C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD install by loosening the dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
samotlietuvis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD install by loosening the dash

Guys,

I am in the process of performing an HUD install for my 08 C6 1LT, and I am at the point where I need to decide if to cut or not to cut . I have already removed the gage cluster and HUD cover, and I am looking at the duct that I don't really want to cut . The problem I see is that one cannot wrap the tape over the top part of the duct easily, and I cannot glue the top part as well. One can have pre-setup one round of tape wrap, but getting the second one would be very painful.

Also, hypothetically, it may be possible if one were to close the flow to the left driver duct after HUD install, there may be enough air pressure for it to develop a leak around the wrapped duct, which may cause a noise later on of the car’s life.

Since I got time and I have read that one can just loosen the dash bolts on driver side to install the HUD, I am thinking about going that route. I will not be removing the steering wheel or disconnecting any SRS components. “JC-06LMB” quotes that loosening the dash can be done in a few hours. Does anybody know:

1) How many bolts do you need to loosen up just to raise the dash for HUD to slip in?
2) Any of the bolts are PITA to reach? Can all of the bolts be found without the manual?
3) Does the center console need to be removed?

Thanks,
Tomas
Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by samotlietuvis
Guys,

I am in the process of performing an HUD install for my 08 C6 1LT, and I am at the point where I need to decide if to cut or not to cut . I have already removed the gage cluster and HUD cover, and I am looking at the duct that I don't really want to cut . The problem I see is that one cannot wrap the tape over the top part of the duct easily, and I cannot glue the top part as well. One can have pre-setup one round of tape wrap, but getting the second one would be very painful.

Also, hypothetically, it may be possible if one were to close the flow to the left driver duct after HUD install, there may be enough air pressure for it to develop a leak around the wrapped duct, which may cause a noise later on of the car’s life.

Since I got time and I have read that one can just loosen the dash bolts on driver side to install the HUD, I am thinking about going that route. I will not be removing the steering wheel or disconnecting any SRS components. “JC-06LMB” quotes that loosening the dash can be done in a few hours. Does anybody know:

1) How many bolts do you need to loosen up just to raise the dash for HUD to slip in?
2) Any of the bolts are PITA to reach? Can all of the bolts be found without the manual?

Thanks,
Tomas
Sorry can't help with answers but I am very interested in this as i would like to install a HUD to my 08, what does the hardware cost by the way?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 PM
samotlietuvis
Instructor

Originally Posted by okie76vette
Sorry can't help with answers but I am very interested in this as i would like to install a HUD to my 08, what does the hardware cost by the way?
I bought all the HUD hardware (HUD, bezel, dimmer switch) from PartsTaxi for $290 shipped, plus $75 for harness from local member. Two nuts + 1 bolt ~ $1. If you want to cut, you will need to spend another $20 for cutting tool + gorilla tape + (optional) glue. T-clamps cost me ~ $2. Total cost is <$400.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the dash bolts. You have to pull it forward and raise it up. It is a big job.

2) Any of the bolts are PITA to reach?
There are a couple under the passenger side under the glovebox that are hard to find.

Can all of the bolts be found without the manual?
Not easily

Yes
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...I am looking at the duct that I don't really want to cut . The problem I see is that one cannot wrap the tape over the top part of the duct easily, and I cannot glue the top part as well. One can have pre-setup one round of tape wrap, but getting the second one would be very painful...

Also, hypothetically, it may be possible if one were to close the flow to the left driver duct after HUD install, there may be enough air pressure for it to develop a leak around the wrapped duct, which may cause a noise later on of the car’s life...

I did the cut-the-duct method: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-09-1lt.html

Were you planning to cut the duct in two places? Only one cut is needed; then remove the bolt from the drivers vent. Then the duct can be removed from the dash.

You're right about the tape wrap -- you have to pre-setup the tape. And I did more:

-- pre-cut the tape for ~1.5 wraps
-- draped the pre-cut tape over the exposed duct in the dash
-- applied glue to both sides of the duct
-- re-installed the cut duct, securing it by adjusting/tightening the vent bolt
-- pulled the duct tape snugly and wrapped it around the bottom of the duct; IIRC, I also put a small towel on top of the duct, and pressed upward on the duct to help seal the tape on top (I still can't remember if I finally removed the towel... I might've left it wedged between the duct and the dash, to prevent rattling if the duct should ever loosen).

...Also, hypothetically, it may be possible if one were to close the flow to the left driver duct after HUD install, there may be enough air pressure for it to develop a leak around the wrapped duct, which may cause a noise later on of the car’s life...
I suppose it's possible. But when you close the drivers vent, the flow simply increases to the center & passenger vents.

So, to build pressure, I'm guessing you'd have to close all the dash vents and set the system for dash-vent only and turn the fan on high.

Anyway, you could easily prevent this possibility by putting a tape wedge in the drivers vent.

If you want to worry about something, consider the effect of typical road vibration. Worst case, I figure the duct might mis-align at the cut by ~quarter-inch (the duct thickness). My guess is, this would not cause noise. But who knows?

If you decide to cut the duct, I seem to recall someone saying they used a long-tip soldering iron. Very quick & clean. If you use a saw, lay down some small towels or you'll make a mess.

And clean the duct, or you'll get a face-full of duct dust the first time you use the ventilation system.

...Since I got time and I have read that one can just loosen the dash bolts on driver side to install the HUD, I am thinking about going that route. I will not be removing the steering wheel or disconnecting any SRS components. “JC-06LMB” quotes that loosening the dash can be done in a few hours...
I didn't loosen the dash. But you might find helpful info in the complete instructions: http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20HUD%20...%20Rev%202.pdf
Old 03-19-2010, 01:06 AM
samotlietuvis
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the input. Finished the job using "cut the duct method". Took me ~4 hours, but it can be done much quicker.

The mod is very much worth it. I am in love with Track 2 mode: it reminds me of my race motorcycle gage cluster. Just did my local canyon run. Hit 1.04 Gs on a tight right hander . Not bad for a $700 set of Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires .

A proud member of HOG (HUD Owners Group)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome to the club! Glad it worked out for you. Cutting the duct certainly requires a lot less work.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought all the HUD hardware (HUD, bezel, dimmer switch) from PartsTaxi for $290 shipped, plus $75 for harness from local member. Two nuts + 1 bolt ~ $1. If you want to cut, you will need to spend another $20 for cutting tool + gorilla tape + (optional) glue. T-clamps cost me ~ $2. Total cost is <$400.
What size and length is the bolt?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so you don't have to loosen the dash huh. i've got to do this project!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM
0PartsTaxi.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gbgary
so you don't have to loosen the dash huh. i've got to do this project!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
silver ls2
Instructor

Need to repair wifes HUD. This thread is awesom for what I needed to know.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD install by loosening the dash

Quick Reply: HUD install by loosening the dash