C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 crank pulley loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:28 PM
EMTPRES
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6MagRed
2600+ miles...no sign of this problem so far...from reading this thread there seems to be 3 cars affected....how many more forum members affected?...don't know, but hundreds are online at any given time and you'd expect some response if they were...I would suggest percentage to be low, probably less than 1%...time will tell...next time I'm in for oil change/service I'll have them look at it for sure.
At 1200 miles 100mph my belt came off. Looked under the hood and saw the pulley just about to tuch the rack and pinion.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:37 PM
EMTPRES
Intermediate

I am a first timer to this forum and have ben very impessed with the information i have seen written.
Last night at 100mph i lost a belt, looked under the hood and saw the pully about to touch the rack and pinion. Of cours i started top panic because i have only driven the car 1200 miles. Today i looked for other owners with this problem and found this forum. I have not contacted a dealership yet does any one have new information about how to handle this problem.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 PM
ssmed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EMTPRES
I am a first timer to this forum and have ben very impessed with the information i have seen written.
Last night at 100mph i lost a belt, looked under the hood and saw the pully about to touch the rack and pinion. Of cours i started top panic because i have only driven the car 1200 miles. Today i looked for other owners with this problem and found this forum. I have not contacted a dealership yet does any one have new information about how to handle this problem.

automatic or manual?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:23 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

I am curious regarding what happened to your car. You say last night at 100 mph.........what was the aftermath? You stopped and saw the damage and did what---drive it home---get it flatbedded? Where is the car now and is it driveable? I re read this entire thread when I saw it---when it happened to me I was more than mad--then it happened again---but it is fixable---more now than before---if it is not at the dealer now you should get it there. The c6 has crank pulley issues and the factory treats them like ''isolated incidents'' which is not the case at all.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EMTPRES
Sorry for your inclusion to this tiny little club.

1.Call the Chevrolet Customer 800 number,800-222-1020 so you can begin the documentation process. They will pursue a resolution starting from the other end and may help speed things along. They will assign you a case number.
2. Get the car back to your dealer so they can impliment the correct fix.

Let them do their job of course, but at the first sign of confusion on their part you will want to be actively involved. My dealer was great IMO but some here have different stories.

I think the 800 number thing worked great in my case anyway.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
EMTPRES
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
I am curious regarding what happened to your car. You say last night at 100 mph.........what was the aftermath? You stopped and saw the damage and did what---drive it home---get it flatbedded? Where is the car now and is it driveable? I re read this entire thread when I saw it---when it happened to me I was more than mad--then it happened again---but it is fixable---more now than before---if it is not at the dealer now you should get it there. The c6 has crank pulley issues and the factory treats them like ''isolated incidents'' which is not the case at all.
One belt came off, Pulley is just about off, Oil is coming out of the front of the engin. It felt like a wheel was coming off so i pulled over, with the engine running I opened the hood and saw the pulley doing a dance ( not good ). Called a flatbed. Car is not drivable, it will start and runs OK, but you cant drive it. This happened on Saturday night, Sunday no dealerships are open so I found this website and it made me feal a little better knowing i'am not alone with this. Of course my first thaught was i have waited a long time to by a car like this, how can this be happening to me. Second thought was how much fighting will I do with Chevy to get this fixed to my satisfaction not theirs. I have written to a well known corvette performance shop ( www.motorsportimage.com ) asking their advice on how the repair should be done, fix it or replace the engine. If you replace the engine how does that afect the documentation of the car. I will post all information as I get it. Because without this forum I would have been on my own.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

I think you will find it can be fixed. I do not worry about mine anymore some 4,500 miles since my dealer fixed it.

BTW you won't be the last person having this issue until all 9000 or so that were built prior to the Julian date have had the fix. There might be some that never come apart because they are driven very sedately by their owners but eventually I think they will all require the correct fix.

So far it appears that there are 10 verifiable cases at least in here CF.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
hawaiianswiss
Racer

Originally Posted by bangbgC6
I think you will find it can be fixed. I do not worry about mine anymore some 4,500 miles since my dealer fixed it.

