C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Top Crack/Pop SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Top Crack/Pop SOLVED!!

I have a 2012 GS that started with the typical top popping and cracking at about 2K miles. I have 15K miles now and have lived with this problem for almost two years. My local Chev dealer (good guys) replaced every single latch part for the front to no avail. I still had severe pop-crack every time the sun and a little heat got to the top. They were convinced a new top was justified and were working with regional Chev personnel to make that happen (not much interest from Chev to be honest). As it happened, I installed an MGW short shifter right before Xmas. Included in their kit was a little tube of "lube" called Super Lube (see picture). After I installed the shift kit (very nice!) I decided on a whim to try squirting some of this Super Lube around all the latch parts on the front of the top! Voila! My previously super noisy top turned completely silent! I think this is the final answer for any of you that have this problem. I had looked around my local area for a "Teflon" liquid lube without luck. All I found was spray lubes that did no good at all. So, if you have this problem go on-line and look for Super Lube produced by Synco Chemical Corp in Bohemia, NY. It has restored the silence in my C6 interior and made me a happy, happy man!
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 AM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm willing to try it out because the noise is getting to be a bit annoying. I just ordered it through Amazon. I see it really has great reviews, so I'll be using it on more than just my noisy top.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next week when it starts making noise again try this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ing-noise.html
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 AM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff-Ford
Next week when it starts making noise again try this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ing-noise.html
Honestly, I did this lube job about a month ago and haven't touched to top since with no noise whatsoever! So, maybe I am just lucky. I looked at your link and it appears to be talking about the early C6 e-clip fix, which isn't applicable to my 2012 version. Anyway, I am sold on this lube as a fix!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 AM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RMcoolX
I'm willing to try it out because the noise is getting to be a bit annoying. I just ordered it through Amazon. I see it really has great reviews, so I'll be using it on more than just my noisy top.

Thanks for the tip.
Hee, hee, you can find anything on Amazon.com! Let me know how this works for you!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 AM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 70 Posts

ive tried everything for the last 5 years on 2 different C6's and 4 tops and nothing worked. It would go away for a couple weeks and then come back. So i decided to mix things up and went with the o rings and the super lube mentioned by the OP and the creaking has been gone now for 4 months. I havent even had to reapply, its still the initial application of superlube.

Ive tried the o rings with vaseline, brake grease...o rings with nothing...lubricant with nothing...but this combo has worked on both my tops. Maybe its the magic solution!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM
PacificaVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Superlube

Originally Posted by Guinnessboy
ive tried everything for the last 5 years on 2 different C6's and 4 tops and nothing worked. It would go away for a couple weeks and then come back. So i decided to mix things up and went with the o rings and the super lube mentioned by the OP and the creaking has been gone now for 4 months. I havent even had to reapply, its still the initial application of superlube.

Ive tried the o rings with vaseline, brake grease...o rings with nothing...lubricant with nothing...but this combo has worked on both my tops. Maybe its the magic solution!

I've been using this stuff on my top for 4 years now. I reapply when I do an oil change----not a sound in all that time. This lube works great! it's also packaged as "GM Super Lube with PTFE" Part #12371287---available at your local dealer.

As a bonus, use it on the hinges of your visor mirror covers. It makes them open smoothly, without any creaking, and probably protects them from snapping off.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Thanks. Going to give this a try with my '13, just ordered it from Amazon. My top has had the pop and creak for the last 2k miles. I've lubed the weatherstrip, swapped o-rings, used dry lube on the latches, and the noise always come back after a week or so. For $3 and change, it's worth a shot
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My '10 GS started doing the popping when it started warming up the first spring after I bought it (bought in February '10). I bought a small tube of white lithium grease at Autozone and put a small daub on the indent where each of the front latches seat. I have to redo it every 6-8 months. Still have the same tube. This is a known issue and something like the Superlube or lithium grease has been the cure for a long time.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Great tip - thanks I'll try it. Typical corvette pops, squeeks and groans etc. My older CV's (way back) when it was cold out (less then 50) popped, squeeked so loud they sounded like they were falling apart. LOL I'm actually thankful it's only the roof. My 73 when cold sounded like a rattle trap - in summer it was fine.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My solution is a little white lithium grease in the roof locks every year - need it or not.
Use the spray type, and protect the area around it with a rag.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

OP's dealership may be nice but they're not very sharp. There has been a GM bulletin available for several years that specifically says to use Superlube (the tube like OP, not the spray!!!) on both the weatherstrip and the metal parts.

When we were using the originally-recommended Dielectric Silicone Grease on our 2006 and then the 2009, it had to be re-applied every couple of months. The dealership used Superlube in 2010 and now I re-apply only once per year, rubber and latches and anything that rubs on something else. Great stuff.
It does leave a slight whiteish residue on the rubber after a few months, but it's not much and is only visible when the top is removed.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

From the owner's manual:
Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
GM really ought to send one of these manuals to every dealership. Maybe they could even put one in every glovebox instead of just in the cars I buy.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is link to product.

Super Lube(R) Multi-Purpose Grease with Syncolon(R) (PTFE) - 1/2 oz tube [PRICE is per TUBE]: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Super Lube(R) Multi-Purpose Grease with Syncolon(R) (PTFE) - 1/2 oz tube [PRICE is per TUBE]: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

hey look every one he invented the wheel! I posted this in 2007
Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
hey look every one he invented the wheel! I posted this in 2007
Old 01-19-2014, 09:26 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Is this squeeking and crackling only with the transparent top or the colored ones as well? I have both on my '13 and have never heard a noise from either. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Top Crack/Pop SOLVED!!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 AM
PacificaVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Creaks

Originally Posted by mickey5
Is this squeeking and crackling only with the transparent top or the colored ones as well? I have both on my '13 and have never heard a noise from either. Is this what I have to look forward to?
Eventually, yes. it's not a big problem---consider it a maintenance item. I do it once a year when I change my oil. All you have to do is apply a small dab of grease to the pins, the receivers, and the latches. It takes about 3 minutes.

As for the weatherstripping, the silicone grease will leave a white residue---which will need to be cleaned off before you reapply the silicone grease. I've avoided this by instead using "GummiPhlege" (not sure of the spelling on that----available from Autogeek). It's a weatherstrip protectant/lubricant. My weatherstrips still look like new.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:13 PM
MAYH3M
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks alot for the write up. Just ordered me some. I was starting to feel bad about all this creaking. When i take people for rides im sure they think im driving a piece of junk with all that snap crackle and pop going on.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I've tried everything on my '12 GS, including shrink-wrap on ALL 5 posts/latches, to no avail. But was using the recommended dielectric grease. Will give this stuff a try, but I'm almost sure what's creaking is the top itself when the car flexes. Unfortunately, mine is not very well aligned, so it has tension when popped in. Will try that stuff just for the heck of it, but I doubt it'll make a difference. It's a POS design; I'd have chosen the more permanent fixed top of the Z06 if I had the chance. Oh well. Thanks for the tip though .

Quick Reply: C6 Top Crack/Pop SOLVED!!