C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitor System

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 PM
c5estrada
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor System

Is there any way to reprogram the TPMS without going to the dealer. I installed chrome wheels and I have no readings. Thanks
Old 07-22-2006, 11:46 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c5estrada
Is there any way to reprogram the TPMS without going to the dealer. I installed chrome wheels and I have no readings. Thanks
NO. Or you can buy your own tool to do it.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:57 PM
dgcarver
Racer

If you re-installed your sensors and they do not read anything, then there must be something wrong? How did they mount them? Ususally when you remount them in new wheels, they still work!!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here's a thread on tire sensors and a Tire Pressure Monitor Tool:

Tire Sensor 101

Here's a link to a video that shows using a TPM Tool to reprogram your TPMS:

Video of TPM Tool in operation

Bob
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
KGoodwin
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the C5 the reprogram capability is an integral part of the DIC which is put in the learning mode. You take a "big" magnet to the wheel called for by the DIC, lay the magnet vey close (read as on top) to the tire stem. If the sensor is working then when the magnetic closes some switch in the sensor, the DIC beeps the horn to let you know that the sensor has been learned and it is now time to move to the next tire. The scheme is left front, right front, right rear and then left rear. If any of the sensors are not read, then you can't progress past the failed sensor point in the DIC learning mode. It takes a big magnet, I used a Bose System rear speaker from a C4. It is a pretty strong magnet, probably around two to three pounds.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by KGoodwin
On the C5 the reprogram capability is an integral part of the DIC which is put in the learning mode. You take a "big" magnet to the wheel called for by the DIC, lay the magnet vey close (read as on top) to the tire stem. If the sensor is working then when the magnetic closes some switch in the sensor, the DIC beeps the horn to let you know that the sensor has been learned and it is now time to move to the next tire. The scheme is left front, right front, right rear and then left rear. If any of the sensors are not read, then you can't progress past the failed sensor point in the DIC learning mode. It takes a big magnet, I used a Bose System rear speaker from a C4. It is a pretty strong magnet, probably around two to three pounds.
Yep, but then when we got the C6, you need a TPM Tool that transmits a radio frequency to the sensors.

I just posted a link above to the video of using the TPM Tool on a C6 (progressing from tire-to-tire in just the sequence you mention).

Here's a link to the thread where I originally posted that video, but the original posting has that info on the C5 and a picture of the "official" magnet tool, but as mentioned, many C5 owners use speaker magnet from Radio Shack.

If you want to see a picture of a C5 magnet, here's the link:

TPM Tool Thread

Bob
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 PM
dunracin
7th Gear

I installed chrome iforged Swift wheels and remounted the sensors using large "hose" clamps around the rim inside the tire. They work just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure Monitor System

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor System