C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

3 point belts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
jlagarde
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 3 point belts

I read past posts (from 2006) about adding the shoulder harness to a
C2. I would like to do this on the 66 and am looking for current advice and testimonials from those who have installed them.

I'd like to make them as safe as possible and am hoping that over the past few years there maybe more sources and more original looking items.

In any case, I'd appreciate any info from the experienced.

Thanks
Joe

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Try this ===> Click Here

George

Last edited by Black_Magic; 03-09-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I reposted something I did a couple of years ago since the links to some of the images were gone... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ap-belt-2.html

This is what I did to my ’66 roadster…

The car came with worn-out, aftermarket seatbelts. I wanted to upgrade and I liked the look of the original belts but I wanted the security of a 3-point. So…

I went with the 3-point harness from Eckler’s but I did it the hard way… I replaced the buckles, tongues and strap ends with originals (found them on flea-bay) and I modified the shoulder belt bracket so that it had a second attachment by bolting to the frame. It wasn’t the cheapest or easiest way but I wanted to do minimal mods to the car, have something that looked good and would give me a slight increase in safety. I’m very happy with the results and it was fun…

I got lucky with the original seatbelts I found on e-bay. I bought them for the hardware and they only needed the tongues re-chromed. I was able to refurbish the buckles myself and the end brackets only needed some cleanup. The new rear shoulder bracket was a bit challenging but after careful measuring, I placed the supplied brackets in what would have been the original GM locations (no interference from the vert top when down or opening the jack storage area). However, I wanted a second attachment to the frame so as suggested by other forum members, I talked to the seatbelt provider and they sent me a few extra, misc. brackets. I modified them to fit, marked it carefully and had it welded up. I used existing holes in the frame that allowed me to have a through-bolt for an anchor. The attachment is not rigid because I added rubber bushings (shock absorber type) to allow for a little give (I wanted to avoid any stress to the fiberglass).

Going with the original hardware was not necessary but I am so glad I did. The buckle that came with the 3-pont is actually very nice and looks good but the feel and quality of the original stuff is far superior.

Current update: I love the setup but I'm not sure if they truly are safer than just a lap belt (based on other stuff I have read here) … but it does feel better. The only negative issue has been the retracting metal tongue will sometimes mark up the side panel if I’m not careful when I let it go. Also, I redid my interior and I’ll be redoing the belts in a matching bright blue also getting the stitching redone so it looks neater.

Joe

Completed belts:

Fabricated brackets before welding:

Finished bracket after coating it with galvanizing spray and black paint.

Hardware used for shoulder belt attachment bolts (upgraded to grade 8 and I used original bolts/nuts for the lap belt mounts). Note the rubber bushings used to isolate the brackets a bit from the frame. I was not able to use the lock nut shown (not enough clearance) so I used a simple SS nut with lock-tight.

Shot from underneath the car (looking up) of the rear bracket

Side view

Original rear mount point

Note I also had the seatbelt guide bracket chromed
Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Thanks George and Joe. Great info.

Joe, did you have the original plate meant for the shoulder strap. According to George the plate was installed on all 66 and 67's whether the option was purchased or not.

Has anyone used the factory plate?

Thanks again,
Joe

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Nope... the plate was installed on all '66 and '67 but that didn't start until later in the '66 model year. My '66 didn't have it. I used the same location for a similar plate that came with the kit (modified to also attach to the frame).

Joe

Originally Posted by jlagarde
Thanks George and Joe. Great info.

Joe, did you have the original plate meant for the shoulder strap. According to George the plate was installed on all 66 and 67's whether the option was purchased or not.

Has anyone used the factory plate?

Thanks again,
Joe

Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe's66
Nope... the plate was installed on all '66 and '67 but that didn't start until later in the '66 model year. My '66 didn't have it. I used the same location for a similar plate that came with the kit (modified to also attach to the frame).

Joe
My serial number is in the mid 9000's. Is yours before or after?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

After... north of 111000. Mine was built on Jan 20 1966 with no plate.

Originally Posted by jlagarde
My serial number is in the mid 9000's. Is yours before or after?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM
vette*1963
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Joe on installing the seat belts. Can you please give some more detail on the loop that you installed on the seat to hold the shoulder belt. What did you use and how did you attach it?

Thanks.......John
Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette*1963
Nice job Joe on installing the seat belts. Can you please give some more detail on the loop that you installed on the seat to hold the shoulder belt. What did you use and how did you attach it?

Thanks.......John
The brackets are the ones that came with the kit from Ecklers. They screw to the tube frame of the seatback (you'll need to drill two small holes per seatback). I had them chromed and that makes all the difference.

For everyone’s reference, the company that makes the 3-point kit is Custom Accessories Manufacturing. Craig has been extremely helpful whenever I needed extra parts or now that I needed to redo the webbing to bright blue. I think you can but the kits from him directly and he has been excellent in supporting me after the sale.

Contact info:
Custom Accessories Manufacturing
1030 W. Williamson Way
Fullerton, CA 92833

Email: custom_accessories@yahoo.com
Phone: (714) 520-4589 Toll Free: (800) 560-2358
Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Alan Jay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My .02

I just got through installing the Ecklers three-point belts in my late 66 coupe to the stock anchor nuts. I am very happy with this setup. IMHO, there is no need to fix the reels to the frame because most of the holding is still done by the lap belts, which would hold even if the reel somehow failed. At very worst, you are no worse off than with the stock lap belts. And I do not believe the reels are likely to fail.

Installation notes: my late 66 had the anchor nuts. You have to search for them through the carpet. They have little plastic inserts to keep them from rusting. Pull them out with needle nose pliers.

A set of stock seat belt bolts are perfect for bolting the reels to the anchor nuts. Perfect.

The guides which attach to the seat are butt-ugly. You have to paint them or chrome them or something.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Great post JoeCool66

Get notified of new replies

To 3 point belts

Quick Reply: 3 point belts