Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] UPDATE #31...Body Work Is On...Katech Monster Hits The Track In 24 Hours. PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default UPDATE #31...Body Work Is On...Katech Monster Hits The Track In 24 Hours. PICS!!!

It's almost game time. I was hesitant to post these pics as there is still work to be done on the body in terms of fitment. But throughout the whole build, nobody here said anything realizing it wasn't done. It's still the case, so please bear with me a few more days!

The history is in these threads:

First Post My Z06 will no longer be my fastest car, but it's still my favorite
Second Post PICS UPDATE #1: The LS2-LS7 Swap Race Car Project PICS !!!
Third Post
PICS UPDATE #2: PICS Update #2 Bye Bye LS2... Make way for the LS7PICS !!!
Fourth Post PICS...UPDATE #3...Hopefully it will look like a Corvette again. PICS!!!
Fifth Post PICS----UPDATE #4---The most revealing shots yet, she is down to the bone!---PICS !!!
Sixth Post PICS---UPDATE #5---LS7 to undergo operation at KATECH---PICS !!!
Seventh Post MORE PICS !!!...UPDATE #6...Hopefully I'll Never Need It...PICS !!!
Eighth Post GREAT DETAILED PICS!!! UPDATE #7...The LS7 Is disassembled ...PICS !!!
Ninth Post Pics !!!...here We Go...update #8...fabrication Room Pics !!!
Tenth Post PICS PICS and more PICS...UPDATE #9...Inside the LS7
Eleventh Post[ PICS!!!...UPDATE #10....Project LS7 Katech race car...PICS !!!
Twelfth Post PICS !!!...UPDATE #11...LS7 Race car...Katech, Pratt&MIller & Dailey Sump..PICS !!!
Thirteenth Post UPDATE #12...LS7 Katech Racing Engine Pics...Eyecandy at it's best...PICS!!!
Fourteenth Post UPDATE #13...Katech's LS7...Fuel Cell Covers...more to come very soon...PICS!!!
Fifteenth Post UPDATE #14... Finally somewhere to sit...The ultimate in downforce...PICS !!!
Sixteenth Post UPDATE #15...Dream Brake/Clutch Pedal Assembly...Steering Wheel Rack...PICS !!!
Seventeenth Post It's Time To Stop Playing Games...UPDATE #16...Carbon Fiber Body Moldings...PICS !!!
Eighteenth Post UPDATE #17...Firewall & Steering Column Are Complete..Inside A Very Cool Shot..PICS!!
Nineteenth Post UPDATE #18...Next time you see it, the interior will be a different color. PICS !!!
Twentieth Post UPDATE #19...Do you recognize this color?...Sunglasses Are Advised...PICS !!!
Twenty-First Post UPDATE #20...6 Months Later And She Has Clothes On And She's Looking Good! PICS !!!
Twenty-Second Post UPDATE #21 The Perfect Ensemble For The Katech LS7. The Best Deserves The Best PICS
Twenty-Third Post UPDATE #22...Now how in the heck does all this stuff go back together? PICS !!!
Twenty-Fourth Post UPDATE #23...Tons Of Pictures. We Are Just A Few Weeks Away From Ignition. PICS!!
Twenty-Fifth Post UPDATE #24..The Car Is Days Away From Being Tuned On The Dyno. PICS !!!
Twenty-Sixth Post UPDATE #25...The Body Is Almost Complete And The Wing Has Been Fitted. PICS !!!
Twenty-Seventh Post UPDATE #26...The Car Will Breath Fire Tomorrow! She's Ready For The Dyno! PICS!
Twenty-Eighth Post UPDATE #27...The Katech Beast is alive!!! Tuning on the Dyno has started!..PICS !!!
Twenty-Ninth Post Update #28...VIDEO... Here's the shortest update ever!...Take a listen! VIDEO !!!
Thirtieth Post UPDATE #29...The final touches are being put in place. She'll be free soon....PICS!!
Thirty-First Post
UPDATE #30... A Close Look At The Pratt&Miller Wing...Possibly 4 Days Away. PICS!!!

Although all panels are on, there is still a little work to be completed for fit and finish. Getting the car out on track is a priority. Buffing the paint and adjusting some of the gaps will be finished up in the very near term.

A few more underpinnings need to be in place here to align the rear hatch.

Here's a good look at the front Lexan

Birds-Eye View. The rear panels will be bolted to the rear fascia tomorrow.

Suspension is ready to go!

Here is a very good look at the CF under-tray that sits below the front fascia. Notice how it splits the air to the sides.

Head on Shot.

Side View Shot.

Yes, the hood will be flush tomorrow.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The master panel is almost done. A few more switches and ***** go on tomorrow. This will eventually be replaced with CF. You can't bend CF, so we will make a template with the AL and change it over later.

This car will sit very low to the ground! I'd love these on my Z06, but they'd never make it on public roads for one day!

A good look at the front fascia and side skirts.

The rear hatch is sitting on the pin instead of through it here, but I still like the pic.

One of my favorites! Rear Hatch sitting better.

Tomorrow is crunch day. If all goes well, I will pick up the car tomorrow night and have it at the track Saturday morning. I will try to get some video although my pulse may be a bit high.

