Sponsored by:

LMC5 and unlocker

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 PM
sssmokn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LMC5 and unlocker

Installed the LMC5 today and attempted to unlock wheel with unlocker . Pretty sure I followed the instructions , got to step 3 and hooked up the unlocker but still nothing . Though wheel is locked there is no security message when I start the car . Any tips ?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 PM
dood73
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are trying to use the enclosed unlocker to try and free-up a frozen/locked wheel, then that won't work. The wheel needs to be able to unlock normally to install the kit. The unlocker only fires the solenoid that disengages the lock pin from the wheel. If it is already stuck, then it won't do anything.

I installed mine when the CL was working normally - more of a preventative thing. If this is your situation and it isn't unlocking, then I'd double check you are hitting the right points in the harness with the unlocker.

If you wheel is frozen, then some people mentioned that rocking it back and forth vigorously can sometimes free up the pin. Then you can use the unlocker.

Good luck. Hope it is an easy fix.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The LMC5 has to be installed with the wheel unlocked (turn key to on to unlock then disconnect battery). Read the instructions and then follow them exactly!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck - hope you can get the wheel unlocked and get the LMC 5 installed.

If you can't get it unlocked any other way, this was just posted by another forum member and it might be an option. If you have any questions on just what he did, best to contact him and let him explain it.
Attached Files
Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
The LMC5 has to be installed with the wheel unlocked (turn key to on to unlock then disconnect battery). Read the instructions and then follow them exactly!
Is this what your instructions said? Turn key to on to unlock then disconnect the battery? I installed mine about 18 months ago and that's not what my instructions said. I'm curious because I know Compliance has made some changes in their devices they sell. I know they have 3 different versions and now wonder if they have changed the instructions too.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by sssmokn
Installed the LMC5 today and attempted to unlock wheel with unlocker . Pretty sure I followed the instructions , got to step 3 and hooked up the unlocker but still nothing . Though wheel is locked there is no security message when I start the car . Any tips ?

Thanks
Did you check the fuse in your unlocker to make sure it was good? If you have a meter check the leads after you connect the unlocker to the battery to make sure you have 12 volts.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
Is this what your instructions said? Turn key to on to unlock then disconnect the battery? I installed mine about 18 months ago and that's not what my instructions said. I'm curious because I know Compliance has made some changes in their devices they sell. I know they have 3 different versions and now wonder if they have changed the instructions too.
Just re-read the instructions... "If your column unlocks when you turn the key to ON (which mine did), you may try this alternate column unlock procedure BEFORE beginning the LMC5 installation: Turn the key to ON, then remove fuse 23 in the passenger footwell fuse panel. Remove the key and verify the steering wheel remains unlocked.... Proceed to the LMC5 installation, and replace fuse 23 after completing STEP 1.
STEP 1 part 3 is disconnecting the battery. (Then replace the fuse).

I never had the column lock issue. My LMC5 was a preventative measure ie: learned from others mistakes!

EDIT - The OP never specifically mentioned whether this was a preventative or reactive fix! I'm assuming (which is usually a bad thing to do....) that it was preventative as the instructions clearly say in bold on the first page,

"Before beginning, please verify that the steering column does not lock (See box on following page)."

Further on the first page it says,

"IMPORTANT: If your steering column locks, unlock it now. Follow the LMC5 Unlocker instructions before continuing."

EDIT part 2 - sorry! - In other words, the column HAS to be unlocked BEFORE you install the LMC5. I never used the unlocker but ordered it anyway 'just in case'.

Last edited by Chilliwack vettes; 05-25-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 PM
tacman
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13
Default Unlock Technique

Originally Posted by dood73
If you are trying to use the enclosed unlocker to try and free-up a frozen/locked wheel, then that won't work. The wheel needs to be able to unlock normally to install the kit. The unlocker only fires the solenoid that disengages the lock pin from the wheel. If it is already stuck, then it won't do anything.

I installed mine when the CL was working normally - more of a preventative thing. If this is your situation and it isn't unlocking, then I'd double check you are hitting the right points in the harness with the unlocker.

If you wheel is frozen, then some people mentioned that rocking it back and forth vigorously can sometimes free up the pin. Then you can use the unlocker.

Good luck. Hope it is an easy fix.

