C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Sensors and TPM Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Tire Sensors and TPM Tool

I now have a For Sale listing for these over in the "Parts For Sale" section of the forum.

Edited: Sorry, they ARE NOT listed for sale. I can't sell them because only "supporting vendors" can offer multiple items for sale, and I'm just an individual forum member.

Here’s some more info about the tire pressure sensors in the C6 and the tool that is required to “excite” them when necessary. I was able to acquire some of these and they will be available in the “Parts For Sale” section of the forum on about Monday or Tuesday next week (June 19th or 20th). I WILL NOT respond to requests to purchase the tool in this thread. The forum rules say you must respond in the thread where I’ve got the tool listed for sale. I’ll put you on the list and then we can exchange PM’s. You must tell me if you want one over in the other section. I hope I have enough for the few of you that might want one. I'll be happy to answer questions in this thread.

Forum member Bub started a great thread with a lot of good info in it:

Bub’s TPM Tool Thread

Each tire pressure sensor is a small digital tire pressure gauge that sends the tire pressure to the Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) computer (actually the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver – RCDLR) in the car via a radio signal. Many members on the forum discount the accuracy of the tire pressures displayed in the DIC, and the DIC does only display to the nearest 1 psi and may make a correction for local barometric pressure. However, the sensors are extremely accurate, using similar pressure sensing technology as your digital tire pressure gauge. Using the tool described below, you can check tire pressure without even taking off your valve stem cap and you can read the pressure to the nearest 0.2 psi. There is a battery in the sensor that is supposed to last 5 to 10 years.

These are for a different GM vehicle (I think they will work in an Escalade, Denali, Tahoe), but the C6 ones look the same.

The C6 tire pressure sensor (part #25758220 – about $50 each) can be acquired from forum vendors, including Fred Beans and Fichtner. A set of 4 sensors and 4 new nuts (part #15125473 – about $2.50 each) cost about $210.

The tire pressure sensor may not be able to be mounted in the valve stem hole in some after market wheels. In that case they may have to be “banded” to the wheel as forum member C6dude did on his IForged wheels in this picture.

In his case, in addition to the band, C6dude also epoxied the sensor to the wheel. This is usually done 180 degrees from the valve stem.

(continued in reply)

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-05-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default TPM To)(continued

The TPMS computer has to know which sensor is on which corner of the car so that the when the DIC displays “Front Tire Pressure - Left 30 psi”, the pressure it is sensing is actually coming from the Left Front tire. If you get new tires mounted and they mix up your wheels and the old tire pressure sensors end up in a different location from where they were originally installed, the DIC will display “LF 30 psi” but that sensor may actually now be in the Right Front wheel. If you get new tire pressure sensors, the DIC won’t display any correct pressure at all until you “program” or “register” the new sensor ID#s. In these type situations, you can use a tool such as the one below to register your sensors with the TPMS computer. Each sensor has a unique ID#. This ID# has to be sent to the TPMS computer in the car so the computer knows which sensor is in which location (LF, RF, RR, or LR tire positions).

Unfortunately, the sensors on the C6 can only be “excited” by a tool that transmits a radio frequency (a low 125 kHz). Why this capability wasn’t built in to the Fob, which I believes transmits on this frequency, I don’t know. The C5 sensors could be “excited” with a magnet, but for the C6 you must have a tool that transmits the correct frequency and uses the right pulsed code of this frequency to activate the sensors and get them to send their ID# to the TPMS computer in the car.

To excite your sensors to register them, you can use a tool like this:

Click on Thumbnail for bigger picture

The picture above is of my tool I use on my C6, and the ones I will have for sale are exactly the same as you see in the pictures and that I have been using on my own C6. It says Isuzu on it but it works great with the C6. Other TPM tools that look identical to this are the official GM TPM tool J-46079 and the OTC 3833 TPM tool. Other TPM tools available are the T.I.P.S. tool, the KTI p.s.t., and a tool made by Bartec.

Click on thumbnail for bigger picture

Above is the battery compartment cover in my tool (and all the ones I have to pass on to forum members are exactly like this). It has a bunch of numbers in it, but one set of numbers (repeated a couple of times) is J-46079, which is the designation of the official GM TPM Tool. So, I think this is exactly the same tool, although it may have a slightly different software load in it.

I got the J-46915 Isuzu tool on eBay. Although it says Isuzu on it, it looked identical to the official GM TPM tool J-46079 and also the OTC 3833 TPM tool, so I went ahead and bid on it and won the item. When I got it I found out it works great on my C6 TPMS. There is some capability to upload software upgrades when future tire sensors may use different pulse codes to excite them. I understand it is expensive and I don’t know how it is done. I have two sets of tires/wheels, and I wanted the tool strictly to “excite” or “activate” the sensors in my C6 tires when I swap wheels. At this point I’m very happy that it works with my C6 and I’ll worry about upgrading it when I get my C7! The tire pressure gauge function is a nice bonus. The tool also serves to test your tire pressure sensors, and it has a function to test the TPMS computer in your car.