BTW you won't be the last person having this issue until all 9000 or so that were built prior to the Julian date have had the fix. There might be some that never come apart because they are driven very sedately by their owners but eventually I think they will all require the correct fix.

Let`s hope that not all 9000 or so C6 prior to the Julian dates are affected.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 AM
knkayotte
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5XPert
Once Again .. Wait till 06 to buy your C6 folks.
Yeah, we all know GM fixes their problems right away...............not.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:10 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiianswiss
Let`s hope that not all 9000 or so C6 prior to the Julian dates are affected.
I still tend to think that the bulk of the cars are not affected by this. I might be wrong, but I would have expected many more failures by this time if the problem was due to a bad part or lack of the washer.

GM now has a fix for this, but I don't think they really know why it has happened at all. If spirited driving alone were the cause, the bolts would have certainly loosened during all the high speed testing that was done prior to production. Most of us do tend to push our cars...I don't think many C6 owners drive their cars like family sedans...I know I sure push mine. In spite of this, the vast majority of owners haven't yet experienced this failure. I think something else is going on here, like random assembly errors at the plants that produce the motors.

Until and unless GM issues a recall, all we can do is watch and wait. I don't think a dealer will take on the job of installing the new washer on his own without at least a TSB or some sign of belt wear on the individual car.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

I, for instance, only have 200 something miles. It wouldn't show up yet. But read the other interesting thread.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:42 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StanNH
I still tend to think that the bulk of the cars are not affected by this. I might be wrong, but I would have expected many more failures by this time if the problem was due to a bad part or lack of the washer.

GM now has a fix for this, but I don't think they really know why it has happened at all. If spirited driving alone were the cause, the bolts would have certainly loosened during all the high speed testing that was done prior to production. Most of us do tend to push our cars...I don't think many C6 owners drive their cars like family sedans...I know I sure push mine. In spite of this, the vast majority of owners haven't yet experienced this failure. I think something else is going on here, like random assembly errors at the plants that produce the motors.

Until and unless GM issues a recall, all we can do is watch and wait. I don't think a dealer will take on the job of installing the new washer on his own without at least a TSB or some sign of belt wear on the individual car.
This was just posted in CF/GD and will hopefully put to rest any questions on the subject.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=993736
Old 01-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Jay_Dee_55
Instructor

Originally Posted by bangbgC6

Has the crank pulley problem been fixed in later production C6s?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:34 AM
BOG1E
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
My car was built on 11/12---seems to me this problem area was known prior to then.
That was a Friday, this kind of lends a little credence to not buying a car that was built on a Monday or Friday.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Could someone let me know if I need to be concerned or not?

My VIN is 110416.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 AM
hawaiianswiss
Racer

Originally Posted by BOG1E
That was a Friday, this kind of lends a little credence to not buying a car that was built on a Monday or Friday.
The engine was built prior to the car build date.So I guess this has nothing to to with it.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:20 AM
hawaiianswiss
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Could someone let me know if I need to be concerned or not?

My VIN is 110416.
It was stated that all C6 prior to VIN 111039 could be affected.So your car was also built before that VIN.I would mark the crank pulley with a paint pen and monitor it from time to time.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 crank pulley loose

Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiianswiss
It was stated that all C6 prior to VIN 111039 could be affected.So your car was also built before that VIN.I would mark the crank pulley with a paint pen and monitor it from time to time.
Thanks!

Exactly how/where do I make this pen mark?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:42 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
I, for instance, only have 200 something miles. It wouldn't show up yet.
The very first post to this thread is a report of the crank pulley coming loose at 183 miles.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:14 PM
hawaiianswiss
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Thanks!

Exactly how/where do I make this pen mark?

Raise the car in the front and locate the crank pulley on the lower part of the engine.It`s the big black pulley in the middle in front of the engine.Take your paint marker and mark the pulley and the bolt in a straight line.
Now you can monitor if the bolt is loosening.If your paint mark on the bolt/pulley doesn`t match anymore go to your dealer as soon as possible!

Quick Reply: C6 crank pulley loose