Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My ls7 engine fails ,, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Daytona-flyer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Landru
it was my understanding only tunes and/or anything where the engine's opened voided warranty.
So much for my take.

Thought his bio said Kuwait.

His mods should not have voided the warrantee. You know GM, they will claim the engine mods needed a proper tune.

His location on the post only says Hadiya. I know of the one in Ethiopia, I didn't know there was a Hadiya in Kuwait too.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I'll only add that if it goes pop and your modification was the cause, then don't expect GM to pick up the bill. If the oil pump failed and your mod was headers, GM owes you a new engine. It really is that simple.
I am sure you are far more learned in these matters than I, so I wouldn't argue -What you say regarding the oil pump is no doubt correct.

I would have thought that the company might have argued that a 'tune' could , by virtue of its inherent capacity to enhance the vehicle's performance potential, increase the stresses on the iternal components to a level beyond their rated design capacity.

It is my general experience of Warranties, that they are all 'fine' until you need to avail yourself of their guarantees - then the small print becomes imporant,and it assumes an importance ever greater, in direct portion to the size of the queue of those behind you, wishing to express the same complaint as yourself.

If the faulty vehicle is entirely standard with regard to the manufacurer's design specifications, then its worried owner will surely have less to worry about.
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dicaprio_z06
Hello guys

i have 07 z06 and my engine fails due to oil pump fails (the engine F***ed up)
i don't know if it's covered by the warranty or not
i spoke to the service manager he told we received a report from GM refusing to change the engine.

the car modified with kooks headers and VR intake only does it drops the warranty Bcoz that's their reason to refuse

so what to do? any advice?
Sorry to hear about your motor... how do you know the oil pump failed if the dealer didn't tell you?

There are a few members in Kuwait with Z06s. You should do a search and PM them, they may know a good local dealer or shop you can talk to... probably better than the advice us Amreekee's can give you
Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
His mods should not have voided the warrantee. You know GM, they will claim the engine mods needed a proper tune.
Based on some empirical evidence, they do.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

One would think, just as another poster ("Lawdog") noted.
Essentially there's really no correlation between a failed oil pump & headers etc.
Obviously, Chevrolet knows something no one else does.

I've noticed coporations don't seem to care about bad PR in this lousy economy. They care more about survival, apparently.

For example I've owned Hot Springs hot tubs for years, 4 of 'em in total. Solely because HS' iron clad 5 yr P&L warranty which had to be used in the past, no problemo. Tried making a (legit) claim with 'em couple months ago, they told me to pound sand.
The mo sounds awfully familiar.

His location on the post only says Hadiya. I know of the one in Ethiopia, I didn't know there was a Hadiya in Kuwait too.
Checkout his bio page.
Could swear it said he's in Kuwait.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the third new "blown ls7" post since Monday.

The ratio is starting to rise.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

why do I have the feeling we all are being played?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't you need a tune when you add headers and a vararam?if you weren't going to get a tune why even add them.

Last edited by bgreen83; 08-12-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
songman3
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob09ZCG
I'm beginning to wonder that - would almost be better if we were
Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bgreen83
don't you need a tune when you add headers and a vararam?if you weren't going to get a tune why even add them.
As I've been alluding, yes you do. Headers can actually cause problems without being properly tuned to compensate (i.e. pinging and/or detonation).

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 08-12-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM
dicaprio_z06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnx for the replys
Hadiya is the town where i live :P in Kuwait

I ask the dealer before i fix the headers and vr they said if you not open the engine that's fine but anything you aftermarket fix we will not cover it by warranty, now after this problem came they said another thing. i'm sure it's from the oil pump Bcoz when i started the engine again LOW OIL PRESSURE sign came and the gauge is reading below 100Kpa then dropped to Zero

i had fix the headers and intake but not yet tuned with someone (vette is his wife) had a tunening license and he was learning from lingenfelter people here in your country

now i'm waiting the report from the dealer ( i wanna fight )
my friend have knock noise in his car transmission he passed the warranty enddate and it will be repaired under warranty Bcoz he claimed before ending date,, BS they are playing
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob09ZCG
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

thnx for the replys
Hadiya is the town where i live :P in Kuwait

I ask the dealer before i fix the headers and vr they said if you not open the engine that's fine but anything you aftermarket fix we will not cover it by warranty, now after this problem came they said another thing. i'm sure it's from the oil pump Bcoz when i started the engine again LOW OIL PRESSURE sign came and the gauge is reading below 100Kpa then dropped to Zero
So are you saying the engine idles fine but just no oil pressure?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
dicaprio_z06
Heel & Toe

The engine idles fine "yes" but no oil pressure and little more louder sound comming from the engine

Anyone here from GM?

Last edited by dicaprio_z06; 08-12-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 AM
songman3
Racer

The engine idles fine "yes" but no oil pressure and little more louder sound comming from the engine

Anyone here from GM?
Just to say - I had exacty the same symptoms when my engine failed.

The oil pump was fine - crakshaft bearings had failed.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune - best of luck with the dealer
Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Mrimpala02
Instructor

Guy's I had the same exact failure on my '09 Z with 10,3XXmi on it. Oil pump pressure went down to 6psi at idle and was about 21psi at 4k rpm. Took it in to the dealer on a sat. said it probably was just the oil pressure switch. Swapped that out the following Monday under warranty. Didnt solve problem so they moved to the oil pump and that's when they found metal shavings. Tore engine down crank bearing were shot. Long story short I have a new engine on the way should be back in car in couple of weeks and one months note paid. My only mod on the car was an custom axle back exhaust and wheels.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mrimpala02
Guy's I had the same exact failure on my '09 Z with 10,3XXmi on it. Oil pump pressure went down to 6psi at idle and was about 21psi at 4k rpm. Took it in to the dealer on a sat. said it probably was just the oil pressure switch. Swapped that out the following Monday under warranty. Didnt solve problem so they moved to the oil pump and that's when they found metal shavings. Tore engine down crank bearing were shot. Long story short I have a new engine on the way should be back in car in couple of weeks and one months note paid. My only mod on the car was an custom axle back exhaust and wheels.
Crank bearing failure on an '09?

Did you track it? Now I'm worried.

Side note, since these engines are hand assembled, what is the probability that the assembly could be intermittently prone to human error?

Get notified of new replies

To My ls7 engine fails ,, help

Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrimpala02
wow..is this our first failed 09?
glad to hear your getting a new motor though..
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Mrimpala02
Instructor

Originally Posted by EViL427
Crank bearing failure on an '09?

Did you track it? Now I'm worried.

Side note, since these engines are hand assembled, what is the probability that the assembly could be intermittently prone to human error?
No my car has never been tracked. Just the usual spirited driving that we all usually do. The bearing issue came a failed oil pump. So im not sure if that could be blamed on a assembly issue. Car was built 07/08.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Mrimpala02
Instructor

Originally Posted by American Psycho
wow..is this our first failed 09?
glad to hear your getting a new motor though..
LOL! Thats a title that I could have lived without.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My ls7 engine fails ,, help