C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pictures of 76 to 63 frame progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Pictures of 76 to 63 frame progress

Here are a few pictures of progress of my 63 roadster project. I have run the engine an hour or so and sorted out a few little problems and it is ready to go. Just have to add brakes and chassis is ready to go.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello

You done and excellent job..One day.. I hope when I do my restoration on my 1963 Corvette ragtop it will look half as good as yours!

NICE JOB!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Jeff:

GREAT looking job. ANd I know it is not only great looking but well done also.

Rich
Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default What kinda brakes

Hey Silverslashstreak, Very nice job on frame and motor. What brakes and spindles are you using on your car. I want to put disc on my car, so I'm curious!
40zr1
Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Thanks guys, it is the first time I have been able to take my time and not be in a hurry to get it on the road and that makes it alot more fun.

ZR1, I am using all stock 76 spindles and brakes. I am probably going to use Muskegon Brakes stock stainless calipers because they have the best price on powder coated units.

The only mods I have done is the jeep box and slotted upper a frames (to get 5 degrees positive caster) and fiberglass rear spring.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Jeff

Loooooooking Goooooood

George
Old 02-17-2008, 01:11 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 1,259 Posts

SSS - Is it necessary to have so much caster with the addition of the jeep box? Did you run the jeep box with stock caster and the steering was somehow unsatisfactory? I'm close to ordering a jeep box for my 67 but had not anticipated slotting the a frames. Is it necessary for some reason? It is not mentioned at the Corvette Steering site. More info needed from an informed user!

Louie

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
The only mods I have done is the jeep box and slotted upper a frames (to get 5 degrees positive caster) and fiberglass rear spring.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wow

Thats beautiful. Greg
Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
SSS - Is it necessary to have so much caster with the addition of the jeep box? Did you run the jeep box with stock caster and the steering was somehow unsatisfactory? I'm close to ordering a jeep box for my 67 but had not anticipated slotting the a frames. Is it necessary for some reason? It is not mentioned at the Corvette Steering site. More info needed from an informed user!

Louie
First let me say that chassis looks great. As far as caster go's. No it is not necessary. but it sure helps with the way the car feels with PS. I'm going for 5 to 6 degrees of caster in my current project.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 267 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Bumper Brackets

I remember from your previous thread you test fitted your body to the frame in order to verify that all of the body mounts were going to line up before you performed your final welding. I was wondering if you "pre-fitted" your rear bumper brackets and your gas tank too. This particular frame conversion is of great interest to me as I may do the same process.

Mudbone64
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by aworks
As far as caster go's. No it is not necessary. but it sure helps with the way the car feels with PS. I'm going for 5 to 6 degrees of caster in my current project.
I still don't understand. I've had C2 with and without PS and, except for lighter steering, the PS didn't make the car feel different. What difference in feel will 5-6 degrees of caster make as far as the driving experience? I autocross a lot -- will the additional caster be noticeable while doing that? Apologies for the questions, but I've never heard about so much caster being added to a car, to the extend that mounting holes have to be elongated.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I still don't understand. I've had C2 with and without PS and, except for lighter steering, the PS didn't make the car feel different. What difference in feel will 5-6 degrees of caster make as far as the driving experience? I autocross a lot -- will the additional caster be noticeable while doing that? Apologies for the questions, but I've never heard about so much caster being added to a car, to the extend that mounting holes have to be elongated.
Louie the reason for more caster is that when you install the jeep PS box it is very sensitive!! If you do not add the caster the car will dart from side to side and you will be constantly correcting on the wheel.

By adding more caster you make the car want to go straight down the road. This would make the car harder to turn if you did it with a manual box, but with the power it makes the car easyer to drive.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Louie, Injected and Aworks are correct, it is not necessary to add the caster, you will be ok with the stock recommendation of 2 degrees, but when you add the positive caster it makes your car much more directionally stable at high speeds. As for the Jeep box being to sensitive I ran my first one for a few years with 2 degrees and I never felt like it was twitchy or to sensitive.

