Sponsored by:

Corvette Z51 Club-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Z51 Club-Spec

Okay, before you start flaming, give it a read and yourselves a minute to think about it…!

The inspiration for it all:

This snippet from this article about the C7 got me thinking:

So confident is GM in the systems ruggedness, the 100,000 mile warranty covers track use! (Take that Nissan, for equipping your cars with a launch control system…that voids the warranty!) Of course, they don’t want you chipping the ECU, or bolting on a set of Hoosiers. The warranty is only valid for the car as delivered.
GM should offer a road-legal, yet highly track-oriented model of the new C7 Corvette Stingray. I choose to call this new model the Z51 Club-Spec…!

The Exterior/Interior changes as detailed on the above graphic (not really sure about the BigArseWing though, I say just stick with the Z51 spoiler) would be what make the car, but the Performance section would be covered by the current C7 drivetrain and existing options, such as:

1LT Trim Level
Heads Up Display (currently you would need the 2LT or 3LT Trim Level for this option)
Z51 Performance Package
Magnetic Selective Ride Control
Variable Tuned Performance Exhaust (powdercoat the exhaust tips Carbon Flash)
Carbon Flash Painted Spoiler and Mirrors
Custom Paint Brake Caliper Option (Red)
Visible Carbon-Fiber Roof Panel (currently you would need the 2LT or 3LT Trim Level for this option)
Competition Sport Seats
Black Z51 Wheels

A few of the changes to the appearance:

Visible Carbon-Fiber Hood (see above graphic for how much of the CF is actually visible, and note that the visibility of the CF on the roof would also be lessened)
Replace Stingray 'badges' with 'Z51 Club-Spec' badges…!
Entire rear face painted Carbon Flash (see accompanying pic below)

Discuss, flame, whatever; but dream a bit and enjoy the thought of ripping down that long open straightaway on the backend of your favorite track in the new Corvette Z51 Club-Spec…!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Boil
Instructor

67 views, but not a single comment…

That is some bitter Hateraid…! ;^p
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure wouldn't call it that but Porsche does a lot more of that kind of thing, even in big races and maybe it could pay to have a class like that. I would expect that if they did it, it would be aimed at a Z06 or ZR1 type level.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Boil
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I sure wouldn't call it that but Porsche does a lot more of that kind of thing, even in big races and maybe it could pay to have a class like that. I would expect that if they did it, it would be aimed at a Z06 or ZR1 type level.
Well, the original inspiration WAS the Z06X Concept; and as for the Club-Spec moniker; just a spin on ClubSport, which Katech already has dibs on, and which is ALSO a Z06-based model…

I guess I am thinking a mix between a car that could be a daily driver, yet is outfitted to be a serious club-level track car on the weekends. Making it an optional 'model' from GM keeps it as a 'stock from the factory' vehicle, thereby keeping the warranty intact.

Obviously, the warranty is not going to cover such mishaps as piling it up on the guardrail, and your insurance is gonna be a bit steeper. But a spec-class racer that doubles as a daily driver would be a fun ride and a great way to create some brand awareness for GM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

At the end of the day, GM has no real reason to sell this car. Nobody is really asking for it.. and the things they include in the "Spec" edition.. are things they would get to sell normally ala'carte or in the regular 1LT/2LT/3LT trim packages.

The colour schemes are also questionable. With the exposed carbon hood.. and black rear. I understand the idea behind it, but reality is this is what personal modifications are. For making a one car thats unique and that appeals to you. I just dont see any sort of realistic market for this "Spec" car.

Furthermore the vast majority of Z51-optioned Vettes (including mine) will never see a race track. And the Vettes that do see track duty, either remain pretty much stock (as guys experiment the track once or twice) or get highly modified (as they turn into real track vehicles). Any "serious club-level track car" is definitely not going to depend on the competition seats offered by GM. They appear more cosmetic than anything.

Dont even bring the Porsche GT3 offerings into this. As the RS is still a street car.. and the RSR/Cup is a non-street legal race car. What it really comes down too.. is there no magic middle ground for street & track.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Boil
Instructor

That is just it, by being a 'Spec-class' car, it is a guarantee that every car participating in organized races will be on an equal footing. You DON'T go about modding out your car, it boils down to who is the better driver.

The Katech pictured above is a pretty serious vehicle, but is also still 50-state legal for the road. I do not think there is an actual Spec racing program formed up around it though. But it embodies the IDEA of what a Club racer should be. Which is an idea that, with the backing/assistance from GM, and the offering of a Club-Spec model, there COULD be a Spec racing program for this envisioned Corvette. Maybe someone buys a Club-Spec and daily drives it, but never hits the track, their choice. They can feel free to mod away at it, paint it however they want. But for someone who wants to get into racing, without all worries about what to do to create a viable track vehicle, they simply walk into a GM dealer and say they want to buy a Club-Spec.

Now, if GM WERE to EVER do something like this, I would expect them to also create a program that would educate the new street legal track car owners on what they were actually doing. Say, 2 to 4 weekends of HPDE/track lessons for those who really wanted to race. You would have to pass the HPDE/track lessons to gain your Spec-class 'racing license'. We wouldn't want any yahoo just showing up and smashing into the ambulance in the paddock first thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z51 Club-Spec

Quick Reply: Corvette Z51 Club-Spec