CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Extreme Oil Leak!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3433220-extreme-oil-leak.html)

gthal 03-11-2014 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1586381074)
Well stated and true. He tries to blows smoke up everybody's azz as he triesto come off as a resident "expert", and sadly many unknowing CF members will believe him! :ack: That is sad.

That's why you can't believe most of what you read on the internet... inccorrect information, purposefully misleading info, personal agendas, bias, trolling, etc. Take everything with a grain of salt and a dose of skepticism. :thumbs:

NSC5 03-11-2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1586381074)
Well stated and true. He tries to blows smoke up everybody's azz as he triesto come off as a resident "expert", and sadly many unknowing CF members will believe him! :ack: That is sad.

I agree Jack and Snorman and it isn't looking any better for the future. My experience with university business seniors is now in the age of the internet they are far less equipped to gauge source credibility than previous groups who were pretty well schooled in understanding the difference between high level journals, popular press, and pure BS. For many a pretty web page and interesting thought equals truth and fact.

Our moderators do a good job in a very tough environment and I salute them because I wouldn't have the patience to put up with a lot of the crap. In the meantime I just make good use of the ignore feature.

hawkgfr 03-11-2014 10:20 PM

rich grown men whining on the internet...

Life is short but if you must, it resembles this.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...kgfr/tears.gif

GOLD72 03-12-2014 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1586380798)
Congratulations as that could be great news all things considering. I've spun on a few filters and the only ones I've ever seen leak were deformed. I guess it is possible for the filter to be almost loose to where the higher pressure could void the rubber seal, but if the filter seal is good that it was tight that baby didn't leak or it would have still been leaking.imo...........

:iagree: I have been spinning on oil filters for over 45 years and never had one leak on me that I installed. I did have a Quick Lube dept at a dealership fail to tighten the filter adequately on two separate occasions only to have the gasket start leaking in 2 or 3 weeks when thermal cycling loosened it enough to leak. I got 5 free changes with the car purchase. Been leery of those free changes ever since. Then I have seen filters installed at the assembly plant so tight that a gorilla must have done it. :ack:

nh_mark 03-12-2014 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mecholova (Post 1586378793)
I don't hate Skids, I pitty him really.
Claims to make 285 an hour, has a great MB, is doing so well he can gift MBs to friends but the only thing that makes him feel good is to hang out online and sling $ hit at other peoples new cars.
Hope you find some peace and happiness someday Joe

:iagree:

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 08:16 AM

It seems that many here are violating the rules of the CF forum on a daily basis.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...conflicts.html

Amazing how some will rat on someone that goes against their grain but will allow constant disregard of rules with their buddies.

Higgs Boson 03-12-2014 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586383371)
Amazing how some will rat on someone that goes against their grain but will allow constant disregard of rules with their buddies.

Does it really amaze you? Compare it to regular everyday life, work life, politics, etc and you will see it is no different.

Tommy D 03-12-2014 08:29 AM

It seems that many here are violating the rules of the CF forum on a daily basis.

Last time I checked a forum was a place to exchange ideas.It seems that we have lost the art of allowing someone to have a different opinion than our own.

Oh & btw I am one of those old guys you know the type..... forgot more stuff than most of you younger guys will ever know :lol: :lol::lol:

off soak box & on with the bickering

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 08:33 AM

Good point Higgs. It just seems like there is a double standard, but I guess like you said just as in life.

Tommy you nailed it. Nothing like a good old fashioned debate, until the gang mentality sets in b/c they dislike the direction of the topic.

ATX-C7 03-12-2014 08:33 AM

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...psf45e6cd9.jpg

gthal 03-12-2014 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586383461)
...Nothing like a good old fashioned debate, until the gang mentality sets in b/c they dislike the direction of the topic.

I think this comment ignores the real issue Dan. Maybe I'm way out to lunch on this but, in my view, this isn't a gang mentality thing. It isn't a real debate either. The issue is, in my view, that some people are making broad brushed claims (or, at least, insinuating) that there are issues with the car based on a single event (or some isolated events). Furthermore, there is a history of making unsubstantiated, broad brushed criticisms from the same small group of members over a long period of time. When challenged, the challenges are avoided, talked around in circles and not really addressed... hence no real debate and a feeling by many that some are here to promote a personal agenda and "troll." Whether that is true or not is another discussion all together... it may not be true but it sure looks like it to many.

So, in my view, it isn't that people dislike the direction of the discussion as much as it is the frustration felt by many people regarding how certain members choose to bash without real evidence, are continuously critical and then ignore or deflect any evidence or requests to back up their comments. These people then pull the "kool-aid" card as some sort of justification why everyone else has it wrong and are blinded to the truth. Well, the truth is that there is no kool-aid issue but, IMO, the real issue is that some people have an agenda or dislike for the car and can't let it go. But, that's just my own position based on my personal bias and I recognize that (although I'm right :D).

If you think about it, this thread should have been about discussing and helping the OP deal with their specific issue on their specific car. Instead, it was turned into a broad "C7 fail" discussion... that is far beyond the scope of the issue at hand, a very premature and completely unsubstantiated conclusion, and something that happens far too often here and often started by the same people... which is the source of the frustration IMO.

Having said that, both sides of the "debate" could absolutely be better at keeping it less personal.

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 10:15 AM

I don't want to respond with a long winded dialogue Heath but I will say the whole data concept is pure nonsense, to have real data you'd have to interview every single owner and that's impossible.

You mention how topics get off base, well the fellow that wrote up that fantastic write up about his VIR experience basically quit b/c of a few comments even though they may have been misconstrued and some apologies were offered.

You are right in that we can all do a better job of interacting and everyone needs to remember that all opinions are always going to be agreed upon.

Snorman 03-12-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1586383560)
The issue is, in my view, that some people are making broad brushed claims (or, at least, insinuating) that there are issues with the car based on a single event (or some isolated events). Furthermore, there is a history of making unsubstantiated, broad brushed criticisms from the same small group of members over a long period of time. When challenged, the challenges are avoided, talked around in circles and not really addressed... hence no real debate and a feeling by many that some are here to promote a personal agenda and "troll." Whether that is true or not is another discussion all together... it may not be true but it sure looks like it to many.

Bingo. Post #196 perfectly illustrates Skid's ongoing attempt to mislead people who are genuinely asking for info based on a single video in which he clearly doesn't even understand what a flashing light in the instrument cluster represents.
This is in addition to his constant attempts to insult actual C7 owners for paying MSRP and buying first-year cars.

