CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/399052-does-your-factory-alarm-work-or-not-work-just-curious.html)

virtue4u 09-28-2002 11:48 PM

Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious.

I'm only interested in a factory alarm poll, not aftermarket (although aftermarket is probably better).

HawkIVette 09-29-2002 12:28 AM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (virtue4u)

Count me for Doesn't work. It did, up until the paint job last year. I just haven't had the time to check out the switches, but when we reassembled to doors and hood, we must have screwed up a switch or two. Hasn't worked since.

Kevin_73 09-29-2002 01:14 AM

The alarm wires were disconnected from the key switch above the liscense plate when I bought my car (and I didn't have a key for it anyway). I removed the key cylinder, dismantled the switch and cleaned the contacts and took the cylinder to a locksmith to have a key made for it. Re-installed everything and hooked it up and it has worked perfectly ever since. :cheers:

RoyArms 09-29-2002 01:24 AM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (Kevin_73)

Everything in mine works except the horn :rolleyes: I already replaced it once to fix it before! :crazy: I have big hands and its hard to get at the thing, guess I will be doing it again soon tho :smash:

76Pitter 09-29-2002 03:43 AM

This is my second C3 and both of them have had the same problem. You turn the key for the alarm and it sounds right away. Nature of the beast I guess. I really can't be bothered with it. It's just one extra door-lock in the wrong place as far as I'm concerned. Aftermarket alarms are much better. One thing is for sure. Anyone who still has a working alarm system won't for long.

[Modified by 76Pitter, 2:44 AM 9/29/2002]

BSeery 09-29-2002 04:05 AM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (76Pitter)

This is my second C3 and both of them have had the same problem. You turn the key for the alarm and it sounds right away. Nature of the beast I guess. I really can't be bothered with it. It's just one extra door-lock in the wrong place as far as I'm concerned. Aftermarket alarms are much better. One thing is for sure. Anyone who still has a working alarm system won't for long.

[Modified by 76Pitter, 2:44 AM 9/29/2002]
Mine did that too. I found the problem to be the pin switches for the T-Tops. At the back of the t-top is a pin that comes out when you lock them into place. That pin is supposed to depress a switch in the car. My t-top pins were not coming out far enought to press the pins.

After a quick adjustment on both sides, the alarm works perfectly now.

Good luck.

BSeery 09-29-2002 04:06 AM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (BSeery)

Oh, and on mine it's not a seperate door lock. On the 1980's it's built into the drivers side door lock. Locking from the outside activates the alarm, and unlocking from there turns it off.

It is a pain in the butt when you unlock the passenger side first for the ladies and the alarm goes off. :eek:

TNT 09-29-2002 10:24 AM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (BSeery)

I only voted once but both of my cars, the 69-70 UA6 alarms work! Thad

Paul L 09-29-2002 10:55 AM

Yes mine still works. I have a choice between the alarm or this....

https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/pa...onnect_006.jpg

drspeedy 09-29-2002 02:16 PM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (paul79)

Mine works... it won't shut off, but it works. Good thing the door locks from the inside!

-doc

Rogue Wave 09-29-2002 02:23 PM

My factory alarms works, but I never use it.

I put in a modern day alarm system. A tad kinder and gentler on the battery. Also, I put electric doorlocks on the car and now have a keyless entry / alarm system. :cheers:

joeveto 09-29-2002 03:35 PM

I almost wish it didn't work, as it's worthless.

I hate opening the car, only to have the damn thing go off on me. Then everyone around looks at me as if to say "look at that douchebag and his Vette with the crappy alarm going off" while I scramble to turn it off.

rpounds 09-29-2002 05:09 PM

Mine works on my '75, such as it is. That squeaky little horn wouldn't even scare off the cat . . .

tangee-vette 09-29-2002 05:17 PM

Didn't work when I made the purchase of the Vette in 99'...fixed the passenger door switch right away and been working perfectly ever since. I'm not worried about battery run down when I use it. When I'm out and about I never leave it unattended long enough for that to happen. :D

Pete Z 09-29-2002 05:37 PM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (tangee-vette)

Mine doesn't work.
Looks like Bubba cutted some wires,but I haven't got the time to look into it.
Most likely I never will..... :rolleyes:

81vette 09-29-2002 06:25 PM

Doesn't work anymore. Took it out. :D

Mark

rscucan 09-29-2002 10:04 PM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (Rich's75)

sometimes

FinnShark 09-30-2002 05:56 AM

Mine works. Even though I haven't used it much...

73 LS-4 09-30-2002 12:09 PM

Mine all works except for the drivers side door switch, the switch is stuck in.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Sleestak 09-30-2002 01:46 PM

Re: Does your factory alarm work or not work? Just curious. (73 LS-4)

Mine doesn't work. I have plans on turning the switch into an ignition cutoff sometime in the future.