C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any plans for aftermarket to make a coil over to reuse the MR system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
C7envy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any plans for aftermarket to make a coil over to reuse the MR system?

I am wondering if any aftermarket company like PFDAT or whatever it is spelled will make a coil over system that reuses the MR shocks. Or even an electronically adjustable height coil over system that reuses the MR shock, I'd pay 4k for that one. I know Koni has a kit for like 5k but that gets rid of the shocks.

EDIT: Now that I am on the topic I wonder if katech, haltech, and callaway will be making carbon fiber parts and ceramic brakes for the c7 as well? It goes without saying the power mods will be made.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that would seem to negate the reasons for a coilover system, which not only seek to alter the spring type and rate but the shock's damping characteristics. Given that the MR shocks are designed for none of the above they hardly seem useful for the task. Now if someone could retune the MR shocks for superior performance relative to stock, that'd be something. But I don't believe GM engineers have left anything on the table in that regard. It sounds like an awful lot of work or licensing fees for very little upside.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,278 Posts

My guess would the answer to your second question is a likely yes. Don't know as to the first.

Perhaps those groups will chime and indicate their plans.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by janky
that would seem to negate the reasons for a coilover system, which not only seek to alter the spring type and rate but the shock's damping characteristics. Given that the MR shocks are designed for none of the above they hardly seem useful for the task. Now if someone could retune the MR shocks for superior performance relative to stock, that'd be something. But I don't believe GM engineers have left anything on the table in that regard. It sounds like an awful lot of work or licensing fees for very little upside.
I was told they are making something like that for the zl1. Basically it reuse the MR shocks and the springs would be made so that the height could be adjusted. There is an aftermarket version of this for the GTR's bilsteins damptronic shocks.

I'm sure someone could make an electronically height adjustable system that reuses the MR too. That is the one thing I don't understand why the corvette doesn't have it is an electronically adjustable height. They are taking other things from 250k cars and throwing them in a 50k base car. Why not take something that supercars charge 2k as an option for and charge 4k and throw it on a zo6 or zr1? Or even as an option for the base. I bet EVERYONE would buy it.

If an aftermarket company comes out with this they would make big money. I don't understand why they haven't already. So many high milage DD zo6s and zr1s and all other corvettes out there. They are the sports car people ACTUALLY drive.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM
janky
Racer

Originally Posted by C7envy
I was told they are making something like that for the zl1. Basically it reuse the MR shocks and the springs would be made so that the height could be adjusted. There is an aftermarket version of this for the GTR's bilsteins damptronic shocks.

I'm sure someone could make an electronically height adjustable system that reuses the MR too. That is the one thing I don't understand why the corvette doesn't have it is an electronically adjustable height. They are taking other things from 250k cars and throwing them in a 50k base car. Why not take something that supercars charge 2k as an option for and charge 4k and throw it on a zo6 or zr1? Or even as an option for the base. I bet EVERYONE would buy it.

If an aftermarket company comes out with this they would make big money. I don't understand why they haven't already. So many high milage DD zo6s and zr1s and all other corvettes out there. They are the sports car people ACTUALLY drive.
Well the Camaro uses a different spring design, the dampers are already built for use with coils and even then the casing is scary heavy. In the Corvette the casing of the shock isn't engineered for use with integral springs. What precisely is gained to justify the added cost by using a MR shock over a traditionally valved unit in an aftermarket performance application?

You also forgot the part about how those things would actually make a meaningful improvement to the vehicle. Technologically complex sure, but meaningfully improved? Electronically adjustable ride heights are more gizmo than useful on a street performance car, not to mention adding weight and another potential failure point. The Corvette is designed to go about its business in simple fashion, proving you don't need a great deal of gadgetry to do a job well when things are properly optimized for a specific task. It sounds to me like you want to turn the Corvette into something it isn't just for the sake of bench racing technical spec sheets.

