Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another dropped exhaust valve, lesson learned, need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
AreOhBeeC6Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dropped exhaust valve, lesson learned, need some ideas

I am the latest victim of the dreaded LS7 exhaust valve drop My car is a 2006, has 29k miles and Intake/Headers/Ported TB/Manifold/Tuned by CMS. The valves were not upgraded at the time, was something I was looking to do down the road when I upgrade the cam but now it looks like I am going to need a new motor. At the time of the incident, I was making a left hand turn onto a busy street, going about 40mph, 2nd gear coasting along and all of a sudden the car got louder, my initial reaction was something with the exhaust came loose, but before I made it to the side of the road, I heard lot's of noise coming from the motor and seconds later a big puff of white smoke.

This is not a thread however to bash the LS7 or GM, but simply a thread to get some ideas from others that have been through this headache situation and what they did to get their car back on the road stronger than ever. My car spent most of it's life in the garage during the week, occasional redline pulls to 7k/spirited driving and participated in two side by side events put together by the guys at Shift-S3ctor.

Any issues with dropping motors even after upgrading the valves? My current plan would be to go with another LS7 with the upgraded heads with a upgraded streetable cam, not sure if I want to port the heads while I'm at it or not? Would I also need a clutch? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AreOhBeeC6Z
I am the latest victim of the dreaded LS7 exhaust valve drop My car is a 2006, has 29k miles and Intake/Headers/Ported TB/Manifold/Tuned by CMS. The valves were not upgraded at the time, was something I was looking to do down the road when I upgrade the cam but now it looks like I am going to need a new motor. At the time of the incident, I was making a left hand turn onto a busy street, going about 40mph, 2nd gear coasting along and all of a sudden the car got louder, my initial reaction was something with the exhaust came loose, but before I made it to the side of the road, I heard lot's of noise coming from the motor and seconds later a big puff of white smoke.

This is not a thread however to bash the LS7 or GM, but simply a thread to get some ideas from others that have been through this headache situation and what they did to get their car back on the road stronger than ever. My car spent most of it's life in the garage during the week, occasional redline pulls to 7k/spirited driving and participated in two side by side events put together by the guys at Shift-S3ctor.

Any issues with dropping motors even after upgrading the valves? My current plan would be to go with another LS7 with the upgraded heads with a upgraded streetable cam, not sure if I want to port the heads while I'm at it or not? Would I also need a clutch? Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
So it had the stock exhaust valves in it?

We were just talking about this yesterday.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Please all of you modded guys get your heads upgraded! Good luck in your new build OP. make it amazing.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure that car will be a beast after CMS mods it again for u
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang sorry to hear this. My 06 had 37K on stock guides but had upgraded solid exh valves. The guides were extremely worn.

Plan on going with a stock short block?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Please all of you modded guys get your heads upgraded! Good luck in your new build OP. make it amazing.
and maybe pointless at this point but OP should have the guides measured in his heads , I'd be curious to see measurements

OP sorry about your car this blows good luck with the rebuild
Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

It seems like this scenario is just a matter of time for all Z owners??
Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bummer to hear, this strikes close to home as I've got an 06 with almost 22k miles and soon will get similar mods & tune. I guess I'll invest in a set of heads sooner than I thought.

How many miles on the setup?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 AM
1981turbota
Racer

Sorry to hear about the damage, good luck with the rebuild!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 AM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im doing my 06 now , a new block , Calies stroked 440 crank , Manley rods , clevite bearings , Wisco pistons , reworked stock heads with new valve guilds , dual springs , stock titanium intake and inconel exhaust valves

Or you can buy a short block from Katec nicely prepped for around $7-7500 and a set of heads for around $3500 , which is a good deal if you have to buy a block and want to stay with stock displacement .
Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 AM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Bummer to hear, this strikes close to home as I've got an 06 with almost 22k miles and soon will get similar mods & tune. I guess I'll invest in a set of heads sooner than I thought.