Ignition OFF. hands at 10 and 2. Rock wheel left and right several times with vigor and prejudice. Turn key to ON. Hopefully, you will have moved the pin enough to disengage from the lock plate and you will hear the solenoid disengage. I experienced all of the above and this technique worked for me. Good luck with this common C5 PITA problem!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:31 PM
sssmokn
Intermediate

Default Lmc5

Well after messing around with the LMC5 and the unlocker I just decided to disconnect it . The reason steering wheel got locked in the first place was because after performing the LMC5 & unlocker steps I moved the wheel to see if it would turn freely and it locked . Messed around with it all morning and finally gave up , plugged in the factory wires and the wheel unlocked and car drove fine . I'll contact the vendor next week being this is a holliday weekend . Maybe I missed something or could be a bad unit , vendor says they'll test it if you ship it back . Thanks to all for the tips and advise .
Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Just re-read the instructions... "If your column unlocks when you turn the key to ON (which mine did), you may try this alternate column unlock procedure BEFORE beginning the LMC5 installation: Turn the key to ON, then remove fuse 23 in the passenger footwell fuse panel. Remove the key and verify the steering wheel remains unlocked.... Proceed to the LMC5 installation, and replace fuse 23 after completing STEP 1.

I never had the column lock issue. My LMC5 was a preventative measure ie: learned from others mistakes!

EDIT - The OP never specifically mentioned whether this was a preventative or reactive fix! I'm assuming (which is usually a bad thing to do....) that it was preventative as the instructions clearly say in bold on the first page,

"Before beginning, please verify that the steering column does not lock (See box on following page)."

"IMPORTANT: If your steering column locks, unlock it now. Follow the LMC5 Unlocker instructions before continuing."

EDIT part 2 - sorry! - In other words, the column HAS to be unlocked BEFORE you install the LMC5. I never used the unlocker but ordered it anyway 'just in case'.
I just re-read my instructions. They apparently made a revision to include the alternate method. My instructions mentioned there were other methods of unlocking but didn't have any instructions how to do them, only said they highly recommend using the unlocker.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 PM
sssmokn
Intermediate

Default Lmc5

Well after talking with the vendor Rich I believe , he had me look at the wiring on one of the harness and apparently mine has one usually found on the manuals , mine is auto . So using the Unlocker steps related to auto trans cars was getting me no where . Started over and went with the pull fuse 23 method . Installed the LMC5 and test drove , no messages and car drove over 200 mph . After going two rounds with the installation process I hope that now I have colum lock insurance ! Thanks again
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I like this alternative unlock procedure, didn't find it in the LMC5 install instructions though.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now having this issue with my 98 (sold in 97) that does NOT have the relay. No matter what I do, it will not unlock. I am the 2nd owner and to my knowledge, the Recall was never done. Do I have a chance for Chevrolet to fix it still or am I screwed for a $1500 bill?
I should mention that I DID order the LMC5 and the Unlocker. The unlocker will NOT unlock the column.

Last edited by Ozzysezit; 05-24-2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 05-24-2014, 06:57 AM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ozzysezit
I am now having this issue with my 98 (sold in 97) that does NOT have the relay. No matter what I do, it will not unlock. I am the 2nd owner and to my knowledge, the Recall was never done. Do I have a chance for Chevrolet to fix it still or am I screwed for a $1500 bill?
I should mention that I DID order the LMC5 and the Unlocker. The unlocker will NOT unlock the column.
I have a 99 and did the recall last year (2013)at my local Chevy dealer. GM has to honor the recall if it's never been done. I still bought an LMC5 though.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Well after talking with the vendor Rich I believe , he had me look at the wiring on one of the harness and apparently mine has one usually found on the manuals , mine is auto . So using the Unlocker steps related to auto trans cars was getting me no where . Started over and went with the pull fuse 23 method . Installed the LMC5 and test drove , no messages and car drove over 200 mph . After going two rounds with the installation process I hope that now I have colum lock insurance ! Thanks again
Old 05-24-2014, 06:38 PM
theheat
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12, '14, '17

Installed the LMC5 on a Sunday morning last year. Misread the instructions. Richard called me back that same evening to help me through. The man stands behind his product.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Any tips ?

Thanks
yes....change your avatar so we don't have to

Get notified of new replies

To LMC5 and unlocker

Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you hook the unlocker up to the battery and connect it to the original purple and orange wires? It should unlock right away. Make sure you connect it to the first wires you removed and capped off, not the wires in the harness.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Yes, I got mine unlocked!!!
I called Richard, ON A SATURDAY!! Memorial Day Weekend and he was there!!!
I highly recommend anyone with a C5 to put this little gem in before you get stranded & have to get towed home (like I did).
Richard walked me thru it step by step, was very patient with questions or concerns I had and was extremely knowledgeable with what I was experiencing even without ever seeing the car. I could tell after talking to him that he has been thru this quite a few times.
^5 to Richard at Complianceparts.com!!!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Pewter99,
just wondering, what is wrong with his/her Avatar and why should it be changed?

Quick Reply: LMC5 and unlocker