C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z06 Torque Management (TM) Thresholds

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thanks for the screen shots, Joe_G.

Suspect you'll have some fun with HP Tuners, especially if you can do live data collect while making acceleration runs, wherever that may be.

Trying to find the techniques that give max acceleration in any Corvette platform is a challenge. Some guys do that via mods; my path is modding only the driver.

Ranger
Happy to help, you certainly help enough people on this board!!

I don't see anything on these screens that will help "drive around" the TM, but if I discover something meaningful during my playing with the software I will let you know.

THE FOLLOWING COMMENT MADE AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT:

Do you think the existence of this information in HP Tuners "proves" TM exists for manuals?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
...Do you think the existence of this information in HP Tuners "proves" TM exists for manuals?
We need to be careful, lest those folks will revisit this thread, littering it once again with....Ahh, don't want to start up again.

Ranger
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
We need to be careful, lest those folks will revisit this thread, littering it once again with....Ahh, don't want to start up again.

Ranger
go ahead.. i'm just watching. not talking. i've been participating in the TM is History thread, so this one is simply informational.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
checkmate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally bought HP Tuners, and here's a screen shot of the seemingly more important TM parameters you can change on a C6 M6. Unfortunately I don't know what the C6Z06 thresholds are, but perhaps this will be of interest to you anyway.

It looks like the whole thing can be disabled with two clicks to disable Spark and ETC, but I know that's not your goal, you want to drive around it.

Can you send me that file?
I'm not seeing those option in the file I have.

chess427@msn.com
Thanks,
Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by checkmate
Can you send me that file?
I'm not seeing those option in the file I have.

chess427@msn.com
Thanks,
It's the latest 2.1.14 version of the software that I downloaded from the HP Tuners website this morning. The older version, 2.1.12 that shipped with the scanner, did not work on my 05 at all. It said invalid VIN/OS so maybe this is something new?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 AM
checkmate
Instructor

It's the latest 2.1.14 version of the software that I downloaded from the HP Tuners website this morning. The older version, 2.1.12 that shipped with the scanner, did not work on my 05 at all. It said invalid VIN/OS so maybe this is something new?
never mind, got it figured out, see my next post.

Last edited by checkmate; 10-20-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 AM
checkmate
Instructor

looks like the 05 vette file(06 Z06 file is the same) i have has a few more options than you do:

SO this is your answer, hell yes the ls2/ls7 c6's have TM. Anything below 3000rpm it's reducing power.

And...

This means that at 86F the PCM is pulling at least 2 degrees of timing, the PCM will blend so average 77 and 86F so at approx 70 Degrees F at the intake air temp the PCM will start pulling timing.
IAT is usually 20-30 Degrees F higher than the an ambient temp(outside air).

This shows you have a very narrow window between 170-198 Degrees F that the PCM will not screw with timing due coolant temp.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by checkmate; 10-20-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, this certainly does help. Note that the max torque tables make no distinction whether the tranny is an M6 or an A6.

I also noticed the statement on the screen that says if traction control is turned on, the PCM will use ETC to control traction. Is there a table where the ETC values can be modified? What does ETC stand for?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Checkmate - Is that a LS7/Z06 file? Mine is a LS2 file and you certainly do have more options on TM.

Great info on the IAT spark retard info too. That should help some folks - last night I saw someone linked to a $99 IAT adaptor to move it to cooler temps that would help folks who don't tune. I now can understand why my Vararam helped so much.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Yes, this certainly does help. Note that the max torque tables make no distinction whether the tranny is an M6 or an A6.

I also noticed the statement on the screen that says if traction control is turned on, the PCM will use ETC to control traction. Is there a table where the ETC values can be modified? What does ETC stand for?
I have tabs for Automatic Trans but there are no tables or choices there. I think the software just gives you the tables & choices that exist in your file.

ETC seems to be Electronic Throttle Control. There's a ETC TPS Max table on mine that allows adjustment. The help says "This is the Maximum allowed ETC throttle percent based on the current percentage of torque being delivered. The PCM uses this to limit the ETC opening rate to maintain traction.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
checkmate
Instructor

Checkmate - Is that a LS7/Z06 file? Mine is a LS2 file and you certainly do have more options on TM.

Great info on the IAT spark retard info too. That should help some folks - last night I saw someone linked to a $99 IAT adaptor to move it to cooler temps that would help folks who don't tune. I now can understand why my Vararam helped so much.

I verified the vin number in the file and it is a 2006 Z06.

I'd rather alter the PCM so I know what is going on, rather then use an adaptor to fool the computer.

I have tabs for Automatic Trans but there are no tables or choices there. I think the software just gives you the tables & choices that exist in your file.

ETC seems to be Electronic Throttle Control. There's a ETC TPS Max table on mine that allows adjustment. The help says "This is the Maximum allowed ETC throttle percent based on the current percentage of torque being delivered. The PCM uses this to limit the ETC opening rate to maintain traction.
You are correct, what is available is shown in the file.
ect is electronic throttle control.

I can screen shot the whole torque management section if you guys want me to, I can also send this file to anyone that would like it.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the ETC explanation.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Checkmate (or other savvy tuners) - There's a ETC TPS Max table on mine that allows adjustment. The help says "This is the Maximum allowed ETC throttle percent based on the current percentage of torque being delivered. The PCM uses this to limit the ETC opening rate to maintain traction".

