C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if GM went the same route for the C7 as the Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Default What if GM went the same route for the C7 as the Camaro?

Imagine this. Like they did with the Camaro line up, the Z/28 has been stated to be its top tier Camaro. A complete track ready car stripped and ready to rock. However you still have a Zl1 with more power but more “user” friendly on the street. Now what if GM did this for the Corvette line up?? Make the Z06 the top tier Vette and make it a track ready car? Put on ceramics, strip it down, use thinner glass, massive downforce etc. etc., just like they did for the Z/28. Holy cow! You will flat out have a rocket ship! I wouldn’t even care what motor is in it as long as you have it N/A and above 500hp. Then you can make your ‘beast’, the ZR1, with gobs of power but “user” friendly. ZR1=street car for the track, Z06=track car for the street.

Would this be something you would want? Or are you wanting a more subtle approach?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets
Imagine this. Like they did with the Camaro line up, the Z/28 has been stated to be its top tier Camaro. A complete track ready car stripped and ready to rock. However you still have a Zl1 with more power but more “user” friendly on the street. Now what if GM did this for the Corvette line up?? Make the Z06 the top tier Vette and make it a track ready car? Put on ceramics, strip it down, use thinner glass, massive downforce etc. etc., just like they did for the Z/28. Holy cow! You will flat out have a rocket ship! I wouldn’t even care what motor is in it as long as you have it N/A and above 500hp. Then you can make your ‘beast’, the ZR1, with gobs of power but “user” friendly. ZR1=street car for the track, Z06=track car for the street.

Would this be something you would want? Or are you wanting a more subtle approach?
Well, they have certainly toyed with the idea recently...but it isn't something I would spend the money on.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Man that is a really nice looking car!!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

They had a Camaro version back in 2010 too...

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,332 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Well, they have certainly toyed with the idea recently...but it isn't something I would spend the money on.
I'm in the same boat as you on this. I'd love a have it all supercar C7 ZR1, but it'll be out of my price range. I could possibly swing a Z06 model at a similar pricepoint to today's model, but I'd need at least the normal creature comforts and technology. I'd be absolutely fine with them taking out the noise insulation, making it more track focused, etc but I'm not going to do without a radio and AC. I'm not that hardcore, lol.

But GM doing this would help them further differentiate the two Z06 and ZR1 models and decrease the amount of overlap currently.

And the general did also toy with the Camaro SSX in addition to the Z06X. Does this look familiar to the new Z/28, with it's minimalist track oriented approach? Heck, even the satin white paint job matches. So I'd definitely say GM has been thinking about this approach for the Z06. It makes sense to me, I'm just not sure I'd be in the market for such a car.

Last edited by JockItch; 03-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Man, better turn the brake bias all the way to the front on that thing.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I would like to see the actual numbers of the new Z28 that leaves a dealership A/C & Radio delete package. I am sure there will be some hardcore drivers out there, but I but the majority will have the creature comforts. Lets face it we have all gotten to use to them to all of a sudden do away with them.

As for a stripped Corvette track ready, not sure that will come out of Bowling Green. The name of the game is marketing and I am not sure that there is that great of a demand for one. Again the majority of Corvette owners never come close to using the full potential of the car and most never see a track, not counting the weekend drag strip.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

I think that they will offer a C7 Z06 with the delete options and still make the C7 ZR1 as the top tier corvette. I am really liking what GM is doing now from the SS, to the Z28 to the C7. I honestly think this is why we havent gotten the real HP #'s as of yet and are stuck with estimates. Let the new Camaro's etc have their moment and then let the C7 shine.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Boil
Instructor

BlueOx, you need to put the full pic up, so folks can see the mods made to the totally bitchin' Corvette C6 Z06X…!!!

This falls into place with my idea…

C7 Factory Track Car

And there is the tiny snippet of info hinting at a factory track car in this thread, not much, but it is there; I quote for some reason…

Aftermarket coil-overs & MSRC

Originally Posted by C6Ray
The c7 Z51R which will come out later in 2014 will have Coil over and be track ready and that's from an inside source
P.S they also have a ZO6 on the test track
So, there you have it; following in the wake of the Camaro Z/28 track car, we just might get a sweet Corvette C7 (Z06/Z07/Z51R/take your pick) track car…

I am hoping for a C6 Z06X-inspired beast with the as-yet unknown L88 engine…!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Well, I'm glad you found all the info for folks...

As you know, they never did this but it's certainly clear they gave it a lot of thought. Who knows what the future may bring?
It would make a great track/collector car but I'm betting they wouldn't sell 500 of them.

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know. Has there been a definitive statement that there will be either or both a Z06 or ZR1?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't know. Has there been a definitive statement that there will be either or both a Z06 or ZR1?
Not by name. But I seriously doubt that GM would leave the Z faithful with just the Stingray as it is now.

Last edited by BeaZt; 03-28-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,332 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Not by name. But I seriously doubt that GM would leave the Z faithful with just the Stingrat as it is now.

Freudian slip?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JockItch
Freudian slip?
lol, thanks.

See the Stingrat is the C7 with the big block rat motor....I read it on Jalopnik...true story

Get notified of new replies

To What if GM went the same route for the C7 as the Camaro?

Quick Reply: What if GM went the same route for the C7 as the Camaro?