He brings nothing, nada, zilch to this section. And he's not alone.
S.

droideka 03-12-2014 10:35 AM

JFC! can we all STFU and move on?

i love the fast-paced discussions, overload of relevant/pertinent info and active participation at CF (much greater than the other C7 boards), but GTFO with everyone acting like See You Next Tuesdays every GD day.

jackhall99 03-12-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by droideka (Post 1586384431)

i love the fast-paced discussions, overload of relevant/pertinent info and active participation at CF (much greater than the other C7 boards), but GTFO with everyone acting like See You Next Tuesdays every GD day.

:rofl: :lolg:

Can you lace it with any more cussing acronyms? :crazy2:

You added nothing of value. :cheers:

JetMechZ16 03-12-2014 10:57 AM

I read about 7 pages of you all whining while a very few tried to offer advice. Grow up girls!

If the dealer gives you the car back with no resolution to the problem try and reproduce the events that lead up to it initially blowing oil. You want the same eng temps, oil temps, rate of acceleration etc. See if it will do it again, sooner rather than later. You want to find this out now, before you've had the car too long.

I'm guessing here as so many others have done, but I would suggest as a possibility that the oil is coming from the dipstic and over pressurization of the crankcase is the cause. If it does it again check to see if the dipstic is seated correctly. If not it could be related to the PCV system and the crankcase is not being vented properly, causing the dipstic to blow out of its seated position and taking a couple of quarts of oil with it.

Just a thought, hope you find your problem.

droideka 03-12-2014 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1586384577)
:rofl: :lolg:

Can you lace it with any more cussing acronyms? :crazy2:

You added nothing of value. :cheers:

and your value-add was what exactly? you missed the best one. perhaps there's a reason for that.

Woodson 03-12-2014 11:08 AM

See You Next Tuesdays

:rofl:

nh_mark 03-12-2014 11:10 AM

LOL

:rofl:

hope2 03-12-2014 11:23 AM

my money is on something dumb and simple like the oil fill cap, and dealer doesn't want to own up. whatever it was, it won't happen again, IMOP.

Slappy3243 03-12-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586384228)
I don't want to respond with a long winded dialogue Heath but I will say the whole data concept is pure nonsense, to have real data you'd have to interview every single owner and that's impossible.

You mention how topics get off base, well the fellow that wrote up that fantastic write up about his VIR experience basically quit b/c of a few comments even though they may have been misconstrued and some apologies were offered.

You are right in that we can all do a better job of interacting and everyone needs to remember that all opinions are always going to be agreed upon.

You don't need to interview every member to get data. Just like anything else, you need a big enough sample size to draw a conclusion from. Right now, there are not even enough C7's on the road to do so and they haven't been out long enough for problems to be reported to dealers in enough quantity to come to the conclusion whether a problem is prevalent or isolated in nature. So when people ask for data to back up these silly assertions that the C7 is just a bunch of fail, we are really asking, "how the heck can you come to that conclusion so early in the life of this vehicle?". Wait until a year after production and view the reports and look for trends. That is where the data comes from. I think that is what is frustrating to many of us.

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 12:39 PM

Slappy you have always seemed to be a level headed and fair guy so let me ask you a simple question.

For the same reason you just suggested regarding how can the C7 be determined a FAIL how in the hell can it be determined a SUCCESS?

Now if you are the fair guy I think you are than you'll say you can't and you won't go into some tangent that "all the mags say it is" or some other rant about how superior it is.

Just like you state frustration some of us realists feel that the car also cannot be deemed king of the hill after 6 months, am I right?

I do know this, on a daily basis the front page of the C7 section is loaded with thread topics of disgust by owners who are miffed with their cars, and that is a fact my friend!

hawkgfr 03-12-2014 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GOLD72 (Post 1586383279)
:iagree: I have been spinning on oil filters for over 45 years and never had one leak on me that I installed. I did have a Quick Lube dept at a dealership fail to tighten the filter adequately on two separate occasions only to have the gasket start leaking in 2 or 3 weeks when thermal cycling loosened it enough to leak. I got 5 free changes with the car purchase. Been leery of those free changes ever since. Then I have seen filters installed at the assembly plant so tight that a gorilla must have done it. :ack:

Yes that happens a lot as well. Its like the factory used a cheater bar on them to tighten.

Slappy3243 03-12-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586385567)
Slappy you have always seemed to be a level headed and fair guy so let me ask you a simple question.

For the same reason you just suggested regarding how can the C7 be determined a FAIL how in the hell can it be determined a SUCCESS?

Now if you are the fair guy I think you are than you'll say you can't and you won't go into some tangent that "all the mags say it is" or some other rant about how superior it is.

Just like you state frustration some of us realists feel that the car also cannot be deemed king of the hill after 6 months, am I right?

I do know this, on a daily basis the front page of the C7 section is loaded with thread topics of disgust by owners who are miffed with their cars, and that is a fact my friend!

I am taking the stance that none of us know the extent of the problems regarding the C7 at this point so, really, no assertions should be made either way. However, this is a C7 forum after all and some of us grow tired with a guy who is just constantly berating the car every chance he gets when he has no affiliation with the car or interest in the car whatsoever. He is just here to cause trouble. That's what I have a problem with.

JustinStrife 03-12-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586385630)
I am taking the stance that none of us know the extent of the problems regarding the C7 at this point so, really, no assertions should be made either way. However, this is a C7 forum after all and some of us grow tired with a guy who is just constantly berating the car every chance he gets when he has no affiliation with the car or interest in the car whatsoever. He is just here to cause trouble. That's what I have a problem with.

:iagree::iagree:

hope2 03-12-2014 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1586385773)

Mecholova 03-12-2014 01:11 PM

Big Dan- There's a difference between someone who at the very least respects the brand and legacy behind the car and someone who just scans for issues with it and cackles at peoples problems.

You, drmustang and a few others who dislike some parts or maybe even all of the C7, still know how awesome vettes can be even if you're not into the current gen. You don't gleefully hope for the legacy to end.

There are people who post unfavorable opinions about the C7 whom I respect greatly. JoeC5 comes to mind. He is a living encyclopedia of car knowledge and has data to back his opinions. I may not agree with all he says but I respect its source and the poster.

SMJ just runs his mouth like Salacious Crumb with Suzie Ormans parrot up his butt skwacking "pennies make dollars" every time he farts. And when confronted with fact he turns to the "I know you are but what am I?" routine then starts posting compliments in the new delivery threads to try and balance his forum karma.

The first post I read of his was how much he disliked the NCM and for weeks , he went on a crusade to demean it calling it "The Shrine" and telling people its foolish to visit and plain stupid to R8C.

My point is, for me, I don't mind opinions or bad reviews by people but if he has no data, experience, intrest or respect for the car and just hanging around to bash it, what do you think his reasons are?

