Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My Engine Blew at 2600 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 AM
raceguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Blew at 2600 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to take the time to let the forum know that my brand new 2006 Corvette Z06 blew an engine at 2600 miles.
I was attending a drivers education event at Summit Point WV with a sanctioned club. (NOT A TIMED EVENT!!!!!!!!) While shifting from third to forth gear doing about a 100 MPH on the straight away I noticed a low oil pressure warning from the computer. I immediately let off the gas pedal and decreased speed untill I could safely pull off. Before I could shut down the engine, the engine was shutting down on its own. Radiator fluid was shooting out the drivers side reservoir and I knew at this point I had a serious problem on my hands. After the car cooled down following a long period of time I attempted to start the engine. Bad noise and plenty of white smoke came from my car, I knew I was screwed. Stuck in WV I live in PA and did not trailer the car. I called GM for assistance, they were only willing to tow w/in 20 miles (gee, what assistance). With a problem this severe I wanted the Dealership I purchased the car from to take care of this situation, (maybe I would have a little more pull with them). I was fortunate to have the use of a fellow drivers trailer. The Vette barley fit, and I was nervous the whole time returning to PA. watching the trailer sway from side to side. I made it.
The rest of the story gets worse from here.
I am very upset with the way GM has handled and is still currently taking care of my problem. I have already been accused of racing, After they had replaced the engine and only after I talked to an attorney. They explained that they replaced the engine in goodwill. The repair took 29 days in the shop. Just shy of the 30 day PA state lemon law (imagine that?), may I add no offer of a loaner vehicle.
All I asked for in consideration for this very difficult situation was the same warranty that they are now giving away to 2007 owners to restore some sense of my confidence in my vehicle. They refused. I then explained that this incident devalued my car, to which they said that was a matter of opinion a total contradiction when The same GM dealership sales Dept. already told me they would offer me $62000.00 for the car if I wanted an 2007 for a trade in. I told them I paid $80000.00 less then 7 months before ($5000.00 over MSRP) The Sales manager told me I was lucky to get that because he would have to explain the engine replacement to the next person that would consider purchasing this car. Proof that my car had indeed been devalued. He then suggested to my surprise that I seek legal consel. I did! This whole messy situation could have been avoided if GM knew how to take care of an upper scale type of clientel such as a Vette owner willing to pay in upwards of $75k for a car. I can say w/ no hesitation that I am treated in a far different way w/regard to my two BMW's. After a recall on the engine of my 2002 BMW M3 I was voluntarily given a 5 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. I am also given the keys to another BMW for transportation while my cars are in the shop for any length of time, in or out of warranty!
I hope this story helps some of you to come to your own conclusions.
I will keep the forum informed of the outcome to all this.
Sorry if I was so long winded but I felt there was a need to take this time to inform those who might care!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

What happened to the engine and what caused it?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like a bad relationship with the dealer for starters. What amazes me about Chevrolet is that the car is marketed as a detuned race car. They praize its performance in 0-60, 1/4 mile and brilliant top speeds. The car is always promoted as a performance use car. The DVD that comes with the car shows it screaming around a track at over a G and roasting the tires off the car.

My understanding from talking to a few engineers at GM was that as long as the cars did not have a roll cage and significantly modified that any drivetrain problems would be covered. GM has always encouraged "back yard", weekend warrior racers. We are the ones that make GM look good.

I'm sure there will be more support as this thread unfolds!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:03 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06

Glad they fixed it for you.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

Dave Hill says in the DVD that comes with the car, this car can be driven to the race track, raced and then driven home ( I don't remember the exact words). If he endorsed this, then why is GM denying warrantee claims, this doesn't make any sense at all?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM
raceguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
They explained that #3 bearing had spun. No further info has been provided to me.
Since my consultation with a lawyer they have stopped communicating w/me. The lawyer is now having a GM expert inspect the car.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by raceguy
While shifting from third to forth gear doing about a 100 MPH on the straight away
Are you sure you hit fourth and not second? This could be an engine "zing." If it was, you're lucky GM replaced it at all.

I'm sorry about the trouble you're going through. That sucks the big'n. But as others have said, I think there's more to this.

jas
Old 02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I had mine lock up at 3,828 miles just cruising on the interstate at a steading 71 mph @ 1,650 rpm.

It's unfortunate and I know what your going through, as far as having a new engine put in your car.

