CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 dies in middle of road - 2nd major problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3374613-c7-dies-in-middle-of-road-2nd-major-problem.html)

Rob4092xx 11-16-2013 08:45 PM

Tax will be passed onto the second vehicle since it will actually be handled as a "trade-in" with the dealer. In short, you will not pay the tax again.

License plates (and value) will simply be transferred to the new vehicle by the dealer. In AZ this transfer costs $12.

This really is a very simple deal folks. Just take your emotion out of it (ya, I know it is difficult), realize this is not emotional or personal for the Customer Care Representative (they are just doing what they do everyday), and try to relax.

Again, my experiences with GM are phenomenal! They always bend over backwards for the customer once it gets to the BBB stage. The only time I have a Hearing involving GM is when the customer is making ridiculous demands. GM seems to resolve most every case before we sit down and begin the Hearing!

I have been hearing cases for over 20 years.....the info I provide is based only upon my experiences.

Originally Posted by GRG (Post 1585445841)
Who pays for the tax, title and license fees the OP had to pay?

Rob4092xx 11-16-2013 08:50 PM

Red Lightning is dead-on....on every point he makes! Anything the OP has to pay for is something extra he wanted in his new vehicle.

Remember OP: once the buy-back occurs, you can get any C7 you want...different color, different options, whatever! You cannot get your money back, but you can get any C7 you might want!

Just FYI; the broken C7 title will be stamped as a "Buy-back" to protect future purchasers. The car will most likely be run through an auction as GM will not put cars like these on their lots.

Originally Posted by Red Lightening (Post 1585446378)
No not at all. OP should pay nothing. Sometimes they charge a mileage fee on the old car but Even if they do it will be next to nothing. They will even do a substitution of collateral if he has a loan through a bank. If he chooses a new car with more options they will do an MSRP to MSRP swap with the OP paying the difference in MSRP only.

glennhl 11-16-2013 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx (Post 1585447396)
Red Lightning is dead-on....on every point he makes! Anything the OP has to pay for is something extra he wanted in his new vehicle.

Remember OP: once the buy-back occurs, you can get any C7 you want...different color, different options, whatever! You cannot get your money back, but you can get any C7 you might want!

Just FYI; the broken C7 title will be stamped as a "Buy-back" to protect future purchasers. The car will most likely be run through an auction as GM will not put cars like these on their lots.

Rob and to the OP, any clue where the auction will be held, I'd gladly buy a new used car with a new engine for a deeply discounted price. Don't get me wrong, if I were the OP, I'd definitely do the buy back.

red2012 11-16-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx (Post 1585447366)

They always bend over backwards for the customer once it gets to the BBB stage. .

The point is why does it have to get to the BBB stage. Why can't GM do the right thing before then. Why do you have to push them to that point to get the right thing. Thats not phenomenal customer service, that's chit service!

red2012 11-16-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585447334)
I'm really quite surprised hearing this from you... :lol:

Gthal just way to risky at this point.

Rob4092xx 11-16-2013 09:10 PM

They will run it through a wholesale auction such as Manheim. You must be a dealer to sell and/or buy at these auctions.

The OP will be contractually bound against re-purchasing the broken C7.

The C7 title will be branded making it very, very difficult for you to re-sale...I don't think you will want it! No dealer will take it as a trade years from now. No bank will give a loan for it. The only market you will have are private, cash buyers.

Originally Posted by glennhl (Post 1585447433)
Rob and to the OP, any clue where the auction will be held, I'd gladly buy a new used car with a new engine for a deeply discounted price. Don't get me wrong, if I were the OP, I'd definitely do the buy back.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-16-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1585447497)
The point is why does it have to get to the BBB stage. Why can't GM do the right thing before then. Why do you have to push them to that point to get the right thing. Thats not phenomenal customer service, that's chit service!

I didn't have to push anyone to get them to do the right thing on my car. Just saying. :)

red2012 11-16-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585447565)
I didn't have to push anyone to get them to do the right thing on my car. Just saying. :)

Not talking about your car per se but about Rob's dealings with GM and the BBB.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-16-2013 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1585447614)

Gotcha!

Stingray Al 11-16-2013 09:40 PM

I would buy the extended warranty if they don't replace your car.

Rob4092xx 11-16-2013 09:41 PM

Can't answer that! Sorry Red2012!

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1585447614)

blackvetterzo6 11-16-2013 09:47 PM

I would try as hard as possible to get another car. A new engine just would not sit right with me. Every time you start that thing, it will be on your mind. I would demand a lifetime warranty on that engine. They have to compensate you somehow.

glennhl 11-17-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx (Post 1585447519)
They will run it through a wholesale auction such as Manheim. You must be a dealer to sell and/or buy at these auctions.

The OP will be contractually bound against re-purchasing the broken C7.

The C7 title will be branded making it very, very difficult for you to re-sale...I don't think you will want it! No dealer will take it as a trade years from now. No bank will give a loan for it. The only market you will have are private, cash buyers.

