Sponsored by:

LMC5 Column Lock Installed, Now permanently locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default LMC5 Column Lock Installed, Now permanently locked

Well just got done with installing the Compliance Parts LMC5 to prevent my column from locking in the future, followed the instructions to a T and now my steering wheel is locked.

After completing the installation, I inserted the key, turned to the on position, didn't get any DIC error messages. Ok cool, started it, no error messages. Started it a few more times, no error messages. Then I wiggled the wheel after I had removed the key then it locked. I figured no biggie, I'll insert the key again and it will unlock, not so much!

All though the install the steering wheel was not locked, it locked up after I took the key out after the installation. Any ideas? Just left Rick at Compliance Parts a message, figure he'll get back to me in the morning. Any help in the mean time would be appreciated!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

I've read the it could be possible that the CLB and BCM could have gotten out of sync and that pulling fuse 23 will reset the BCM. Any issue with doing so?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...

Did you use the "unlocker" during install of the LMC5?
Did you remove the relay as suggested in the instructions?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

I didn't use the unlocker, my column wasn't locked before, just wanted to install it before It did lock up on me.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 AM
Boosted93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should call them... they can give you way better advice then most of us.

I had issues with there LMC5 module and called them today..
There way nice to talk to and are willing to help out.. (855) 565-8388
Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Rockbridge
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
Well just got done with installing the Compliance Parts LMC5 to prevent my column from locking in the future, followed the instructions to a T and now my steering wheel is locked.

After completing the installation, I inserted the key, turned to the on position, didn't get any DIC error messages. Ok cool, started it, no error messages. Started it a few more times, no error messages. Then I wiggled the wheel after I had removed the key then it locked. I figured no biggie, I'll insert the key again and it will unlock, not so much!

All though the install the steering wheel was not locked, it locked up after I took the key out after the installation. Any ideas? Just left Rick at Compliance Parts a message, figure he'll get back to me in the morning. Any help in the mean time would be appreciated!
Sorry for your problems but this sounds like a person feeling pretty good then taking an aspirin and getting a migraine headache!

Good Luck with the cure
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

U
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM
tigtorch
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
So what you are saying is that before installing the LMC5 the column did NOT lock when there was NO KEY in the ignition??? But after the LMC5 install the column is in fact locked?????
Well the column on my car would always lock with the key out after rotating the wheel a bit, but I never did get the "pull key, wait 10 sec" DIC message. It would lock like any other car does then when I insert the key and turn it to the on position it would unlock.

Any harm in just uninstalling the LMC5 then trying again?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,584 Likes on 14,130 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck to you - hope it is something simple that can be done to get the wheel unlocked and the install successful.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

I hope it's something simple as well, everything was working fine after the installation, until I had shut the car off, jiggled the wheel then it became permanently locked. Messing with it last night, I was able to get the wheel to move about an 1/8th of a turn then it locked up again.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
dood73
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine worked fine also before the install. You have to use the unlocker to disengage the lock on the wheel and then permanently disconnect the relay that controls the locker motor. Then you install the module. The wheel will always be unlocked.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Originally Posted by dood73
Mine worked fine also before the install. You have to use the unlocker to disengage the lock on the wheel and then permanently disconnect the relay that controls the locker motor. Then you install the module. The wheel will always be unlocked.
Yup, prior to removing the factory wires/pins in the connectors on the BCM I had disconnected that relay that sits up above the BCM since the is a manual. After that, I had continued the installation.

Thanks for all the info so far!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,309 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Sounds like you may have missed a step in the procedure to install the LMC5...
Since the column would be locked with NO KEY in the ignition, if you don't take some step to get it unlocked BEFORE you start installing the LMC5, it will be locked when you get it installed as you are experiencing.
As was suggested above, I would call them and talk about the procedure that you need to follow.
At the risk of sounding dense ...

If a steering column does what it is intended to do- that is, lock when the key is out and unlock when the key is inserted, then there is no need for the "UNLOCKER" and the LCM5 can be installed and correct the issue. Further, the ONLY time the "UNLOCKER" is needed is if the steering column locked IN ERROR and PRIOR to installing the LMC5.

The wording in the LMC5 instruction sheet says that the UNLOCKER is required if the steering column locks with the key out of the ignition, which to me, sounds like the UNLOCKER is needed even though the steering column is performing as designed?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

I'm thinking that now that the column is locked with and without having the key installed, I just need to use an unlocker and I'll be good to go. I was thinking along the lines you are in that if my column lock is working as intended, I wouldn't need the unlocker when installing the LMC5. Now that this issue has come up, it sounds like I do.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all, that is why I have the unlocker, and LMC5 in my trunk. I would've never ending issues if I tried to install it now.

Now before people say Oh sure he is full of crap he could slap the LMC5 in. I've walked into a bank they couldn't take my money I had to go back the next day. I had cataracts when they did my left eye the IV didn't work the Doctor couldn't stop to do a new IV so I watched my eye being taken apart with no drugs. I could go on for days, so unlike the OP I know for me its, don't try to fix what isn't broke.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
RayCE
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Any up date on this topic. ??? Have you solve the problem.
I have the LMC5 but have not installed it yet......Column is working fine. I don' t want to run into the same problem....

Get notified of new replies

To LMC5 Column Lock Installed, Now permanently locked

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I'm thinking that now that the column is locked with and without having the key installed, I just need to use an unlocker and I'll be good to go. I was thinking along the lines you are in that if my column lock is working as intended, I wouldn't need the unlocker when installing the LMC5. Now that this issue has come up, it sounds like I do.
The reason for disabling the lock's ability to lock the steering wheel is that it can stop working as intended at any time and leave you stranded. This is why it must be disabled prior to installing the LMC5.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Originally Posted by RayCE
Any up date on this topic. ??? Have you solve the problem.
I have the LMC5 but have not installed it yet......Column is working fine. I don' t want to run into the same problem....
No update as of yet, I'm at work at the moment so I haven't had a chance to work on this. Looks like Compliance Parts opens in 10 minutes, will give them a call then. Will let everyone know what I find out!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM
RayCE
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

No update as of yet, I'm at work at the moment so I haven't had a chance to work on this. Looks like Compliance Parts opens in 10 minutes, will give them a call then. Will let everyone know what I find out!
Thanks for the update.....good luck solving this issue.

Quick Reply: LMC5 Column Lock Installed, Now permanently locked