Southern California Southern California

Looking for C6 ZO6 wheels for track days

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Looking for C6 ZO6 wheels for track days

If anyone has or hears of stock C6 ZO6 wheels for sale in SO CAL send em my way... Want to have a set of wheels/tires for ocassional track days only, so cosmetics not important.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
If anyone has or hears of stock C6 ZO6 wheels for sale in SO CAL send em my way... Want to have a set of wheels/tires for ocassional track days only, so cosmetics not important.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave

Check the Parts Section, there are always wheels for sale. What tires are you going to run ??

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Dave

Check the Parts Section, there are always wheels for sale. What tires are you going to run ??

DH
Been lookin' Howie, want original wheels, not sure about repros or knockoffs? Cosmetics not important but wheel integrity is, figure safer to go with OEM stuff....

Tires; either like you, NT05's, or Hoosier's and Kumhos have been mentioned....... discussion/advise welcome...

All I know is, after 1 track day of tearing up one of my new front PS2 ZP's I'm not wanting to be (and can't be!) replacing THOSE tires every few track days! Will save them for the street, and just have the track wheels/tires separate.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
ZSS2148
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if ALL the oe wheels from 06 on are stamped/labeled with the speedline marking? I have a set off of a C6 Z but they do not say speedline. Although the markings are different than a known set of reps that's I have.... I don't see why the person I got them from would have reps on a real Z.... With that said, I might have a set.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZSS2148
Do you know if ALL the oe wheels from 06 on are stamped/labeled with the speedline marking? I have a set off of a C6 Z but they do not say speedline. Although the markings are different than a known set of reps that's I have.... I don't see why the person I got them from would have reps on a real Z.... With that said, I might have a set.
I think you can tell if you weigh them ......

DH
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,

You should consider running 18's front & back if for track only. Your tires choices & costs will come way down.

Just keep the stagger with the rear being taller than the front and all should work. I am sure the C6Z folks will know what wheels,off sets are needed.

Ed
Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 AM
snuuplbc
Racer

I see you may consider some options so here is what i have should you go this route...
The plus side is, i live in sherman oaks, 15 min from you so shipping would not be a issue.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...rii-tires.html
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by snuuplbc
I see you may consider some options so here is what i have should you go this route...
The plus side is, i live in sherman oaks, 15 min from you so shipping would not be a issue.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...rii-tires.html
Nice wheel and great tires. But for a C5. These will not work for his C6Z06

DH
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
snuuplbc
Racer

Nice wheel and great tires. But for a C5. These will not work for his C6Z06

DH
oops for some reason i thought it said C5...

Good luck with you search
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
snuuplbc
Racer

There is a guy in anaheim that was getting rid of a set of black ones with 345's in the back and 295's in the front nitto's...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

thanks guys for helping out! I don't want replicas (like those black ones mentioned above), holding out for OE product... need to feel confident about the integrity of the wheel being that they'll be used for the track.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doveboat
Dave,

You should consider running 18's front & back if for track only. Your tires choices & costs will come way down.

Just keep the stagger with the rear being taller than the front and all should work. I am sure the C6Z folks will know what wheels,off sets are needed.

Ed
I would like to talk to you more about that Ed.... my gut (uneducated) feeling is to not disrupt the original balance of the car with wheel size changes, so thinking for now at least to stay with stock OE C6 Z wheels.. But I'd be happy to hear thoughts and reasons why (besides more tire choices) 18's in the rear would be an advantage on the track.

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Hello, Dave!

I have a set of polished wheels for sale. These are Amcast; two of the wheels have scratches (front and rear) but I've used these for many days without issues. They even come with center caps, tpms and old set of hoosiers-- enough tread for about 1 track day-ish so you can try out different rubber before selecting your next set of new tires.

http://www.augustdigital.com/corvette/amcast

-pp

EDIT UPDATE: These are Amcast, NOT speedline. See post #18 below for more info.