It should have been done without involving the lawyers though.

you were supposed to get a loaner car though.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
jimmy j
Racer

Why would GM give you a 07 warranty they gave you a new engine. You stll have two years left on the 06!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
raceguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jvp
Are you sure you hit fourth and not second? This could be an engine "zing." If it was, you're lucky GM replaced it at all.

I'm sorry about the trouble you're going through. That sucks the big'n. But as others have said, I think there's more to this.

jas
I'm a Nationally certified Porche Driving instructor and have been performance driving for almost 15 years. I know how to shift!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

Anytime an automaker replaces a blown motor when you are on the racetrack, you should call it a good day. Most other automakers would have denied your claim.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm a Nationally certified Porche Driving instructor and have been performance driving for almost 15 years. I know how to shift!
I point you to Occam's Razor, as to the reason why I asked the question (Google it). It would be interesting to see the "black box" data from this event. See what the car thinks happened.

jas
Old 02-10-2007, 11:16 AM
raceguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MyBeaches
Anytime an automaker replaces a blown motor when you are on the racetrack, you should call it a good day. Most other automakers would have denied your claim.
you might have missed the part where I explained this was not a timed event. I did nothing to cause this! your easily satisfied.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think it all comes down to the dealers attitude. They can most likely process the warranty as they see fit. There has been too much diversity in how claims are handled.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all, sorry about your incident. That's an awful feeling being stranded from home. I know how you felt with the trailer swaying which is why I always recommend those looking to tow, go with a goose-neck. Understandably you had no choice.

When I posted the story about the Carbon Stickers coming loose in the snorkel last year I also had to be towed and was only offered a ride to the closest dealership which wasn't my first choice, but fair. I chose to foot the bill and have it delivered to my dealership.

Everyone keeps talking about GM but the truth is the service dept. makes the call and GM simply backs them up. A good service director is key and unfortunately a rarity.

As far as you requesting a new warranty, I think you expect too much.
I own a 2006 Z06 as well and would love the 100K coverage but all Z06 buyers knew the policy on purchase. If HP is ever increased in future models do we deserve the new engine?

As far as your car being devalued, I wouldn't put too much stock in what the dealership offered you for your car, they are vultures. Should you really want to sell your car I'm sure you can get more for it even with the repair history.

They replaced your engine. Great!

I can't blame you for being aggravated as I can see this was no fun. It sounds like you're still mad and looking to settle a score by venting here. I have over 10,000 miles on my car with 1/2 of them being on the track. My car has also been driven hard by professional racers and it's still feels like it has 1 mile on it.

Have you left any other details out? Your driving skills. Maybe something you did inadvertantly? The engine is replaced. What other actions are required?

Mike

Last edited by Short-Throw; 02-10-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

They explained that #3 bearing had spun. No further info has been provided to me.
Since my consultation with a lawyer they have stopped communicating w/me. The lawyer is now having a GM expert inspect the car.
My opinion is this was an oiling problem. I assume you mean #3 crank bearing. When you lose oil pressure it is a crank bearing. once you see a low oil pressure light it is too late. I had race cars with lights that shined in my eyes when oil pressure got below 70 PSI under race conditions and I still could not get off the gas and save the engine. Once a crank bearing smears, the motor is history. Sorry for your problems.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
raceguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimmy j
Why would GM give you a 07 warranty they gave you a new engine. You stll have two years left on the 06!
To instill the confidence I needed at that time. I originally paid for a 5 year 36k extended warranty, imagine how I felt after GM started giving a far better warranty months later on the 2007's. I think it ridiculous that I was refused considering there is no chance in hell I will even make it to 36k in 5 years anyhow.

Get notified of new replies

To My Engine Blew at 2600 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:29 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

you might have missed the part where I explained this was not a timed event. I did nothing to cause this! your easily satisfied.
I'm not saying you did cause this. Just looking at it from their point of view.

Just because it wasnt "timed" does not mean someone wasn't racing ***** to the walls. My point is, when someone mentions the word "race track", that sets off all kinds of warning signals.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
raceguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MyBeaches
I assume you just bought your car to look at.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:34 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

To instill the confidence I needed at that time. I originally paid for a 5 year 36k extended warranty, imagine how I felt after GM started giving a far better warranty months later on the 2007's. I think it ridiculous that I was refused considering there is no chance in hell I will even make it to 36k in 5 years anyhow.
07's are also about 10% more expensive. The buyer of an 07 paid dearly for the extra warranty.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My Engine Blew at 2600 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!