Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Careful, some of these guys have IQ's so high its hard to talk and explain things to us mere morons. Real world experience has not merit in their minds

DH
It not difficult to explain, it just seems to be slow to be listened to.

It like we have 400 people who smoke, saying we've all been smoking for years, and none of us have gotten cancer, so smoking must be safe.
We know that's just not true. Safe for now, sure, but for how long.

Oh, I was looking at Wikipedia, noticed it said LS3's had hollow stem exhaust valves, just saying. ..
Old 05-10-2014, 08:41 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ

It like we have 400 people who smoke, saying we've all been smoking for years, and none of us have gotten cancer, so smoking must be safe.

Oh, I was looking at Wikipedia, noticed it said LS3's had hollow stem exhaust valves, just saying. ..

Its more like we have 300ish smokers who feel its safe because they have been told 300ish smokers have been doing it for years. The real story is of the 300ish smokers 250 of them just started smoking and the others are long gone without knowing if they got cancer.

As to the creator of this thread... well he only smokes a few packs a year yet tells you smoking is fine.

Using this list as any indication for success for this build would be a big mistake. Use it for what it is. A collection of members who decided to try something different and see what happens. See you all in 50K miles. Most wont get there and the others will have sold and moved on. To the few who make it I look forward to your results in adding some real information to this build.

Ask Madsen if smoking can kill you. This case doesn't like to be talked about and the blame is shoved all over the place. Anywhere other than the failed valve.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...the-count.html

Aside from that there could be 500 smokers in this "list" and it wouldn't mean a thing compared to the overall production numbers for the Z06. The OP can start doing his little happy dance once the list breaks 5000.

Last edited by propain; 05-10-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:44 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

That's why you shouldn't get your information from Wikipedia.

LS3s have solid stemmed exhaust valves.

Also, any comparison of running SS valves in a car and a person smoking, and the KNOWN health issues which are directly tied to smoking, including the ill effects of second hand smoke on children and adult, is a stretch, but OK, I'll play along..... Where have we seen an example of one of these cars to suffer a KNOWN issue which was tied to running SS valves?

And BTW, this procedure of using SS valves in these cars was first done by LG Motorsports back in late 2005, so it has been going on for around 9 years in these cars, but we don't see all of the reports of predicted ill effect. Furthermore, as already mentioned, several other shops aside from LGM, and several other cylinder head professionals recommend and prefer this approach as well, due to the expensive and sudden failures observed in the stock LS7 exhaust valves.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582632612

As for "smoking", well, I can show you several examples where smoking cost someone their health. But no examples reported of running SS valves in a LS7 where it caused any known practical ill effect.

Now if you wanted to make a comparison, well, in my opinion, sticking with the stock exhaust valves is like knowing that you are holding a ticking time bomb, dump, and making no effort to do anything about it.

Knowing that there is something inside my engine liable to result in suddenly putting a hole into my engine block, even if I'm just backing the car out of a parking lot http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...post1582728491, and doing nothing about it, is an approach which is unacceptable to me.

As for Madsen, a case that some in here like to harp on, well, not changing out his guides at the same time that his valves were changed, probably had a lot to do with his failure. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1584796647

And BTW, the thread has surpassed the "2011 Carbon Edition check in" sticky in views.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-10-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these 2 builds going to have a problem with Titanium/Molybdenum valves?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...6-sn-65-a.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...6-sn-66-a.html
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

LS3s have solid stem valves
Wiki isn't the only place.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1515#
Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This is really a great analogy
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

So true ramairws6. So true.

In terms of views, we are about to overtake the "2011 Carbon Edition check in" sticky thread, and that thread had a 445 day, or 1 year, 2 months, 17 day, "head start", no pun intended, on this one.

The listing is heading into 375 CF members, and from there on into 400, and the "landmark" number of "427" CF members.

When it hits 427 CF members, it will be both an ironic and somewhat of a historic point indeed.

I expect the listing to grow, and one other thing which you have possibly noticed.

As the number of forum members who have taken this step has increased, the incidence of failure reports due to dropped exhaust valves in here has decreased.

