Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another LS7 down for the count

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by tjw@wpe
I've been real busy in the shop. So far no more updates, I did find the exhaust valve head. It is chewed up so that is an indicator that the head had broke off, and went into the cylinder where it got hit several times by the piston until the piston shattered. The valve head was found in the header where all the tubes merge together, along with a bunch of other metallic debris that was ejected out of the engine when the cylinder wall was broken out.

I have a new block in the machine shop now, the rods are at Katech getting bushed, the new pistons are here, so as soon as I get the rods back from Katech the engine work will start so we can get a engine together for Steve. The new heads are at LPE getting porting work, new springs and Ferrea valves installed. I have the new Ferrea hollow stem exhaust valves for Steve, they are 84 grams, which is 10 grams heavier than the stock exhaust valve. This valve is much lighter than the Ferrea super alloy valves I have been using, these not intended for boost unless it is kept at no more than 10 psi, per Ferrea. Once I have a date as to when I can expect engine delivery, I will pull the junk engine out, then when I get some time I will remove the head and give you guys some insight as to what the valve stem wear was in the failed cylinder.

Thanks TJ!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM
0tjw@wpe
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on Madsens car, I got it apart today:

Drivetrain out of the car.

Cam is damaged

Cylinder head is wasted

Another shot of the carnage, this is the first Ti rod I have seen that was twisted. Goes to show how tough these things really are. I found metal scattered all over the K member, the ejected debris came out at such a velocity that it damaged the oil cooler lines which will need replacement, and also dented two header tubes! The stuff hit so hard that had it been flesh it would have easily torn through human flesh as if it was shrapnel from a grenade!

I will get a guide measurement later today for those that was wanting to know.

Last edited by tjw@wpe; 08-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Update on Madsens car, I got it apart today:

Drivetrain out of the car.

Cam is damaged

Cylinder head is wasted

Another shot of the carnage

I will get a guide measurement later today for those that was wanting to know.
Seems like it was so long ago that Madsen suffered this mishap.

Wow, what a mess.

I had always expected the piston in this one to be somewhat intact, until I saw you say that the pistons were:

Forged 4032 alloy better than stock but not much better..
Out of curiousity TJ, how can you tell that this wasn't a piston failure that took out the valve?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-29-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't remember, were these stock heads with SS valves installed or were they gone through, valve job, properly reamed guides, ect. ??
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
0tjw@wpe
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Seems like it was so long ago that Madsen suffered this mishap.

Wow, what a mess.

Out of curiousity TJ, how can you tell that this wasn't a piston failure that took out the valve?
Definitely not a piston failure, the piston was intact for at least several cycles when the valve broke. You can see serious damage as a result of the valve head being pounded into the combustion chamber before the piston said "OK I give up"

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
I don't remember, were these stock heads with SS valves installed or were they gone through, valve job, properly reamed guides, ect. ??
It appears these are stock heads that were "supposed" to be reworked. However the stock PM valve guides are still there, there are no bronze guides in these heads. Definitely had non stock solid SS valves installed on the exhaust side. Here is a short video of the guide wear. I know people wanted me to measure the guide wear but after checking it and seeing how far out it was, there isn't any sense for me to bother measuring it, you can see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyap...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

TJ I have been anxiously awaiting those results. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Definitely not a piston failure, the piston was intact for at least several cycles when the valve broke. You can see serious damage as a result of the valve head being pounded into the combustion chamber before the piston said "OK I give up"

It appears these are stock heads that were "supposed" to be reworked. However the stock PM valve guides are still there, there are no bronze guides in these heads. Definitely had non stock solid SS valves installed on the exhaust side. Here is a short video of the guide wear. I know people wanted me to measure the guide wear but after checking it and seeing how far out it was, there isn't any sense for me to bother measuring it, you can see it!

Im curious can you still measure it I just want data to see the wear also to benefit the forum as well. Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Thank you. As I feared. SS valve failure from guide wear. Granted the guides were still stock it seems. But it contributes to my theory that if you do not address the guide wear, SS or OEM, the valve will fail. No valve will be able to deal with that kind of stress.

Fix the guide wear fix the problem.

Thank you TJ for going out of your way to do this.

Last edited by propain; 08-29-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

.. It appears these are stock heads that were "supposed" to be reworked. However the stock PM valve guides are still there, there are no bronze guides in these heads
Holy $#!*

Definitely had non stock solid SS valves installed on the exhaust side. Here is a short video of the guide wear. I know people wanted me to measure the guide wear but after checking it and seeing how far out it was, there isn't any sense for me to bother measuring it, you can see it!

Holy $#!*

Guys, if you're having this procedure done, choose wisely when you decide which shop you're going to have do it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Thank you. As I feared. SS valve failure from guide wear. Granted the guides were still stock it seems. But it contributes to my theory that if you do not address the guide wear, SS or OEM, the valve will fail. No valve will be able to deal with that kind of stress.
No doubt.

Fix the guide wear fix the problem.

Thank you TJ for going out of your way to do this.

Who knows if this would have happened had bronze guides been used in this case?

I'm beginning to take even further to heart what Darin Morgan had to say about the stock guides and their propensity towards accelerated wear once wear starts.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

No doubt.

I'm beginning to take even further to heart what Darin Morgan had to say about the stock guides and their propensity towards accelerated wear once wear starts.
Agreed. The guides must be changed out. Time will tell on the bronze but we have seen some wear so far even with it.

I also agree, choose who does your heads wisely.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

The guide material is irrelevant with regards to the valve breaking. The guide wear is what can cause the valve to break. Not the guide material.

Blaming the guide (material) for being worn makes no more sense than blaming the valve for breaking in a worn guide.

The conventional wisdom in the engine building world is that a sintered iron guide, properly installed and not abused, will last longer than a bronze guide. Of course in many builds that type of longevity (say, 100K miles) is not a goal (say, for engines that may be rebuilt every season or three).
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Agreed. The guides must be changed out. Time will tell on the bronze but we have seen some wear so far even with it.

I also agree, choose who does your heads wisely.
This is still sage advice, even though it was said months ago and I edited my post months later to include the above gem.

Originally Posted by Mark200X
The guide material is irrelevant with regards to the valve breaking. The guide wear is what can cause the valve to break. Not the guide material.
Thats like putting on a pair of paper shoes, running a marathon, and then arguing that the material of the shoes was irrelevant when they wear out and you tear your feet to pieces, after running a few yards.

"The shoe wear is what caused you to cut your feet, not the shoe material".

Well why do you think that the shoe material wore out?

The conventional wisdom in the engine building world is that a sintered iron guide, properly installed and not abused, will last longer than a bronze guide. Of course in many builds that type of longevity (say, 100K miles) is not a goal (say, for engines that may be rebuilt every season or three).
I recall an interesting exchange on that very subject awhile back.

The following exchange illustrates how opinions differ even among professionals.

Originally Posted by Random84
Simply put, the OEM sintered guides are superior (all other things being equal) due to their hardness, wear characteristics, alloy and heat dissipation. There IS a reason OEM uses them - and its not because of bronze's availability or cost.

The issues are when other things interact negatively (geometry, tolerance, the valve design or coating, etc). Most of the big name builders here will say as much - the common denominator is sourcing (or working through those other variables).
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Bronze guides have superior wear characteristics. This is why we use them in 24 hour race engines. If iron guides were superior we would use them in the C5-R and C6.R.

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Okay then, I'm gunna have a hard time reconciling your experience with what Brian Tooley had to say on the subject...all be it his opinion seemed most directed towards street so maybe we can't assume what works for a race car will automatically work for a street car???

Powdered metal versus bronze guides
As many of you know I owned Total Engine Airflow from 1993 until 2004 when I sold it to Summit Racing and then worked with the guys at Trick Flow Specialties until 2010 where I developed every CNC program they have, as well as worked on new cylinder head designs. Of the dozens and dozens of used aftermarket heads with bronze guides that came into my shop using stock rockers, the number of heads that had what I would consider excessive guide wear (over .004”) was 100%.

