C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch recomendations or tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Z~max
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch recomendations or tips

I have a 95 LT1 6spd w/51K miles. It is basically stock execept for Hypertech tune and the K&N air filter. I do take the car to the track. I need a new throwout bearing and figured I might as well do the clutch too. Does anyone have any recomendations or advice would be appreciated?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Z~max
Advanced

I gotta say I am really shocked. Nobody has an opinion. Does anyone see a reason not to use the stock setup?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,774 Likes on 949 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

With the stock engine the stock clutch setup would be fine. I have the stock clutch in my L98 and it holds up at the track.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

*sigh*

The limited responses are because this issue has been beat to death here a thousand times.

As far as taking the power and abuse, the stock unit would be fine. The problem comes if/when you need a flywheel. Right now, there are no replacement dual mass flywheels being made. There is still some old stock available, but once those are gone, they are gone. They also command a premium price right now, North of $1,000 in most cases.

The problem with ditching the dual mass and converting to a single mass flywheel is noise. The transmission in your car, by inherent design, is a noisy piece. Not as noisy as earlier ZF6 transmissions, but noisy none the less. The dual mass helps to absorb that noise and quiet the transmission down. The popular rumor is that is the reason GM decided to use the dual mass, but I've never seen any actual documentation or proof of that.

If you do decide to go single mass, there are some options for you. Carolina Clutch has some good options for low powered stock replacement units. Centerforce also makes a good unit with the dual friction pressure plate. I use the Centerforce unit with a single mass and like it.

Lastly, why do you think the throw out bearing is bad? In all my time around C4 Corvettes, I've never heard of a throw out bearing actually being bad. Most of the time, when people think the throw out bearing is bad, it's mis-diagnosed because of the inherent noise of the transmission. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but I haven't ran across it.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Z~max
Advanced

Sorry for bothering everyone with a "beat" subject. I did a search and found nothing.

As far as why I think I need a new bearing:

With the cluch pedal realeased I have a good bit of noise like a grumbling bearing (depressed it goes away). It has gotten worse over the psat few years. I figure the guy I bought it from may have rode around with his foot on the pedal or something like that. Anyway, last time at the track, I took the car out the next day and now I have a louder grumbling and with the pedal depressed fully it has almost a ticking/clacking kind of sound. If you let up a half inch the noises are completley gone. I am not sure if the new noise is a bad finger on the clutch or what it is. I really need to tear it down and examine it.

Thanks for the help. I will probably stick with the stock clutch setup for now since it will be a while before I would be making any big power increases.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z~max
Sorry for bothering everyone with a "beat" subject. I did a search and found nothing.
You didn't bother anyone. The people who are tired of discussing this simply won't bother to reply.

As far as searching, and advanced search for the word "clutch" in the C4 tech section yields 250 responses. Some of the more pertinent information can be found in these threads:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ir-clutch.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...heel-itch.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...e-lt1-zf6.html

Also, www.zfdoc.com is a great resource.

With the cluch pedal realeased I have a good bit of noise like a grumbling bearing (depressed it goes away). It has gotten worse over the psat few years. I figure the guy I bought it from may have rode around with his foot on the pedal or something like that. Anyway, last time at the track, I took the car out the next day and now I have a louder grumbling and with the pedal depressed fully it has almost a ticking/clacking kind of sound. If you let up a half inch the noises are completley gone. I am not sure if the new noise is a bad finger on the clutch or what it is. I really need to tear it down and examine it.

Thanks for the help. I will probably stick with the stock clutch setup for now since it will be a while before I would be making any big power increases.
It certainly sounds like it could be a throw out bearing. Good luck with it, let us know what you find.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Z~max
Advanced

I did try the advanced search, but it said there were no results. (Just my luck) I will check out these other links though. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

With the cluch pedal realeased I have a good bit of noise like a grumbling bearing (depressed it goes away). It has gotten worse over the psat few years.
Your saying when you have the clutch out in neutral it makes noise?

When you push the clutch in the noise goes away?

This is most likely common ZF6 trans noise. Yours is getting worse because the DM flywheel is wearing out.

A bad throwout brg will be the oposite. It will make noise when you load it... ie push the clutch in.
Will
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Z~max
Advanced

Originally Posted by rklessdriver

Will
Yes.

Yes. Until now. With the clutch pedal pushed in to the floor, it makes a louder noise with a clicking or clacking type of sound. Like a spring finger was catching on the bearing. Maybe a bolt backing out?

Last edited by Z~max; 09-03-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver

This is most likely common ZF6 trans noise. Yours is getting worse because the DM flywheel is wearing out.

A bad throwout brg will be the oposite. It will make noise when you load it... ie push the clutch in.
Will
Good to know. I have the noise as the OP described when the clutch is out and in neutral. I was under the impression it was a throw out bearing but after searching now know that it is normal becase of the DM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

With the clutch pedal pushed in to the floor, it makes a louder noise with a clicking or clacking type of sound. Like a spring finger was catching on the bearing. Maybe a bolt backing out?
Something is broke. Could be a part of one of the fingers hitting something, could be a bolt or any number of this. You will have to take it apart to see.
Will
Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If noise bothers you, stay with stock parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch recomendations or tips

Quick Reply: Clutch recomendations or tips