Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 581 miles, time for a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 PM
wesh60
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 581 miles, got my car w/ a new engine

I picked up my VY C6 Z06 Sunday Jan 29th. I had driven it about 560 miles by last Saturday when a friend and I went out for a drive. He is getting his VY Z06 in about a month, so I wanted to show him what a great car it was. He drove for a little bit. On the way back to his house he asked what the noise from the engine was. I told him that it was just the noisy lifters. We had done some accelerations before that, but limited them to 5 to 6K RPM. On my return trip home I noticed that the noise was a lot louder during lower RPM accelerations. I checked under the hood and it sounded like a noisy lifter. I took it to the GM dealer Monday. They did a compression check and found #8 cylinder to have 95# compression. GM authorized an engine replacement. I was told that the engine will be pulled from the Corvette assembly line and will arrive here Thursday. The new engine will be back in the car by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Do I win the prize for shortest engine life ? I tried to follow the GM break in procedure. I will get the name on the engine plate when they pull the engine and post it here. Other than that I have enjoyed the car for 2 weeks. THe car has 581 miles on it now.

Last edited by wesh60; 02-24-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hate to read stuff like that with mine on order
Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry to hear that.Glad they are moving so quick.Keep us posted on what happened.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default New engine at 3400 miles

GM installed a new engine at 3400 miles. Sudden "low oil pressure" bells and whistles on the DIC. Dealer service was prompt and efficient.I have no feedback on the root cause of failure. Good luck and enjoy your Z06 in good health.

Cheers

R
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. Even worse, the first 1000 miles on your car will be all break in miles. You have to do it twice!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by m3corvette
That sucks. Even worse, the first 1000 miles on your car will be all break in miles. You have to do it twice!
Drive train broken in already.I would redline that baby leaving the dealer.If it's going to break again let it break there.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said! Kick it and go!!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wesh60
I picked up my VY C6 Z06 Sunday Jan 29th. I had driven it about 560 miles by last Saturday when a friend and I went out for a drive. He is getting his VY Z06 in about a month, so I wanted to show him what a great car it was. He drove for a little bit. On the way back to his house he asked what the noise from the engine was. I told him that it was just the noisy lifters. We had done some accelerations before that, but limited them to 5 to 6K RPM. On my return trip home I noticed that the noise was a lot louder during lower RPM accelerations. I checked under the hood and it sounded like a noisy lifter. I took it to the GM dealer Monday. They did a compression check and found #8 cylinder to have 95# compression. GM authorized an engine replacement. I was told that the engine will be pulled from the Corvette assembly line and will arrive here Thursday. The new engine will be back in the car by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Do I win the prize for shortest engine life ? I tried to follow the GM break in procedure. I will get the name on the engine plate when they pull the engine and post it here. Other than that I have enjoyed the car for 2 weeks. THe car has 581 miles on it now.
Are you by anychance located on Long Island. I was at a chevy dealer this week and I saw a VY z06 with the motor out of it. I thought someone said that the block was cracked. Maybe I heard them wrong.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:02 AM
wesh60
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Juniorss
Are you by anychance located on Long Island. I was at a chevy dealer this week and I saw a VY z06 with the motor out of it. I thought someone said that the block was cracked. Maybe I heard them wrong.
No. I am near Seattle, WA.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Juniorss
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

hmm well that means that there is another VY with a blown motor. If I heard right the service advisor said it cracked by the starter.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 AM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wesh60
My bet is a broken exhaust valve spring
Old 02-15-2006, 03:11 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

My insurance guy was delivering a new ZO6 to Seattle from Socal for his in-law. Got to Norcal and threw a rod. I'm inquiring on the builder now. Got about the same (500+/- miles.)

(I have 511 miles on mine now. Sure hope this isn't a trend...)

(I knew that Mobil stuff was substandard.)
Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 AM
SLVRNBLK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Juniorss
hmm well that means that there is another VY with a blown motor. If I heard right the service advisor said it cracked by the starter.

This owner was talking about their problem on the edmunds forum. Last I heard they were trying to get a new car. Dealer was resisting a new car replacement the way.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Drive train broken in already.I would redline that baby leaving the dealer.If it's going to break again let it break there.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by outnumbered

BTW...WHO BUILT IT??
Old 02-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Well that sucks donkey *****.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:19 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What does a replacement engine do to resale value? Will they stamp the block with the same codes that the original engine had? Seems like a bum deal if and when you sell the car and a potential buyer starts to whine about the car not having matching numbers. If it was only a valve spring why not fix it? I suppose they want the engine to analyze the failure but does this leave you with lower market value on your car?

Get notified of new replies

To 581 miles, time for a new engine

Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 AM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Originally Posted by OregonC6
What does a replacement engine do to resale value? Will they stamp the block with the same codes that the original engine had? Seems like a bum deal if and when you sell the car and a potential buyer starts to whine about the car not having matching numbers. If it was only a valve spring why not fix it? I suppose they want the engine to analyze the failure but does this leave you with lower market value on your car?
who really checks all this stuff?? I havent ever..
Old 02-15-2006, 11:51 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I would THINK.. ( and don't hold me to this ), that it would be similar to during the muscle car era when they did replacement blocks. If you would hold on to all the documentation it would be able to be verified. If you didn't blow it doing something stupid and GM pays for it, I wouldn't think that it would be a HUGE problem, but someone who has bought / sold collector vettes and such would know better how the market treats things like that years down the road. That's the true test... 25 years from now.. how will the market think about these cars in those situations.
By then, they could all be banished anyways, buried in our garages hiding from "the man", since gas is "illegal" then...heheheheh
Old 02-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
What does a replacement engine do to resale value?
There are many potential Corvette buyers who check numbers, ESPECIALLY on a car that may have investment potential (note that I am not saying the Z06 has that, just speaking in general terms). Replacement engines will hurt future value if the buyer is one of these types. If they are stamping these engines with the VIN or any other date or code that ties it to the car, then a replacement engine may be an issue with SOME buyers (**** NCRS guys like me...). So, if you hope your car either appreciates or has less depreciation than some other car models, a replacement engine might be an issue for some buyers. If it were my car getting a new engine, I would try to get a new car, and failing that, I would at least get concrete documentation from Chevrolet and/or the dealer regarding the replacement engine. Like I said, us pesky NCRS types, who happen to usually MAKE money when we sell our cars...

With that said - who knows if and where they may be stamping these engines? I have not yet found anything on mine.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 581 miles, time for a new engine