CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Power Steering Conversion for 1967 small block (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2356033-power-steering-conversion-for-1967-small-block.html)

LouieM 08-20-2009 09:09 PM

Well put, Jeff. Ditto for me.

Lou

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak (Post 1571203923)
For what it is worth I have been a big proponent of the Jeep conversion for years now, in fact I feel that it is the single best mod you can do for the C2-C3 chassis after over 35 years of modifying them.

I have no direct experience with the Borgeson box, but given the fact that they are using the Delphi 600 system (the one used in the Jeep) and refining it so it is a direct bolt on, that just makes it that much better.

Jeff

Frapps 08-21-2009 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Borgeson (Post 1570494371)
Our box is a remanufactured GM Delphi 600 production power steering gear that has been adapted / machined to be a direct bolt in for the Corvettes. The only modification required is to shorten the factory column, in your 67 this would be accomplished by collapsing the factory column shaft 1-2". Our box is being re-sold by different dealers. We are the manufacturer. Feel free to post up any more questions and I will answer them as soon as time permits.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

I'm just finishing up the installation of your power steering kit on a 63 Corvette. This kit was purchased directly from Borgeson. I found it to be a very nice kit which to my surprise included a new steering shaft. Two things that people need to know; first of all the supplied p/s pump pulley was a double groove cast iron pulley that is intend for big block Corvettes. I couldn't even install the pump with the pulley attached because it hit the frame so hard. So I had to outlay more money for the correct pulley. Second the rag joint is flimsy. I know it's the one everyone is using but I don't like them. It's too easy for the shaft twist over the pins and rip the rubber (everything on these cars flex and it's just enough to allow that to happen). I just ordered a u-joint replacement for the supplied rag joint.

Nice box, I have one in my 64, and a nice complete kit but a "swing and a miss" on the pulley and rag joint.

My $.02

Bruce

jjtoma 08-21-2009 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Frapps (Post 1571216237)
Jeff,

I'm just finishing up the installation of your power steering kit on a 63 Corvette. This kit was purchased directly from Borgeson. I found it to be a very nice kit which to my surprise included a new steering shaft. Two things that people need to know; first of all the supplied p/s pump pulley was a double groove cast iron pulley that is intend for big block Corvettes. I couldn't even install the pump with the pulley attached because it hit the frame so hard. So I had to outlay more money for the correct pulley. Second the rag joint is flimsy. I know it's the one everyone is using but I don't like them. It's too easy for the shaft twist over the pins and rip the rubber (everything on these cars flex and it's just enough to allow that to happen). I just ordered a u-joint replacement for the supplied rag joint.

Nice box, I have one in my 64, and a nice complete kit but a "swing and a miss" on the pulley and rag joint.

My $.02

Bruce

Jeff,

Was that kit shipped with the wrong pulley? :eek: I want to buy your kit complete. I do not expect any problems with incorrect pulleys.

Thanks again

Jim :)

c66vet 08-24-2009 06:44 AM

Power Steering Rag Joint

Does anyone know if the ConceptOne power steering gear uses the same rag joint as used on the Borgeson steering gear?

Has anyone used Borgeson power steering gear with the supplied rag in road racing events?

Has anyone had a failure using the Borgeson or ConceptOne steering gear rag joint?

I am looking at this power steering gear and push my car very hard at local auto cross events. I do not want to use a universal U joint as I try to stay as stock looking as possible for NCCC shows.

Thanks

silverslashstreak 08-24-2009 08:07 AM

Keep in mind the rag joint that is used on a car with a power steering box does not have near the loads put on it that a rag joint on a manual steering has put on it.

Jeff

Larry Bittner 01-16-2010 10:38 AM

Jeff:

I am in the midddle of my installation and have two problems that lead me to believe I have a defective box:
1. After centering the box and attaching the pitman are the wheel are turned to the right. It take a 180 turn at the wheel to bring the wheel straight. The only solution would be to cut 1" off the right tie rod tube. This does not seem correct and I question if there is an internal indexing problem perhaps by a tooth or 2.

2. When road testing the car with the box out of center as I add steering, the box continues to add steering upon releaseing the wheel rather than returning to center. I spoke with Gil Friday who wasn't able to answer by question.

Before I return the box, I wanted your thoughts.

