
- cars with WCCH bronze guides and OEM or SS valves have a 100% track record thus far

So if your guides are in spec, you're probably fine per the data. If they aren't its a matter of time from what we've seen. No magic way to know unless you check them, so that's really the answer. A few hrs of labor and chump change compared with the cost of owning equivalent performing cars, so not totally unreasonable.

Especially in bold. I would agree with the rest of this post, however, there are a lot of failures that have popped up here were we do not know in fact if the guides were in spec or out, Valve dropped and motor blew up, nobody took the time to have the guides checked.

That said, OP, at a minimum I would recommend you get a competent shop to check your heads and guide wear..its going to cost some money, but the question boils down to , would you rather spend a few hundred dollars (maybe more) or spend around 15k to replace the motor if it blows.

The difficult part is nobody knows with any real degree of certainty just how widespread the problem is. Some will tell you its 1% or less cars effected, some will tell you it's like 20-30% or more!

Since there is no pattern of model year, or tracked vs street failures , or modded vs stocked failures ...its very hard to tell if not impossible which cars are suspect.

Check the heads and go from there
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Poster hiznhrz asked same question. He lives in Maryland...Might wanna check his post response's..Vette shop in Delaware IIRC..
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank

Especially in bold. I would agree with the rest of this post, however, there are a lot of failures that have popped up here were we do not know in fact if the guides were in spec or out, Valve dropped and motor blew up, nobody took the time to have the guides checked.

That said, OP, at a minimum I would recommend you get a competent shop to check your heads and guide wear..its going to cost some money, but the question boils down to , would you rather spend a few hundred dollars (maybe more) or spend around 15k to replace the motor if it blows.

The difficult part is nobody knows with any real degree of certainty just how widespread the problem is. Some will tell you its 1% or less cars effected, some will tell you it's like 20-30% or more!

Since there is no pattern of model year, or tracked vs street failures , or modded vs stocked failures ...its very hard to tell if not impossible which cars are suspect.

Check the heads and go from there
and very well put Frank.

Good point about the guide wear as well.

Many strongly believe that these valve failures and guide wear always co exist.

But because very few people have their guides checked after breaking a valve, it's impossible at this point, to know if this is always the case.

Show me a case of someone dropping a valve in here, and more often than not I can show you a person who doesn't know what their guide wear measurements at three points was before, or after, the dropped valve.

Hoefi's name comes to mind, but few others.

The water becomes even murkier in that some believe that some of these failures reported as valve failures, may actually have been piston failures.

Also, I'm somewhat surprised at the results of the original posters search efforts.

Aside from Mark200x, my stock, save for MGW shifter and DRM Bilsteins 2006 had started to show guide wear at around 20,021 miles with three exhaust guides out of spec as measured at 3 points.

This was documented in the valve guide thread started by musicmankeb awhile back.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-12-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got an '06 Z06 that was at the limit (.0032) with a few exhaust valve guides at 26,000 miles. The only mod is a vararam intake (no tune, exhaust, etc).

The engine would have likely lasted quite a bit longer without problems. Though because I have no warranty and have the heads off anyway, I'm having the guides, valves and springs replaced.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Has anyone found a reliable way to check the valve guide wear with the heads on the engine - ie, remove the spring and use a dial indicator on the side-to-side play? Or at least a method that indicates there could be excessive wear and the heads should be removed for a detailed check & measurement.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
and very well put Frank.

Good point about the guide wear as well.

Many strongly believe that these valve failures and guide wear always co exist.

But because very few people have their guides checked after breaking a valve, it's impossible at this point, to know if this is always the case.

Show me a case of someone dropping a valve in here, and more often than not I can show you a person who doesn't know what their guide wear measurements at three points was before, or after, the dropped valve.

Hoefi's name comes to mind, but few others.

The water becomes even murkier in that some believe that some of these failures reported as valve failures, may actually have been piston failures.

Also, I'm somewhat surprised at the results of the original posters search efforts.

Aside from Mark200x, my stock, save for MGW shifter and DRM Bilsteins 2006 had started to show guide wear at around 20,021 miles with three exhaust guides out of spec as measured at 3 points.

This was documented in the valve guide thread started by musicmankeb awhile back.
Do you have an opinion on what role the OEM guides play on "valve dropping"..?

See any correlation between "valve drop's" and guides?

Do you agree with confused garage "only cars with proven out of spec guides have failed so far" ?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Do you agree with confused garage "only cars with proven out of spec guides have failed so far" ?
This isn't my opinion, it's a description of the data we have available. Of course I realize not everyone who pops a motor checks their guides. However, many have, and every documented case here had guides outside the service limits.

