C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD install started on my 09 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default HUD install started on my 09 1LT

Figured I'd probably do more damage doing it the long way, so I'm doing the "cut-the-duct" method. So far, so good.

Not finished yet. But I think the hard parts are done.

Taking things apart was surprisingly easy. Shoe-horning the HUD in place & bolting it down was the most difficult part, and that's done! Tomorrow I plan to do the wiring if it's not too cold. I bought a harness, so I'm hoping the rest is easy.

I'll post some pics and a few tips when I'm finished -- that is, if everything works well and I don't screw it up (knock wood).

If you're considering this upgrade, I found these threads helpful:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-complete.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...available.html
http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20HUD%20...%20Rev%202.pdf
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-install.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...many-pics.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...staxi-com.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-the-dash.html

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 01-10-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added thread link
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
RedRider1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on the install. I have considered the HUD on my 1lt also.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Done! And it works great!!

Well, sitting in my garage it looks great. Too much snow in my neighborhood to go for a drive. So its back to sleep until Spring.

Some ideas/pics not shown in the above links:

1. Cold plastic can be brittle. So before removing the plastic instrument trim, I ran the engine & turned the interior heat to 90.

2. Trim was easy to remove with the plastic tool set (Actron) I got from amazon. $15. You don't need the whole set, but who knew?

3. Get a ratcheting 10mm open-end wrench. $12 at Ace Hardware. And I had to trim-off the tip of the handsaw blade (with a hacksaw) to cut all the way thru the duct.

(The saw above is shown before I trimmed it.)

4. Cut a notch in the HUD mounting tab with the small hole.

Makes it easier to line-up the mounting holes while you shoe-horn in the HUD unit.

5. Would've like the custom wiring harness to be a few inches longer. As is, it worked OK even after covering with elec tape. Just take your time and think it through.

6. Much easier identify wiring colors with good daylight.

7. I used lots of towels to prevent scratches to seats, steering wheel, trim, etc. But working space is tight. Long skinny arms are good. Big hands are a nuisance.

8. Near as I can tell, the wiring connectors are designed so that it's practically impossible to put 'em in the wrong slot. Just to be safe, I used post-its to label wiring bundles. Put screws in labeled snack baggies. And take lots of digital pics for later reference when you re-assemble. For instance, after re-installing the duct, the alignment shown on the left duct looks odd, but is factory correct (and it works that way).

9. HUD parts ($330) + custom harness ($75) + tools & stuff ($75)... I spent about $500. Plus, it was nice to have 2 unrushed weekdays to do this winter project without interruption.

10. Was it worth all the time, effort & $$$? I think it will be, but I'll reserve judgment until I get some on-the-road seat time. One thing's for sure: I have to wear glasses, and it's hard for my 57-year-old near-sighted eyes to quickly focus from the roadway to the speedo/tach. I'm hoping the HUD will solve that problem.

And the g-meter looks

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 05-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

glad it worked for ya, if you didnt already I would strongly consider soldering the wires into the car wires rather then the pinch/crimp connectors. WHY? one of mine didnt make good enuf contact and it freaked me out (thot i had a bad projector) , so i took each one apart and soldered them into the wires. Really a better way to do it and you dont have to worry about it again. The scotch connectors over the years working on cars i have thronw more of those away that lost connection and caused issues. be safe, paul
Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 AM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Very nice. Thanks for the write-up. Now you've got me thinking...........
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
geo2000
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks, great info, this is on my to-do list for the spring
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Well done. Great job on the install. My prediction is that you are really going to like the HUD once you start using it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

What did you use to put the A/C duct back together?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

see post #11

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 03-01-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: dupe
Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Well done. Great job on the install. My prediction is that you are really going to like the HUD once you start using it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
What did you use to put the A/C duct back together?
Glue + duct tape + aluminum tape. IMO an excellent seal -- and very secure after adjusting & tightening the hold-down screw on the left vent.

Note that the system is NOT pressurized -- it opens to the left vent -- so a perfect seal doesn't make any difference anyway.

I tried to simulate a worse-case scenario of rough-road induced misalignment of the duct... at worst, when misaligned, they securely jam together. Resulting max misalignment was a quarter-inch or so (the thickness of the duct wall).

Difficult to describe in words, but easy to understand when you do it.

Where to make the cut -- THAT'S the most critical part of cutting the duct. Of course you want enough room for the HUD to slide into place; but you also need additional space for your hand to reach the hold-down bolt after you get the HUD in place.

