Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM
tikiman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Update - steering column lock issue

Yesterday, while away from home, my steering column locked. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ked-today.html
Had the car towed to a Chevrolet dealer in Richmond and got a call from them just now. When the car was delivered to them, the steering column was not locked. Also, from the VIN, they were able to ascertain that the factory recall work was performed in November of 2002, four months before I purchased the car used. My guess is that the dealer I bought it from performed any outstanding recall work before reselling the vehicle. Makes sense. With the column no longer locked, should I just go pick up the car, get it home, and install the aftermarket solution(s)? Anyone heard of this problem being intermittent before?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My understanding was that the dealer 'fix' was never a permanent fix. Get a LMC5 or CLB.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
My understanding was that the dealer 'fix' was never a permanent fix. Get a LMC5 or CLB.
What he said
Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Get your car home and install the Lock Bypass and be done with it, The factore fix wasn't a 100% fix.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM
tikiman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
November 2002 ( if you gave us the correct date) was a year and 3 months BEFORE the RECALL forced by NHTSA even was available from the dealerships.

The 04006 Recall didn't start until mid January 2004.

There was a predacessor service (called a Customer Satisfaction Program) that did some of but not all of the actions required by the NHTSA recall service. Owners that complained the loudest about the column lock issue had that work done to the car free of charge. It is NOT a replacement for the actual recall service. You can determine for yourself what has been done to the car at GM's expense by obtaining a printed copy of the GMVIS for your VIN. You can send an Email to either of the two following Forum Supporting Vendors along with your VIN and ask them to email you back the report. In the section CLAIM HISTORY there will be info about everything done to the car at GM's expense. There will also be an indication as to whether the Recall is closed (done) or still outstanding (open). If it's closed, the date of the close will be indicated.

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com Dennis Fichtner

gene@gmpartshouse.com Gene Culley

Be the above as it may, I would NOT let the dealer touch the car. Get and install either a CLB or LMC5 and the column lock problem should be gone forever.

Most likely cause of your problem is a low or bad battery or loose or corroded battery cables. The MOST common causes of the Column Lock Symptoms is battery related/initiated.
Wow. Thank you! That sounds like some very valuable information. The date of correction is what the current dealer gave me. It is also four months before I purchased the car used in February of '03. I can see the car sitting on the lot for four months given that it was a wet and snowy winter. So, according to your information, my vehicle did not receive the complete NHTSA recall service. Bottom line here is, to get the vehicle home and perform the correct actions on it. Between the CLB or the LMC5, which is better for my vehicle? It is a '99 convertible with the A4. Thank you again for the information.

Edited to add: The vehicle in question receives a new battery each spring since it sits for so long in the garage in the winter that the battery dies completely. And, when I say completely, I do mean completely.

Last edited by tikiman; 09-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM
tikiman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Arm strength is not an issue. At one point I was worried about the steering wheel. This wheel was locked and would not turn a half turn in either direction. My best guess of travel would be ten degrees max in either direction. Perhaps not even that. Which is better - CLB or LCM5? And, thank you again for your expertise.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:41 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tikiman
Yesterday, while away from home, my steering column locked. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ked-today.html
Had the car towed to a Chevrolet dealer in Richmond and got a call from them just now. When the car was delivered to them, the steering column was not locked. Also, from the VIN, they were able to ascertain that the factory recall work was performed in November of 2002, four months before I purchased the car used. My guess is that the dealer I bought it from performed any outstanding recall work before reselling the vehicle. Makes sense. With the column no longer locked, should I just go pick up the car, get it home, and install the aftermarket solution(s)? Anyone heard of this problem being intermittent before?
My goodness sounds like you have found an honest dealer, you
should share the name for owners in your area
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,480 Likes on 14,071 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
I agree. The factory fix will eventually fail so get the CLB or LMC5 installed as soon as possible to prevent future column locks.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Thank you! That sounds like some very valuable information. The date of correction is what the current dealer gave me. It is also four months before I purchased the car used in February of '03. I can see the car sitting on the lot for four months given that it was a wet and snowy winter. So, according to your information, my vehicle did not receive the complete NHTSA recall service. Bottom line here is, to get the vehicle home and perform the correct actions on it. Between the CLB or the LMC5, which is better for my vehicle? It is a '99 convertible with the A4. Thank you again for the information.

Edited to add: The vehicle in question receives a new battery each spring since it sits for so long in the garage in the winter that the battery dies completely. And, when I say completely, I do mean completely.
Wouldnt it be a better idea to spend 40 bucks on a battery tender than buying a nee battery every year? Unless you get batteries for free...
Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Arm strength is not an issue. At one point I was worried about the steering wheel. This wheel was locked and would not turn a half turn in either direction. My best guess of travel would be ten degrees max in either direction. Perhaps not even that. Which is better - CLB or LCM5? And, thank you again for your expertise.
LMC5
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
tikiman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cessna10
My goodness sounds like you have found an honest dealer, you
should share the name for owners in your area
Good idea. It's Royal Chevrolet in Richmond, VA.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

First a question. Do you trust the dealer that you take your car to???