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 01:12 PM

If you are referring to me Slappy I have great interest in the C7, except it would be the Z when it comes out. In all fairness you wouldn't know that but in the interim the C7 is all we have to go by and even though the Z will have a different motor and other components let's face it, the car will share a lot of parts with the 7 and if the owners of the 7 keep posting problems it will make me think three times as to getting a Z, at least not a first year model anyway.

I guess it's just a coincidence that the thread with the most hits on the C7 forum is the sticky regarding problems and resolutions, I think not!

ATX-C7 03-12-2014 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by hope2 (Post 1586385801)

Originally Posted by Mecholova (Post 1586385818)

SMJ just runs his mouth like Salacious Crumb with Suzie Ormans parrot up his butt skwacking "pennies make dollars" every time he farts. And when confronted with fact he turns to the "I know you are but what am I?" routine then starts posting compliments in the new delivery threads to try and balance his forum karma.

The first post I read of his was how much he disliked the NCM and for weeks , he went on a crusade to demean it calling it "The Shrine" and telling people its foolish to visit and plain stupid to R8C.

:iagree: Hit the nail on the head.

jackhall99 03-12-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by droideka (Post 1586384679)
and your value-add was what exactly? ... .

I was trying to politely let a new person (you, a two day member whom nobody knows, e.g. a complete stranger), who jumped into the conversation rather late, know that it is quite rude to just tell all the other participants (most long-time Corvette members with a lot of knowledge) to shut the **** up. :ack:

I can't imagine you would do that in real life. Why do it here?

By the way, welcome to CF. :thumbs: :cheers:

70ZZ3 96LT4 03-12-2014 01:54 PM

New Corvette engine loss

In August 1970 I purchased my currently owned Corvette coupe that was on the showroom floor. Was told to come back next day to get my new 1970 Corvette.
Next day my new Corvette was seen in the workshop area before I went to the sales managers office to complete paper work. This was very near to closing time of the small new car dealership in Terrell, TX.
When the paperwork was done the dealership was closed and the sales manager and I walked out the door at the same time.
I was admiring my new Corvette sitting outside when the sales manager drove away.

Started up my new 1970, the air conditioning was blowing cold air and I quickly noticed there was no oil pressure indicated on the oil pressure gauge. Shut it off immediately. Opened the hood and checked the oil. The oil dipstick indicated full.
I was young, only 23, and decided the oil pressure gauge must be broke.
Drove a few blocks running fine and got on highway to Dallas.
Engine noise. Stopped car. Total run time estimate about 5 minutes from startup.
Walked to a service station and called owner of dealership. Briefed him on my experience with my new 1970 Corvette.
He told me to drive it to the service station and let them check the oil.
Did not make it to the service station before the engine came apart.
Never got my new car over 55 mph and low rpms with the turbo 400 automatic with 3:08 on my short initial drive.
Engine short block was changed out with a new GM 350 CE engine. 1970 Corvettes had a 50,000 mile and 5 year warranty on drive train.
If I had been smarter/more knowledgeable I would demanded another new Corvette.
The replacement engine had about 160,000 miles on it in my 1970 Corvette in 1992 and was running very good. I removed it only to install a new GM 350 ZZ crate engine. Still driving my 1970 and the original oil pressure gauge still shows good dependable oil pressure.

travisnd 03-12-2014 02:26 PM

Could you guys please stop the bickering in this thread? Nobody needs to post until OP has an update from the dealer as to what failed.

droideka 03-12-2014 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1586386081)
I was trying to politely let a new person (you, a two day member whom nobody knows, e.g. a complete stranger), who jumped into the conversation rather late, know that it is quite rude to just tell all the other participants (most long-time Corvette members with a lot of knowledge) to shut the **** up. :ack:

I can't imagine you would do that in real life. Why do it here?

By the way, welcome to CF. :thumbs: :cheers:

Jack (i assume your name is Jack), yes, i have been registered for mere days, but i have been lurking for months and have seen this "war" waging the entire time. i only registered as of late because the other C7 resources move painfully slow and are repositories of the same question day after day after day.

i'm here because i want to read about my new car that i will be taking delivery of in a few shorts weeks, to see pictures of ecstatic owners and their new babies, to learn about mods from those that have first-hand experience, to share in this excitement about the new corvette, a car that i have NEVER considered owning in the past and never thought i would. as a previous-gen owner, you probably don't understand how important this sharing and celebration is for us n00bs, for those of us that went from never seeing ourselves buying a corvette to, "OMG! MUST HAVE NEW CORVETTE!" it's a really BIG deal.

sharing knowledge is one thing, but sh*tting on people for the sake of simply being a jerkoff is another. as rich as the knowledge base is here, it is a shame that it is d-bag central a large portion of the time, hence my outburst.

btw, i appreciate the welcome.

regards,
brad

Mike Mercury 03-12-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586377021)
Dude, **** off. You joined here January of 2014, you didn't warn people of $#!+.

:thumbs:

:cheers:

jackhall99 03-12-2014 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by droideka (Post 1586386699)
Jack ... but i have been lurking for months and have seen this "war" waging the entire time.

... as a previous-gen owner, you probably don't understand how important this sharing and celebration is for us n00bs, for those of us that went from never seeing ourselves buying a corvette to, "OMG! MUST HAVE NEW CORVETTE!" it's a really BIG deal.

sharing knowledge is one thing, but sh*tting on people for the sake of simply being a jerkoff is another. as rich as the knowledge base is here, it is a shame that it is d-bag central a large portion of the time, hence my outburst.

btw, i appreciate the welcome.

regards,
brad

Brad, sadly the war existed when the C6 was introduced, and I expect it will be repeated when the C8 comes along.

Most of the CF members understand the importance of sharing knowledge, and we all agree with your comments about snarky comments. They are uncalled for. Sadly a few 'members' who don't own Corvettes like to diss our cars and the owners. That tends to upset many of us.:thumbs:

But as was stated in an earlier post, if those who "know" don't refute the incorrect opinions posted by those few who "don't know", new members and potential C7 owners will get the wrong idea about this Corvette and prior gen 'vettes. Thus the war of words which is unfortunate. It will pass in time. :flag: :cheers:

Jack

blkv3tt3 03-12-2014 03:35 PM

wow, :confused:this thread has gone off the rails...

slief 03-12-2014 03:40 PM

Actually, to say the front page is loaded with thread topics of disgust is complete fiction and the furthest thing from the truth. Absolute meaningless banter! I can't believe you would even post such complete and utter bull $#it!

rad928music 03-12-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586367584)
And my driveway has the most horrible oil stain I've ever seen. It dripped off from all over the underside of the car, not just the engine bay area.

Gonna have to clean that up!

Try Cat litter.
Use the Non clumping kind, and mush it in with your shoe.
Works great!

jackhall99 03-12-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by slief (Post 1586387144)
Actually, to say the front page is loaded with thread topics of disgust is complete fiction and the furthest thing from the truth. Absolute meaningless banter! I can't believe you would even post such complete and utter bull $#it!

