C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIDEO - Using Tire Pressure Monitor Tool to "Register" New Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default VIDEO - Using Tire Pressure Monitor Tool to "Register" New Sensors

In another thread, I posted a video of using the TPM Tool to simply check your sensors and get a tire pressure readout. For that, you didn't have to put the car in the learn mode - you just walk up to the car and use your tool to communicate with the sensor. You could check your sensors before getting tires changed, or even check unmounted sensors before you give them to the tire shop - that way you know they're working and the guys can't say: "Naw, that sensor was busted before we started working on your tire".

The real reason many owners may need a TPM Tool is because they have a couple sets of tires/wheels and you need a tool like this to tell the TPMS Computer you’ve switched to different sensors. When you swap to track wheels that don’t have sensors, or have sensors that you don’t register with the TPMS computer, you may not be able to disable Active Handling or go into Competitive Driving Mode if the TPMS doesn’t detect sensors, and you will get annoying DIC lights and messages (some owners don’t have any problem – especially during shorter track sessions).

Why the General didn’t give us the capability to do this through the DIC, or at least with a magnet as on the C5, I don’t know. The C6 requires a TPM Tool that transmits a radio frequency to the sensor to communicate with it, and I think it’s in the same frequency range as the Fob – so it seems they could have put another button on the Fob with a little tire icon and we could use the Fob to excite the sensors.

Here’s a picture of the magnet that is used to “excite” the C5 sensors (it's the doughnut shaped thing and you put it over the valve stem):

But, noooooo……C6 owners that change tires regularly and need to reprogram their TPMS computer to recognize the new sensors must have a TPM Tool that transmits on the proper radio frequency to do that.

Here’s a picture of a Kent-Moore TPM Tool. I have several of these available if anybody needs one:

I took a video of putting the TPMS Computer in the “Learn” mode and using the TPM Tool to “excite” the sensors to “register” them with the TPMS – as you would do after a tire/wheel swap. The video is 2 minutes long so you could normally do the whole procedure in about one minute.

One mistake I made during my narration has to do with putting the TPMS in the learn mode. I said that you “press and release the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the Fob”. Actually you must “press and hold” the 2 buttons for a couple seconds until you hear a beep of the horn, which indicates you’re in the learn mode.

The camera work and the resolution are lousy, but you’ll get the idea how the tool works and how easy it is to reprogram your TPMS if you have this tool. Here’s the link to the video:

Using TPM Tool to “Register” new sensors with the TPMS Computer

Bob
Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Good job on the video Bob.

As you know, I've got the Kent Moore version but was interested to see that the Isuzu version works as well (looks the same)...and the Rodeo and Trailblazer have one and the same sensors...

That Isuzu unit should give guys some more options on eBay. The OTC 3833 is still pretty pricey, but a used Isuzu J-46915 or Kent-Moore J-46079 one could be had for < $200.

Here's one now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KENT-...spagenameZWDVW

hmmmmm...."mzbeez"...is that your bid? Looks like you've been a busy bee, gobbling these up...market speculation perhaps?

Bartec is really pretty screwed with all these floating around out there...unless they come up with something with similar features at a $100 price point.

BTW, it (the OTC/K-M/Isuzu TPMS tool) doesn't fully "work" on my '07 Tahoe after all. I think it will trigger sensors, but it doesn't register the sensor ID and signal strength like it does on the '06 C6. BTW, the DIC on the '07 Tahoe has a means to re-program sensors after a rotation anyway....just like the Vette should have had.

-CKB

Last edited by bub; 08-21-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:12 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
Good job on the video Bob.

As you know, I've got the Kent Moore version but was interested to see that the Isuzu version works as well (looks the same)...and the Rodeo and Trailblazer have one and the same sensors...
I have one and it works perfectly. Thanks to beezeye
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bub
......hmmmmm...."mzbeez"...is that your bid? Looks like you've been a busy bee, gobbling these up...market speculation perhaps?
Hi Bub

Yeah, mzbeez is my wife on eBay. If anybody wants the thing, PM me and I'll get out of the bidding. I'm not trying to corner the market, just trying to get them for C6 owners. A number of guys that I talk to about eBay have no interest in trying to get one there and have asked me to let them know if I get anymore off eBay, so I've been bidding on them when I see one for a reasonable price.

I bought a bulk purchase from the outfit that has that one up for bid now. I got them to pass them on to forum members, and all 21 are gone. They won't sell me anymore in bulk, so I've been bidding on them when they put one up for sale on eBay. I've got one now that cost me $183.03 and I'll sell it to a forum member for $190 shipped - unfortunately you'll be paying shipping twice, but Bub, you'll probably agree that is a reasonable price for that tool.

I've also got 2 "Bartec type" tools for $130 each (shipped). They are actually made by SPX/OTC which is the Kent-Moore company, but they are like the Bartec tools in that they are just a small unit with a button and have no screen or real diagnostic capability. If someone just simply needs the cheapest/simplest tool to excite the sensors, this is it.

(Click the picture for a larger image)

I've also got a TIPS Tool (Tire Inflation Positioning Switch - see www.tipstool.com ) for $260 (shipped).

That's good info about your Tahoe. I hope the General gets smart enough to make all their future vehicles able to "self reset" instead of needing one of these tools.