Last edited by janky; 03-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

We can only hope that the C7 Z06 - ZR1 have coilovers instead of the MR, which are great on my CTS V, which is 1200 pounds heavier then either of the Z's. My 08 Z06 has been on coilovers a month or so after I bought it in 08. At least make it an option for people that will actually drive the car for performance reasons, not comfort
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 558 Likes on 453 Posts

If you guys are interested, looks like MTI is doing an experiment with a member's car right now, a 2012 Z06/Z07:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...oil-overs.html
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
We can only hope that the C7 Z06 - ZR1 have coilovers instead of the MR, which are great on my CTS V, which is 1200 pounds heavier then either of the Z's. My 08 Z06 has been on coilovers a month or so after I bought it in 08. At least make it an option for people that will actually drive the car for performance reasons, not comfort
Could you elaborate? Everything I have read on the MR suspension is glowing relative to track use. If you are suggesting they don't help with track use, then to me, they would be a waste of money as an option.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by janky
Well the Camaro uses a different spring design, the dampers are already built for use with coils and even then the casing is scary heavy. In the Corvette the casing of the shock isn't engineered for use with integral springs. What precisely is gained to justify the added cost by using a MR shock over a traditionally valved unit in an aftermarket performance application?

You also forgot the part about how those things would actually make a meaningful improvement to the vehicle. Technologically complex sure, but meaningfully improved? Electronically adjustable ride heights are more gizmo than useful on a street performance car, not to mention adding weight and another potential failure point. The Corvette is designed to go about its business in simple fashion, proving you don't need a great deal of gadgetry to do a job well when things are properly optimized for a specific task. It sounds to me like you want to turn the Corvette into something it isn't just for the sake of bench racing technical spec sheets.
No I want a car that when I need to get into a tight spot I can raise it so I don't F**k it up. And I want to keep the MR system because short of hydraulic shocks there is nothing better. Why would I want a traditional static coil over set up when the MR adjusts every milisecond?

I just want to be able to have my adjustable shocks and if I get in a tight spot raise the car up so I don't scratch it. Many people are in the same boat. That is why all 200k plus cars have this option. Even the c6rs can do it by pratt and miller. It isn't impossible for someone to do it. Plus the aftermarket for corvette isn't like the aftermarket for mustang. There are a lot of really good companies out there making quality pricy stuff that is at OEM or better than OEM standards.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
janky
Racer

Originally Posted by gthal
Could you elaborate? Everything I have read on the MR suspension is glowing relative to track use. If you are suggesting they don't help with track use, then to me, they would be a waste of money as an option.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583301465-post16.html

Follow those links and there's some relevant opinions on magnetic track use.

As I understand it (and makes sense to me) the MR shocks are tuned for OEM ride height, spring rates and supplied tire grip. If you exceed any of those parameters you're outside of the shock's tuning, at which point a traditional design that tuners can valve and target a new range of motion for becomes more useful. The MR shocks are an ideal setup for OEM suspension tuners to get working over a larger range of uses, but aftermarket offerings are usually purchased to dial the car in a single optimized use direction beyond what the factory offers. Adjustability is great but MR shocks aren't readily user adjustable outside of the preset compliance tables. All it takes is a change to very sticky rubber on the stock wheels to move outside those tables, then what do you do?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 AM
C6Ray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The c7 Z51R which will come out later in 2014 will have Coil over and be track ready and that's from an inside source
P.S they also have a ZO6 on the test track
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Boil
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6Ray
The c7 Z51R which will come out later in 2014 will have Coil over and be track ready and that's from an inside source
P.S they also have a ZO6 on the test track
I would be interested to know what else the Z51R version; which I can only assume is an upgrade to the current Z51 package; has in store for us besides getting real coil-overs into the chassis…? I love Corvettes, but I never was too keen on the whole 'transverse leaf spring' thing…

Also, define 'track ready'…!?! Can we hope for a clean 6-point roll cage from the factory…!?! With swing-out door bars…?!? ;^p
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM
janky
Racer

it would definitely be nice to see a proper coilover option for track use, whether it be MR shocks with damping maps all the way out to race slicks or just user adjustable conventional units like everyone's been getting on with fine with. I totally get the appeal of the transverse leaf for OEM usage and the average buyer, but they aren't for everyone. Put this on the list with a DCT transmission I suppose.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Boil
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6Ray

…C7 Z51R…

…Coil-overs…

…Track ready…
DAMNIT…!!!