I agree with this 100%. Not sure why Dan would ever post crap like he hid. :ack:

jackhall99 03-12-2014 03:49 PM

... I do know this, on a daily basis the front page of the C7 section is loaded with thread topics of disgust by owners who are miffed with their cars, and that is a fact my friend!

Why don't you take some time and post links to these threads Dan. If you know of so many on a daily basis are actually there, it should be a quick task for you. :D

Cruiter 03-12-2014 03:59 PM

Does anyone have anything to say that's still ON TOPIC? This started out as a good thread where some of us C7 'Owners' might glean some knowledge.

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 04:00 PM

I'd expect better from you Jack, slief on the other hand????????????

Slief how come you didn't quote me when I said the most viewed thread on the C7 page is the issues and reolutions thread?

To say the C7 section is not a revolving door of owner complains is what's complete and utter BULL$%IT! Door locks, infotainment, differentials, rattles, panel fitment, paint runs, engine issues, HVAC, heated seats, window indexing, console freezing, bluetooth, do I need to go on?

That is the truth, just admit that we all have Chevys and maybe it's as good as they can do.

gthal 03-12-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586387348)

Slief how come you didn't quote me when I said the most viewed thread on the C7 page is the issues and reolutions thread?

To say the C7 section is not a revolving door of owner complains is what's complete and utter BULL$%IT! Door locks, infotainment, differentials, rattles, panel fitment, paint runs, engine issues, HVAC, heated seats, window indexing, console freezing, bluetooth, do I need to go on?

That is the truth, just admit that we all have Chevys and maybe it's as good as they can do.

My view is you are exaggerating to suit your view... that's fine, and maybe I'm wrong, but it's how I see it. Spend some time of the MB forum and there is a fairly comparable level of "issues" threads and discussions. What you also need to acknowledge is that the very nature of a car forum is that people with an issue come here to discuss it and get help. Those without issues aren't posting every day that everything is great. Therefore, there is ALWAYS a bias in posting issues on ALL car forums. Therefore to ever conclude that it is more than that is complete and utter BULL$%IT!! (:thumbs:) The bottom line is you can't come to that conclusion any more than I can come to the conclusion that it is the most reliable car ever. The difference is I don't go around proclaiming that the C7 is the most reliable car ever but some members here DO, in fact, try to argue that it is a huge fail. They are just wrong to even conclude that based on the data available and the venue in which they get the data.

From now on, I'm going to proclaim the C7 to be the most reliable first year car ever made... who cares if that conclusion is right, based on fact, logical or even reasonable in the circumstance... others get to make ridiculous assertions to the opposite so why can't I? :lol:

slief 03-12-2014 04:23 PM

That is the truth, just admit that we all have Chevys and maybe it's as good as they can rdo.

I didn't quote that because that statement can't be disputed. There was however a lot of venom in that one statement and when I read it, I immediately went and scanned the home page and found absolutely nothing to support that comment. I read this forum daily and never have I seen anything to support that statement. As such, I responded accordingly. While it may be true that there have been a number of threads related issues with a number of C7's, it has never been as you so adamantly stated "front page loaded with topics of disgust". Certainly not fact and very disputable.

I just find it amazing that most of the negative banter about the C7 and it's issues are regurgitated over and over by a small few here who don't even own C7's. I own a C7 and mine has been great just like most others who own them. Have there been problems with some? Yes. Have most been problems that could have been avoided with better Q/C? Absolutely! That said, the number of problems on more recently produced cars seems to be much fewer than what we saw earlier on in the C7 production. I think GM is getting a handle on the production line woes.

Either way, all this venom towards the product is way out of hand and when it's constantly being spewed by small group of people who don't even own the car, it's even more frustrating. Every topic that is started here regarding an issue has the same few members flocking to it like vultures and it's disgusting. The term ambulance chaser comes to mind. A poor C7 owner can't even post his issue here without it being derailed by people who don't even own one, have no intents of owning one or some meaningless political BS. It's a shame that these critics can't be constructive or just move on. Instead they kick a man when he's down by saying "I told you not to buy a first year car" or start bringing up all these other issues that have nothing to do with this mans car. It's like a bunch of toddlers here and some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Absolutely pathetic!

Big Dan 427 03-12-2014 04:33 PM

Nicely stated Heath, I will disagree with you respectfully b/c I believe everything I've said holds water though and I am not exaggerating, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Do you have data to back up your MB claim? Just kidding, as I said earlier the data thing means nothing. As I've also stated from the day it was revealed I am very interested in a Z and if GM doesn't impress me enough with it's QC on the 7 than the Z will go by the wayside.

I do agree with you regarding discussion for the reasons of getting help, I believe that is whjy they started a sticky on this page that had 152k views.

texvette2 03-12-2014 05:39 PM

I had a new Trans Am in High School. Was maybe 50 miles from town, after driving
500 mile to visit family. Car +-1,500 miles. .

Started noticing the oil gauge (old days) going from 0 to max.
When it started staying on
zero pulled over. The car had no oil on the stick. know when took
delivery was full. No leaking, No residue on the exhaust, No smoke.
So called family to bring oil. We filled. Next day took to dealer and they
found nothing. The car never did it again and ran to 70K before a trade.
Was alway a mystery.

Think you vette will be fine

lgodom 03-12-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 1586387336)
Does anyone have anything to say that's still ON TOPIC? This started out as a good thread where some of us C7 'Owners' might glean some knowledge.

I come back to this thread often to see if the OP is back on the road enjoying his new C7 and I have to weed through several pages of irrelevant and unrelated BS complaints. If someone doesn't like the car or think its quality level is not up to par, they really should move on to another car/forum rather than just bash the entire car for a failed oil filter.

Joe B. 03-12-2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by hope2 (Post 1586384896)
my money is on something dumb and simple like the oil fill cap, and dealer doesn't want to own up. whatever it was, it won't happen again, IMOP.

:iagree: GM did a dizzying amount of torture testing to "make sure they got it right" as evidenced in hundreds of posts by impatient people waiting for production to begin on pre-ordered cars.

xpk 03-12-2014 11:27 PM

I have had similar issues with various cars over the years. My wife drove back from a "Quicky Lube" after an oil change and parked the car in the drive. After she drove off to meet a friend, I noticed a trail of oil out the drive and onto the street until it petered out. I called her immediately at her friends house down the block, (no cell phones then), and told her not to drive or even start the car. I went back out in drive and saw something in the gutter. It was the oil filter! It had been screwed on so loose that it fell off as she drove away. Yes, I pummeled the "Quicky Lube" store into replacing the engine. I never let any of my cars be serviced by an outside service center again.