And ramairws6 you are of course as always, free to interpret that at your own discretion.

Way too many coincidences and I'm way to dumb to put 2 and 2 together to make 5
Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Are these 2 builds going to have a problem with Titanium/Molybdenum valves?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...6-sn-65-a.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...6-sn-66-a.html
Should be fine unless they use forced induction. Those valves don't accept heat too well....
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Sorry Wikipedia gave you bad advise. I am a happy camper following the advise of those that I trust who have built a successful business around their points of view. I hope your not worried about second hand smoke too ……………..

DH
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

LS3s have solid stemmed exhaust valves.

Also, any comparison of running SS valves in a car and a person smoking, and the KNOWN health issues which are directly tied to smoking, including the ill effects of second hand smoke on children and adult, is a stretch, but OK, I'll play along..... Where have we seen an example of one of these cars to suffer a KNOWN issue which was tied to running SS valves?

And BTW, this procedure of using SS valves in these cars was first done by LG Motorsports back in late 2005, so it has been going on for around 9 years in these cars, but we don't see all of the reports of predicted ill effect. Furthermore, as already mentioned, several other shops aside from LGM, and several other cylinder head professionals recommend and prefer this approach as well, due to the expensive and sudden failures observed in the stock LS7 exhaust valves.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582632612

As for "smoking", well, I can show you several examples where smoking cost someone their health. But no examples reported of running SS valves in a LS7 where it caused any known practical ill effect.

Now if you wanted to make a comparison, well, in my opinion, sticking with the stock exhaust valves is like knowing that you are holding a ticking time bomb, dump, and making no effort to do anything about it.

Knowing that there is something inside my engine liable to result in suddenly putting a hole into my engine block, even if I'm just backing the car out of a parking lot http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...post1582728491, and doing nothing about it, is an approach which is unacceptable to me.

As for Madsen, a case that some in here like to harp on, well, not changing out his guides at the same time that his valves were changed, probably had a lot to do with his failure. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1584796647

And BTW, the thread has surpassed the "2011 Carbon Edition check in" sticky in views.
Ricky

Richard at WCCH did 175 LS7 heads last year alone, almost all with SS valves. So I would imagine it would be save to conclude He's done over 1000 in total so far. We know our reported SS heads in your thread is but a small fraction of those done across the nation (and CANADA !!)

DH
Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

I help you out...

LS3 has hollow intake valves.

Corvette engines with hollow-sodium filled exhaust valves: LT4, LS6, LS7, LS9, and the Gen V LT1. FWIW each and every aforementioned exhaust valve is different in diameter, length, wall thickness, weight, and subjected to different lifts, ramp rates, etc.

Last edited by Rock36; 05-10-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

LS3s have solid stemmed exhaust valves. [...]
In the interest of full disclosure (always a challenge on this sub-forum), LS3's have hollow stem intake valves (only).

I think the Wiki page in question was non-specific ("hollow stem valves"); it should be corrected but an official link is difficult to pin down this late in the game.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] And BTW, the thread has surpassed the "2011 Carbon Edition check in" sticky in views.
And that means you're right and those who disagree are wrong.... priceless!

First it was the number of people that could be conned into putting tractor valves into their LS7 that proved your intellectually incurious hypothesis correct; now it is the number of thread views. I'm am literally LOL here

Last edited by Mark2009; 05-10-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Mark2009

First it was the number of people that could be conned into putting tractor valves into their LS7 that proved your intellectually incurious hypothesis correct; now it is the number of thread views. I'm am literally LOL here

Sometimes ignore is a bad feature because I miss little gems like these...

Ahh Quick.... He never fails to make me chuckle. Meaningless drama threads always get more views and posts than meaningful ones. Welcome to the internet. We see this example every day on this forum. Shops building Z06's putting down 8's get a few hundred views and maybe 20 replies. Troll threads like these... well... I think the point goes without saying.

Most of those views along with posts belong to Quick and Howie anyhow.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Moving right along folks, remember, if $&@?!#% ain't hatin', well then you must be doing something wrong.

Heading into 46k views and 375 forum members.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-10-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Not nearly as hard as I am:

Now I have heard of a recommendation to run new springs at 2000 RPM for 30 minutes for initial break in, but not sure why (or where I read it). I know it relates to new cams as well, which is more understandable, but springs is interesting. Could be wrong/BS.
I have heard that the rule of thumb is half of the total lifter (cup/plunger) travel. That seems to make sense, at least to this layman.

However, I'd imagine there are probably situations that fall outside of that for various reasons so it probably wouldn't be written in stone.
Is there any HP to be gained with an X pipe over an H pipe? Assuming all other parts remain the same.

I've heard rumblings but haven't seen any data.
Interesting. My first guess would be that a piston ring broke and the sharp edge cut into the cylinder liner. ...
From what I have read here, you can drop the front of the pan just a bit (loosen the bolts) and ease the oil pump out....
If I understand the experts correctly,the stock car has lift front and rear at high speed. ....
From what I've read elsewhere, they have a good reputation. While they may be new to the LS7 my impression is that they have been made for other engines for quite some time....

Keeping in mind for observers that, comparatively speaking, my understanding is that the Redline is a little thicker than competing products in the same weight range (e.g., Redline 30W may be close or at least halfway to a Mobil1 40W).
My understanding as well.

I have also heard this, perhaps second-hand ....
As I understand it (vaguely), the computer expects the front tires to rotate faster since they are smaller (in diameter) than the rear tires. ABS or Active Handling is involved.

I see. So you don't actually "know" diddly squat. But you have "heard" this and that, "understand", sometimes "vaguely", and "guess" this and that as well.

My understanding has always been that heat is a downside (see those who suggest coatings to combat that), although I have stock manifolds on my car and cannot say first hand...
Yes, that seems to be the case more often than not.

Never head of that one. My advice would be ....
Sorry, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to forgo any "advice" I see from you from here on in, as it does not seem to have any actual practical experience behind it.

Moving right along folks.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-11-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] Sorry, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to forgo any "advice" I see from you from here on in, as it does not seem to have any actual practical experience behind it. [...]
OMG... the time taken to assemble that, sans any rational response, is indicative of a robotic desperation that I have honestly never seen before. Given that you represent yourself as some type of messiah (or at least a Moses mini-me, passing along the commandments such as they are (or as you represent them)) I am simply dumbfounded. Wow.

Do you maintain this kind of readily-accessible database on all CF members?

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 05-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Sometimes ignore is a bad feature because I miss little gems like these...

Ahh Quick.... He never fails to make me chuckle. Meaningless drama threads always get more views and posts than meaningful ones. Welcome to the internet. We see this example every day on this forum. Shops building Z06's putting down 8's get a few hundred views and maybe 20 replies. Troll threads like these... well... I think the point goes without saying.

Most of those views along with posts belong to Quick and Howie anyhow.
Propain

You have Me and Ricky on your Ignore list and you claim to miss little gems. Well I have to believe you are disingenuous (euphemism here) to say the least. You, me, Ricky and everyone else on this forum knows you read every single word of what we say. To deny this is simple ********.

You want to start counting how many posts you make in some of these threads compared to me. Pick and choose ……… hypocritical

I'm sure you won't respond to this until someone else quotes it …….. Hahahahaahahaahahaaa

DH
Old 05-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Not nearly as hard as I am:

I see. So you don't actually "know" diddly squat. But you have "heard" this and that, "understand" and "guess" this and that as well.

Yes, that seems to be the case more often than not.

Sorry, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to forgo any "advice" I see from you from here on in, as it does not seem to have any actual practical experience behind it.

Moving right along folks.

BITCH SLAP !!!

DH
Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

OMG... the time taken to assemble that, sans any rational response, is indicative of a robotic desperation that I have honestly never seen before. Given that you represent yourself as some type of messiah (or at least a Moses mini-me, passing along the commandments such as they are (or as you represent them)) I am simply dumbfounded. Wow.

Do you maintain this kind of readily-accessible database on all CF members?
Mark

You opened your mouth now take your medicine like a man

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?