Larry Bittner

365GTB4 01-16-2010 12:10 PM

Will any of these kits fit the 365hp 6 quart oil pan?

thanks,

JW

vt65 01-16-2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scott333 (Post 1570484728)
I was just about set to order the Jeep Steering box that Lou and Silverslashstreak and many others here have reported on in great detail when I saw the Borgeson Thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...onversion.html

I then found the following unit offered at Eckler's:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1838

Does anyone know what the Eckler's product is (I'm guessing they are re-selling someone else's product, but I don't know...)?

Has anyone actually used the Borgeson power steering box on a midyear Corvette yet?

I've been leaning toward the Jeep box for a long time now, given the positive reports and a 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' perspective, but if I understand right, the Borgeson is a GM product?

Is Eckler's just packaging the Borgeson power steering box, or is it a different product?

Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated, as always! :thumbs:

interesting read on these Borgeson boxes, has anyone been able to purchase a collapsible intermediate shaft that will work on a '65 Vet? I would like to be able to get one for my own piece of mind

vt65 01-16-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 365GTB4 (Post 1572773889)
Will any of these kits fit the 365hp 6 quart oil pan?

thanks,

JW

yes because the use of the slave cylinder is not required and that is the problem on the larger oil pans

Tom E. 12-27-2010 02:22 PM

Power Steering Conversion

I'm reviving this thread for the latest info because I am ready to replace the "Armstrong" steering on my '65 S/B.

1.) Is the "63-67 Power Steering Conversion Kit" sold by most of the Supporting Vendors, the Delphi 600, Borgeson PN #999016?

2.) Is this kit the 12.7:1 ratio?

3.) Anyone had leaking issues?

4.) All parts included?

5.) Best price?

MiguelsC2 12-27-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 67vetteal (Post 1570493298)
Why not put OEM, PS in your car? The Components are easily obtained and work just fine. Probably not as expensive either. I did it to my 67 years ago with excellent results. The Components are the same from 64-82. (or so.). Al W.:flag:

:iagree:

427Hotrod 12-27-2010 03:09 PM

I've got the Borgeson conversion on my '67. I did an article for Corvette Enthusiast here:

Starts on page 43.

http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...spx?d=20100901

Mine has been on almost a year. I took a 2500 mile road trip in it to North Carolina and have been on the dragstrip a few times with RPM over 8000 RPM (oops!) and it is dead dry with no leaks and works fine. Drives fine even over 140 mph! Lots of street driving the rest of this year.

I think *if* the pulleys are truly OEM original the kits bolt on fine, but if somewhere along the line some regular passenger car stuff or various aftermarket replacement ones have been put into the mix you might have troubles. It's very common since Chevy stuff swaps around so easily. Mine was a challenge because all the brackets are a wild combination of stuff, but Borgeson had everything I needed in stock.

JIM

jackhays 12-27-2010 03:29 PM

I'm repeating here

I posted this some time ago but here goes again and I'n still pumped with my conversion. Piece of cake install.

Friday, March 12, 2010.
I called Borgeson as I could find no instruction in the bog box but did not open the box with the new steering box in it. I asked if directions had been left out and could they send me the directions. I was told there were no instructions, etc. Strange I thought but we should be able to figure it out anyway. If we got stuck Chuck would be here tomorrow and he is the Corvette expert.

I took my ’65 Corvette coupe with factory power steering to Albert’s about noon for the power steering conversion to the Borgeson that is scheduled for Saturday.

Then we decided to start removing bits to save time tomorrow.

Albert, Sam, my brother and I lifted the front end onto jack stands.

I then removed the inlet and outlet hoses at the control valve as I thought this was the lowest point and let the fluid drain for about ten minutes before removing the hoses completely.

We then removed the slave cylinder and the mounting bracket from the frame.

Next we removed the control valve.

At this point we had spent one hour on the car.

After a soda we removed the steering box which took about twenty minutes.

It took another ten minutes to remove the pitman arm.

Well, why not install some simple items and save more time tomorrow so on goes the drag link adaptor supplied by Borgeson.

I then opened the steering box and placed the warranty paperwork and advertisement aside.
Next we placed the new box next to the frame and installed one bolt loosely to pivot the box into position and found that it did indeed hit the existing steering shaft and removed the new box.

We then cut the steering shaft approximately one and a eighth inch while in the car.

The box would now fit so we bolted it in place loosely but the shaft was almost touching. It was late so we decided to break for the night and start tomorrow as originally planned.

I then looked through the warranty paperwork that was tri-folded and guess what I found? Instructions which gave you how to measure to cut the steering shaft! If only we had these earlier but I didn’t look since I was told that none were sent or available. That is strange.

