C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone who has dropped a LS1 into their C2 step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Justin-Sane
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone who has dropped a LS1 into their C2 step inside...

i'm currently helping my dad drop a ls1 into his '64 stingray. just curious to see what some of you have done for headers. he wants to keep the side pipes on the car. Do you just have to custom make headers of is there a place that sells them prebulit?

also, where did you all get your engine and tranny mounts? were also putting in the 4l60e transmission.

thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For this purpose the C-2 has the same chassis as the C-3. A lot of the C-3 guys have made the LS swap. Suggest you also post over there...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

There's a "sticky" thread in C3 Tech that might be quite helpful.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

The LS engines are pretty much a drop-in affair. You do the motor mounts by using a set of adapter plates that allow you to use the stock motor mounts, and they will allow the stock trans mount to hit at the right place as well. There are a number of places that sell them pre-made, just search the web. Try LS1 tech forum for reccomendations where to buy them. I always make my own out of 3/8" plate aluminum, and if you want to make your own set, drop me a PM, and I will dig out the drawings and send you a copy. Street and Performance sells them, but they are one of the most expensive sets. You will find these guys have an answer to almost every LSX fitment issue that you can come up with.

The only people I know that make a LS1 header setup for factory sidepipes is Stainless Works. Their headers are full stainless headers and are beautiful headers, but they ain't cheap!

There are several other things that must be done to use the LS engine in the midyear. The tank has to be modified, or a new tank has to be bought to allow a return line to the tank from the high pressure fuel pump that must be added. These engines operate at about 60 PSI fuel pressure. I personally like to just replace the tank with a unit that is made with an internal pump and sump that keeps the pump under fuel at all times. Once again, these tanks are not cheap, but they save a lot of headaches in the future, and they do away with the bottom-mounted sender that midyear tanks used.

The 4L60E trans is a tight fit, and you may have to space the body up about a slight amount to clear the tunnell. You can buy a shifter conversion from Shift Works that will convert the stock PG shifter to work with the new trans. Keep in mind when putting the 4L60E trans in, that the trans has a 3.06 first gear, so you don't need a deep rear gear with this deep a first gear. A gear in the 3.55 area is about a deep as you should use. This roughly the same as putting 5.00 gears behind a Muncie! This trans also has a .7 overdrive which will practially idle down the road at 50 mph. You will also need to add a 2 pole brake light switch to tell the torque converter to unlock when you hit the brakes.

You will need a engine harness and computer that has had the functions that you are not using edited out (like the anti-theft system, and the rear set of O2 sensors.) There are several good vendors for these including Speartech, Painless, and Street and Performance.
There will be lots of little things, but the swap has been done may times, and there is lots of support in the aftermarket for these swaps.

Here is a link to a set of inexpensive motor mount adapter plates:
http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...id/74328/LS1GM

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

well S-friggin-S, the right guy just showed up

I like the part where John says "but I personally like to machine my own adapter plates" - vintage John McGraw!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 AM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Try this web site...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Just did this conversion in my 67 Chevy II (needed something with room for grandchildren, albeit I have had 5 people in my 67 Vette:-O)
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Pete,

I have been looking for a multi-passenger car to build as well. I am on the lookout for a 67 Chevelle wagon to resto-mod. I am thinking of a
LS2 engine, C4 rear suspension, and C5 front suspension. I love those 66-67 Chevy II cars!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the family I want to resto-mod one of these:

1960 Cadillac Mod 62 (entry level Caddy)

Last edited by Islander21; 01-03-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Justin-Sane
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good info and links guys. thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Great thread!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 65 Coupe done with a LS2, Street Shops Chassis, Tremec 5 speed and so on. The guy that did it posted much of the process and issues that came up - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723

We worked with CF members including John McGraw on thnings that came up. The guy who did mine also has a web site with a list of all the parts and suppliers he used - http://mysite.verizon.net/coltmckinney/id4.html

He also just finished a 61 with a similar treatment - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1781661

Other CF members have also posted their projects which is a great resource of information and most are always looking to help with information. Good Luck on your project !

Tim
Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 65 Coupe done with a LS2, Street Shops Chassis, Tremec 5 speed and so on. The guy that did it posted much of the process and issues that came up - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723

We worked with CF members including John McGraw on thnings that came up. The guy who did mine also has a web site with a list of all the parts and suppliers he used - http://mysite.verizon.net/coltmckinney/id4.html

He also just finished a 61 with a similar treatment - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1781661

Other CF members have also posted their projects which is a great resource of information and most are always looking to help with information. Good Luck on your project !

Tim
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

islander,

I've always preferred the '60 Caddy to the '59. Much nicer tail lights!

I once spassed a young man on the freeeway who was driving a white '60 hardtop. He had the greatest license frame:

THANKS FOR THE CAR, COLONEL PARKER!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Islander21
For the family I want to resto-mod one of these:

1960 Cadillac Mod 62 (entry level Caddy)
That's just freakin' awesome.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Stainless Works headers with my C3 conversion. I also use an SRIII chassis but Stainless Works will modify them however you need them if you want them too. They also custom made the sidepipes for me but the collectors from the heads should easily be able to be routed to a stock style sidepipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone who has dropped a LS1 into their C2 step inside...

Quick Reply: Anyone who has dropped a LS1 into their C2 step inside...