I had my 89 Corvette Convertible leave a smoky trail of oil mist behind me one day while driving down the freeway to an intended vacation get away. I pulled over as soon as I noticed the issue to check on the car. It was dripping oil from the engine compartment and much of the engine, undercarriage, rear suspension, and rear of the car was covered in a fine mist or droplets of engine oil. A quick check of the oil level showed minimal loss. Since almost everything had a thin layer of oil on it, there was no way to easily see where it was coming from. I had it trucked back to my house, and pulled it into my shop for evaluation. After extensive cleaning and pulling many parts off, I started the engine with the car on the lift and inspected every part of the engine visible to me. Nothing. Still on the lift, I put the car in gear and let it run a bit. I noticed a small leak from the edge of the oil cooler adapter sandwiched in between the oil filter and the engine block. As the engine heated up to operating temperature the leak turned into a tiny jet of oil spraying towards the front of the engine. I removed the cooler adapter and cleaned it. I found a tiny crack in the housing where one of the hose bibs was brazed into it. Apparently it had been created from the continual temperature and pressure fluctuations over it's years of use. Not a common failure, but it occurred none the less. Perhaps it was slightly thinner in that area when produced than others in the same batch. Who knows?

However, all that oil all over the underside of the car and all over the engine and compartment all came from that tiny little leak spraying onto the side of the engine. How did it do that? Well, the air entering the engine compartment and coming in under the car at freeway speeds is swirling and tumbling around and going in all directions with the hood down and the tires spinning up their own whirl winds. All that turbulence was moving that fine oil mist and spray into every nick and cranny in and under the car at speed. I think the same thing happened to the C7 under discussion here. A leak from a pressure sensor, oil cooling hose connection, oil filter gasket, loose oil fill cap, (710), or some other source that may or may not be determined let loose a tumbling twirling mist of oil thrown about by the air moving through the engine compartment and under the car at speed. The origin of the leak will be hard to find without extensive and diligent searching. Hopefully the owner can find the source of the leak, at least just to know that it has been properly taken care of and won't reoccur.

Good Luck.

Skid Row Joe 03-12-2014 11:53 PM

Absolutely!

Dan,

The ever mounting number of different and repetitive defects are legion on the C7. Some do not want them to see the light of day. For them, there's no hope, but for others there's still the opportunity to learn before they buy. I am part of that segment, the segment that continually learns from others' experiences. We can all give thanks for CF to offer this unparalleled forum to give these C7 issues the light of day.

What is sad is the impossible and negative demeanor reduced to abusive rants against anyone that wishes to participate in these discussions in a rational manner. Again, for them, there is no hope.

The brand new C7 losing it's oil, or a portion thereof has been a true defining moment to discern those out to try to cover-up the problem by in some cases calling the OP a liar. The sourcing of the C7's defect has not even been identified, yet the attacks continue against anybody that would question the event as unusual. I think it's fairly clear who the apologists are that do not want these problems exposed nor discussed.

TLC5 In CT. 03-13-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by lgodom (Post 1586388289)

I come back to this thread often to see if the OP is back on the road enjoying his new C7 and I have to weed through several pages of irrelevant and unrelated BS complaints. If someone doesn't like the car or think its quality level is not up to par, they really should move on to another car/forum rather than just bash the entire car for a failed oil filter.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It seems some people enjoy bashing Corvettes in general rather than just moving on to forums of cars they prefer. I have no interest in owning a Ferrari, BMW, Nissan, Porsche, or Aston Martin and as such don't bother perusing Forums that discuss same.

Big Lebowski 03-13-2014 07:34 AM

I'll keep my opinions on this thread short and sweet:

:trainwreck:

gthal 03-13-2014 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1586391604)
The brand new C7 losing it's oil, or a portion thereof has been a true defining moment ....

:spit: Damn... I just spit coffee all over myself... :D

SRQStingray 03-13-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1586392619)
:spit: Damn... I just spit coffee all over myself... :D

The guy is here for one reason and one reason only, to bash the C7. He isn't interested in why the OP's car lost 2 quarts of oil. He is interested in building that one episode into the demise of GM and the Stingray. This is NO defining moment. He certainly, as evidenced by his posts, has no real interest in the C7 and seems to be exuberant over every report of an issue. Go to any car forum and you will encounter threads and posts about problems. If he hates the C7 so much, maybe he should find a forum for a car he likes or spend his time off topic where 24 of his 25 threads were started. His one and only C7 thread was apparently a tongue in cheek thread about fitting a walker in the C7.

Lipstic 03-13-2014 08:26 AM

In the mist of this pizzing contest....did the OP post the final outcome? What the dealer said? Dear OP please post and let some of us know who would like to know the final outcome, maybe post on a new thread so others will not have to read through this :bs

ATX-C7 03-13-2014 08:31 AM

Absolutely!

The ever mounting number of different and repetitive defects are legion on the C7.

:crazy2::crazy2:

C7 Hater is back I see.

It's like a new episode of Dumb and Dumber.

Dumb spits outs a lie and his 'big' side sick Dumber comes on and backs him up.

gthal 03-13-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lipstic (Post 1586392837)
In the mist of this pizzing contest....did the OP post the final outcome? What the dealer said? Dear OP please post and let some of us know who would like to know the final outcome, maybe post on a new thread so others will not have to read through this :bs

I believe the dealer said it was the gasket around the oil filter.

Big Dan 427 03-13-2014 08:44 AM

Absolutely!

Dan,

The ever mounting number of different and repetitive defects are legion on the C7.

I guess we just talk C7 b/c this is a Corvette forum Joe, the real problem is with GM and it's continued inability to see the light!

Originally Posted by SRQStingray (Post 1586392736)
He isn't interested in why the OP's car lost 2 quarts of oil. He is interested in building that one episode into the demise of GM and the Stingray.

I think we're all interested in why this car lost the oil. Can you imagine if all that oil got under the tires and he crashed because of it, even worse if it caught on fire and he couldn't get out? Don't brush it off, that could have happened and we'd sadly be having a different conversation.

GM has been creating it's own demise, it doesn't need anyone's help.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/another-...switch-defect/

SRQStingray 03-13-2014 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586392954)
I guess we just talk C7 b/c this is a Corvette forum Joe, the real problem is with GM and it's continued inability to see the light!

I think we're all interested in why this car lost the oil. Can you imagine if all that oil got under the tires and he crashed because of it, even worse if it caught on fire and he couldn't get out? Don't brush it off, that could have happened and we'd sadly be having a different conversation.

Everyone who owns a C7 or is contemplating buying one wants to know what caused the OP's car to lose 2 quarts of oil. We are all concerned and sympathize with the OP. That being said, there are certain forum members who spend an inordinate amount of time bashing the C7 and the majority of them don'town a C7 or, for that matter, a Corvette.