Borgeson; are you listening? If so I think the instructions should be in the large box when it’s opened or at least whoever answers the phone knows that they are available and where they are packed. I’m still more than happy with your product but it would have saved us time.

Albert, Sam, Mike, and I then went to Chicken Express and ate dinner. I had a small cup of gravy and Sam said “It’s good to do this with us all together. It seems just like old times”, and it did.
I then headed home and went to bed early as I was worn out and sore.

Saturday, March 13, 2010.
I got to Albert’s about eleven in the morning and we started the install around eleven thirty in the morning.

Now I had Albert, Chuck, and by brother helping on and off as he worked on his ’67 Barracuda.

We measured the steering shaft once more and Chuck removed the column in about fifteen minutes. We cut another half inch off the shaft on the band saw and cleaned the splines. I had plenty of splines left and we re-installed the steering column.

When we reinstalled the column it lined up with the rag joint and after checking again and adjusting we actually moved my steering wheel about an inch closer to the dash as that was what I wanted before the conversion anyway.

We had spent about two hours so far today on this project.

We then installed the hoses, which once we figured out the best routing, took about fifteen minutes.

We spent another ten minutes rechecking everything and then poured new power steering fluid into the pump, fired Vettzilla, and slowly started turning the wheel from lock to lock, shut the motor off, rechecked the fluid, and repeated about five times until we had the air out of the system and the fluid level set.

We rechecked everything twice more and then took the initial test drive.

Amazing!

Right when I turned out of the garage I could tell the difference. Where it once took about a full turn to make the corners it now took around a third turn of the wheel.

On the road the car felt close to the quickness of my Miata when slightly turning right and left at speed.

After about a two mile outward drive I let Chuck drive back and he said he liked it and it felt a lot more precise.

I then let my brother, Jerry and Sam who had shown up after the Corvette meeting that I missed drive and they all had positive comments.

I think one or two of them now have this on their “must do” list.

Today we spent about four hours on the project with two of us doing most of the work.

Altogether we had two to three people on and off working on Friday and Saturday and it took us right at six hours from start to finish. It would have been quicker if we had found the instructions at first.
The results are that the car is much quicker steering, feels more precise, has less road flop on rough roads, and just feels newer.

Try it, you’ll like it!

OCS1667 12-27-2010 07:48 PM

I replaced my steering during the build. In 06 everyone recommended Tom from Corvette Steering. I guess he is out of business since no one has mentioned him. The only modification was the removal of about 3/4" off the steering shaft. It was very easy install, and was a great addition to the handling of the car. The steering is very positive and tracks down the highway with no wondering at all.

The photo shows the install and the lines to the pump.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/steering.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...ering003-1.jpg

bdhulderman 12-27-2010 10:22 PM

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-stan...1963-1974.html

I actually ditched the pump they gave me and put on a chrome pump. You do have to watch the routing of the lines a little to prevent them from getting damaged over time. I actually paid less for mine a few years ago.

http://bad66cp.limewebs.com/CorvetteParts.xls

Good Luck,

Brandt

5thvet 12-27-2010 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by bdhulderman (Post 1576338958)
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-stan...1963-1974.html

I actually ditched the pump they gave me and put on a chrome pump. You do have to watch the routing of the lines a little to prevent them from getting damaged over time. I actually paid less for mine a few years ago.

http://bad66cp.limewebs.com/CorvetteParts.html

Good Luck,

Brandt

Brandt,
Nice detailed spreadsheet of your work!!:thumbs:

bdhulderman 12-27-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 5thvet (Post 1576339477)
Brandt,
Nice detailed spreadsheet of your work!!:thumbs:

Thanks,

It helps to be thorough in case you need to replace a component. May as well stick with what you know works. :flag:

Actually I still have the original power steering pump if anyone wants it.

Tom E. 12-28-2010 09:45 AM

Really informative photos, magazine article, & comments. Thanks to all...great info!

Pup671 05-21-2012 01:42 PM

Everyone refers to the Jeep conversion. What year and model Jeeps have the Delphi box? Thx!

65-StingRay 05-21-2012 05:37 PM

Just call Borgeson at, http://www.borgeson.com. They sell the Delphi 600 power steering box. Also complete kits available through them.

I put it in my car over the winter and it is a very good upgrade and relatively easy to install.

My car tracks straight and the turning is very precise plus the steering effort is minimal when turning.

Here's a pic of the 2 steering boxes together:
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...ingRay/024.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a pic of it installed:
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...ingRay/036.jpg[/IMG]

Finished installation:
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...omplete013.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helps.
65-StingRay
Wayne