The reason + caster makes a car more stable is when the tire turns out it tries to lift the front of the car so it is harder to turn the wheel and it makes the tire try to stay on center.

This also helps in auto crossing. First rule is that weight transfers diagonally across a cars chassis. (If you lift the right front of a car you will transfer weight from the right rear wheel to the left rear wheel). So when your car starts to slide to the right when you are coming off a left turn and you counter steer to the right you are lifting the right front of the car and transfering weight to the left rear thus tightening up the rear of the car so you can get off the corner faster.

This is my SWC last year at Eureka and it ran 4th fast on the day out of over 120 vettes, about 90% late models. You can watch the rear end tighten up as it is coming of a corner. Long winded explanation, hope it helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Jeff - Nice line thru the autoX! What HP does that 63 animal produce? Very cool that you were so fast in a crowd of new Vettes. I'm planning to redoing my 327 soon and being lots faster on the circuits.

Thanks for the caster explanation.... finally it is clear. Thanks also for mentioning that the jeep box is not too twitchy to live with given normal alignment settings.

Louie

Louie, Injected and Aworks are correct, it is not necessary to add the caster, you will be ok with the stock recommendation of 2 degrees, but when you add the positive caster it makes your car much more directionally stable at high speeds. As for the Jeep box being to sensitive I ran my first one for a few years with 2 degrees and I never felt like it was twitchy or to sensitive.

The reason + caster makes a car more stable is when the tire turns out it tries to lift the front of the car so it is harder to turn the wheel and it makes the tire try to stay on center.

This also helps in auto crossing. First rule is that weight transfers diagonally across a cars chassis. (If you lift the right front of a car you will transfer weight from the right rear wheel to the left rear wheel). So when your car starts to slide to the right when you are coming off a left turn and you counter steer to the right you are lifting the right front of the car and transfering weight to the left rear thus tightening up the rear of the car so you can get off the corner faster.

This is my SWC last year at Eureka and it ran 4th fast on the day out of over 120 vettes, about 90% late models. You can watch the rear end tighten up as it is coming of a corner. Long winded explanation, hope it helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Thanks Louie, the engine is a bone stock L98 out of a 90 Vette with a Street and Performance mild street chip running through a Stock T5 transmission.

I have said it before, if I had to choose 1 mod only, it would be the Jeep box.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

WOW....very nice.....big undertaking!!!!

Herb
Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Thanks Louie, the engine is a bone stock L98 out of a 90 Vette with a Street and Performance mild street chip running through a Stock T5 transmission.

I have said it before, if I had to choose 1 mod only, it would be the Jeep box.

Jeff
Jeff,
The fact that you don't have a Monster Motor shows how well your car.... and your driving ... are dialed in at the autox track.

Now I HAVE to get the jeep box! You've recommended it year after year, and my resistance has finally crumbled...after seeing you autocrossing with it!

Louie

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of 76 to 63 frame progress

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Originally Posted by mudbone64
I remember from your previous thread you test fitted your body to the frame in order to verify that all of the body mounts were going to line up before you performed your final welding. I was wondering if you "pre-fitted" your rear bumper brackets and your gas tank too. This particular frame conversion is of great interest to me as I may do the same process.

Mudbone64
Hey Mudbone, I actually fitted the front and the rear bumpers and bolted everything down. The rear was a natural fit because I used the 63 rear frame from the rear end cross member back. The front frame horns are a little different so I had to drill new holes for the bracket for the front bumpers.

By the way Louie that steering box will lower your times by a good 20%.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
LouieM
Race Director

By the way Louie that steering box will lower your times by a good 20%.
20%!
CONSIDER IT DONE!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
jntdysf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Neat video. I've never seen a C2 move like that. Impressive.

Mike

Quick Reply: Pictures of 76 to 63 frame progress