Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many C6 Z06 Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
blemley
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many C6 Z06 Engine Failures

Just wondering if I could get a response from this one. I had 14309 miles on my 2006 (5 oil changes) when a rod bearing let go. The Dealer was not allowed to touch it and it was picked up by Bowling Green and they had it for a month putting in a new motor. They told me that it had happened once before. No, I'm not happy.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

that would not make anyone happy. Did they give you any other information concerning cause and why one month? Understand they would complete a complete analysis to determine the root cause but one month? Holy cow
Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

If I'm not mistaken a few of the weaker engine parts have been upgraded in later models...like the valve springs for one I know.

Sorry for your troubles but glad to see GM fixing your car with a new engine.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Did they give you any other information concerning cause and why one month? Understand they would complete a complete analysis to determine the root cause but one month? Holy cow
Too many oil changes.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
blemley
Cruising

Actually is was more like six weeks they had the car as the dealer didn't quite communicate with factory for almost two weeks. I went on a trip for a couple of weeks, then went back to get a rental car (a Cobalt with roll up windows) and my car was still in the lot!

Yes if this had been some lexus or such they would have just put another engine in at the dealer. I wouldn't have gotten all the phone calls from Detroit and the factory. The trouble with all this for me is that I just can't see one of the strongest engines ever put in a production car letting go. The factory offered me 2 months worth of payments and then told the local GM rep to give me one month. Which was nice but I didn't like getting my hopes up for two months and then being offered one. I still haven't received anything though. (the trouble started in April).

I'm Glad to hear that some things have been upgraded, but with the rear end falling out of this one and the engine grenading, This is the worst corvettes I've had yet.

Any one else have an engine let go?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Too many oil changes.
I can't see how it would have needed that many oil changes in such a few miles.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
blemley
Cruising

Bored are we?
Ok ok, I specifically asked the GM engineers if the Oil changes where a problem and they said I should be able to change the oil EVERY DAY if I wanted and it would have NOTHING to do with this engine failure.

I was wondering if Any one else had an catastrophic engine failure.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Davesz06
Advanced

I have a buddy who had his engine drop a valve with less than 1500 miles, the factory told him weeks after word that a few Z06s did the same thing. GM offered him 6 year 100 thousand miles after almoust a mounth down time. Car is an early 06 Z06.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by blemley

I'm Glad to hear that some things have been upgraded, but with the rear end falling out of this one and the engine grenading, This is the worst corvettes I've had yet.

Any one else have an engine let go?
Noticed in your profile, you have a 2005 Z06, what car do you have?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
layjzay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When did gm upgrade the valve springs? Is there a different part #?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by layjzay
When did gm upgrade the valve springs? Is there a different part #?
I think they did on 07' models, but they may have before that.\?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

Parts fail, it's just a fact of life. Even if you x-ray, magniflux, and hand inspect every single part, they will fail. I see no reason not to simply stick with the manufactureres recommendation for oil changes, and take advantage of your warranty. I personally would also not own a vehicle like this out of warranty (buy a good extended).

I went through a similar situation with a ZR1. I just missed the engine swap cut-off, and GM made my dealer rebuild the engine. They did it WRONG 3 times (installed the cam tensioners wrong, causing the front of the camshafts to snap off) before finally getting it right. Many months later, I got it back and sold it ASAP. Be glad you are getting a new engine, and good warranty, and don't be too worried about it happening again. It could, but statistically you are pretty safe.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
blemley
Cruising

Originally Posted by augydog
Noticed in your profile, you have a 2005 Z06, what car do you have?
Sorry about that, I updated my profile. It's my third Z06 which is now the Triple 6 (2006 C6 Z06) and it's still black. Since all this, I have a Red 08 on order so as to have the new power train warranty.

Last edited by blemley; 08-16-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yours is the first case I've heard of where the entire car was sent back to Bowling Green for an engine replacement - they usually send the new engine to the dealer and let the dealer install it. I didn't think they were set up to do that kind of work at BG. Anyway, there have been cases of engine failure where low end bearings are fried, usually the crackshaft bearings and usually after the owner sees very low oil pressure for no apparent reason.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess failed engines go back to haunt the builder's performance review?

Its nice to see it go back - so they possibly evaluate what went wrong and possibly improve future engines (like the valve springs etc).

A "reputed source" mentioned to me that the LS7 engine was "hit-or-miss"at the track. Thats the reason this thread had me interested. I have yet to see any "misses". Any horror stories?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blemley
Bored are we?
Ok ok, I specifically asked the GM engineers if the Oil changes where a problem and they said I should be able to change the oil EVERY DAY if I wanted and it would have NOTHING to do with this engine failure.

I was wondering if Any one else had an catastrophic engine failure.
It was a joke. Obviously, oil changes won't destroy the motor but on the other hand, senseless, useless oil changes kind of bother me though. The terrorists don't need any more support from us.

On the upside, it looks like GM is taking care of you. Since that motor is relatively new with new technologies, I can see why they want to examine them to determine the cause of failure. (oil changes not withstanding ) That's a good thing for you, us and all future owners.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I can't see how it would have needed that many oil changes in such a few miles.
If you road race it then it would. I have 25K on mine and probaly 20+ oil changes due to racing it.

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Yours is the first case I've heard of where the entire car was sent back to Bowling Green for an engine replacement - they usually send the new engine to the dealer and let the dealer install it. I didn't think they were set up to do that kind of work at BG. Anyway, there have been cases of engine failure where low end bearings are fried, usually the crackshaft bearings and usually after the owner sees very low oil pressure for no apparent reason.
We just sent a 2007 Ron Fellows back for a new motor due to a rocker arm coming apart and the needle bearings going all over the motor. The customer wanted a new motor and GM picked the car up on a covered transporter and sent it back. 4 weeks later the car was back and a new motor installed.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many C6 Z06 Engine Failures

Old 08-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Did these needle bearings actually cause a problem? I've seen tons of needle bearings fall out of rocker arms and never a single one cause a problem. They just fall down to the pan. I'd hate to see a complete drivetrain teardown just because a couple of needle bearings fell into the pan. The worst case I ever saw was an LS1 Camaro, we couldn't find a couple after a few thousand miles and a couple more oil changes. We wound up taking off the oil pan and intake and found them. I think tearing a whole engine out is just asking for more problems, due to the u-touched it theory. Let alone the risk of shipping a car twice across the country. Probably why that program is dead.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Why can we not get a list of changes GM made and when they were instituted for 06/07/08 for all parts? Shocks ,now possibly springs etc. Why this "game"?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
rjpmet
Instructor

Default Engine failure

I have a triple 6 as well, no problems to date 8500 miles and I sure hope I do not have any either.

That would not make me happy, especially not having the Z for a month!

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many C6 Z06 Engine Failures