Think about it. If we were seeing numerous cars drop exhaust valves, with the majority having guides in spec, but some not in spec, the data would indicate the valves are the issue. Now, what we actually see, is most cars have guide wear, some of those actually fail, and of those, all have had guide wear. That's the data, take it how you will. Just don't spin it.

Everything after this is based upon assumptions, which are impacted by opinions.

Last edited by ConfusedGarage; 03-12-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Do you have an opinion on what role the OEM guides play on "valve dropping"..?
No, but theories among professionals on this very thing abound.

I suggest you contact one and ask them.

See any correlation between "valve drop's" and guides?
Aside from the suspected correlation often cited in here, and elsewhere, none.

No, I don't agree with that, and would really need to check and see if those are his exact words.

There have been several cars in here to fail, "so far" where it was not determined one way or another what shape the guides were in when they failed.

In fact, in only a few cases, or even a couple of cases of valve failure reported in here, do I recall any attempt to measure the guides "post mortem".
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

Well stated Franktank
Thousands of opinions, little if any facts.
Lots of emotion!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

No, but theories among professionals on this very thing abound.

I suggest you contact one and ask them.

Aside from the suspected correlation often cited in here, and elsewhere, none.

No, I don't agree with that, and would really need to check and see if those are his exact words.

There have been several cars in here to fail, "so far" where it was not determined one way or another what shape the guides were in when they failed.

In fact, in only a few cases, or even a couple of cases of valve failure reported in here, do I recall any attempt to measure the guides "post mortem".
I ask these questions so that we /forum members have a better understanding of where you come down on why valves drop...And can put in perspective your recommendations on how to fix the problem..
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
This isn't my opinion, it's a description of the data we have available. Of course I realize not everyone who pops a motor checks their guides. However, many have, and every documented case here had guides outside the service limits.

Think about it. If we were seeing numerous cars drop exhaust valves, with the majority having guides in spec, but some not in spec, the data would indicate the valves are the issue. Now, what we actually see, is most cars have guide wear, some of those actually fail, and of those, all have had guide wear. That's the data, take it how you will. Just don't spin it.

Everything after this is based upon assumptions, which are impacted by opinions.
I am in total agreement with your position on the guides and role they play in the problem..Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Another Valve Guide Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I ask these questions so that we /forum members have a better understanding of where you come down on why valves drop...And can put in perspective your recommendations on how to fix the problem..
Well my skepticism forbids me to believe that this is your motive for asking these questions.

However my "recommendation" is to talk to cylinder head professionals, and other professionals with experience in the LS7 valve train issue, and more than one, such as Richard at WCCH, Charlie at RPM, Ryne Cunningham at CMS, the people at Vengeance Racing, and Texas Speed, Darin Morgan at Darin Morgan Cylinder heads, the people at Advanced Induction, for you best "recommendations" on how to manage this matter. Ask them what they would do in their own cars, .....and why.

See which ones are saying the same thing, and which have some consistency in how they approach this matter, the number of cases they have done using their methods, and their degree of success.

It would also be worth it to see which ones seem to march to the beat of a different drummer, and how many cars they have done and their successes or failures describe here and elsewhere, and make your selection as to whose advice among any group of professionals that you are going to follow.

Oh, and BTW, with regard to your prior question and your quote

I mentioned to you that I did not agree with that.

Many cars have failed in here and the condition of the guides after they failed, never reported.

Below is a listing of said to be stock cars in here which have failed.

Many of them dropped valves.

If "only cars with proven out of spec guides have failed so far", then where are the guide to stem measurements for the cars in the following list which have failed?

List of Claimed Stock LS7 engine failures reported on CF

Charles Scavone 2006 Model Dropped Valve Street cruising.

Whitjo 2006 Model Dropped Valve Street cruising

66L72 2006 Model Oil Starvation Track,

Ruf-Racer 2006 Model *Two* LS7 engines replaced under warranty. Causes of failures unknown

Raceguy 2006 Model Spun Bearing Track

dg144 2006 Model Oil Starvation

Sprite2005 2006 Model Valve

Mr-Z 2006 Model Valve Street

fastbluels6 2006 Model Dropped Valve, street.

Whosurdaddy 2006 model Dropped Valve street

capitalpiggy 2006 Model Dropped Valve Street

kennyC6 2006 Model Dropped Valve
street

Larry T 2006 Model Spun Bearing

Blemley 2006 Model Rod Bearing

Wesh60 2006 Model Unknown cause. Failed at 581 miles..

