Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] tuning vs warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

Default tuning vs warranty

Would tuning my Z06 void my warranty. Only doing a intake with the tune?
Or would you just do the intake and forget the tune?
Need to make this decision by thursday. Bringing the car out to corrie simpson for a tune.He's highly recommended by some guys i meet at the friday car show in rolling meadows.
Tune runs 400 and he saved me some money on intake which was nice of him.Total package will be about 750 or so.
Worth it or not?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 AM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes, and Yes. Warranty is for people who keep their cars stock as per GM's new regulations. Kinda sucks but thats the way they want it. Thats probably the ONLY reason my car doesn't have a SINGLE mod on it.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by vdshenoy
Yes, and Yes. Warranty is for people who keep their cars stock as per GM's new regulations. Kinda sucks but thats the way they want it. Thats probably the ONLY reason my car doesn't have a SINGLE mod on it.
There is no problem with the intake but the tune will void your warranty if they find it during service. I was told by the service manager then can plug into your cars computer and it will show what ever you have done with the car. I put an intake on my car and got the check engine light because the oil got on the MFS. Took off the intake and brought the car in and they cleaned the MFS and knew what I had done but did nothing. I noticed nothing with the intake on and then sold it off.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

A tune will only void your warranty to the extent a failure was caused by the tune. Read the warranty. It talks about modifications and causation.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I noticed nothing with the intake on and then sold it off.
What kind of intake did you have?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Clay Assassin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
A tune will only void your warranty to the extent a failure was caused by the tune. Read the warranty. It talks about modifications and causation.
Lawdogg is correct, but he can fight GM for free (just his time).

Most of us will have to hope the dealer is nice, or lawyer up to force them to prove the mistake was not related to the part, which could cost as much as the part.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
BicketyBam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go again.

Just ask your dealer straight up - see what they say.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BicketyBam
Here we go again.

Just ask your dealer straight up - see what they say.
and then ignore them. If some really expensive engine problem crops up, the final judgment on what is covered under warranty or not is the GM zone rep. The handwriting is on the wall - they are not real keen on replacing engines on cars that have been tuned. IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK if you're looking for a few horsepower more. Of course, each to their own, and the fact that GM may nix a repair does not mean you can't go to arbitration or sue or whatever to push your case to another level.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
There is no problem with the intake but the tune will void your warranty if they find it during service. I was told by the service manager then can plug into your cars computer and it will show what ever you have done with the car.
Unfortunately, which is typical of many service departments spreading faulty info, you were given an "ambigiuous" (mis)interpretation of the facts.

It is true that the dealer has a way of determining if there is an aftermarket flash on the pcm via using a GM diagnostic tool (via a CVN check), but it can be a tedious process, and there has to be a good reason for them to even consider doing it (i.e. you're giving them "warranty hell", and you obviously abuse your car, and/or your dealer is just a dick). I do not yet know that if the factory flash is re-loaded back into the pcm, via the same method the aftermarket flash was, if the CVN comparison will show any differently, but I do plan on doing this soon to determine such.

There are some manufacturers that employ a counter based system of how many flashes have been performed, such as the '08 F-250 6.4 TT. However, in the case of a Ford, this hasn't been fully implemented yet, and I've been informed through my sources that the ability to modify the flash count has already been figured out.

No, I am not advocating warranty fraud, so spare me that drama. What it boils down to is simple: If the part didn't fail because of the tune, then your warranty really shouldn't be voided. The dealer isn't going to look for some incriminating evidence if they do not think you have anything to hide. Regardless, you should find a dealer that you can have a personal relationship with without fear. You can find them, too!

You can read more here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13504

Also here is this from GM:

#PIP4386: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations - (Apr 8, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations

Models: 2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

except Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Aveo, and All Saab Models

------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the
symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may have the need to verify engine calibrations. If a dealer feels an aftermarket power-up calibration has induced engine and/or drive train damage, there is now a way to verify what calibration is currently in the vehicle.
If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission,
transfer case, or driveline, perform the calibration verification described
to determine if a non GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non GM
issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses
different than those that these components were validated to. Repairs to
transmission, transfer case and / or other driveline components where a non GM engine calibration has been verified, are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Recommendation/Instructio ns:
Instructions for confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
• Go to TIS2WEB

• Select Calibration Information (SPS Info)

• Enter VIN

• Select "Get Cal ID"

• Select ECM Engine Control Module

• Hit "next"

• Select "Complete History"

• Print

Take Printout to Vehicle along with Tech II
• Plug in Tech II

• Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

• Select Powertrain

• Select the engine

• Select F0 - Engine Control Module

• Select F4/F5 - I/M information System / Module ID information*

• Select F1

• Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers
(CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* This step may vary by controller; use the Module ID Information in the
Engine Controls.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will
determine if the calibration is GM issued.