So make the cut as far right as practical... just left of where the duct wall is thickest (which is to the left of what looks like some kind of sensor).
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Didn't want to start another thread since the steps are very similar, but I was able to get mine in today using the method about in 4 hours total. I took many 15 minute breaks to watch the Buckeyes win, so maybe 2 hours total time on the project.

I purchased all of the parts from PartsTaxi.com ($296.23), electrical tape and T connectors at Radio Shack (< $10), and Hack saw, 10mm ratcheting wrench, 2 6mm nylon lock nut, 1 j-clamp, 2 washers, 1 6mm bolt, aluminum tape, and Gorilla Glue ($30) from Ace. The items from Ace look pretty much like what CO Lightfoots purchased.

The most time consuming piece was sawing through the A/C duct since it's a very awkward angle. However the saw above rips through the plastic with ease. I also would have like for the wiring harness to be a few inches longer as I had to have the bezel almost fulling on to make the connection. The one suggestion that I have is to connect up the HUD bezel controls, ignition, and gauges after you complete the wiring. Everything worked, but it would be a huge PITA if you had to disassemble everything to find a wiring issue.

Anyone that is on the fence, give this a go. I'm not by any means proficient in working on cars, but with the guides on this site, this is an easy upgrade.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Nice work guys - I'm tempted to do the same one of these days.

Any issues with glare?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The only problem I had with glare was initially in the garage. The headlights shinning on the white wall was so bright that it was near impossible to see it. I will know better tomorrow when I take the car out with the roof off in the sun.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:09 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Took a long drive today. Clear & sunny & 50's... no problem! Display was easily visible in bright daylight. Just push the button to max brightness. Haven't driven directly into a low sun, but maybe that's a problem.

And no problem with my dark polarizing sunglasses.

Bonus-I-didn't-Expect: HUD displays the gear # in paddle-shift mode. Very nice!!

Bonus-I-Don't-Need: When you change radio stations in "street mode" HUD briefly displays XM1, FM1, etc.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
FrameWise
Instructor

Didn't want to start another thread since the steps are very similar, but I was able to get mine in today using the method about in 4 hours total. I took many 15 minute breaks to watch the Buckeyes win, so maybe 2 hours total time on the project.

I purchased all of the parts from PartsTaxi.com ($296.23), electrical tape and T connectors at Radio Shack (< $10), and Hack saw, 10mm ratcheting wrench, 2 6mm nylon lock nut, 1 j-clamp, 2 washers, 1 6mm bolt, aluminum tape, and Gorilla Glue ($30) from Ace. The items from Ace look pretty much like what CO Lightfoots purchased.

The most time consuming piece was sawing through the A/C duct since it's a very awkward angle. However the saw above rips through the plastic with ease. I also would have like for the wiring harness to be a few inches longer as I had to have the bezel almost fulling on to make the connection. The one suggestion that I have is to connect up the HUD bezel controls, ignition, and gauges after you complete the wiring. Everything worked, but it would be a huge PITA if you had to disassemble everything to find a wiring issue.

Anyone that is on the fence, give this a go. I'm not by any means proficient in working on cars, but with the guides on this site, this is an easy upgrade.
Ever think of doing these installs for others? Maybe a way to earn some extra cash for more Mods!

I would like to get this done, but I am a worried I screw someting up.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FrameWise
Ever think of doing these installs for others? Maybe a way to earn some extra cash for more Mods!

I would like to get this done, but I am a worried I screw someting up.
I wouldn't mind showing someone how I went about doing it and lending a second set of eyes/hands. Don't really want to take on the potential liabilities that come with taking money to perform modifications on a car. If you have any mechanical ability, I'm sure we could get this done on your car.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD install started on my 09 1LT

Old 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM
FrameWise
Instructor

I wouldn't mind showing someone how I went about doing it and lending a second set of eyes/hands. Don't really want to take on the potential liabilities that come with taking money to perform modifications on a car. If you have any mechanical ability, I'm sure we could get this done on your car.
Your help and knowledge with this mod would be awesome! Then I could pick up the lunch/beer tab! No liabilities!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FrameWise
Your help and knowledge with this mod would be awesome! Then I could pick up the lunch/beer tab! No liabilities!
That would work. Maybe in a couple weekends when I have free time.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
FrameWise
Instructor

That would work. Maybe in a couple weekends when I have free time.
I am in no rush, and since the weather in Alt has been like crap!

I will get the parts ordered, I need to find the guy that makes the harness.

Quick Reply: HUD install started on my 09 1LT