Last edited by peterpiper; 10-03-2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: speedline --> Amcast
Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterpiper
Hello, Dave!

I have a set of polished wheels for sale. These are speedline; two of the wheels have scratches (front and rear) but I've used these for many days without issues. They even come with center caps, tpms and old set of hoosiers-- enough tread for about 1 track day-ish so you can try out different rubber before selecting your next set of new tires.

http://www.augustdigital.com/corvette/speedline

-pp
Thanks Peter! Will PM you as soon as I have minute and decent internet... traveling hard today in Mexico!

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Thanks Peter! Will PM you as soon as I have minute and decent internet... traveling hard today in Mexico!

Dave
Dave

I would go with Peter's for sure

DH
Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Dave

I would go with Peter's for sure

DH
Getting them Tuesday!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Getting them Tuesday!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for C6 ZO6 wheels for track days

Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Default Egg on my face

Just wanted to make a correction to the wheels I have available. As I was getting them ready for Dave, I noticed these are the OEM before Speedline took them over. These are made by the parent company of Speedline at the time, Amcast. Here are a few posts and articles about the history:

How to Verify Z06 OEM Wheels
C6 Z06 wheel identification
What is the difference between 06 & 07 Z06 Rims
Amcast to acquire Speedline
Amcast Sells Speedline
Some historical blog notes

Sorry for the confusion (on my part). When I bought these, my requirement was that these were OEM (which they are). I thought all C6 OEM wheels were Speedline, but that is not the case. Let me know if you're still interested in these. I've updated the photos to include a picture of the inside of the hub, a picture of the GM stamp and, of course, the link:

-pp
Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterpiper
Just wanted to make a correction to the wheels I have available. As I was getting them ready for Dave, I noticed these are the OEM before Speedline took them over. These are made by the parent company of Speedline at the time, Amcast. Here are a few posts and articles about the history:

How to Verify Z06 OEM Wheels
C6 Z06 wheel identification
What is the difference between 06 & 07 Z06 Rims
Amcast to acquire Speedline
Amcast Sells Speedline
Some historical blog notes

Sorry for the confusion (on my part). When I bought these, my requirement was that these were OEM (which they are). I thought all C6 OEM wheels were Speedline, but that is not the case. Let me know if you're still interested in these. I've updated the photos to include a picture of the inside of the hub, a picture of the GM stamp and, of course, the link:

-pp
Hey Peter, as per my PM, give me first right of refusal after I ask around to try and get an idea if there's enough of a weight difference (or other) to not go ahead with our agreement on the sale. I've also been reading up on the issue, but want to ask some more folks that might really have an idea of 'what's better or why', regarding the two manufacturers..

Thanks, will get back to you on this by day's end tomorrow (Monday)...
Dave
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Default Amcast/Speedlines

Just to put closer on this post and topic, I've decided to get Peter's OEM Amcast wheels for track use. I'm still waiting to hear from some Corvette engineer folk that might shed more light on any serious spec differences, but through our own research (Peter and I mostly) we've stumbled across a couple things (as Peter points to in links in his post above), with still some questions to be answered.

I decided to go look at the wheels already on my car last night, again, a stock 2007 ZO6, build date in Sept 06 I believe. I got out my little 'dentist' type mirror and a flash light, and to my surprise, I found 3 of my wheels to be the Speedlines (with the deep cut GM stamp on the back of one of the spokes) and one to apparently be an Amcast (with the GM *etching* on one of the spokes, same as Peter's)... I was a bit perplexed (if not just a bit miffed) as to why, but since the apparent transition to Speedlines only on Z06's happened sometime over the 06/07 model year, my guess is mine isn't the only car that got a mix of the two wheels...

Anyone with an '07 Z might wanna check out your own wheels! I figured if I have a mix of both on the car, getting another complete set of the OEM Amcasts won't be a terrible thing!

Thanks again Peter for working with me on this!
Dave

Quick Reply: Looking for C6 ZO6 wheels for track days