Although the tools I have were sold to me as “used”, they appear to be in brand new condition and most have a piece of protective cellophane on the screen. I have checked all the tools on my car and every one of them works perfectly on a C6. Each tool has the above sheet of paper in the case, and as you can see in the above picture the manufacturer says they have a “Lifetime Warranty” and are “GUARANTEED”. Their contact info is at the bottom of the sheet.

3 C-cell batteries are required and are installed with the + terminal up.

When you first power up the tool you get a splash screen that shows the software version it is loaded up with, then after a few seconds it automatically transitions to this display. You can see that on this version of the tool you select either Isuzu or GM. My experience has been that you can select either one and it works with the C6.

I selected GM and this is the screen that is displayed. It’s now ready to do one of several things. I don’t know what the center button (Scan) does. The right button (Simulate) is used to test the TPMS computer. The left button (Activate) is the one you use to either test your sensors and read tire pressures, or to “register” your sensors with the TPMS computer when you change wheels or install new sensors.

This is how you hold the tool to “excite” the sensors in your tires. Put the end of the sensor’s antenna against the tire sidewall about ½” from the rim of the wheel. It says to align the antenna with the valve stem for best results. If that doesn’t work, try moving the antenna a little and orienting it on a different angle, as in the picture below. In some cases it may take several attempts to get the tool to communicate properly with a sensor. Remember, if you have sensors “banded” in the wheel, they are probably mounted opposite the valve stem and you may have to experiment around to find the correct way to orient your tool to excite the sensors.

I have one sensor that requires me to orient the tool as you see here. I have to offset it slightly from the valve stem and hold it at an angle to excite the sensor.

When you push the left button to activate the tool it starts transmitting to excite the sensor. Push and release the button, don’t hold it in. Here’s a picture right after I pushed and released the button. You can see the icon above the button has little waves emanating from it, as if the antenna is radiating. If the waves go away and the word “Activate” appears in the icon and you don’t have a sensor ID and tire pressure displayed on the screen, you probably need to reorient the tool slightly and push and release the button again.

If the tool excited the sensor properly you’ll get a display on the screen as you see above.

I’ll never understand why the General didn’t provide a way for us to excite the sensors without buying a tool like this or taking it to the dealer. Even many places where you get new tires mounted don’t have a tool like this and can’t register new sensors for you. Those of us that track the cars and change tires/wheels often really should have had the Fob capable of exciting the sensors, or the procedure should be able to be done through the DIC or with a cheap tool such as the magnet you could use on the C5. Oh well, we’re stuck with the need to use a tool such as this to do the job on our C6 Corvettes, and I hope you have found this info useful.

If you want one, I've got a limited number and will post them for sale next week. I'm out of town until then and won't be able to ship them until I get home. Be watching the "Parts For Sale" section next week to get on the list.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-15-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Now For Sale in the "Parts For Sale" Section

I posted a "For Sale" listing in the "Parts For Sale" section of the forum.

If you'd like to purchase one, please respond over in that thread, not here.

Edited: Well, sorry. They won't let me list multiple items for sale because I'm not a "supporting vendor", I'm just another forum member. I didn't think I was stepping on any toes because not one forum vendor offers anything like this. Oh well, I'll just stack them in my garage and take them to local get-togethers and see if I can unload them.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-19-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:25 AM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beezeye
I posted a "For Sale" listing in the "Parts For Sale" section of the forum.

If you'd like to purchase one, please respond over in that thread, not here.

Edited: Well, sorry. They won't let me list multiple items for sale because I'm not a "supporting vendor", I'm just another forum member. I didn't think I was stepping on any toes because not one forum vendor offers anything like this. Oh well, I'll just stack them in my garage and take them to local get-togethers and see if I can unload them.

Bob
WELL!! hmmmmm....... not sure I completely agree with the "monitors" on this item!

I just received mine from "beezeye" and all is as he says...it works great!

I found, as he stated might happen, that I had to hold the "receiver attenna" at some slightly different place close to the valve stem to get a reading but a reading I did get.

Since I don't have to change tire/wheels at the moment I can't speak about getting the car to "learn" the new sensor IDs but since everything else has worked as he promised I'm not worried "teaching" my baby her new shoe "size".

Since he is forbidden to "advertise" it doesn't mean that forum members just can't ask him to sell them one of these "kits", which BTW DO look like new.

Thanks beezeye.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I was checking the "C6 Parts" for the monitor that beezeye was going to list but when it didn't appear I did some seaching on the internet. Came to a site called MechanicsWanted.com that also has ads for parts and tools.
Was able to get the same unit for $170 shipped and it works just as beezeye stated. I also found one on ebay and when the bidding was over it sold for $345 total. See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Thanks for your informative post beezeye and I'm sure you will have no problem selling them.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Sensors and TPM Tool

Quick Reply: Tire Sensors and TPM Tool