Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil Starvation on Track - LPE Tank Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great job your hard work is appreciated
Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 AM
CQT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard is it to replace?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CQT
How hard is it to replace?
Not hard at all.

Dreamin even did a writeup on the install.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tallation.html
Old 07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting results, seems this is a needed modification to 06-08 Z06's if you plan to track the car. So the only change from the stock tank is increased oil capacity in the LPE?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 PM
drabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
Dreamin........thanks for all the effort you put into this. There are hundreds of us that appreciate it I am certain.

Do you plan to do any further testing ......say after adding sticky tires and/or suspension upgrades?

thanks again
Old 07-25-2009, 02:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Very interesting results, seems this is a needed modification to 06-08 Z06's if you plan to track the car. So the only change from the stock tank is increased oil capacity in the LPE?
He is running Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and has aftermarket brakes as his modifications.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/newr...y&p=1570017272

I think the results indicate that this is a needed modification to '06-'08 Z06s if your car is capable of exceeding 1.0G for 4 seconds on left hand turns, as a result of prior suspension and/or tire upgrades.

On racing tires, or with other suspension upgrades, this is possibly, or probably more prone to happen, than on stock runflats and the stock suspension.

Very few compeletely bone stock down to the tires, failures at the track due to oil starvation, have been described on this forum. You can probably count them on one hand.

But if your car has been modified to where it is capable of exceeding 1.0Gs in a left hand turn, for 4 seconds or more, then you will probably need to make this other modification to it, in order to avoid possible oil starvation issues.

So from what he has posted so far, one can derive that: If you have made any modifications to your '06-'08 Z06, which would allow it to exceed it's already phenomenal handling capabilities on a road course, well then you may, and probably do need to make yet another slight modification to the oiling system.

If your car is completely stock, then you should be fine, the mere handful of completely stock track failures due to oil starvation that we have seen in here notwithstanding.

Reviewing the posts on this forum, one finds that there have been more LS7s to pop on the road course due to oil starvation while on tire, brake and suspension upgrades, than there have been on stock , brakes and stock runflats. If an LS7 equipped Z06 popped on a road course, then chances are it had one or all of those modifications done.

The thing is, some people look at tire upgrades as "minor" and sometimes even neglect to list them in other posts or surveys logging the failure. Tire upgrades can make a significant difference.

As mentioned before, it is extremely rare to see a description of a showroom stock Z06 fail on a road course due to oil starvation.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-25-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 66L72
Dreamin........thanks for all the effort you put into this. There are hundreds of us that appreciate it I am certain.

Do you plan to do any further testing ......say after adding sticky tires and/or suspension upgrades?

thanks again
He is running Pilot Sport Cups and Brembos. It would be interesting to see his results on say, Hoosiers and/or coilovers. But the information he has posted up already is surely well appreciated.

Thanks again Dreamin'
Old 07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

ANOTHER STUPENDOUS GEEK EFFORT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH
Old 07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a showroom bone stock car that lost its engine after 3 hpdes and 3300 miles.
Hopefully my story IS a rarity.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
I had a showroom bone stock car that lost its engine after 3 hpdes and 3300 miles.
Hopefully my story IS a rarity.
It is.

Other than yourself, elh0102, and one other guy whose name I cannot call right now, those are the only confirmed stock on stock tires on track failures, due to oil starvation which appear on the forum.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Reserved for future results:
* Calif Speedway (So. Calif)
* Infineon (No. Calif)
* Buttonwillow (So. Calif)
* ?
Hi Dreamin, can you post the same graphs for California speedway when you had the stock tank? I want to see where problems can occur and how bad the Nascar turns 1 and 2 are. I will most likely be there in a few weeks.

Thanks Leo
Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
It is.

Other than yourself, elh0102, and one other guy whose name I cannot call right now, those are the only confirmed stock on stock tires on track failures, due to oil starvation which appear on the forum.
add one more
Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Lion
Hi Dreamin, can you post the same graphs for California speedway when you had the stock tank? I want to see where problems can occur and how bad the Nascar turns 1 and 2 are. I will most likely be there in a few weeks.

Thanks Leo
Leo

He is going to test it on the next 2009 Corvette Challenge event, which is at ACS !!!!

DH
Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
It is.

I know of 1 that happen recently at the NCM HPDE at VIR in July. He blew at 85 mph on the back s's and the GM rep warrenteed his car on the spot. Bone stock engine.

ErnieO
Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Dreamin again you are responsible for the two of the most important posts on this forum, thanks! u should get some royalties from LPE.

My question is looking at the data the pressure on the stock system never goes below 20 and on the LPE system never below 25. Is this 5 psi difference saving our engines? How low is too low on the LS7? Does anyone know?
Also this is on stock suspension right?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by IL Vette
Thank you for all the work necessary to make this thread possible.
I've ordered the LPE tank thanks to your work (and a little prodding from dvandentop).
i am sure i helped you spend some $$ after track attack
Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by nzk
Dreamin again you are responsible for the two of the most important posts on this forum, thanks! u should get some royalties from LPE.

My question is looking at the data the pressure on the stock system never goes below 20 and on the LPE system never below 25. Is this 5 psi difference saving our engines? How low is too low on the LS7? Does anyone know?
I think that the problem is air geting into the oil going from the tank to the engine, thus droping the pressure. Although, I don't believe the pressure drop is what is causing the problem, rather, the air geting injected in the bearings (which is causing that pressure drop)...I could be totally wrong on this too...

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Starvation on Track - LPE Tank Results

Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 AM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just completed my LPE tank install today. I think I ordered the last "off the shelf" one they had in stock a couple weeks ago. My core will be shipping back this week. I had them add a Stef's oil pan heater element to the tank so I can get the oil up to temp faster. I always hated driving the Z for several miles before the oil would even get up to 130-140f... I also put in the Aviad tank insert. Nice piece, but had to open up an extra hole in it to clear the heater element. These parts make a lot of sense when you see the whole system. I wouldn't mind having the Katech scavenge pump, but I'll have to wait until I do some serious engine work.

Overall the tank swap isn't a bad install. The toughest part is probably wiggling the tanks in & out since the mounting flange for the upper & lower half get pretty tight by a wire harness & require a little finesse. I did it myself without too much extra trouble though. Dreamin's write up is accurate so give it a read if you're going to do it.

I was pleased to see that I had only a very tiny amount of metal on the drain plugs. Very minute, small particles. Nothing to worry about at all. So as long as my oil analysis comes back looking good, I'll feel safe about not having any damage to the bearings, even after my track outings.

Last edited by 4wheels; 07-26-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nzk

If you compare Thill with the stock oil tank (turn 2) Dreamin is 85+ mph and his oil pressure is ~21psi. 21psi @ 5k rpms is bad!
After the LPE tank installed, Dreamin went to Thill same turn and now the oil pressure is stable.

Now if you are in a slow turn and your oil pressure is 20psi but your rpms are at 2500, then 20psi is fine. Dreamin made it possible for all of us to see.
The rule of thumb on oil pressure is ~10psi per 1k rpm

The data doesn't lie, the LPE tank works.

Hope that helps
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 PM
BigDaveDogg
Intermediate

What does the Aviad insert cost a person? I looked on their site, and it just confused me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil Starvation on Track - LPE Tank Results