Next pics and video will show the entire car, wheels and all.

Get ready for some KATECH Rumble!

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,674 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Oh man.......................you are amazing Mike. I mean that in a totally good way. Many have said it, but you're having WAY too much fun. It is SPECTACULAR!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting excited too!

You should put the passenger seat in, you never know somebody might want to take a ride with you,
Old 07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

WWWWOOOOHHHOOO!!!! Showtime is almost here! Man I wish I could be there to see it rumble and to see the excitement on your face! Soon enough though!

Congrats Mike, the long wait is almost over. You deserve this!

Adam Boca
Old 07-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 613 Likes on 228 Posts

so close
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
LA Brit.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phenomenal...

One question - the front splitter doesn't have any air slots like the Z06 to aid in cooling the brakes, was it decided that the brakes have enough cooling?

Josh.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Oh man.......................you are amazing Mike. I mean that in a totally good way. Many have said it, but you're having WAY too much fun. It is SPECTACULAR!
Thanks a lot Clay!

I feel like it's a new pair of shoes....afraid to get them dirty.

I'm sure I'll get over it real quick!

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 805Z06
I am getting excited too!

You should put the passenger seat in, you never know somebody might want to take a ride with you,

The passenger seat goes in tomorrow. No reason I should be the only one scared!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Man I wish I could be there to see it rumble and to see the excitement on your face! Soon enough though!

Adam Boca
Let me know where you'll be. I'll point the exhaust your direction....you'll hear it!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Default Enjoy!

Most of us are living vacariously through you. So try & stop & pause to smell the fumes, enjoy the sensation of the first few turns, brakes, etc... I'm putting the pressure on you to be "bulldogmastiff like" in your description of the way the car feels when the time comes when you share it with us. Wow!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LA Brit.
Phenomenal...

One question - the front splitter doesn't have any air slots like the Z06 to aid in cooling the brakes, was it decided that the brakes have enough cooling?

Josh.
Josh,

There will be many things attended to over the next month as part of the initial shake out, including adding slots. We do have a plan to route air to the brakes. I'm not sure it will be completed tomorrow, but I will take pictures of it when it's done.

The Brembo GTR monoblocs I'm running will not make it so urgent.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1stZ
Most of us are living vacariously through you. So try & stop & pause to smell the fumes, enjoy the sensation of the first few turns, brakes, etc... I'm putting the pressure on you to be "bulldogmastiff like" in your description of the way the car feels when the time comes when you share it with us. Wow!
One of the things I really look forward towards, is the comparison between this car and my Z06. I'm sure there will be aspects that show us just how good our beloved Z06 is versus a true race car.

For starters, I can tell you right off the bat my Z06 has a much better stereo!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Default for a moment there....

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
One of the things I really look forward towards, is the comparison between this car and my Z06. I'm sure there will be aspects that show us just how good our beloved Z06 is versus a true race car.

For starters, I can tell you right off the bat my Z06 has a much better stereo!
You got me excited there for a sec!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Congrats Mike!

She looks amazing.

Dimitri
Old 07-13-2007, 12:47 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

As I remember Lou G. saying about Jace during the Forza Showdown on Speed -- just before he took the track for the final event (not verbatim, but you get the idea): "the butterflies are hitting him hard right now, but that's natural, that's to be expected. It's ok, though - they will go away as soon as the engine is fired..."

Mike, I can't add any superlatives other than what's already been said but to re-iterate this: Do the final safety and integrity checks -- then -- get that vehicle rolling on the track. Please.

Then, enjoy nothing other than:
the nervousness as the electronic and fuel systems come online. the sound of the engine as it fires and settles into idle. the exhaust note as it grumbles into gear, the rear diff whining as it runs through the RPM band, the clunk of the sequential during the shifts, the wind whipping through the windows, and then as the colors and shapes come screaming by at warp-speed you realize: THIS IS IT! I AM HERE!

Live those moments in their purity.

All the rest is irrelevant.

Cheers.
-Jim

PS- It couldnt hurt to have a few friends on-hand with video and still equipment to capture the moment as bystanders.

Last edited by 2KZ28CAM; 07-13-2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Fantastic job! We'll be waiting for your post after you get a little track time. Best of luck!

Get notified of new replies

To UPDATE #31...Body Work Is On...Katech Monster Hits The Track In 24 Hours. PICS!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Toonz
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

Originally Posted by 2KZ28CAM

Then, enjoy nothing other than:
the nervousness as the electronic and fuel systems come online. the sound of the engine as it fires and settles into idle. the exhaust note as it grumbles into gear, the rear diff whining as it runs through the RPM band, the clunk of the sequential during the shifts, the wind whipping through the windows, and then as the colors and shapes come screaming by at warp-speed you realize: THIS IS IT! I AM HERE!

Live those moments in their purity.

All the rest is irrelevant.

Cheers.
-Jim

Well said Jim!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

The car looks great Mike, everything is really coming together. Enjoy the moment they pass way to quickly. I look forward to hearing how Saturday goes. JD
Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It will not be long now.

TRR

Quick Reply: [Z06] UPDATE #31...Body Work Is On...Katech Monster Hits The Track In 24 Hours. PICS!!!