C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

On the Road Again (Gas Smell Part II) - with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 AM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default On the Road Again (Gas Smell Part II) - with Pictures

Well, it's taken quite some time, and I've discovered a few things about the car during the process (my vol 2 NA restoration book arrived yesterday...), but for now I'm back on the road again!

After my first serious drive with the car I found myself to be the proud owner of a new fuel leak at the tank. This was compounded by some junk getting into the carb, resulting in my first carb rebuild in about 20 years. When I got the car up on stands to pull the tank I unearthed some frame rust issues, and began the soul searching and debate about the car's future.

While in a fairly serious funk about the car, I'd just bought it a few months earlier, I decided to try some retail therapy and put in an order for some goodies. While the stock-pile of bits and pieces that were to be my original winter project trickled in, I started to pick away at fixing my leak. As it's mostly original, and I'm planning on a visit to the NCRS, I decided to repair my original tank instead of replacing it.

Let me say, getting this tank out was not fun, and putting it back in was no picknic either. I'm guessing most folks do this job when the body is off, and having sidepipes would have eliminated the squeeze past the mufflers... Anyhow, this is how it went:

Fuel Leak at Tank:

Tank Out:

Markings Under Body by Fuel Filler:

The Cavity:

Main Damage Exposed:

Weld in Progress:

Tank Cleaned Up:

Interior View of POR-15 Tank Sealer:

Tank Painted:

Back in Place:

Ready for Fuel:

And it held fuel and fired up after 3 months without incident. Which is a really good thing, 'cause I probably would have lost it if it hadn't.

While the repair was going on, I had applied for and recieved Collector status for the car, which allowed me to get strict pleasure use only insurance for cheap. And with the addition of a space heater and auxilliary lighting to turn winter into late fall inside the garage, I made a push to get the Beast back together in time for a visit by the in-laws.

I also have my 40th coming up and I was Damned if the car was not going to be on the road for that. And so even though it was pouring rain, dark, and on the verge of snow I took it out for a shakedown run:

The Beast Awakens:

Local Traffic:

Midway Through Shakedown:

Safe Sound and Wet:

So, while the debate continues about restoration or resto-modding, I can get out on the road and try to remind myself why I'm doing all this work anyways...

Last edited by darguy; 01-12-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Bill
Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll second Bill's , and here's an extra 2 for driving it in the rain.

Oddly, I get a lot of joy out of driving my 65 in the rain - it's a real car when I'm driving it in the rain, something my 62 will never do.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 AM
TopLess62
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTFG!! Nice work on the tank!! How did you make it look so purty??? I am doing my tank now. No leaks but lots of gunk to clean out. Advice please???
Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TopLess62
WTFG!! Nice work on the tank!! How did you make it look so purty??? I am doing my tank now. No leaks but lots of gunk to clean out. Advice please???
buy a new one
Old 01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
TopLess62
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
buy a new one
Us cheap f$%$%ers have to "restore" our junk 'cause we can't afford new stuff!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Us cheap f$%$%ers have to "restore" our junk 'cause we can't afford new stuff!!!
you cant afaord about $150. and this is more of a safty thing anything else.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 AM
TopLess62
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
you cant afaord about $150. and this is more of a safty thing anything else.
A new repop tank is about $220. My tank is fine, just dirty. No leaks or anything so I think it will be ok.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Salvage

I like trying to repair or restore anything I can. Your tank looks great.
Greg
Old 01-12-2008, 02:30 PM
darguy
Drifting

Thanks, eh. It took quite some time to get it to that state, probably 10 hours on the tank not including the re & re. Which was, with all the frozen bolts and whatnot, getting close to another 10 by the time the exhaust was re-routed through the body and all. And in the end the spot where I welded it did not come out as pristine as I'd like.

I used a small circular sander tool with a course-ish pad on it to strip the rust away from the tank, as well as a bunch of time in the parts cleaner scraping away the black paint some other Bubba put on it. Then welded up the big holes. A water leak test which revealed small seepages through the weld led to a layer of braizing to fill in the gaps, followed by some shaping with a file.

The inside of the tank, which was fairly clean, was treated to a 2 stage cleaning, thorough wrinsing, and chemical metal prep prior to the sealer statge. It all came in a kit from POR-15 through Corvette Central. The sealer is pretty intense, I got a drop of it on my arm and it gave me quite the burn. That was all followed up with zinc tank paint. After the 4-day curing period, I leak tested the tank with gas before installing it.

The sealer kit was about $60 and two cans of zinc paint were $26, so it was cheaper than a no-logo replacement tank ($200), but factor in all the hours plus the tank installation kit, new strainer and fuel lines (another $70 odd bucks) and a no-logo tank and install kit is starting to look pretty good. If I were to replace the tank, I would have gone with a 'correct' tank wth stampings (which are around $375 or so) for the NCRS visit (possible Bowtie eligability). But, as I haven't decided which way to go with the car I figured I should work with what I've got for now and worry about a new tank later.

If you've got the time to spend, a thorough cleaning may be the way to go. But, if I knew which way I was going to ultimately go (restored or rodded) I would have spent my time elsewhere and put my money into a new tank.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's great to be rolling again!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

A new repop tank is about $220. My tank is fine, just dirty. No leaks or anything so I think it will be ok.
Well if the logo on the tank does not matter to you...then the tank can be had for $$147.77 from Advanced Auto (aka Partsamerica.com).
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Very nice work! Looks great!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 PM
TopLess62
Drifting

Originally Posted by al329
Well if the logo on the tank does not matter to you...then the tank can be had for $$147.77 from Advanced Auto (aka Partsamerica.com).
I went to the site just for poops and giggles to check it out and the tank for my car is $447.99. I think I will stick with my perfectly fine used tank.

And since you can't see it when its in car - even from underneath, I am not even going to paint it. I just cleaned the gunk off of it and when my new minor parts get here, its going back in the car!!

Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

darguy, one thing to be aware of. Here in the States many of us are forced to use Ethanol @10% mixed with gasoline. If you have Ethanol mix check your Tank periodically with a Focus on seeing Clear Fuel! Ethanol breaksdown some Tank Coatings and contaminates your entire Fuel System. Al W.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
darguy, one thing to be aware of. Here in the States many of us are forced to use Ethanol @10% mixed with gasoline. If you have Ethanol mix check your Tank periodically with a Focus on seeing Clear Fuel! Ethanol breaksdown some Tank Coatings and contaminates your entire Fuel System. Al W.
Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up. I'm usually north of the 49th and I think most of the fuel here doesn't have ethanol blended in it, but I'll keep an eye on it when I come visiting.

Which will probably be down to Bend, OR in September for the NCRS event. I'm really looking forward to that road trip...

Get notified of new replies

To On the Road Again (Gas Smell Part II) - with Pictures

Quick Reply: On the Road Again (Gas Smell Part II) - with Pictures