Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Have you had a LS7 engine replaced or repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
This would probably come as a big surprise to our friend Frenchican.
I'm sure it would. Maybe he was talking about a different "GM."
Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Default Hmmmmmmm............

CamaroAJ has deleted his signature from the time I posted this AM. I guess the long-tube headers, CAI and tune disappeared too.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

just turned 34K on mine which I picked up Feb 2007 only thing changed was rear tires at 20K. Personally know 15 guys with C6 Z's and no problems with any, hey what can I say. upps one guy Frenchican but I think there was some mod thing involved no warranty.

Last edited by jimman; 10-11-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

In the 63 previous posts, there is exactly one first-hand report of a bone-stock engine issue, but I'm not sure if it's regarded as an engine failure yet (Codeblack). C5 Frank says he knows of several (second-hand), but there is no mention of whether they are stock, and that would require some first-hand knowledge of the cars in question.

Everyone else has tunes and headers listed in their profiles.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-11-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:57 PM
augydog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Foosh
In the 63 previous posts, there is exactly one first-hand report of a bone-stock engine issue, but I'm not sure if it's regarded as an engine failure yet (Codeblack). C5 Frank says he knows of several (second-hand), but there is no mention of whether they are stock, and that would require some first-hand knowledge of the cars in question.

Good research

The fact that only one is stock says volumes.

augydog
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outnumbered

Big difference from a race car. It is a production car.
right
Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the tune can be the killer. Not saying all tunes but some.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think the tune can be the killer. Not saying all tunes but some.
Dan,

I have no idea and have been attacked, routinely, for even raising the question on this forum, but I do think it is a question that should be seriously considered. The problem with forum reports is they are horribly unreliable, generally speaking. Posters routinely leave critical info out.

It is the scientist in me...................
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Dan,

I have no idea and have been attacked, routinely, for even raising the question on this forum, but I do think it is a question that should be seriously considered. The problem with forum reports is they are horribly unreliable, generally speaking. Posters routinely leave critical info out.

I have noticed the same thing. It seems that many won't fess up when they contribute to a failure.

Seeing is believing. At least when you are incorrect you are man enough to admit it.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Dan,

a lot of I know someone who knows someone else who then knows someone else.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM
fbirch
Intermediate

Big difference from a race car. It is a production car.
Thanks, but can you elaborate? Specifically with regard to the Z06 engine, which major components are common to the race car and which are different - the block, heads, pistons, crank, valve train, oil system? It would be strange for Chevy to spend years and millions of dollars engineering the weaknesses out of an engine used very successfully for endurance racing, and then throw it all away and start over from scratch for the Z06. I've previously owned a Porsche, and one of the things I liked about it is that many elements of the engine hardware were essentially the same components used on Porsche's endurance racing models. They used the race track to engineer the weaknesses out of the product sold to consumers. It was my impression that Chevy followed a similar approach when deciding to put a dry sump, high-RPM motor in the Z06. At the Houston car show just prior to the public release of the Z06, the spokeperson on the Chevy stand stated that powerplant in the Z06 was essentially the same as the race engine. Is this not the case? Is there no common hardware?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by fbirch
Thanks, but can you elaborate? Specifically with regard to the Z06 engine, which major components are common to the race car and which are different - the block, heads, pistons, crank, valve train, oil system? It would be strange for Chevy to spend years and millions of dollars engineering the weaknesses out of an engine used very successfully for endurance racing, and then throw it all away and start over from scratch for the Z06. I've previously owned a Porsche, and one of the things I liked about it is that many elements of the engine hardware were essentially the same components used on Porsche's endurance racing models. They used the race track to engineer the weaknesses out of the product sold to consumers. It was my impression that Chevy followed a similar approach when deciding to put a dry sump, high-RPM motor in the Z06. At the Houston car show just prior to the public release of the Z06, the spokeperson on the Chevy stand stated that powerplant in the Z06 was essentially the same as the race engine. Is this not the case? Is there no common hardware?
Below are a few of the differences, I'm sure the pistons are forged, aggressive cam, different heads, different intake system, tune, etc.

C6-Z06/ C6.R
Displacement: 7.0/427/ Same
Horsepower: 500@6200/ Horsepower: 580@5400
Torque (lb-ft): 475@4800/ Torque (lb-ft): 610@4400
Bore diameter (in): 4.125/ Same
Crankshaft Stroke (in): 4.00/ Crankshaft Stroke (in): 3.985
Deck Height (in): 9.24/ Same
"V" angle (deg): 90/ Same
Cylinder Bore Spacing (in): 4.40/ Same
Compression: 11.1:1/ Compression: 12.0:1
Cylinder case material: Aluminum/ Same
Cylinder liners: Cast iron/ Cylinder liners: None
Lubrication System: Dry Sump/ Same
Fuel System: Sequential EFI/ Same
Throttle System: Throttle body/ TS: Individual runner
Fuel required: 93 octane/ Fuel required: 100 octane

augydog

Last edited by augydog; 10-11-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fbirch
The internals of the engine are going to be very different. I am not a race engine builder but maybe Katech can chime in. Also you can look at this thread. I hope you have some time.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1823409

This is the entire process of building a race car. Each phase of the project are listed on the first page as a link. You can go to the engine phase of this project to get some info.

Enjoy!

Dan
Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

C5 Frank says he knows of several (second-hand), but there is no mention of whether they are stock, and that would require some first-hand knowledge of the cars in question.