While you can install either a CLB or LMC5 and get around the fact that the recall was never done to the car, if it were me I would take the car to a dealer you can trust and have the 04006C version of the GM Column Lock Recall Service done to the car. The recall was mandated by NHTSA as a safety recall. Not trying to play lawyer here but should your car be in an accident and the fact that there was an outstanding safety recall on the car, you expose yourself to many possible actions none of which you want to deal with.

The 04006C variation of the recall for your 99 automatic will replace the lock plate, and install a GM K Harness. It will NOT reflash the PCM with the dreaded 2mph fuel shutoff.

With this version of the recall service your column will never lock and you will NOT ever experience the 2mph fuel shutoff. Therefore you really do not need either a CLB or LMC5.

If you would like to talk to me directly, let me know and I will PM you my phone number. I can assure you that I am a VERY knowledgeable person on the C5 Column Lock situation.

Here is a link to the FULL text of the 04006C recall service:

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenficht...olumn_lock.pdf
Can you help me decipher the GMVIS regarding my steering wheel? I wrote just the most pertinent info.
What does status closed means. Was the work done or the expiration date just went without the work being done by previous owner?
Is the wire kit installed on 03/16/2006 the GM K harness?
What is the status of my steering wheel at this time? Can I still get stuck with a locked steering wheel and fuel cut off at 2 mph?
Am still planning to install a LMC5 for peace of mind.

Required Field Actions
Type: Product Safety Recall
Number: N040006
Original Nbr:04006
Description: ELECTRONIC COLUMN LOCK SYSTEM
Release Date: 04/19/2004

Transaction history
Job Card Date: 03/16/2006
Job Card Number:235920
Transaction Type: ZFAT----Field Action Recall
Transaction Adjustment: ----
Labour Operation: V1409 - 04006 - Install Wire Kit Only - U.S. Manuals

Thanks

Last edited by laurent_zo6; 09-28-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 02z06dave
Wouldnt it be a better idea to spend 40 bucks on a battery tender than buying a nee battery every year? Unless you get batteries for free...
Huh? A new battery every year!!?? Are you nuts?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Jose Jalapeno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
LMC5
why in your opinion is that better than the CLB?

I see this kind of stuff http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nce-parts.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ly-locked.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-unlocker.html

meanwhile CLB is plug and play no drama....no fuses to mess with..
Old 09-28-2013, 11:36 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

We installed the CLB Bypass on my buddies Vette and no more issues! He had the recall done and his battery went low and it fried the GM fix!

Now with CLB, it is done for good!

Easy fix too!

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

What this is telling you is that on 4/19/2004 the GM Recall Service was done to the car. I see that the car is a manual trans so what was done is the PCM reflashed with a load that sets the fuel shutoff to 2mph. That resulted in the status of the recall for your car being changed to "closed" meaning the recall has been done.

No offense to 8VETTE7 but, I do not believe for a second that the work was performed on 4-19-2004 on his car as I have a GMVIS report on my '98 done a few weeks ago by one of the forum supporters and mine says the same thing, I believe that is when GM "closed" it? Doubtful that both are cars got that done on the same day?

The supporter also said that he could not bring anything else up on my car as it is over 10 years old? so my report shows product safety recalls for the column lock with a release date of 4-19-2004 and "closed' and the Lap Belt webbing twisted dated 11/10/2000 and "closed" . I do know the lap belt was done as the car has a sticker on the inner fender by the engine sticker showing it was completed. Somebody has done something to my column in the past as the steering wheel does not "lock" with the key out so I am putting in the LMC5 today for extra insurance.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 09-28-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

my report...

Get notified of new replies

To Update - steering column lock issue

Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

8VETTE7, Our car is a auto, just stating that I think there is something more to that date than the service being completed on that date as my GMVIS report shows the same date and remarked "Closed" as shown in the photo above of my report.
My car does have a tag on it on the inner fender showing my car received the seat belt fix, maybe they did the column at the same time but did not note it on the fender ? I just installed a LMC5 this am and there is no evidence of any work that I could see in the passenger foot well it definetley didn't have a LMC5 installed prior so either the dealer or somebody else had done something to my column in the past as it definetley didn't lock before since I've owned it.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 09-28-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,848 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
No offense to 8VETTE7 but, I do not believe for a second that the work was performed on 4-19-2004 on his car as I have a GMVIS report on my '98 done a few weeks ago by one of the forum supporters and mine says the same thing, I believe that is when GM "closed" it? Doubtful that both are cars got that done on the same day?

The supporter also said that he could not bring anything else up on my car as it is over 10 years old? so my report shows product safety recalls for the column lock with a release date of 4-19-2004 and "closed' and the Lap Belt webbing twisted dated 11/10/2000 and "closed" . I do know the lap belt was done as the car has a sticker on the inner fender by the engine sticker showing it was completed. Somebody has done something to my column in the past as the steering wheel does not "lock" with the key out so I am putting in the LMC5 today for extra insurance.
I think you are misunderstanding the use of the term "closed" as applied to recalls. A manufacturer cannot close a safety recall, only the NHTSA can. The dealer can indicate that the required service was performed, and that's it.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Understood, I am guessing now that this report is saying "Closed " means the work was done on my car and so it is "closed" for my car as the release date per my GMVIS shows a release date of 4/19/2004 for the column lock and a release date for the lap belt of 11/10/2000.

Quick Reply: Update - steering column lock issue