Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What would YOU do to make your LS7 heads bulletproof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
There is more than a fair share of documented failures. What scares me more is besides the failures the number of heads with worn guides is very high from what I've seen. They aren't failing yet but the guides are wearing. I'm replacing mine because my friends guides were completely shot with 10k miles on the car. I bought brand new heads because I didn't want to wait to send them off, get them replaced and get them back. I'm selling my stock heads to recoup the cost of the new ones. I'll pay more but have very little downtime. Not a bad way to go if you only want your car down for a day or two. Get some heads ready to go then swap them.

Again, what's a "fair share" and what differentiates these from yours? Guides wear - that's a fact. How fast they wear and why is what I'm looking for.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
I'm sure you can find some form of balance but when using the heavier valve one needs a different strength spring and that will cause a much different lifter and cam lobe loading issue. I would think that would not be good for a high rpm motor for long term reliability.
Cams are typically composed of exceptionally durable steel alloys and heat treated extensively.....we aren't dealing with a flat tapper cam here after all.

As for the lifters....I haven't heard of any roller failures and since the lifters are of the hydraulic variety the added load is offset by oil pressure.

And to be funny.....stock intake valves are heavier then exhaust valves so the system is already at an imbalance. (slight as it may be)
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Okay, I have to ask because I just don't know. Are sodium filled, SS, and inconel the only options for exhaust valves? Is titanium not available or a poor choice?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Okay, I have to ask because I just don't know. Are sodium filled, SS, and inconel the only options for exhaust valves? Is titanium not available or a poor choice?
Sodium filled are Titanium.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Six-Gun-Todd
Cams are typically composed of exceptionally durable steel alloys and heat treated extensively.....we aren't dealing with a flat tapper cam here after all.

As for the lifters....I haven't heard of any roller failures and since the lifters are of the hydraulic variety the added load is offset by oil pressure.

And to be funny.....stock intake valves are heavier then exhaust valves so the system is already at an imbalance. (slight as it may be)
40% increase in weight is serious Sh-- at 7K
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Hell on a lighter note this is a photo of one of the valves that were in Dale Jr's Corvette when he crashed it at Infinion a few years ago. A friend of mine bought the left overs and tore the engine down and sent Dale the parts and he autographed them.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

40% increase in weight is serious Sh-- at 7K
True.....but our offshore 1200 hp BBC engines get parked at 7400 rpm for the duration of a boat race (30-40 minutes straight per race) and a 60% differential in weight between titanium intake and inconel exhaust valves show no difference in wear on the components you noted. Granted we run 80-100 lbs more exhaust spring pressure.....but the cam and lifters (solid roller) look identical lobe to lobe.

But honestly....if it let's you sleep more sound at night far be it from a race engine builder to persuade you otherwise
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Six-Gun-Todd
True.....but our offshore 1200 hp BBC engines get parked at 7400 rpm for the duration of a boat race (30-40 minutes straight per race) and a 60% differential in weight between titanium intake and inconel exhaust valves show no difference in wear on the components you noted. Granted we run 80-100 lbs more exhaust spring pressure.....but the cam and lifters (solid roller) look identical lobe to lobe.

But honestly....if it let's you sleep more sound at night far be it from a race engine builder to persuade you otherwise
I'm not talking about 30 minute races or a quarter mile run, I'm talking about a street machine that can go over 100K miles, do you track the data of your end users on the street or are they mostly garage queens. We are talking about reciprocating resonance and what it can do long term. Also with all do respects, I never heard of ya before.

Last edited by jimman; 09-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sodium filled are Titanium.
Originally posted by UNREAL

"No they aren't. They are 2 piece friction welded hollow stainless valves that are filled with sodium."
with UNREAL
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Like Gannet said, the exhaust valves are steel. They are a two piece design. A hollow stem that is filled with sodium then friction welded to a solid steel head. They are lighter than solid SS valves because of the sodium/hollow part.