Sunset-C6 03-13-2014 10:19 AM

okay............

C7pimp 03-13-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lipstic (Post 1586392837)

Car is out on the road, driving fine.

Put 100 miles on it the past two days without incident.

The amount of attention this car gets is insane. I've yet to see another C7 out on the road here, and people gawk and stare everywhere I go.

Coworkers are all coming up to me this morning asking me questions and giving me compliments.

I absolutely am in love with this car. My supercharged Mustang is a blast to drive, but it is nothing like this car. This is a dream come true.

C7pimp 03-13-2014 11:50 AM

Thanks to all those with constructive input and help.

Big Dan 427 03-13-2014 11:54 AM

AWESOME NEWS! Glad to hear all is okay, best of luck!!

ATX-C7 03-13-2014 11:59 AM

Wow, well the world is not ending as predicted by some :rofl:

Glad it's back on track and enjoy it.

CV-4606 03-13-2014 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1586394506)

The amount of attention this car gets is insane. I've yet to see another C7 out on the road here, and people gawk and stare everywhere I go.

Coworkers are all coming up to me this morning asking me questions and giving me compliments.

I absolutely am in love with this car. My supercharged Mustang is a blast to drive, but it is nothing like this car. This is a dream come true.

I am glad your issue was resolved. I hope in the future ALL people on this forum will stay on topic and refrain from the BS. Please. Don't take the bait and be smart and considerate to the rest of us.

slief 03-13-2014 01:10 PM

That is great to hear!

GreginNH 03-13-2014 01:49 PM

Good news! Enjoy your new ride!

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586392954)

Good points, Dan.

Some haven't thought the oil loss thing through. What's a little oil anyway? So what if it causes the car to lose control and crash, or catches fire while driving it. It was no big deal to some here.

GM has always used their customer base as their proving grounds. It seems that hasn't changed much since I first started hearing this in the '60s and '70s.

JoesC5 03-13-2014 02:03 PM

Glad to hear that everything is fine with your car. But, it does make me wonder why........

the car was apparently shipped from Bowling Green low on oil. I say that as it's not required to remove the oil filler cap to check the oil level during the PDI

and........

if the car was low on oil from the factory, then why is a person doing a PDI if he isn't capable of re-installed the oil filler cap after adding oil, doing PDI's?

The PDI is the manufacturers last chance to ensure the car is ready to be delivered to the customer in a ready to drive condition. I would think they would want someone that is capable of doing a PDI correctly, doing the PDI.

PS- people, including myself, also received their new C6 Z06's with low oil. A little more understanding as the Z06 has the dry sump system and it does take a little effort to correctly check the oil level during the PDI. I'm assuming the people doing the Z06's PDI's were not wanting to take the time to correctly do a PDI on the dry sump Z06's so they just didn't check the oil level.

Slappy3243 03-13-2014 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1586395563)
Good points, Dan.

Some haven't thought the oil loss thing through. What's a little oil anyway? So what if it causes the car to lose control and crash, or catches fire while driving it. It was no big deal to some here.

GM has always used their customer base as their proving grounds. It seems that hasn't changed much since I first started hearing this in the '60s and '70s.

So anyway, did you read the part in this thread where the oil leak was confirmed to be a faulty gasket? Seems like you missed this part and now you are just rambling on about how oil is generally not safe to drive on or have poured all over your engine. I think we all have a firm grasp on that.

Woodson 03-13-2014 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1586395563)
Good points, Dan.

If it is such a terrible car, why are you here?

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586395679)
So anyway, did you read the part in this thread where the oil leak was confirmed to be a faulty gasket? Seems like you missed this part and now you are just rambling on about how oil is generally not safe to drive on or have poured all over your engine. I think we all have a firm grasp on that.

:skep: I think you're confused. Go back and study the OPs posts. The car blew oil while driving. What does your knee-jerk post have to do with anything I wrote?

ATX-C7 03-13-2014 02:14 PM

Our flying troll is back...

So sad.

Grown man getting his rocks off annoying people in a car forum.

We got it--you hate the C7, it's a piece of *hit, GM sucks, C7 owners are idiots...we got it for the 100th time.

MODS - PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD, and while you're at it lock out the troll.

Slappy3243 03-13-2014 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1586395734)
:skep: I think you're confused. Go back and study the OPs posts. The car blew oil while driving. What does your knee-jerk post have to do with anything I wrote?

The car no longer blows oil when driving. A faulty gasket caused the leak. The problem is FIXED. You story about the dangers of driving on oil or the possibility of oil on the engine catching fire, while heartfelt, is not a common occurrence. A defect caused it. The story is now over.

jackhall99 03-13-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586395780)
The car no longer blows oil when driving. A faulty gasket caused the leak. The problem is FIXED. Your story about the dangers of driving on oil or the possibility of oil on the engine catching fire, while heartfelt, is not a common occurrence. A defect caused it. The story is now over.

And this troll Skid Row Joe, self proclaimed expert of all things bad about the C7, has now added the "fact" that GM has been using their customer base as their proving grounds since the '60s and '70s. :ack:

It is pathetic to see his innuendo permitted to continue to clutter and derail so many good threads. :cheers:

ATX-C7 03-13-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1586395913)

And this troll Skid Row Joe, self proclaimed expert of all things bad about the C7, has now added the "fact" that GM has been using their customer base as their proving grounds since the '60s and '70s. :ack:

It is pathetic to see his innuendo permitted to continue to clutter and derail so many good threads. :cheers:

Jack don't forget my favorite from the troll "defects are legion on the C7"

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 02:37 PM

The car no longer blows oil when driving. A faulty gasket caused the leak. The problem is FIXED. You story about the dangers of driving on oil or the possibility of oil on the engine catching fire, while heartfelt, is not a common occurrence. A defect caused it. The story is now over.

Ya know, I think we all read that. I wasn't sure if you had or not.

JoesC5 03-13-2014 02:41 PM

Don't you find it odd that when the dealer FIRST looked at the car(and cleaned it up) they said they didn't find any leaks, yet under further questioning by the owner at a later date, they then said they replaced the oil filter because it had a faulty gasket?

They didn't find the faulty gasket on the oil filter during a second trip to the dealer for oil being all over the engine compartment, and they originally claimed there were no leaks found during their exhaustive investigation as to why there was oil all over the engine and the engine was two quarts low on oil.

Also odd that within minutes after the first start of the car at Bowling Green it was run to a high RPM(and high oil pressure) on the chassis dyno and the oil filter gasket didn't fail under the exact conditions laid out by the dealer to the OP upon further questioning.

