Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting there (tranny/diff coolers)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:45 PM
dmtnt
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06 & '12

Default Getting there (tranny/diff coolers)

Now all I have to do is wire them in and fill 'em up with fluids (and pray they don't leak!)

Note the Jiffy-Tite fitting on the filter for easy cleaning as well as the home-made debris shields made from 4"x6" galvanized flashing.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks cool.. Canb you get a pic with the camera zoomed out a little.. Also Why don't you put a few more screws/rivets in the flahsing just in case it decides to come loose. As I am sure it will eat thru a racing tire pretty easily..

Also what filter are you using?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Plumbing for tranny and diff coolers/pumps

A few Qs:

Is there any way to lower the pump a little and get rid of the elbow fittings into and out of the pump? In the mounted position is the pump inlet connection below the minimum oil level in the transmission?

If not, is the Tilton pump OK for suction lift?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:44 AM
dmtnt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Looks cool.. Canb you get a pic with the camera zoomed out a little.. Also Why don't you put a few more screws/rivets in the flahsing just in case it decides to come loose. As I am sure it will eat thru a racing tire pretty easily..

Also what filter are you using?
Thanks. That's about the best zoom I can do with the camera since I don't have a lift, only jackstands. The pic is deceiving, there are actually about 10 sheet metal screws on each debris shield.

The filter is a Canton In-line Screen Protector -> http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...ystem_acc.html
Old 12-01-2004, 08:50 AM
dmtnt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z.06
A few Qs:

Is there any way to lower the pump a little and get rid of the elbow fittings into and out of the pump? In the mounted position is the pump inlet connection below the minimum oil level in the transmission?

If not, is the Tilton pump OK for suction lift?
Lower them? The pics may be deceiving, everything is mounted horizontally where the mufflers used to sit. To clarify, where you see the fittings at the bottom of the cooler is right behind the bottom of the rear fascia where the horizontal openings are.

Tilton rates their pumps for 6ft suction lift max I believe, but mine are mounted within a few inches of the drain plug height. I had to use the elbows because of limited room width-wise. The coolers I selected are pretty wide and I didn't want them mounted too close to the exhaust.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

That looks awesome...nice job and good choice in placement...what type of exhuast are you running??

any chance you can post some pics on how you ran the lines?

Last edited by Oyishdog; 12-01-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
dmtnt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
That looks awesome...nice job and good choice in placement...what type of exhuast are you running??

any chance you can post some pics on how you ran the lines?
Thanks! Running the Corsa Ti exhaust. With LG headers and no cats it sounds WICKED! Will try to snap some pics of the routing - basically I used a combination of hose clamps and bayonet-clip electrical cable clamps and ran the tranny lines on one side of the diff up on the ceiling/floor. The diff cooler feed line runs through the crossmember to the drain plug and the return runs over the exhaust straight to the fill plug. I used Aeroquip Firesleeve to insulate the lines near the exhaust and regular plastic split corrugated conduit to prevent the lines from chewing up anything they touched.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
steve-d
Instructor

Default Trans oil pump

You're using the Tilton pump. Made by another manufacturer as I recall and rebadged for Tilton and others.

It has a plastic head where the NPT threaded AN fittings are inserted. The manufacturer specifically warns against the use of metal fittings and advises the only fittings appropriate are plastic.

I went down this road before. Plastic fittings won't cut it as they are only barbed ends. NPT fittings won't cut it as the manufacturer warns against splitting failure.

Only good resolution is to use a pump w/metal housing.

Pegasus used to carry one but doesn't today.

Just keep inspecting the cap.

Steve
Old 12-03-2004, 09:09 AM
steve-d
Instructor

Default Plastic Tilton pump housing: not the way to go!!

Here is the info as to proper install of the referenced Tilton pump directly from the manufacturer of the Tilton Pumps. They are in fact made by FLOJET, ITT Industries, 20 Icon, Foothill Ranch, CA 92610-3000
Tel: 949 859-4945 and supplied under various labels to other suppliers.

The Tilton Pump used for this referenced Trans Cooler application is a FLOJET 2100 series Demand Pump. Tilton doesn't manufacturer pumps.

I know this Tilton is the same model as I originally obtained the FLOJET model w/Plastic housing and inlets and returned it. I didn't want to risk a cracked pump housing during a race and lose a trans for lack of oil. I then ordered a Tilton pump (the same one shown) from another supplier and its identical w/the same plastic housing and inlets. The only diff was the label.

The Tilton instructions omit the same cautions as the FLOJET (manufacturer's) instructions. Somehow I think if the same warning was included, the Tilton company wouldn't sell many for trans cooling purposes.

The FLOJET instructions provide:

"Use plastic fittings at the pump port. (Metal) fittings will break pump housing if overtightened. Do not install pump such that plumbing causes excessive stress on either port. (Italics in original.)

Possibly someone could advise as to which pump is included in the T1 GMPP kit. I'd bet its a more expensive model w/a metal housing allowing for the use of NPT threaded AN adapters.

Steve

Last edited by steve-d; 12-03-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve-d
Plastic fittings won't cut it as they are only barbed ends. NPT fittings won't cut it as the manufacturer warns against splitting failure.
What about using plastic NPT male to female adapters? Screw those into the pump housing and screw the 90-degree elbows into the plastic adapters.

If the plastic NPT male to female adapters prove to hard too find then use plastic NPT male threaded nipples which are easy to find but will require the use of different 90-degree elbows.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 PM
dmtnt
Safety Car

It has a plastic head where the NPT threaded AN fittings are inserted. The manufacturer specifically warns against the use of metal fittings and advises the only fittings appropriate are plastic.
I was very careful not to overtighten as I've dealt with plastic+metal before. First track event on them was this past Sunday and no leaks.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Possibly someone could advise as to which pump is included in the T1 GMPP kit. I'd bet its a more expensive model w/a metal housing allowing for the use of NPT threaded AN adapters.

Steve
The GMPP T-1 unit is a Weldon Pump, P/N 9200-A. They are out of Oakwood Village, OH. It is all metal.

Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 PM
steve-d
Instructor

Thanks much Bill. I'd forgotten the name of the high priced/high quality unit; and I couldn't find my Pegasus catalog. The Weldon pumps go for about $358 each from GMPP and about the same from Pegasus when they carried them.

Here's the GMPP link:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

I don't think the GMPP pump comes w/the bracket. If you just get the pump from GMPP, you'd probably have to order the pump bracket from them too. PN 12480118, $25. The Weldon PN for the clamp is apparently PN TC250-100

Here's the Weldon site:

http://www.weldonracing.com/9200a.html The description specifically references dash ports on the pump.

Steve
Old 12-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Slammed Vette
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

A little off subject,but how did you get the LG's mounted up the Corsa Ti. I have the Ti and want to do LG's,but was told wouldn't work.Any pics of the exhaust from under!!!! Would love to see it!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:23 AM
dmtnt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slammed Vette
A little off subject,but how did you get the LG's mounted up the Corsa Ti. I have the Ti and want to do LG's,but was told wouldn't work.Any pics of the exhaust from under!!!! Would love to see it!!!!
Custom H-pipe. See this thread -> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=893738

Here's a link to the diagram for the H-pipe -> http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Get notified of new replies

To Getting there (tranny/diff coolers)

Quick Reply: Getting there (tranny/diff coolers)