Ti valves are expensive. Intake valves are $125 each, exhaust valves are $35 each (MSRP). If you can find Ti valves for about $85 each so 8 of them are ~$700. Plus Ti valves don't like heat as much. Looks like porsche guys and people who run Ti exhaust valves normally go with high end exotic valve seats (Copper Berylium) to help dissapate heat.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

i called trick flow today and they do not have the powedered metal guides. i was told by a supplier that they do but this can now be confirmed that they do not. (more bad internet info) they did give me the number to total engine airflow and i talked to them. they told me they are seeing lots of guide failures in the ls7 as well. he said the guide is an odd size and bronze is the only option at this time. they did state that the powdered metal guide will wear a lot less than the bronze. they told me there was a geometry issue with the ls7 heads. they sugested changing rockers. just a little more info from a machinest to add to the mix of possible problems. i am currious as to how many people have ss valves and bronze guides in their set ups and are going to be trouble free long term. i know there are people running them and they do work but how many miles have they put on them with less wear than stock? i am leaning in this direction with mine.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
kirks5oh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting discussion. i'm about to upgrade the cam in my car, and have decided to have the heads pulled, and get some work done on them. i'm assuming WCCH is one of the premier shops to get this done at??

i'm not looking for the absolute maximum hp increase (i want driveability), but would like to get them milled a bit. i'm assuming WCCH will give us (myself and my shop/builder) options to upgrade all the necessary components (springs, valves, etc). anything that i need to specify when i talk with the shop as far as upgrading the heads (other than the amount of material i want milled)?? does WCCH need to know the specs of the cam i plan on using??
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Like Gannet said, the exhaust valves are steel. They are a two piece design. A hollow stem that is filled with sodium then friction welded to a solid steel head. They are lighter than solid SS valves because of the sodium/hollow part.

Ti valves are expensive. Intake valves are $125 each, exhaust valves are $35 each (MSRP). If you can find Ti valves for about $85 each so 8 of them are ~$700. Plus Ti valves don't like heat as much. Looks like porsche guys and people who run Ti exhaust valves normally go with high end exotic valve seats (Copper Berylium) to help dissapate heat.
Interesting, Gm parts quote MSRP, intake $123 and exhaust $70.00
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Interesting, Gm parts quote MSRP, intake $123 and exhaust $70.00
I took my prices from parts taxi. I just ordered 8 2.25" Ti intake valves. $1100. Ti is not cheap.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

I took my prices from parts taxi. I just ordered 8 2.25" Ti intake valves. $1100. Ti is not cheap.
heads MSRP $1765 and change each and as you all know, no guides sold separately. I'm getting mine pulled at the end of the month to check clearances. This could get ugly.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

My engine failed Tuesday. First there was a little vibration just before I put the clutch in to shift from 3rd to 4th and when I put the clutch in the tach dropped to zero. Coasted to a stop with lots of white smoke all around the car. Coolant was coming out of the exhaust. Just for the hell of it I hit the start button and the engine cranked but made a sort of thumping noise. Later on after getting the car trailered home I hit the start button and it actually fired and ran with a lot of rattling before I could hit the off button. Talked to the Service Writer today and he told me the mechanic had pulled the spark plugs and valve covers. There was nothing he could see wrong from the top of the engine. All valve springs, valves and related hardware were where they should be. When he inspected the cylinders with a bore scope he saw one cylinder wall with a hole in it. They are waiting for instructions from GM now. Most likely will pull the ECM programming and send that to GM and may actually pull the ECM to send to them. They have done both before. He told me sometimes GM asks them to pull the engine and send it back before authorizing replacement but he hopes that doesn't happen since it ties up a lift from the time they send it to GM until they get approval to order a new engine and get it installed.

At this time they have no idea what caused the failure although he doesn't think it was a valve failure.

Bill
Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

My heads were done by Richard at WCCH a month or so ago and believe it or not with less then 3000 miles on them there was excessive exhaust guide wear on all of them! c

Get notified of new replies

To What would YOU do to make your LS7 heads bulletproof?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,546 Likes on 2,620 Posts

Sorry to hear this, Bill. Keep us posted on what they find and how you get treated by GM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ramairws6
My heads were done by Richard at WCCH a month or so ago and believe it or not with less then 3000 miles on them there was excessive exhaust guide wear on all of them! c
What all was done to them? Please list replaced parts and brand if you can.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My engine failed Tuesday.
Bill
Sorry to hear Bill. I wonder if the exhaust valve head snapped off, leaving the stem in place. That would make it difficult to say by looking at the top of the head because I'd think everything would look normal. Any mods to the car?

Quick Reply: [Z06] What would YOU do to make your LS7 heads bulletproof?