If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY calibration verification numbers (CVN's) do not match the printout, it is likely that a non GM certified calibration has been installed.

In order to document the case - a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of
the TECH 2 screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the
TIS2WEB printout. The picture and a PDF copy of the TIS2WEB printout should be forwarded to jay.dankovich@GM.com for verification along with the VIN and the reason the vehicle is currently in for service. Please copy your GM Area Service Manager (DVM/DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 48 hours.

If both the Part numbers and the CVN are different, photograph the part
numbers and CVN's on the tech 2 screen as described above, assuring the VIN shows clearly in the photograph of the TECH2 screen, and check to see if the vehicle has the latest released calibration. If the latest released calibration is not installed in the vehicle, the part numbers will not match, and the CVN's won't either. E- mail the original Part Numbers and CVN's found in the vehicle on the TECH 2 to: jay.dankovich@GM.com to check if the calibration and CVN matches a previous release. Recalibrate with the latest released cal and re-check against the part numbers and CVN's that are released.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete eachstep. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited by RWTD; 06-30-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vdshenoy
I disagree with this somewhat. I'm convinced that if you become friendly with a particular service advisor or the Corvette tech at your local dealership, you can get them to overlook simple bolt-on modifications when it comes to warranty work. I had all my modified Vettes in for warranty work, no questions asked, as long as I was honest with them about the car. I don't expect my situation to change regardless of GM's new guidelines.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you guys just get a spare ECU??

One with a tune on it, and keep your stock one in case you ever need to swap it back in? Now I don't know if you can just blow up your engine and slap in the stock one and tow it to a dealer....I think the fact that it's missing data prior to the failure might be suspicious??

I don't know...but a dead battery will also erase current data as well?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeez how many times has this subject been discussed now
Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.Might of just talked me out of the tune.Maybe just have it dynoed to see what she has.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know someone that has had their Z turned by a good tuner? If you could get a before (your car) and after ride (his car) you will never look back. A tune will wake these Z's up to where you think your driving Jack the Bear.

A good tuner with a good intake will make you a believer and a leaver at the light, the odds are in your favor nothing will ever happen to your engine.

These 427 aren't bullet proof, but with the exception of some of the 07's going through a batch of bad rocker arms you don't hear much else going wrong with them.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money. Not worth it for the small amount of HP increase. These aftermarket intake manufactures are laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skudlw
Save your money. Not worth it for the small amount of HP increase. These aftermarket intake manufactures are laughing all the way to the bank.
Tuning is definitely worth it on the Z06, especially for year-round consistency (see my link below). But I do know what you mean - kindof like this, huh?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1563231039

Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RWTD
I do not yet know that if the factory flash is re-loaded back into the pcm, via the same method the aftermarket flash was, if the CVN comparison will show any differently, but I do plan on doing this soon to determine such.
So you are going to place then remove a tune from a PCM and then use the dealer prescribed proceedure with a TechII to check the CVN and what not?????

If so please document this well.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To tuning vs warranty

Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So you are going to place then remove a tune from a PCM and then use the dealer prescribed proceedure with a TechII to check the CVN and what not?????

If so please document this well.

DH
Yes, that is correct. I do not know when I'll do this, but I'll post up when I do.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:20 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I think most of you are forgetting something in this equation. GM pays the dealers for fixing things that break during the warranty period. The dealer/service manager might like you but GM pays them for warranty work and they will not pay to fix your modded car out of their pocket. The dealers and GM are very aware of people doing modds to their Z06's and will void your power train warranty even if you bring the car in for a basic service and they find the tune. For those who say that you will feel the tune and it is worth it. If you can feel the tune so can the tech and service manager, they drive lots of Z06's and you only drive one.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Clay Assassin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guy on the forum here blew his engine driving it home from a track event.
Probably just his bad luck. Maybe he made a mistake on a shift.
Nobody knows.

It was a brand new '08Z with a couple thousand miles on it.
First thing the dealer did was check for a tune. If he had a tune, he was done. The engine was coming from his wallet. The car was stock, so the dealer it was towed to replaced it.

I'm already replacing a C5 engine on my dime with a forged one at a price of ~8k because of a popped piston. If my '08Z blew on my dime, I would be paying for it for a year.
I'm not interested in gambling that kind of money that GM wont have a problem on my car due to some freak episode. If you have the money to gamble, go for it. If your like me and cant affordt to replace the engine on your dime, better to be safe.

I'd love to tune my car. Just not worth the risk.

Swapping the ECM out might save you, but if something goes wrong and you get caught, now your guilty of fraud, hoping GM doesnt decide to set an example of you. That engine will look cheap then.

Quick Reply: [Z06] tuning vs warranty