Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tire pressure sensor wheel specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensor wheel specs

So my saga to find wheels here in the UK continues. I have now measured all the relevant data to get a wheel that will fit, but what is the spec for the wheel rim in order to get the TPM sensors to fit?

Is there a specific hole size for the valve stem?

Are there shape/clearance issues for the sensor, i.e. only certain rim thicknesses and angles?

Failing the above, is there anyway to disable the TPM system so that all TC/AH modes can still be accessed without warnings?

I know I can order a set of wheels from the many fine vendors here on the forum but the cost of shipping plus the ridiculous UK import taxes make that prohibitively expensive.
I'm just looking to put a set of 18" wheels on so I can get some decent rubber on!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Yu
So my saga to find wheels here in the UK continues. I have now measured all the relevant data to get a wheel that will fit, but what is the spec for the wheel rim in order to get the TPM sensors to fit?

Is there a specific hole size for the valve stem?

Are there shape/clearance issues for the sensor, i.e. only certain rim thicknesses and angles?

Failing the above, is there anyway to disable the TPM system so that all TC/AH modes can still be accessed without warnings?

I know I can order a set of wheels from the many fine vendors here on the forum but the cost of shipping plus the ridiculous UK import taxes make that prohibitively expensive.
I'm just looking to put a set of 18" wheels on so I can get some decent rubber on!
I don't know anything about dimensions/specs for the valve stem holes to accomodate the sensors.

Butt.....there's no way to disable the TPMS. Unless you're going for a full-on race car, in which case you can remove the Body Control Module and Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module computers.

If you have real problems with mounting the sensors in the valve stem holes, some owners have "banded" them inside the wheels with long nylon straps or metal hose-clamps. There also is apparently a bracket that allows you to mount the sensors inside the wheel. See the threads below (in the second one, scroll down to post#14 to see info on how dark_phantom mounted his with brackets):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1412003

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1617584

Bob
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a link to another thread that, in post# 3, are some pictures of a sensor and how they mount in a stock wheel.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1642186

Bob
Old 03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Cheers Bob!

I think those pics are all I need.
Does anyone know what CCW and Forgeline do about the sensors? Do they mount normally or do they need to be epoxied in?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

I banded mine in with no epoxy. Instead I used wire ties. This way you can remove them easily. They make no noise whatsoever. I ran them all last year at the track with no issues.

Mike
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cheers Bob!

Does anyone know what CCW and Forgeline do about the sensors? Do they mount normally or do they need to be epoxied in?
CCW has their plant right here where I live in Daytona Beach, FL.

I've been over there and John has an absolutely top-notch operation. Those are incredibly strong wheels - good looking and priced right, too! They have among the highest reputation for great customer service, as well.

I know most all their wheels are built to accept the sensors in stock location.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

Bob
Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
jittrbugg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers Bob!

We put sensors directly into valve stem holes on most cars. There have been a few that we have had to band to the wheel. The only one I can currntly thin of now that we band in on the new mustangs. Since Ford decided they would use a clamp sensor and not one with a stem.

Melissa
CCW
Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I can't answer for CCW or Forgeline, but most of the HREs are directly compatible with the factory TPMS mount.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Foosh
I can't answer for CCW or Forgeline, but most of the HREs are directly compatible with the factory TPMS mount.
And the brackets work well, no need to band or epoxy them either.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Originally Posted by dark_phantom
And the brackets work well, no need to band or epoxy them either.
Clay and Martin, This isn't entirely true. There is a Forum member here who had a real problem with his HREs. BUT, He did run a 20" wheel with a low profile tire. The TPSM dug a hole on the inside of the tires and trashed it. Yes, it was installed properly by an authorized HRE dealer, I saw it in person. If you'd like further details, PM me and I'll let you know who to contact. He's still trying to resolve it amicably.

Mike
Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
David,

I banded mine in with no epoxy. Instead I used wire ties. This way you can remove them easily. They make no noise whatsoever. I ran them all last year at the track with no issues.

Mike
This is how the C4's were done. Although there were some issues, overall it was a success.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Clay and Martin, This isn't entirely true. There is a Forum member here who had a real problem with his HREs. BUT, He did run a 20" wheel with a low profile tire. The TPSM dug a hole on the inside of the tires and trashed it. Yes, it was installed properly by an authorized HRE dealer, I saw it in person. If you'd like further details, PM me and I'll let you know who to contact. He's still trying to resolve it amicably.

Mike
I can see how that can cause a problem. I know that when they were installing mine the guys had a hard time mounting one of the tires with the sonsor. But, I have stock Z tires and I have not had any problems after months and many miles.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Thanks for all your help guys!

The metal bands that Mike uses look similar to the ZR1's.
My friend was driving his 1990 ZR1 alongside me in my L98 and we both had the shock of watching the tread of his rear tyre come rolling past us!

It appeared that the metal band holding the TPM sensor had broken and flailed around inside the tyre, eventually causing the tread to separate from the sidewalls.

Amazingly he could just drift to the side of the road and stop, but if he had been cornering hard at the time, it would have been a whole can of interesting...

Can Forgeline's rims come with any other finish other than polished? I'm not sure polished bare ali works too well in the UK climate!
I know CCW make painted/anodized one piece wheels, but I prefer the look of the 3 piece ones like the Forgelines.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I believe Forgeline also does chrome instead of polish.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure sensor wheel specs

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tire pressure sensor wheel specs