Now I am lusting after a C7 Z51R w/L88 & DCT…!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Boil
Instructor

And I HAVE to add, what with this new 'insider info' of a 'track ready' C7 Z51R…

Z51 Club-Spec

Maybe my idea is gonna come into being, at least in some fashion or another…!?! ;^p
Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 PM
notalk
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet EVERYONE would buy it.

If an aftermarket company comes out with this they would make big money.
If you factor in the number of Corvettes produced, the number of F55 suspensions sold, and the potential profit per your adjustable coilover springs, a manufacturer would be lucky to make enough to buy a new Corvette a year.

This is a small universe of vehicles, and an even smaller universe of enthusiasts willing to buy the system you want.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by dmkozak
If you factor in the number of Corvettes produced, the number of F55 suspensions sold, and the potential profit per your adjustable coilover springs, a manufacturer would be lucky to make enough to buy a new Corvette a year.

This is a small universe of vehicles, and an even smaller universe of enthusiasts willing to buy the system you want.
I don't agree at all with that. It is not a small universe at all of vehicles with f55 suspension. 2nd anyone with a zo6 or zr1 (not the 1% that stretches themselves to own one) would pay 2k I think to adjust the cars height electronically. This is a sports car it needs to have sports car gear.

A company would be smart to make this feature. Maybe not for 8k but for 2k it would make money.

Get notified of new replies

To Any plans for aftermarket to make a coil over to reuse the MR system?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmkozak

Explain that to Viper ACR buyers, or to Porsche GT2/3 buyers, or to 599 GTO buyers, etc etc etc.

There are a multitude of hardcore factory cars out there that sell beyond the factory's capacity to produce them fast enough. Factoring in the number of Corvettes produced, we have a number that far eclipses the majority of the rest, combined.

The market is absolutely there.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
notalk
Advanced

I don't agree at all with that. It is not a small universe at all of vehicles with f55 suspension. 2nd anyone with a zo6 or zr1 (not the 1% that stretches themselves to own one) would pay 2k I think to adjust the cars height electronically. This is a sports car it needs to have sports car gear.

A company would be smart to make this feature. Maybe not for 8k but for 2k it would make money.
Let's see. Even more than doubling recent sales, 30K Corvettes/yr. Since the C7 F55 is available only with the Z51, again giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe 20K Z51's. Of those, with the always benefit of the doubt, could we be talking more than 15K cars/yr with F55?

If this is going to sell for your $2K price, how much could the profit be? Again, giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's go with $1K profit per system; times 15K cars/yr. That gets us to $15K profit if every F55 owner buys your system. If you get rid of the conservative estimates, you're probably talking less than $10K/yr profit. Is this the big money you wrote about?

Last edited by notalk; 03-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM
notalk
Advanced

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Explain that to Viper ACR buyers, or to Porsche GT2/3 buyers, or to 599 GTO buyers, etc etc etc.

There are a multitude of hardcore factory cars out there that sell beyond the factory's capacity to produce them fast enough. Factoring in the number of Corvettes produced, we have a number that far eclipses the majority of the rest, combined.

The market is absolutely there.
The OP is talking about an aftermarket system. You're talking about limited production vehicles with limited aftermarket support and owners with little price consciousness. The lifelong premise of the Corvette is its affordability compared to the higher end sports cars.

If Corvette buyers weren't price conscious, would there be so many posts here about the C7's projected MSRP?

Quick Reply: Any plans for aftermarket to make a coil over to reuse the MR system?