Every time I've had my car(s) in for warranty work, I signed off that the work had been done and I received a copy of the paper work that described the work performed and the parts replaced. If the dealer had replaced the oil filter and added two quarts of oil, it should be on the paperwork he received after the warranty work was completed during the original visit to the dealer. If the OP will see if his paperwork shows that a new oil filter was installed, I will consider the case closed. But.......if it doesn't show that.....the story is not over, IMHO.

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1586396007)
Don't you find it odd that when the dealer FIRST looked at the car(and cleaned it up) they said they didn't find any leaks, yet under further questioning by the owner at a later date, they then said they replaced the oil filter because it had a faulty gasket?

They didn't find the faulty gasket on the oil filter during a second trip to the dealer for oil being all over the engine compartment, and they originally claimed there were no leaks found during their exhaustive investigation as to why there was oil all over the engine and the engine was two quarts low on oil.

Also odd that within minutes after the first start of the car at Bowling Green it was run to a high RPM(and high oil pressure) on the chassis dyno and the oil filter gasket didn't fail under the exact conditions laid out by the dealer to the OP upon further questioning.

Well, yes I found the whole set of incidents odd too, but followed along anyway. We can only go by what the OP relates here and be satisfied with it.

JoesC5 03-13-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1586396098)
Well, yes I found the whole set of incidents odd too, but followed along anyway. We can only go by what the OP relates here and be satisfied with it.

This is what the OP posted.....

"Here's the crazy part. The car is no longer leaking. They cannot find a leak anywhere. They filled the oil full, tried different RPM ranges, and the engine didn't lose a drop of oil.

They said they called into the higher up GM service center (whatever the corporate service place is called) to report the issue and to see if they can get any ideas on what caused this. They'll keep the car another day and see if they can reproduce the leak. If not, it will be released."
Now, why would the dealer say that and then take it all the way to the GM service center if they had found the oil filter gasket faulty and replaced it? There's a lot of BS being slung around and it's not from the one's being accused of it.

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1586396178)

"Here's the crazy part. The car is no longer leaking. They cannot find a leak anywhere. They filled the oil full, tried different RPM ranges, and the engine didn't lose a drop of oil.

They said they called into the higher up GM service center (whatever the corporate service place is called) to report the issue and to see if they can get any ideas on what caused this. They'll keep the car another day and see if they can reproduce the leak. If not, it will be released.'

Now, why would the dealer say that and then take it all the way to the GM service center if they had found the oil filter gasket faulty and replaced it? There's a lot of BS being slung around and it's not from the one's being accused of it.

Joe,
I can't explain any of that either......:(

01VETTECOP 03-13-2014 03:13 PM

I hope you have nothing but Good Luck with it !

Big Dan 427 03-13-2014 03:24 PM

I'm very glad for the OP and hope it will be forever good.

My curious side still would like to know what really happened. Joe you would know this, where is the filter located in this car and would it spray upward even under pressure to saturate the under side of the hood?

Slappy3243 03-13-2014 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1586396007)

Every time I've had my car(s) in for warranty work, I signed off that the work had been done and I received a copy of the paper work that described the work performed and the parts replaced. If the dealer had replaced the oil filter and added two quarts of oil, it should be on the paperwork he received after the warranty work was completed during the original visit to the dealer. If the OP will see if his paperwork shows that a new oil filter was installed, I will consider the case closed. But.......if it doesn't show that.....the story is not over, IMHO.

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1586396178)

They said they called into the higher up GM service center (whatever the corporate service place is called) to report the issue and to see if they can get any ideas on what caused this. They'll keep the car another day and see if they can reproduce the leak. If not, it will be released."

The guy has driven over 100 miles on the car now without a problem, throughout the rev range. If there truly was something wrong with the car, it didn't magically heal itself. Maybe the dealer screwed something up on the PDI and blamed it on a gasket. I can't prove that they didn't nor can anybody. However, for a car to lose that amount of oil and now all of the sudden it's fine indicates to me that it was something silly and similar in seriousness to a loose gasket and not a catastrophic engine failure. His engine would be toast by now.

jackhall99 03-13-2014 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586396427)
.... My curious side still would like to know what really happened. ...

I believe we all agree on this point Dan. :cheers:

SRQStingray 03-13-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1586395707)
If it is such a terrible car, why are you here?

A lot of us wonder why he is here as well? Is his goal to save the world from C7s? He looks at every opportunity to debase the C7, GM and every one of us who bought a C7. There are no widespread reports of C7s losing oil. It was one car out of over 20,000. We may never know what happened. We do know it wasn't some catastrophic fail. Hopefully, the OP will have no further problems and the dealership will follow up to insure that the problem is solved. GM customer service should also follow up on this issue and offer the OP something for his trouble.

Nicky43 03-13-2014 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586378688)
Then why make the assertion without data to begin with?

BINGO!

Seeing as most people are more likely to post problems than to post all the good experiences, using any forum to measure the performance/failure statistics of any auto is really pretty stupid and displays an absolute lack of understanding about how forums work.

Many people who have no interest in reading forums daily will only turn to a forum when they are seeking answers to a problem they may have. That FACT alone would skew any statistical data toward the negative side.

I've had my C7 for 850 miles and haven't had a single problem. This car does have one feature that can sometimes get annoying. Almost everywhere I go, people have to stop me as I walk towards or away from my car to tell me how beautiful it is. That's NOT an exaggeration.

Nicky43 03-13-2014 04:41 PM

Joe,
I think you've been on Skid Row too long. It's sad that the road you have chosen has brought you to this state of affairs. You obviously don't like GM at all and seeing as this is a forum concerning a particular GM car I can't understand why you would waste your time on this forum. Is your life really that miserable and empty. That's not a question. Your board name tells me all I need to know.

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586396467)
The guy has driven over 100 miles on the car now without a problem, throughout the rev range. If there truly was something wrong with the car, it didn't magically heal itself. Maybe the dealer screwed something up on the PDI and blamed it on a gasket. I can't prove that they didn't nor can anybody. However, for a car to lose that amount of oil and now all of the sudden it's fine indicates to me that it was something silly and similar in seriousness to a loose gasket and not a catastrophic engine failure. His engine would be toast by now.

What no one knows is what the Chevrolet dealer knows. To assume that it was confined to a loose oil filter gasket sealing point is fine. However, tracing the OP's writings as JoeC5 did, seems to arouse suspicion, and questions. JoeC5 is doing just that. I don't see why that's an issue. Do you?

Slappy3243 03-13-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1586397129)
What no one knows is what the Chevrolet dealer knows. To assume that it was confined to a loose oil filter gasket sealing point is fine. However, tracing the OP's writings as JoeC5 did, seems to arouse suspicion, and questions. JoeC5 is doing just that. I don't see why that's an issue. Do you?