One had a tune and filter and lost TWO motors. But Chevy covered it as it was a broken valvespring both times. I also know of one that lost the oil pump, but that car was/is used for lots of road racing events. Doubt it is stock either.
I know of one that was at the dealer with 2k miles on it that was supposedly stock with broken valvespring. But yes you are correct... it is second hand.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think fbirch is more interested in the quality/construction/metals used on the parts like:

Pistons, rod, crank, valves, valve springs, rockers, tapper, BEARINGS etc.

For 70k, I understand they cant give you a C6R, as long as I have the "heavy-hitter" items, I'm cool with the plastic intake, etc etc.

Originally Posted by augydog
Below are a few of the differences, I'm sure the pistons are forged, aggressive cam, different heads, different intake system, tune, etc.

C6-Z06/ C6.R
Displacement: 7.0/427/ Same
Horsepower: 500@6200/ Horsepower: 580@5400
Torque (lb-ft): 475@4800/ Torque (lb-ft): 610@4400
Bore diameter (in): 4.125/ Same
Crankshaft Stroke (in): 4.00/ Crankshaft Stroke (in): 3.985
Deck Height (in): 9.24/ Same
"V" angle (deg): 90/ Same
Cylinder Bore Spacing (in): 4.40/ Same
Compression: 11.1:1/ Compression: 12.0:1
Cylinder case material: Aluminum/ Same
Cylinder liners: Cast iron/ Cylinder liners: None
Lubrication System: Dry Sump/ Same
Fuel System: Sequential EFI/ Same
Throttle System: Throttle body/ TS: Individual runner
Fuel required: 93 octane/ Fuel required: 100 octane

augydog
Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
One had a tune and filter and lost TWO motors. But Chevy covered it as it was a broken valvespring both times. I also know of one that lost the oil pump, but that car was/is used for lots of road racing events. Doubt it is stock either.
I know of one that was at the dealer with 2k miles on it that was supposedly stock with broken valvespring. But yes you are correct... it is second hand.
Yes, GM "covered" it or more accurately, the dealer made a good case to GM, which allowed it to be covered. We've heard of numerous cases, where good relationships with particular dealers make a difference in the case of modified cars.

We've also heard that they are now sending many of these cars back to BG. That strongly suggests GM is now interested in investigating how many of these failures are linked to modifications like tunes.

However, thanks for confirming that the cases you reported were likely not stock either.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CamaroAJ has deleted his signature from the time I posted this AM. I guess the long-tube headers, CAI and tune disappeared too.
i never had a signature or a Z06 for that matter. its not my Z06 we are talking about here. I'm the one that works for the dealer and I'm also the one putting the engine in. Per the people I talked to from GM headers and a CAI are bolt on up grade to the car, not an engine mod. so the engine in fact is bone stock.

They also told me they know they have a "issue" with the valvetrain.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you had a LS7 engine replaced or repaired?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:38 PM
pro531cad
Cruising

Default bad motor

I bought my 08 ZO6 in Needles Calf. and had 4 miles on it. After taking the car off the dealer lot, there was something VERY WRONG. After weeks of the " CHEVY TECH TEAM' and two alternators later, (took three weeks to get two alternators) they discovered they had a bad motor. WOW,THESE GUYS ARE ROCKET SCIENTISTS." Cracked no.7 piston. Why they never did a compression check, I will never know! It was a nightmare in trying to deal with Chevy. They were very un-caring and would not return phone calls. Trying to deal with the dealership was just as bad! It took them 8 weeks to get a new motor. 7weeks of corporate red-tape and 1 week of getting the motor replaced. All in all, the chevy dealership had my ZO6 for 10 weeks. While I love my ZO6, I give chevy an "F" for their effort. I understand with anything mechanical, it can break,... but how you go about fixing the problem should not entail contacting chevy and GM corporate over 45 times. My suggestion to chevy.... "Let Lotus build your high performance motors, you stick to your 6 cylinders." My ZR-1 runs great!!!! Thanks Lotus for a job well done!!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 AM
cadillac531
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by petefias
How dare you have a Z with a blown motor! On the other hand it is just hearsay or allegation. Wait 'till some of the net lawyers get a hold of this.

Probably you abused and misused your car, the Z is the bestest ride in the whole world.

Did I do good Foosh?

For seriousness, Kzof, sorry to hear about your trip, wish your brother a speedy recovery. Let us know if your motor is going to be fixed by the dealer or BG.

As impressive as the Z is, it sure could have used some more R&D. Some examples: roof, halfshafts, clutch, rocker arms, valve springs, active handling, brakes (under track use). On the other hand, it isn't much different than pre-93 ZR1 injectors going bad routinely (from alcohol content of gas) and the nightmare of the secondary throttle vacum system fiasco. So some things just stay the same.

I better run now before the lynch mob shows up and go pull that plenum again to track down some vacum leak. At least I don't have to send my car back to BG.

There is still a pretty big difference between having issues with rockers, half-shafts, clutches, brakes and the roofs flying off of the Z06and the secondary injectors and secondary vacuum system of the ZR-1. At least if any of the secondary system fails, the ZR can still be driven; just not to full potential.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Larry T
Racer

My tale of woe was last November. 06 Z06(bone stock)with just a few hundred miles on it spun a main bearing. Driving at 55-60 MPH and felt a shudder and saw a loss of oil pressure, not completely, but, down to approximately 10-20 lbs. Eased the car into a GM dealer and the engine seized at that point. New crate motor and we were off to the races, so to speak! Have 5000+ on the new motor without any problems to date.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Have you had a LS7 engine replaced or repaired?