Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealer said it was abuse???!!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM
BLKLS7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer said it was abuse???!!??

After just looking around on here for some time, it is sad to say this is my first post. A couple months ago my car dropped a valve and caused catastrophic engine failure (a common problem i see here), and just as i told them it failed while i was driving at 65-75 in 6th gear on the hwy. I believe they should have documented that off of the ecu. They took almost a month to perform the repair and now the car is back at the dealer with a transmission failure. My 3rd gear is gone and when I went in to check on it today they told me that it was due to abuse! I told them that I in no way abuse the car, given that it is a Z06 i have pushed it before but i never beat it down or "abused it" because i respect a car that i paid soo much for. They told me that all the synchros except for 1st gear looked like they had some wear to them and the 3rd gear synchro was totally gone. Then I told them that it should be covered and that if the car were to be abused that 6th gear wouldnt be worn due to it because you dont go into 6th hard because you would be going 195+ which a stock Z06 isnt capable of doing. They then began to say that it seems as if i abuse the cart and that is why my motor blew and now my trans, and i continued to tell them how the motor issue had nothing to do with me and they knew that for a fact because the ecu recorded what i was doing when it failed yet they continue to try and put that failure on me as well. Sorry for the long post, I just need some help/insight on what i can do here. I have already contacted the chevy hotline and explained my situation and they say they will get back to me in 2 days. BTW it is an 07 Z06 with only 12,800 miles on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
teds427
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Simple they pulled the drive line for the engine repair and didn't refill the trans fluid. This happens on every engine R & R
the dealers do, and they try to pass this failure on
the customer. Do a search for trans and bearing failure, unreal.
Ted
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by teds427
Simple they pulled the drive line for the engine repair and didn't refill the trans fluid. This happens on every engine R & R
Ted
We actually had a trans fail a few hundred miles after the engine replacement on a 2008 Z06. We drained and filled the trans with fresh fluid during the engine install, ran it in gear on the lift, checked it and it still failed soon after. Some things are still coincidental, but not often.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Call Obama!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
lthrneck
Racer

I think we are pretty much on our own. It's obvious GM is turning the AHole **** way up now that they are part of the government. I just had an issue with brake pedal going to floor that they used some bs weasel way out of it to say it was my fault. I'm pretty done with GM at this point.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ted
This happened to my car too.When I ck'd trans level after I drove my car with a new engine and it sounded like a M-22 in my Chevelle.It had 1/2 qt of oil in it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Live2Redline
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lthrneck
I think we are pretty much on our own. It's obvious GM is turning the AHole **** way up now that they are part of the government. I just had an issue with brake pedal going to floor that they used some bs weasel way out of it to say it was my fault. I'm pretty done with GM at this point.
Its not GM whos doing it, its the s***ty dealer you are dealing with. Find a new one period. And GM has until 2015 to pay back the gov. They said they plan on having them payed back by June this year. Then they can do as they please

Last edited by Live2Redline; 01-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dealer is stickin it to you! I agree with the idea that the dealer screwed something up & not are trying to past on the liability to you. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
BLKLS7
Advanced

Hmm so it has been common for people who have had their motors replaced at the dealer to need a new transmission shortly after? What can i do or tell them to help them understand that the car was not abused and that they need to honor my warranty? I even paid them to change my oil 100miles after driving on the new motor just to make sure i wouldnt have all those metal shavings in my oil.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Yeah, this is not GM screwing you, it's your dealer. A good relationship with your service writer is essential.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by EViL427
Yeah, this is not GM screwing you, it's your dealer. A good relationship with your service writer is essential.
....... Or your friendly Parts Manager
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
....... Or your friendly Parts Manager
I have that, too.

