C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C3 Frame to C2 Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,280 Likes on 818 Posts

Default C3 Frame to C2 Maybe?

I have been looking for a frame for my 1966 L79 4 spd original but very needy Corvette. Been in storage since 1978 with engine failure. Was in poor shape when parked.
I purchased this car just last year from a friend that bought it in 1978.
Took me 6 years to talk him in to parting with it.

I was going to go back to original but now I think I want a good fun driver. I am thinking, PS, PB, AC, PW with Rack and Pinion. Engine not yet decided but a manual overdrive tranny is a definate.

Now, I have a 1974 C3 Automatic Frame in perfect condition and my rusted c2 frame.

What should I do. Being new to Corvette but good with a wrench I ask for seasoned advice keeping in mind my plans for the car.

Is it a crime to consider using the C3 frame for a donor and making a 66 out of it? I know it has been done but with good success?
Will I kill future value of this car?

My frame is very rusted and weak, doors don't open and close well, rear bumpers even have holes in them. I pray the birdcage is still good.

Thanks for ideas and guidance.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Here is links to a 76 frame to 63 work in process by forum member SilverSlashStreak

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Black Magic for finding those threads and posting a link, it would have taken me all morning to do that.

Hey Westlotorn, if it is a crime they are coming to take me away ha ha.

As far as value, the question you have to ask yourself is what are you going to do with the car, if you are going to drive it and have fun with it the best bang for the buck is to convert a solid late model frame. You should be able to sell off the suspension parts from the donor frame for about what you spend converting the frame to fit your 66 body.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your help, I am starting to feel a little less guilty for looking at this option.
I have 3 groups of car nut friends and all offer advice.
1. make it original all the way.
2. c5 it, LS1 or 2 6 speed
3. fix it drive it enjoy it.

I hate to break up an original but as old and as poor shape as it is I will be replacing most chrome and most mechanicals just to make it function again.

Funny thing. After being parked 30 years I put in a battery just for curiosity, out of the whole car, one head light came on. The heater fan still blew air and 15 minutes after hooking up the battery one windshield wiper started to move. Nothing else worked. This is a real project.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi-
I had a similar issue with my 63. The frame was hacked from previous repairs. I decided to go with a Newman Car Creations frame (C3 frame set up for C4 suspension). The chassis is nearly complete and then the body work starts. Went with a 383 (450/475), Retrotek fuel injection, TKO-600 tranny, 3.73 gears and VBP C5 disc brakes. Can't wait to cruise highway 1 with the top down!! Whichever way you go, enjoy it!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey, PW 2006, did Car Creations convert the C3 frame to accept the C2 body or is that your job? Sounds like a great project I like your direction. I will put a starting picture up a soon as I figure out how.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Silverslashstreak, WOW. Very nice work. Thanks for all the details and pictures. As you know a guy could copy your ideas in a fraction of the time you had to spend sorting everything out. I think I need a bigger garage before this project starts. Your finished project looks great.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Thanks for your help, I am starting to feel a little less guilty for looking at this option.
I have 3 groups of car nut friends and all offer advice.
1. make it original all the way.
2. c5 it, LS1 or 2 6 speed
3. fix it drive it enjoy it.

I hate to break up an original but as old and as poor shape as it is I will be replacing most chrome and most mechanicals just to make it function again.

Funny thing. After being parked 30 years I put in a battery just for curiosity, out of the whole car, one head light came on. The heater fan still blew air and 15 minutes after hooking up the battery one windshield wiper started to move. Nothing else worked. This is a real project.

Thanks for the help.
Thats pretty cool to me. My '67 sat since 1974-75 (33+yrs). Took it home,dropped a battery in and all the lights worked including the lighter! I even rolled down the power windows!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, PW 2006, did Car Creations convert the C3 frame to accept the C2 body or is that your job? Sounds like a great project I like your direction. I will put a starting picture up a soon as I figure out how.
Yes, they set up the new frame for my C2 body mounts/bumpers and the c4 suspension. I will post some pics later this weekend. We should have the Fuel Injection installed today.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Silverslashstreak, WOW. Very nice work. Thanks for all the details and pictures. As you know a guy could copy your ideas in a fraction of the time you had to spend sorting everything out. I think I need a bigger garage before this project starts. Your finished project looks great.
Thanks West, the next one would go a lot faster for sure. The one thing I would do different is on the front frame horn. I found out later that you can buy the inside of the front frame horn for a midyear for around 50.00 and it would take about half the time to put in as opposed to making a mount. It would look very original and all the bumper brackets would be in the correct place and you would not have to locate and drill them.

I think as time goes on there will be more people looking at the option of converting newer vette frames for our older cars.

As to the value aspect, which is more correct, a frame that came from a actual corvette or an after market frame. Kinda like a crate motor vs a vintage vette engine from another year vette.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Go to Bairs.com look for Frame Specs. I did a 79 swap and have a LONG list of the changes.

ALL the body mounts move, need a lot of careful measurements! Learn how to weld and use a plasma cutter.....
Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the proper frame dimensions/drawing for the c-2's on e-bay for 8 bucks, and let it go with my original bent up frame on e-bay. Guy might still be selling them. Don't worry about the value too much unless you know you are going to sell the car soon and are going to stay all original. There are all types of buyers out there. I completely abandoned originality on rebuilding my wreck and went with a jamison's custom frame for c-4 stuff, so don't feel bad no matter which way you go............
Attached Images    

Last edited by FastEddy; 03-02-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My 74 frame came with Power Steering. all suspension, brakes and the rear differential and so far it appears to be very solid. No signs anywhere of rust. Just surface rust on unpainted parts. I know this will be a project but look forward to it. The help already received gives many great ideas and food for thought.
I think I am going to build a larger garage. I don't think my wife wants to keep her car outside for the next year.
What do you guys think of steering box options? I saw the Jeep Box and that is new to me. What about power vrs manual steering vrs Rack and Pinion conversion? I am neutral right now with time to decide.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 03-03-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Frame to C2 Maybe?

Quick Reply: C3 Frame to C2 Maybe?