Dont guess , stop driving the car and have new valve guids put in the heads NOW .

Taking the heads off and replacing the valve guilds is stupid cheap compared to buying a new motor .

You dont need new heads or valves tho , just new guides installed that fit the valves better

Mine popped sitting at a traffic light
Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 AM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Sorry to hear op........but remember the shop that starts with a K has never seen this.it's the pistons.lol...I got to ask why in the hell would anyone buy from someone that says the valves are not a problem?or that there even is a problem, they've never seen it?...the wrighting has been on the wall for years...it's happing to all ranges of miles stock to modded it doesn't matter..most of the time the car shows know warrning sighs,and will have all of it's power till it blows...untill ppl stand up in numbers this will keep happing, and GM don't give a f*** about you or your car. it's the last gm car I will ever buy.

Last edited by chadyellowz06; 10-18-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 AM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by zoomz
Dont guess , stop driving the car and have new valve guids put in the heads NOW .

Taking the heads off and replacing the valve guilds is stupid cheap compared to buying a new motor .

You dont need new heads or valves tho , just new guides installed that fit the valves better
I would be replacing the part that keeps breaking weather it caused the problem or not
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 AM
AreOhBeeC6Z
Racer

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Would a stock short block be sufficient enough for a street car? I am trying to save as much as I can and at the same time without going half ***. I'd like to go with my old modifications with upgraded exhaust valves and a street cam.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
So it had the stock exhaust valves in it?

We were just talking about this yesterday.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Yes, stock exhaust valves thanks man!

Originally Posted by briancb1
Dang sorry to hear this. My 06 had 37K on stock guides but had upgraded solid exh valves. The guides were extremely worn.

Plan on going with a stock short block?
Most likely scenario would be a stock short block, buy the parts on my own and have CMS put it all together for me.

Originally Posted by FrankTank
and maybe pointless at this point but OP should have the guides measured in his heads , I'd be curious to see measurements

OP sorry about your car this blows good luck with the rebuild
Thanks man! I'll get all that once I start the process

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

I had about 8k miles on the setup. I'd do this as soon as you can, considering what I just went through.

Last edited by AreOhBeeC6Z; 10-18-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by AreOhBeeC6Z
Thanks for the kind words fellas. Would a stock short block be sufficient enough for a street car? I am trying to save as much as I can and at the same time without going half ***. I'd like to go with my old modifications with upgraded exhaust valves and a street cam.

Yes, stock exhaust valves thanks man!

Most likely scenario would be a stock short block, buy the parts on my own and have CMS put it all together for me.

Thanks man! I'll get all that once I start the process

I had about 8k miles on the setup. I'd do this as soon as you can, considering what I just went through.
I think what you mentioned above is fine for the street. The Guides/valves seem to be the main issue, rest of the motor is fine. I would go with stock block, street cam, upgraded heads good tune and you should be good to go

When I mentioned having the guides measured, I was talking about the guides from the heads on the motor that blew, just to see what they looked like, I should have been more specific.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Iceman427
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
It seems like this scenario is just a matter of time for all Z owners??
No, all ~28k Z's will not have this happen. Go crawl back in your anti Z06 hole.

Get notified of new replies

To Another dropped exhaust valve, lesson learned, need some ideas

Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock Short Block would be fine, or get Forged Pistons then leave the rest stock those are the only "weak" part of the stock bottom end which is already good for 650+whp
Old 10-18-2012, 10:27 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Iceman427
No, all ~28k Z's will not have this happen. Go crawl back in your anti Z06 hole.
Well maybe it might happen to all of them if we wait long enough and nothing else blows up while we're waiting...like Jimman who has 160,000 miles on his, it could just be a matter of time before he too drops a valve

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomz

Did you have stock, factory installed GM guides when it popped? If so, did you replace them with another set of GM guides or with a bronze alternative?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another dropped exhaust valve, lesson learned, need some ideas