Butt.....for now we're stuck with needing one when we swap tires/wheels. If anybody needs a TPM tool, let me know.

Bob

Edited to add picture

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-21-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Another place to get tire pressure monitor is here:

http://www.usedcartools.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

I offered $170 shipped and they accepted it.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 08-21-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:52 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Another place to get tire pressure monitor is here:

http://www.usedcartools.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

I offered $170 shippied and they accepted it.
Walt

That's the same outfit that has that one currently listed on eBay and that I did the bulk purchase from, and that's why the batch of 21 that I had were going for $160, because that's about what I had in them.

The only J-46915 I have right now I had to bid up to $173.03 + $10 shipping, and that's why I'll ship it to anybody on the forum for $190 shipped.

I've got 3 different types of TPM Tools and I like the J-46915 the best because it has the screen that displays the sensor ID# and the tire pressure. The cheap ones I have just simply excite the sensors and the only way you know anything is happening is when you're in the "learn" mode to register the sensors you get a beep of the horn. The expensive TIPS Tool gives a beeping sound and has some flashing of lights that tell you some diagnostic info and is completely universal, as it will activate any current sensors in any make vehicle, and also has a magnet built into the bottom for C5 sensors. It would be good for a shop or tire dealer.

Bob
Old 08-31-2006, 09:01 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Here's another one on eBay at a decent $...

Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bub
Here's another one on eBay at a decent $...

That is a decent price.

Forum member JackJet has been trying to get one of these tools, but getting outbid - they have been going for $180 to $190 recently. The seller is where I got the tools I was selling for $170 shipped (but they're all sold). As soon as one sells he lists another one. There is another J-46915 starting at $199.xx but no one has been bidding on it and the seller keeps relisting it. Forum member AZ Fastest has one of these tool listed for $299.xx, buy-it-now for $349.xx, but no one is bidding on it.

There also was an official GM J-46079 tool that recently sold for a little more than $200.

I have just come into several of these TIPS Tools:

This is the A-number-one, big-daddy, primo, boss-tool of Tire Sensor Tools out there. The TIPS Tool will work with any known sensors out there at this time, and the software is upgradeable in the future (it probably wouldn't be cheap to do - you'd need a "module" that goes for $165 on eBay and I imagine a subscription from the manufacturer).

I've tested the tool on the C6, and of course it works as expected. You can see it has a "U" shape on the bottom - that is a magnet that is used to excite C5 sensors.

Take a look at their website and you can read all about it and watch a video.

www.TIPSTool.com

Look on eBay and I don't think you'll find one for less than $320.

Bob

BTW, PLEASE PM ME IF YOU ARE GOING TO BID ON THAT TOOL ON EBAY THAT BUB REFERENCED. I have been contacted by numerous forum members wanting a tool. I refer them to eBay and they tell me they don't do eBay but if I get one to please let them know. I've been trying to get them when available to pass on to them, but if one of you wants it, I don't want to get in the way of you getting it and I'll stay out of the bidding if I know some other forum member is trying to get it.

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-24-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 PM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Default YeeHaw

Hello Bob,
I got the TPS (TIPS Tools above) tool today in the mail. Thanks for the quick turn around. It works great - I was able to confirm the operation of the 4 new TPS sensors I have installed on my winter wheels.

It also works on my wife's jeep - so thats a plus!!!!!

Take Care and thanks for the great deal!
jer
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

I heard that Bartec has a new "Trackside" model for $109.00.

http://www.bartecusa.com/products.html
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jmagilto
Hello Bob,
I got the TPS (TIPS Tools above) tool today in the mail. Thanks for the quick turn around. It works great - I was able to confirm the operation of the 4 new TPS sensors I have installed on my winter wheels.

It also works on my wife's jeep - so thats a plus!!!!!

Take Care and thanks for the great deal!
jer
Jer

Yes, it's nice to have some diagnostic capabilities to be able to check sensors to make sure they're working properly.

Good to hear it will take care of the Jeep sensors too.

Originally Posted by KarlK
I heard that Bartec has a new "Trackside" model for $109.00.

http://www.bartecusa.com/products.html
KarlK

The Bartec Trackside sounds like exactly what most C6 owners need - just a simple tool to excite the C6 sensors to register them with the TPMS computer. As the Bartec site says though, it will only work with the car that it's designed for. It's the best price for a Tire Pressure Sensor Tool, and I think forum members have been getting them from Bartec for about $130 after tax and shipping.

Starting next model year (Sept. '07, for the 2008 model year), all vehicles less than 10,000 pounds must have a Tire Pressure Monitor System. There are a bunch of different sensors out there on various makes/models of cars/SUV's/trucks. Some sensors require a "continuous" wave radio frequency transmission to excite them, and others need a "modulated" wave, and there are numerous different amplitude and frequency pulsed and coded protocols.

The tool Jer got for $210 will take care of his wife's Jeep and any other sensors out there. It is a more expensive tool, but it's completely universal and that may be a plus for some C6 owners that would like to reset sensors on other vehicles they own when they rotate tires, etc.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To VIDEO - Using Tire Pressure Monitor Tool to "Register" New Sensors

Quick Reply: VIDEO - Using Tire Pressure Monitor Tool to "Register" New Sensors