Sure. However, if there was a real problem with the engine and it was spewing oil like that, there is no way the dealer could have fixed it in that time frame. It would be a new engine installation. So, we can deduce that it was something that was likely overlooked at PDI and either there was a gasket leak of some nature or the dealer made a mistake and is embarrassed. Regardless, the fix was obviously easy in nature and the engine is fine. This is not indicative of a problem with C7s overall.

Nicky43 03-13-2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586397408)
Sure. However, if there was a real problem with the engine and it was spewing oil like that, there is no way the dealer could have fixed it in that time frame. It would be a new engine installation. So, we can deduce that it was something that was likely overlooked at PDI and either there was a gasket leak of some nature or the dealer made a mistake and is embarrassed. Regardless, the fix was obviously easy in nature and the engine is fine. This is not indicative of a problem with C7s overall.

Total agree. I used to be an auto mechanic back a long time ago and I've had plenty of cars in my 62 years. I'm certain this was a silly error like a loose oil line or a bad filter gasket seal. I'm sure the first thing the dealer did was to tighten everything related to the oil and even if it may have felt tight obviously it wasn't. The OP may have been BSed by the dealer not wanting to admit they found a loose oil line.

I'm certain it was nothing major. This happened at 11 miles definitely the period where a mfg error like a loose oil line would surface. If it was serious, more serious symptoms would have surfaced by now.

Skid Row Joe 03-13-2014 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243 (Post 1586397408)

As I wrote - I'm good with it as is. JoeC5 made some great points, but all the OP gave us is what he had, and since the OP is happy with the outcome. So am I. :cheers:

John C. 03-13-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586369254)
That's the first thing you've said that makes sense, glad to see you're making progress!:lol:

Someone proud to be associated with Acura? I guess you can find everything on the internet!

Big Dan 427 03-13-2014 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 1586397698)
Someone proud to be associated with Acura? I guess you can find everything on the internet!

Would you like to explain yourself or should we just assume? I'd prefer the former. Based on your 12 posts in 6 mos. I can expect a response in about two weeks.:rofl:

John C. 03-13-2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1586398082)
Would you like to explain yourself or should we just assume? I'd prefer the former. Based on your 12 posts in 6 mos. I can expect a response in about two weeks.:rofl:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

But Acura has been adrift product-wise for years. The company stopped trying a long time ago. They're cars for people who don't like cars.

And they need to stop trotting out the NSX concept every auto show. At this point it's like watching some pudgy housewife show you her tattoo to prove she was cool once.

JoesC5 03-13-2014 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nicky43 (Post 1586397456)
Total agree. I used to be an auto mechanic back a long time ago and I've had plenty of cars in my 62 years. I'm certain this was a silly error like a loose oil line or a bad filter gasket seal. I'm sure the first thing the dealer did was to tighten everything related to the oil and even if it may have felt tight obviously it wasn't. The OP may have been BSed by the dealer not wanting to admit they found a loose oil line.

I'm certain it was nothing major. This happened at 11 miles definitely the period where a mfg error like a loose oil line would surface. If it was serious, more serious symptoms would have surfaced by now.

One of the first things I asked at the beginning of this thread...."Is it a Z51". I asked because the Z51 has the dry sump system with it's related oil lines that the base LT1 does not have. The OP said it was not a Z51 so that leaves out a lot of pressurized places(such as an oil line to the reservoir or to the oil cooler) that could leak oil. One is the oil filter and the other is the oil pressure sensor. What other places are pressurized that could spray oil to the outside of the engine that you have found in your 62 years?

And, if the dealer found such a leak, why didn't he say that on the repair slip? In fact the dealer originally said he could not find a leak and later, after additional questioning, said they replaced the oil filter because it had a faulty gasket. If there was a leak somewhere on the engine, then it was the dealer's responsibility to inform GM of what they did to repair the car under warranty, not BS the owner of the car. How do you believe that GM comes up with TSB's or make running changes in the car's design, if they don't get truthful feedback from their dealers.

I hope the OP doesn't have any more problems of this nature with his car, but I sure wouldn't call it "case closed" after 100 miles of driving.

Gr8ful 03-13-2014 11:57 PM

JoesC5,
When would you call the case closed? After a 1000, 5000 or maybe 10000 miles. Just wondering when would you be comfortable that it will not spew oil again. I do think there are some discrepencies with the dealers explanation.
As a former Service manager at a BMW store, all work comleted under warranty had to be on a workorder for the dealer to get paid. The OP should have paperwork that that reflects everything done. Just saying.

JoesC5 03-14-2014 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gr8ful (Post 1586400540)
JoesC5,
When would you call the case closed? After a 1000, 5000 or maybe 10000 miles. Just wondering when would you be comfortable that it will not spew oil again. I do think there are some discrepencies with the dealers explanation.
As a former Service manager at a BMW store, all work comleted under warranty had to be on a workorder for the dealer to get paid. The OP should have paperwork that that reflects everything done. Just saying.

I believe that is exactly what I said in several posts. There is a paper trail.

Who knows how long it might take before I would call the case closed. I sure wouldn't at 100 miles if I believed that I was being BS'd by the dealer as to what they found and what thy did to correct the oil leak.

I didn't feel the case was closed on the possibility of my LS7 dropping an exhaust valve at 28,000 miles and 5 years, until I replaced the heads with aftermarket PRC265 heads made up of 100% all new non GM components. Just because I didn't drop a valve during the first 28,000 miles, didn't mean it wouldn't happen later, as there is no magic cutoff mileage that you reach and can never drop a valve after you reach that number.

I drove my Z06 for the last several years with the thought that I could end up on the side of the road a thousand miles from home at any time. Even though I had the 5 year warranty that would have replaced my engine, I still didn't want to drop a valve. Two days after my warranty ran out, new heads were on my Z06. At least now I can drive my Z06 and not worry as to when the other shoe is going to drop.

I feel for the OP as I don't believe his dealer has been truthful with him, thus how does he know the "case is closed" or if(when) it might happen again. Sure he has a warranty, but does he really want to always wonder if today is the day his car will leave him stranded on the side of the road.

lt4obsesses 03-14-2014 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gr8ful (Post 1586400540)
JoesC5,

I wouldn't exactly call it 'case closed' either. At this point I would still be checking the oil level every couple of days/drives. Inspecting for leaks etc. just as a check. I would call it case closed completely after the first oil change.

I think it is possible that it could have been something like a loose dip stick, or pressure from overfill blowing past dipstick. The dealer may have changed the oil filter just to put the customer at ease knowing 'something' had been done. Or perhaps, after further inspection and test driving, it really was the cause.

vetehead 03-14-2014 09:37 AM

Great to hear!:thumbs:hopefully the rest of your ownership will be trouble free:cheers:...love the car:cool: