C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM
BruceAllan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! So glad it's raining today and I decided to peruse Corvette Forum. I bought my 2007 Coupe about 2 months ago and noticed the roof popping about 2 weeks later. Even with my bad hearing, it was annoying. Luckily it happens very intermitently, but it's not summer yet. Now I've got great information regarding my options. I'll start with some o-rings and lube, but will go with new latches if/when things are not GOOD ENOUGH! Thanks so much.

Bruce.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Subscribed! Excellent information on this thread, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
JetManJoe
Heel & Toe

Thanks, Paul, for the very detailed explanation.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 PM
JetManJoe
Heel & Toe

The dealer used a di-electric grease on my '09. It not only didn't work, but it smells horrible. Especially if the car has been outside with the windows closed.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 AM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amazing post dude! I'll try lubing up, then replacing parts if needed
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
zwaldo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, took my new/used c6 to autozone today, sounded like a rocking chair/ crushing coke can on my whole drive home from picking it up. greased everything up. and that fixed the problem ...so far 100%
Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM
mmerriam
8th Gear

I just got my 2009 back from the dealer, only a couple weeks before the factory warranty expires. My top (lexan one) creaked terribly. The dealer used dielectric grease to lubricate the gaskets. I just got home with it and no noise. I am not sure how long it will last, but I am going to buy some lubricant to keep the gaskets in good shape.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 AM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Default Newer C6 Comments

I have 2012 C6 that started popping at less than 2000 miles. I have tried the new O-rings, lubes, etc from all the forums with only small improvement for short time. I have now had dealer replace every single part in the latch mechanisms and that lasted all of two weeks before the popping started up again. I just sent a very strongly worded e-mail into the Corvette factory "feedback" link in one of the early e-mails in this chain but realize that won't make a bit of difference after all this time. I am about ready to dump this car (although I absolutely love the performance) because I cannot stand getting into it every day (after the sun has been on the top for more than an hour) and driving along to the sound of almost constant popping. Frankly, the build quality on the Corvette is nowhere near the German vehicles (I am past owner of BMW/Porsche before coming back to Corvette). This just sucks. I am glad some of you have found fixes, but I despair of ever doing so in my case.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Rode in the wife's 2008 coupe on Saturday and Sunday. Top creaks non stop after it warms up. Car has been back to the dealer for this problem which continues. I got rid of my 2009 coupe and now have a 2014 Porsche Boxster on order
Have owned Corvettes since 1975. No more
Won't pay for poor quality anymore
The C6.5 has not passed the quality test yet and I bet there will continue to be material and build quality problems. It's the GM way.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

When we ordered our 2009 Corvette, we test drove a new coupe. The demo cars roof creaked so bad that I reported it to the new car sales manager when the test drive was over
I would not want a prospect to drive that car if I were the dealer.
Believe me. He didn't care.
Leads me to believe that lot's of dealers and owners just put up with low quality and explain it as just being a Corvette.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 PM
dewilhite
Intermediate

I feel your pain to coin a phrase, but I don't think there is any quick fix. I have made videos of my car's noises to share with someone that gives a s**t at GM. My local dealer has been very good so far, but I will be interested to see what they say when I go back for oil change in few weeks and tell them none of their fixes solved a thing. Just very, very disappointing as I really love this car. But I cannot abide such terrible build quality in a $50K+ vehicle. My two BMW M Coupes were less than this and had NOTHING like this. My Cayman S was about $7K more than the Vette and had NOTHING like this. Only observation I can have is Corvette doesn't build 'em like the Germans and they aren't that much less in price. Maybe the C7 will finally be better.........
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 AM
RestoRoc89
Instructor

Has anyone had any roof leak issues after trying the o-ring trick on the front locating pins? The roof on my 2011 coupe started creaking/cracking unbearably this spring. It was completely silent until that point. I greased the seals and installed secondary o-rings to increase the pre-load on the front latches. Noises gone. However, I took the car through a touchless carwash the other day (no comments please--it's black and impossible to keep dust-free) and noticed a few droplets of water sneaking past the windows at the front corner where the roof meets the a-pillar. Would it make any sense to thread the front locating pins in a touch further to counter any increase in height caused by the o-rings? From the outside, the roof looks ok in terms of fit. It does look like the windows could stand to seat a touch farther up into the weather stripping. I did try re-indexing the windows already. Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want to start mucking with adjustments and end up with a bigger mess.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 AM
RestoRoc89
Instructor

Well, as a follow up for anyone who is interested, the o-rings I installed on the front locating pins did lift the roof far enough away from the windows to create a leak. My options were either to thread the locating pins in a turn or two or to simply remove the o-rings. I did the latter and, as a result of my liberal application of lubricant, the roof still seems quiet.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just found this topic and would like to share the fix that worked on my 2008 Black coupe with the glass top. The posting is at

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...glass-top.html

shows the added O-Rings that worked.

Name:  CreakingGlassTopfix_zps1206aedf.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  71.8 KB

Last edited by Arkay; 09-15-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

This is how I fixed my 2008 based on tips in CF. I think the winner was the addition of the e-clips

Name:  IMG_0004a_zps1118b9a0.jpeg
Views: 688
Size:  96.9 KB
Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM
kssod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arkay
This is how I fixed my 2008 based on tips in CF. I think the winner was the addition of the e-clips

Ok, so I tried the c clips,and was only able to insert 1 not much help. Next is lubrication.
On Amazon there are 2 forms of GM Super lube, a spray can and a tube.
Which is recommended, and are they different? I am going to lube all points including the weather stripping, so I do not want it to get sticky or attract dust.
Any home depot product like the new WD40 with PTFE recommended?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

if the e-clip don't work alone, I suggest you add the shrink tubing over the posts with new 0-rigs on the outside. I did not have the special GM pub so just used some plumber's grease I had left over from a Home Deport project. Like you I was worried about dust being attracted but that has not happened. Good old axel grease will work too. The combination of the three things in the picture fixed mine and I have had the off several times. No more creaks and pop.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 PM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kssod
Ok, so I tried the c clips,and was only able to insert 1 not much help. Next is lubrication.
On Amazon there are 2 forms of GM Super lube, a spray can and a tube.
Which is recommended, and are they different? I am going to lube all points including the weather stripping, so I do not want it to get sticky or attract dust.
Any home depot product like the new WD40 with PTFE recommended?
You want the tube, but not anything from GM and you don't need to lube anything except all the latch parts, skip the weather stripping, that almost certainly is not what is causing the noise. Check out my post below for more info on all this. I can tell you my 2012 GS top was terrible but using the Super Lube in the post below has 100% solved the problem. I hope it does the same for you! Good luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1585933028
Old 07-13-2014, 12:08 PM
oysteinrogne
Instructor

Hello.
I do not have a removable top, and I've been rooting around online to find a solution to my problem which is very similar to this thread.
I have an 09 zr1 with 10k on it.
Whenever the chassi twists a bit -for example taking a driveway at an angle, I get a LOUD crack or pop if you will from the roof. So loud one might think something broke in half.
I tried pulling the roof a little by hand to see if I could duplicate, but no.
When inspecting the alignment it seems like it has moved a few mm towards the drivers side...
Any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 PM
centurion12
6th Gear

I am not really sure where I should be applying lub to any parts on the target top or parts associated with the target top? I am thinking about changing to the clear top, but not sure which one works the best? I was thinking about the fiber class one that already comes factory tinted? Any advice on that as well would be greatly appreciated! This is a C7
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by centurion12; 08-14-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: left out description

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe roof panel noise primer - Long post