C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct sequence to assemble door insides (guts)??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan, great pics as usual, thanks! Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the outer felt strip should be installed after the door glass is in to provide more clearance. Leave the track channels fully inboard for more access as well. It's possible to get the window guts in with the door lock mechanism already installed if you prefer to get that in without the window parts in the way. Of all the projects I've done, the trim, weatherstrip, window rebuild was one of the most daunting and confusing initially but the AIM and some patience is all you need, and of course some awesome reference pictures like alan's!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
........and I find this thread the day AFTER I do my weatherstrip. Is it me, or is the repro sweeper strip total garbage? Could hardly get the clips to line up without major surgery, and a few extra screws.
Are you referring to the one horizontal strip on top the door and on the outer side of the glass?

Originally Posted by NassyVette
..the outer felt strip should be installed after the door glass is in to provide more clearance..
Gee - there was hardly enough room to get my fingers in to press the outer felt strip into the outer door. I will venture more this week into this challenge So may need to cry on ya'lls shoulder.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
Are you referring to the one horizontal strip on top the door and on the outer side of the glass?

Gee - there was hardly enough room to get my fingers in to press the outer felt strip into the outer door. I will venture more this week into this challenge So may need to cry on ya'lls shoulder.
Yes. A friend got some repro strips fro his 68 Camaro and had the same problem.
BTW, I had no problem getting my glass in with the sweeper strip in place. But I believe you can loosen the bottom stoppers in the vertical channels and drop the glass for access to the strip.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
I believe you can loosen the bottom stoppers in the vertical channels and drop the glass for access to the strip.
Sounds reasonable - will venture there....
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Alan - still waiting for the AIM - Alan's Instruction Manual.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Gents....Working on the side glass and mounting channel….

In the 1969 AIM Page 157 Item 5 is flat steel washer looking NUT. It has 2 holes drilled towards the outer edges of the circumference that appear to be for tightening it. Regardless, there is no torque value for this… any thoughts on how tight this should be… just maybe a tad tighter than hand tight due to the fact it is sandwiched?

Also on this same page, item 12 and 13 are a plastic fastener (assuming male) and plastic cap (assuming female) respectively. The fastener end has a big **** looking thing on it, whereas the cap looks like a clipping style lock. It is hard to discern in the AIM picture whether the **** should be on the outer side of the glass – or the inner. If I understand the parts, the **** of the fastener should be on the inside of the glass. Just to clarify – the male fastener would go through the glass from the inboard side.

Hope that is clear as mud… thanks
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi kb,
I looked at my 71 AIM. The female part... cap... is on the outside of the glass, and the male part...fastener... is on the inside. BUT, I think the labels/part names are wrong; the part that's a bushing/glide is on the inside of the glass and the fastener is on the outside. So the part is shown in the right place but the item name is wrong in the AIM.

The odd round fastener/nut IS very odd. I tightened it by hand, and then used a pliers to tighten it just a bit more. As usual Dr. Rebuild has a great drawing of them... Door Glass Round Nuts... with a caution to not over tighten!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-22-2011, 12:23 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Hey Alan - thanks...

I also found 2 article last night:

Alan's AIM pic and Various Pics of assembled Glass

Cut-Away of Door Glass Assembly Installed

Alan... we both may need a sanity check...

Check out the pic in the 1st link - Hammadown's assembled window appears to have the female cap on the inside of the glass. It is hard to tell the curvature of the glass though and I cannot see the AstroVentilation logo. So the Male part is installed from the outside to the inboard side.. the female cap would be on the inside.

On the 2nd link, there is a cut-away view and you can see the Male Fastener is installed from the outboard side.

I am thinking the labels are correct in your AIM and the pictures are reversed. New train of thought.... Cap = the Male Bolt and Fastener = the female clip thang.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi KB,
....... I'm SO confused.
I have nothing to look at, plus, I don't quite understand what the 'glide' does, ( I'm guessing it's to stop the window from rattling when the window is down?, or maybe when it's up?, or maybe when you close the door?), so I can't know for sure where it's supposed to be.
Dr. Rebuild does his own drawings, he doesn't copy from any source. His drawing definitely shows the 'bushing', glide, male part, on the inside of the glass, and the 'fastener', female part, on the outside of the glass.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Hey Alan...
The driver window is in - but not going up the entire way in the front (1/8 max more needed.

2 things....

Now that I look, that white thing seems to be doing 2 items. Possibly preventing the window from moving up that last 1/8" ... and pushing the window a tad inboard so that the front edge of the window is hitting the metal on the inside frame of the door. It is preventing the window from moving outboard 3/16" or so that would allow it to be in the center of the U shaped metal cut out at the front of the door frame...

I will check Dr Rebuild now.. I would hate to pull that SOB out just to reverse the direction of that white cap/fastener
Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

I see Doc Rebuild Page 118....

Alan - WHen you look at the front edge of your side glass wiundow, does it sit in the middle of the U shaped metal cut out in the door frame?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Yup - I am totally confused now too.... can Dr Rebuild make errrors???????

Replacement Male 'nub' is on outside of glass....

Original? Male 'nub' is also on outside of glass....

Ebay Male 'nub' is also on outside of glass....

Last edited by kaiserbud; 10-23-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi kb,
I just took a look at my original glass.
I don't know if this helps.... whatever part was on the outside of the glass left TWO concentric rings around the hole. Whatever part was on the inside left only ONE ring around the hole.
Can you tell what part might have done that?
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Thanks Alan - gee - to me that means **** would be the single circle and the female lock ring would be the double ring...

Just to add to the confusion, mine never had the rear ones... quit laughing...

Quick Reply: Correct sequence to assemble door insides (guts)??