CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   63 Windshield (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3425381-63-windshield.html)

deejaydu 02-24-2014 12:16 AM

63 Windshield

Who sells the correct and best Windshield rubber gasket for a 63 SW. I also need 28 new clips. Are they original style and do all the vendors sell the same ones.

Thanks

Nowhere Man 02-24-2014 07:58 AM

Paragon has the right clips.

gbvette62 02-24-2014 09:00 AM

To my knowledge, the only company making Corvette windshield rubber, is Corvette Rubber. Most vendors carry the one from Corvette Rubber. If your not sure who's they are selling, ask.

I don't recall who makes the molding clips, but I'm pretty sure there is only one source for them also.

rayvaflav 02-24-2014 09:18 AM

Are the ones from Paragon (the USA made kit) now the ones that will work correctly ? I remember over the last few years it seemed like none of the reproductions worked correctly. I'll be needed a set for my coupe as well.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...kit-coupe.aspx

Ray

deejaydu 02-24-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by rayvaflav (Post 1586249141)
Are the ones from Paragon (the USA made kit) now the ones that will work correctly ? I remember over the last few years it seemed like none of the reproductions worked correctly. I'll be needed a set for my coupe as well.

Ray

Hello Ray,

That is the reason that I asked the question. We seem to remember the same thing. I hope that someone can tell us for sure. I had to remove my 63 SW windshield to find a water leak. I am pleased that the windshield frame is in excellent shape and I found the water leak where a very small area of the roofline was unbonded right where it touches the windshield frame. I think that I will be good to go after a correct reinstall.

I hope that you make it for Keels and Wheels this year.

Jay

gbvette62 02-24-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by rayvaflav (Post 1586249141)

Ray

The ones in your link are for 64-67 Corvettes. The OP was asking about 1963's, which have a different windshield molding and use different clips.

The US made 64-67 clips that Paragon has, I think are the updated clips, that are supposed to work. I'm pretty sure that Long Island is the company that is actually making the correct clips. I would check with Paragon (or anyone else you might buy them from) to make sure that they are the better clips.

gbvette62 02-24-2014 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by deejaydu (Post 1586249403)
Hello Ray,

That is the reason that I asked the question. We seem to remember the same thing. I hope that someone can tell us for sure. I had to remove my 63 SW windshield to find a water leak. I am pleased that the windshield frame is in excellent shape and I found the water leak where a very small area of the roofline was unbonded right where it touches the windshield frame. I think that I will be good to go after a correct reinstall.

I hope that you make it for Keels and Wheels this year.

Jay

The problem with windshield molding clips, involved the 64-67 clips, not the 63's. The 63 has different windshield moldings, and uses a completely different clip. I've never heard of any issues with the 63 clips.

Frankie the Fink 02-24-2014 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered my windshield rubber direct from Corvette Rubber. Not sure I'd trust a middle man to have them as the source. You have to be VERY cautious ordering the '63 window clips. I think there are at least two different types and they HAVE to be for a '63. Mine were back-ordered for quite a while but finally arrived. I'll try to find my invoices and post them here. You get the wrong thing and you're screwed.

This is what I found but IIRC there were two types of clips and I may have had to order them elsewhere...can't remember!:ack:

deejaydu 02-24-2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1586249626)
I ordered my windshield rubber direct from Corvette Rubber. Not sure I'd trust a middle man to have them as the source. You have to be VERY cautious ordering the '63 window clips. I think there are at least two different types and they HAVE to be for a '63. Mine were back-ordered for quite a while but finally arrived. I'll try to find my invoices and post them here. You get the wrong thing and you're screwed.

This is what I found but IIRC there were two types of clips and I may have had to order them elsewhere...can't remember!:ack:

Frankie were the clips that you ordered like the original clips and did they work well. Are the two clips used on the pillar moldings the same as the other 24 clips that are used on the top and the bottom. Do you have a picture that you can post that shows the correct placement for the clips.

Thanks
Jay

Frankie the Fink 02-24-2014 07:44 PM

I did not replace my windshield (yet)....since I was replacing the headliner anyway and had all the metal trim out around the windshield I put sealant around the perimeter of the windshield gasket-to-frame area by lifting the gasket up carefully. I think that will prob solve my leak. If not I'll deal with the windshield later on; that's why I have the clips and gasket in my spares locker.

deejaydu 02-25-2014 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1586254047)
I did not replace my windshield (yet)....since I was replacing the headliner anyway and had all the metal trim out around the windshield I put sealant around the perimeter of the windshield gasket-to-frame area by lifting the gasket up carefully. I think that will prob solve my leak. If not I'll deal with the windshield later on; that's why I have the clips and gasket in my spares locker.

Frankie that explains why I did not see a post from you about your windshield removal yet. I now have mine out and have the frame all cleaned up and can clearly see where the leak is. It is where the roof bonds to the frame on the left side about 2 inches in. There is very clear separation with a small hole about the size of a BB and when I stick a small screwdriver in the hole it goes all of the way through. That might not be my only leak but it is definitely one for sure. I removed 30 clips so I know that somebody has been in there before. The clips are confusing to say the least. I might have to summons Jackfit on this one since he has been there and done that. Oh Jack where are you?

Thanks

Frankie the Fink 02-25-2014 06:08 AM

Here is what you need:
http://1963splitwindow.blogspot.com/...tion-1963.html

This article also states that Paragon may have the better fitting clips - so it might be "my bad" on that purchase.
We'll see... Note the number and types of clips shown - 30 on your car is too many it seems.

deejaydu 02-25-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1586256673)
Here is what you need:
http://1963splitwindow.blogspot.com/...tion-1963.html

This article also states that Paragon may have the better fitting clips - so it might be "my bad" on that purchase.
We'll see... Note the number and types of clips shown - 30 on your car is too many it seems.

Hello Frankie,

That answers all of my questions. I will get everything ready and do a trial fit of the clips and trim and then go for it.

Jay

Frankie the Fink 02-25-2014 10:56 AM

If you can reciprocate by letting me know what molding tool you used to pull the windshield molding off I'd appreciate it. A picture or link to the product is fine.

I've never pulled molding off a vintage car and have NONE of the tools to do so.
It'd be nice to buy something knowing somebody else used it successfully for the same task on an SWC.

deejaydu 02-25-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1586258205)
If you can reciprocate by letting me know what molding tool you used to pull the windshield molding off I'd appreciate it. A picture or link to the product is fine.

I've never pulled molding off a vintage car and have NONE of the tools to do so.
It'd be nice to buy something knowing somebody else used it successfully for the same task on an SWC.

Frankie I did not use a specific molding tool. With the help of a neighbor I used a very thin metal ruler along with two small plastic pry bars that he had. I then slightly heated the gasket and then slipped the ruler between the molding and the gasket and pushed in to release the clips one at a time. While I had the clip pushed in my neighbor slid either one or both of the plastic pry bars under the molding and gently lifted it up a little at a time. We took our time and never applied pressure to the molding until we saw it coming up and then we only used necessary pressure to remove the trim. The clips were only located on the top and bottom moldings. There were not any clips on the sides. I taped everything off before we started the removal. I do not have pictures of his small plastic pry bars that we used. We got the moldings off without any damage. I hope that this helps.

Jay

Frankie the Fink 02-25-2014 08:23 PM

Well if you don't have a tool that you can share with me at least send your neighbor over for a day or two...

deejaydu 02-25-2014 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1586263122)
Well if you don't have a tool that you can share with me at least send your neighbor over for a day or two...

Frankie I bet Mike Coletta would work out well filling in the neighbor role but in the meantime I will see if I can photograph my neighbors tools and post them up for you. They were absolutely perfect for the job. Thanks again for all of your help and the other forum members as well who posted helpful information.

Jay

Frankie the Fink 02-26-2014 07:47 AM

Yeah - Mike is my "back up plan" when I fall flat on more difficult tasks. Don't go to too much trouble posting pics or whatever. I'm prob gonna leave the windshield alone unless I have massive leaks that my Bubba caulking job missed...