TFAST4U 2006 Model Street. Oil pump failure.

upsetatchevy 2006 Model Bearing Failure

euro749 2006 Model Valve Street

TheJimer's Report 2006?? Model See post

The "breakdown":

20 reports of failed stock motors in 2006 models.
9 valve related
4 bearings
3 oil starvation
4 unknown

Bmore30 2007 Model "Seized" on Street

Pistol Champ 2007 Model Dropped Valve, street

GMautotech description 2007?? Model See post. Valve

Cor Dame 2007 Model Valve

Cobraq8 2007 Model Dropped Valve

Hoefi 2007 Model Dropped Valve

UR2SLO 2007 Model Dropped Valve

CodeBlack 2007 Model Stock street.

BLKLS7 2007 Model stock Valve.

tjwong 2007? Describes a failure in a car belonging to a customer of his. Valve

The "breakdown":

10 reports of failed stock motors in 2007 models.
8 valve related
1 "seized"
1 unknown

**************************************** **************************************** *******

ctdeng0 2008 Model *Two* LS7 engines to fail under warranty. 1st failure rod bearing 2nd failure "rod bearing"

snapsZ06 2008 Model Oil pump failure, street.

Joe_Planet 2008 Model Track, possible valve

07C6Z 2008 Model Dropped Valve

elh0102 2008 Model Track Oil Related Failure Bearing?

Pro531cad 2008 model cracked piston, street.

DoctorV 2008 Model Broken valve spring, valve likely contacted pistons, street.

Darius 2008 Valve failure, track

RedSSR 2008 Model "Seized"

DirtyHowie 2008 Model Dropped Valve

Tailwag 2008 Model Piston

blue 85 2008 Model Spun Bearing

MarkusWelby 2008 Model Second of two LS7 engine failures. First LS7 failed. Then replacement LS7 engine failed after approx. 3500 miles.

Marcosis 2008 Model Oil Starvation

Hulksdaddy 2008 Model Bearing Failure

rikhek 2008 Valve, Street

Bill Dearborn 2008 Model Broken Valve, track

The "breakdown":

19 reports of failed stock motors in 2008 models.
7 valve related
5 bearings
2 oil pump related
2 unknown
2 pistons
1 "seized"

Mrimpala02 2009 Model Crank Bearing Failure

1 report of failed stock motors in 2009 models
Cars which have suffered failures of the stock exhaust valves, since 9/26/12

In the cases where the reports are second hand, I point to the member's tenure here, so as to give the reader an idea of the poster's reliability in that report.

The count stands at 12 failed motors, which have been reported in here, due to valve trouble and have failed a stock exhaust valve, since back on 9/28/12

1. CGZ06 2009 stock 34,670 miles
2. Cyclone09Z06 2009 stock 18,200 miles
3. Jackal 2006 56,000 miles cam only
4. jmurf28 Stock 2006, 13,555 miles[/B]
5. fmcockc 39,000 miles failed on track

6. Gary Glasser 2006 Z06, dropped a valve at 40k miles
7. jad568 2007 45,000 miles failed while being backed out of parking lot
8. AreOhBeeC6Z 29,000 miles, bolt ons
9. Corvette0096, 10 year member, report of a case of a 2008
10. z51Vett, 9 year member, report of a case 2007, 33,000 miles

11. Daniel Hoffele 2007 49K miles CAI, Catback, stock tune.
12. philpacs 2006, 30K miles

The truth is, we don't know just what shape the guides were in in these cars.

All we know is that they failed a stock exhaust valve.

So I cannot agree with the approach ""only cars with proven out of spec guides have failed so far".

We don't know that.

As much as we want to say that "bad guides" are what cause this, we don't know for certain. Just as we don't know that bad valves cause it either.

But both are implicated.

And so as a result, many in here elect to replace both.

Finally, with respect to the stock guides and the stock guide material, I found it interesting what WhiteDiamond reported that the pro fixing his heads, told him.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583272660

Originally Posted by Darin Morgan
In my professional opinion LS7 heads need bronze guides. Actually, I feel all LS engine need bronze guides. The LS series engines are a great feet of engineering but they blew it when they used the cast “alloy” guides in conjunction with non roller tip rockers and Titanium valves....

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-12-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] Next question......any recommendations for a shop in South East Pennsylvania to have the heads checked?
Quoting before it gets lost in the deluge.... N.E. guys?

This link will show you PA vendors: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/vend...p?location=170

There may be some closer not far from your state line. ECS is in NJ, I think Franz is down in MD/DE(?), both participate in the forums here and could be closer than some PA vendors.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
Agree! Incredible! You can't drop a canned ham out of an airplane and not hit an '06 with bad guides!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Valve Guide Thread