To reduce TM, should one increase the numbers closer to 100 or reduce them? The help text can be read two ways. I don't plan to touch this but I am curious.

Here's a screen shot:

Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 AM
checkmate
Instructor

Hey Checkmate (or other savvy tuners) - There's a ETC TPS Max table on mine that allows adjustment. The help says "This is the Maximum allowed ETC throttle percent based on the current percentage of torque being delivered. The PCM uses this to limit the ETC opening rate to maintain traction".

To reduce TM, should one increase the numbers closer to 100 or reduce them? The help text can be read two ways. I don't plan to touch this but I am curious.

Here's a screen shot:

That is 2005 PCM's only, most GM vehicles for 2006 use the E38/E67 ECM's. Things are a lot different and I don't mean that in a good way.

I'd set the whole table to 100% to completely get rid of TM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

That is 2005 PCM's only, most GM vehicles for 2006 use the E38/E67 ECM's. Things are a lot different and I don't mean that in a good way.

I'd set the whole table to 100% to completely get rid of TM.
Thanks for the advice - I could read the help instructions both ways and was afraid 100% would basically disable my throttle! Or make it very slow.

I'm waiting for Mike Norris to port my tune from LS2 Edit to HP Tuners, I'll let him fix it for me. I just had to do a little self tuning to get rid of the 5800 rev limiter in 2nd gear only (seems to only affect those of us with 390/410 gears - I posted a separate thread on this). I had a track event Saturday and wanted to get a clean run. I got it, but with stock fueling which means I was very rich and down about 2-3 mph from where I think I should be.

On that note, is there any problem flashing a computer multiple times? I like having the fan come on really early on track days, but around town the noise of constant fan is annoying and really draws a lot of amps I noticed. Can't be good for fan and alternator life long term. So I was considering having a track tune and a street tune but don't want to flash the computer too often if that is a problem.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 AM
checkmate
Instructor

Thanks for the advice - I could read the help instructions both ways and was afraid 100% would basically disable my throttle! Or make it very slow.

I'm waiting for Mike Norris to port my tune from LS2 Edit to HP Tuners, I'll let him fix it for me. I just had to do a little self tuning to get rid of the 5800 rev limiter in 2nd gear only (seems to only affect those of us with 390/410 gears - I posted a separate thread on this). I had a track event Saturday and wanted to get a clean run. I got it, but with stock fueling which means I was very rich and down about 2-3 mph from where I think I should be.

On that note, is there any problem flashing a computer multiple times? I like having the fan come on really early on track days, but around town the noise of constant fan is annoying and really draws a lot of amps I noticed. Can't be good for fan and alternator life long term. So I was considering having a track tune and a street tune but don't want to flash the computer too often if that is a problem.
100% will completely disable TM, one the HPTuners owners even suggested this.

Did you adjust your gear size in the computer?

I had an 01 camaro ss with a big cam, when I was adjusting the fuel/idle initially I reflashed the pcm 20-30 times in one day. Total of 100-200 times(maybe even more, this is just a guess) in 4-5 months and I had no issues. Track days I was reflashing after every run.
Just make sure your battery is reading 11-12 volts before you do a write and you will be fine.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

100% will completely disable TM, one the HPTuners owners even suggested this.

Did you adjust your gear size in the computer?

I had an 01 camaro ss with a big cam, when I was adjusting the fuel/idle initially I reflashed the pcm 20-30 times in one day. Total of 100-200 times(maybe even more, this is just a guess) in 4-5 months and I had no issues. Track days I was reflashing after every run.
Just make sure your battery is reading 11-12 volts before you do a write and you will be fine.
Thanks Checkmate! That's great advice.

I didn't adjust gear size for my 2nd gear only rev limiter - here's the fix that works, Nicodemus figured this out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1525166

Do you think I should adjust for the gear? The speedometer & odometer work great. The fuel mileage on the DIC isn't accurate anymore. I see I could adjust the 1.0 "Final Drive Ratio", I guess to 1.14 since 3:90's are 14% higher than 3.42's (or is that .86? I get confused). I didn't think you had to adjust for gears with a manual but would like your advice.

While you're at it, any hints on how to get rid of the rich factory stock WOT tuning? Shoot, if I knew that, I'd be a tuner!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
checkmate
Instructor

Thanks Checkmate! That's great advice.

I didn't adjust gear size for my 2nd gear only rev limiter - here's the fix that works, Nicodemus figured this out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1525166

Do you think I should adjust for the gear? The speedometer & odometer work great. The fuel mileage on the DIC isn't accurate anymore. I see I could adjust the 1.0 "Final Drive Ratio", I guess to 1.14 since 3:90's are 14% higher than 3.42's (or is that .86? I get confused). I didn't think you had to adjust for gears with a manual but would like your advice.

While you're at it, any hints on how to get rid of the rich factory stock WOT tuning? Shoot, if I knew that, I'd be a tuner!
Sending you a PM, we have hijacked Ranger's thread enough.
Sorry.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Torque Management (TM) Thresholds