Came in handy when I had to swap the heads on my Silverado due to a TSB on the 5.3L (cracking and leaking coolant ). It's an '02, so any warranties are long gone. Got parts below wholesale.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
Call Obama!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Ted

Do that search, print out the results, and give them to the service manager (or GM rep if necessary). Be advised that GM cut way back on reps in recent years to save money. Instead they have given decision-making power to dealer service managers (who they don't have to pay). If you appeal to GM customer service the policy is for GM to stand behind the service manager's final decision, so be prepared for that. But if you arm yourself with a pattern of similar failures, common sense should prevail. Here's the situation:

When an LS7 is replaced the trans cooler lines are taken apart and some fluid is lost. The problem is that a few days later when everything is reassembled the tech doesn't think about the Z06's unique trans cooling system. He'll top off all the other fluid levels, get it hot, and double check. Most manual trans cars and trucks don't have cooler lines and there's no filler tube or dipstick to remind the tech to check the fluid.
So the car goes back into service with low manual trans fluid. This has happened to many Z06s at many different dealers. There's no immediate telltale sign like slippage in automatics. Just lack of lubrication, eventually resulting in either noise or hard shifting or bearing failure, or more. You may need to get an unbiased opinion on the overall damage to the trans.

Here's the really difficult part: Normally it doesn't matter that much to a dealer whether a repair is customer pay or GM warranty (unless he's already in trouble with GM for excess warranty claims). He gets paid one way or the other. But in this case, when it's revealed that the trans is cooked due to an oversight during the engine r&r, GM's position will be that it's not their fault and they're not paying. It's the dealers problem. A Z06 trans ain't cheap and few dealers now are in a position to take a hit like that. The dealer may stand firm on his claim of "abuse" and the tech may insist that he added trans fluid and his boss may back up the tech 100%. If it comes to that and all the case histories don't straighten it out then you might have to get an independant expert to inspect the trans for lack of lubrication and overheating.

Good luck and don't give up, it's a known problem.

Last edited by ZL-1; 01-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLS7
What can i do or tell them to help them understand that the car was not abused and that they need to honor my warranty?
Nothing from you, let your lawyer do the talking.
They'll never understand you, they might a shiester with specter of paying your legal bill along with repair(s).

It's up to Chevrolet to prove an allegation of abuse they're claiming negates their warranty. Not you.
They can't & they know it, but they'll sure as hell try to screw if they think can get away with it.

GM had best watch their step, remember they can only hurt the ones who love 'em.
After they've screwed everyone here in the states, they'll have no choice but to sell all their products to the Chinese because Americans will reject 'em outright.

A reputation left to stink is damned hard to forget so the MBA brainstems running GM now had better come up with a new game plan.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
Call Obama!
I often wonder if the constant attempts to make these threads political are really necessary.

It adds nothing to the thread.

Anyway, we've been talking about this for a few (weeks?) now and while I realize it's only a small percentage of vehicles to which this is happening, it's still making me a little gun shy about pulling the trigger.

*sigh*

Stupid GM. (pick a reason.)

Last edited by Big Top Gt; 01-06-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: proofreading and editing.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
BLKLS7
Advanced

thanks for all the input guys i appreciate it. Anymore things?

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer said it was abuse???!!??

Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
BLKLS7
Advanced

I got an update from the people at GM today, they said they are standing by their word on not covering my transmission. Already got in contact with a lawyer so we will see how it goes from here....
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've said this many times the service I've had our 2 BMW's has made my wife a life long buyer. Brand new rental everytime, in and out with that rental in 15-20min everytime, just awesome freaking service. It may just be our local dealer because there are horror stories everywhere, but it's almost a treat to bring my wife's X5 in. She's driving a 2009 330i as a loaner now and loves it too.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend of mine, BlaznZ06 on this forum, had his 06Z06 motor replaced under warranty at a local dealer.. they forgot to refill his trans fluid after the engine replacement. I don't remember whether he even made it home from the dealer, but I do remember hearing about a tow truck to get the car shortly after the engine work. Sounds like this is exactly what happened to you.

Also look up the magnusson moss warranty act. Unless they can PROVE abuse, they have to honor the warranty.

Good luck.
Andi

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealer said it was abuse???!!??