There is no comparison in hardness between powdered metal guides and bronze guides. Powdered metal guides are far harder, and since they’re engineered with silicon they have good lubricity properties. I’ve checked OEM LS guides from a truck with 150,000 miles that only had .0001” of wear. Bronze guides when using stock rockers is a poor choice in my opinion, simply based on the guide wear that I’ve seen in my years of experience. I’ve seen bronze guides with 10,000 miles have .010” wear. Most shops never have the opportunity to check this. I’ve seen heads with no oil consumption or any other obvious issues have .010” of guide wear, this is a testament to how good modern valve seals are.
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
What he says is fine, we just have different experiences.
Interesting exchange and goes back to my shoe analogy.

I think that we would all expect that rubber soled shoes, would have better "wear characteristics" than say, paper soled shoes, and the untoward consequences associated with worn shoes, i.e. ripping your feet to pieces, could likely be put off by running a marathon in a good pair of well fitting rubber soled shoes, vs paper soled shoes.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-18-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Im curious can you still measure it I just want data to see the wear also to benefit the forum as well. Thanks
I agree. Would be nice to see number to match up with this visualization. Just a couple would do. Is this what the service limit looks like or is it 2-3 times the limit.

DH
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

So do we really know what combination of parts will prevent my ls7 from dropping a valve? I live an hour away from Katech and my z now has 7k miles. I plan on doing heads, cam. But this is just so confusing to me. To op, sorry for your trouble, good to see some progress.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
So do we really know what combination of parts will prevent my ls7 from dropping a valve? I live an hour away from Katech and my z now has 7k miles. I plan on doing heads, cam. But this is just so confusing to me. To op, sorry for your trouble, good to see some progress.
Thank u for the concern. I hope this, my 2nd blow, with Toms help will help us all.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Madsen
Thank u for the concern. I hope this, my 2nd blow, with Toms help will help us all.
It sucks to fail and be the guinea pig but this data is helping many who are still looking for answers.

I wish you the best with the rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To Another LS7 down for the count

Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

It sucks to fail and be the guinea pig but this data is helping many who are still looking for answers.

I wish you the best with the rebuild.

Good luck Madsen.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
With a reasonable degree of certainty, a non-worn-out valve guide will prevent it.

Therefore the simplest and cheapest method of prevention is to check and, until a trend is established, periodically monitor the valve guide clearance. The wiggle test is a fine approximation of the clearance that should establish a perfectly usable guideline going forward.

The mechanically-inclined can do the wiggle test themselves. Or you could contact your favorite vendor/mechanic and see if they would be willing to do it for you. In the latter case be sure to get a complete list of measurements (intake and exhaust) to, again, establish a baseline to see if wear presents itself as time goes by.

If you're going to modify the engine then all bets are off and you should consider/evaluate the recommendation of whomever is doing the work, especially if they are warrantying the work. Any significant increase in combustion pressure, combustion temperature, exhaust valve temperature, or exhaust gas temperature can throw the factory design out of balance, possibly requiring change/modification as a result.

Last edited by Mark2009; 08-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

With a reasonable degree of certainty, a non-worn-out valve guide will prevent it.

Therefore the simplest and cheapest method of prevention is to check and, until a trend is established, periodically monitor the valve guide clearance. The wiggle test is a fine approximation of the clearance that should establish a perfectly usable guideline going forward.

The mechanically-inclined can do the wiggle test themselves. Or you could contact your favorite vendor/mechanic and see if they would be willing to do it for you. In the latter case be sure to get a complete list of measurements (intake and exhaust) to, again, establish a baseline to see if wear presents itself as time goes by.

If you're going to modify the engine then all bets are off and you should consider/evaluate the recommendation of whomever is doing the work, especially if they are warrantying the work. Any significant increase in combustion pressure, combustion temperature, exhaust valve temperature, or exhaust gas temperature can throw the factory design out of balance, possibly requiring change/modification as a result.
Thank you for your input. My warranty is up this November, and I have had plans to do heads and a cam for years. I was planning on having Katech do the work, if they would do such a small job, but it seems there is no vendor agreement as to what will give me 550rwhp reliably for many years to come. Thanks again, and back to research!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another LS7 down for the count