No, I'd buy it, if it's cheap enough and I'd definitely pay cash. I keep my cars a long, long time!

jimmyb 11-17-2013 01:16 AM

I very seldom side with "THE OP SHOULD HAVE HIS CAR REPLACED" crowd, but in this case, I do think the car should be replaced, for 2 very big reasons:

1. Obviously, replacing the fuel sending unit is a major job, one that was done incorrectly, which in turn, caused what can only be termed as a catastrophic failure. Replacing the engine, I would imagine, is an even BIGGER job, which would give me lots to be concerned about.
2. A replaced engine at 670 miles is going to haunt this car (and the OP) when he goes to sell it. The car is going to be de-valued in a huge way.

Jimmy

Jim Barker 11-17-2013 11:30 AM

In Ohio I'm sure I signed a arbitration agreement with all those other papers while taking delivery. Stating the steps required before I proceed with lemon law. Also the sales tax laws have changed in favor of the state concerning discounts and trade-ins. It all complicates a bad situation when it comes to who is going to pay. I think he should receive another C7!

beepster 11-17-2013 12:38 PM

:lurk:

LS14ME2 11-17-2013 01:20 PM

I remember when I bought my 1997 Trans Am.... after a few days and several hundred miles, I was just getting off the freeway and everything went red then a loud clunk, engine stopped and I pulled over, I look over and see the HB go rolling by the car at a good clip.. somehow it released from the crank and made a mess of the bottom end.. had it towed back to the original dealer and never saw it again... they/GM undid the deal and even gave me my trade back...ended up getting a new 98 TA with the LS1 when they came out..

In your instance..having a car that just quits...will always leave you with a ? in the back of your mind wondering if it could randomly happen in a really bad situation or to your wife etc... no good..

Moral of my story is, they can and should do the same for you...

Fordracer9 11-17-2013 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585437876)
Well, the speculation can stop. I just heard from dealer - worst news possible - they need to replace the engine. I am devastated.

Apparently they have been talking with GM and it has something to do with when the fuel sending unit was replaced. Because the driveline had to be removed to do that, upon reassembly the torque rod (or torque stick) needs to be aligned and/or torqued perfectly, otherwise it causes a problem with the thrush washer which apparently can then disintegrate and cause the crankshaft to have too much movement or something along those lines. At the end of the day all I know is that they need to replace my engine. I truly cannot believe this.

(I also spoke with the owner of a C7 in Colorado who also had his fuel sending unit replaced and then his car died - - he as been told the same thing - a new engine is required. This is unbelievable to me).

I've got a few questions here. First is the dealer or GM picking up the tab for the engine replacement? Assuming the C7 is like the C6 when the drive train is removed, the engine is not unbolted from the torque tube. There are lots of threads in the C6 section showing complete assys on the ground with the car in the air above it. So did the assy line misalign it, or did the dealer tech cause this by taking apart something that didn't need to be? If it was from GM like that, there will be more of these failures. If it was the tech, I don't see GM picking up the bill, but I find it tough to see 2 guys in different shops making the same mistake in about a weeks time. You really need to know this before you go to the BBB. If it's a dealer F up, GM will laugh at you when you tell them you want a new car.

stew1100 11-17-2013 02:19 PM

Is the fuel sending unit the same thing as the fuel pump? Is it in the tank or some place else.

KenHorse 11-17-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by stew1100 (Post 1585451648)
Is the fuel sending unit the same thing as the fuel pump? Is it in the tank or some place else.

Fuel pump on the LT1 (C7) is on the engine

Fordracer9 11-17-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1585451836)
Fuel pump on the LT1 (C7) is on the engine

That's the high pressure pump. There's also a feeder pump in the tank with the sending unit.

Y2K+1 Vette 11-18-2013 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the input and support. I am still reeling from all of this. Stopped in this morning to see service manager but he wasn't in yet. Waiting to hear something from GM Customer Care. This is crazy.

Stingray Al 11-18-2013 12:28 PM

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

R&L's C6 11-18-2013 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1585448643)
I very seldom side with "THE OP SHOULD HAVE HIS CAR REPLACED" crowd, but in this case, I do think the car should be replaced, for 2 very big reasons:

1. Obviously, replacing the fuel sending unit is a major job, one that was done incorrectly, which in turn, caused what can only be termed as a catastrophic failure. Replacing the engine, I would imagine, is an even BIGGER job, which would give me lots to be concerned about.
2. A replaced engine at 670 miles is going to haunt this car (and the OP) when he goes to sell it. The car is going to be de-valued in a huge way.

Jimmy

:iagree: 100%

rcallen484 11-18-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585460789)
:iagree: 100%

:iagree: If not that, full refund so OP can reconsider purchasing C7 altogether.

Y2K+1 Vette 11-19-2013 12:21 PM

Still waiting to hear from GM and/or dealer. No updates as of yet.

vette4lyn 11-20-2013 05:52 PM

Any updates on this conundrum???

RC000E 11-21-2013 06:03 PM

This is a real shame to hear. I personally wouldn't want a car that's been disassembled and reassembled by the dealer nearly twice over with under 1000 miles on it, by techs of varying skill levels. I think you're going to have more problems with it in the future, and I'd be the first to say let it go...get them to buy it back and get another one that's fresh.

I really hate seeing all these issues with these cars...it's very unfortunate. I'm just looking forward to them getting all the bugs worked out so people can enjoy the traditionally very reliable corvette that it's well known as.

Red Lightening 11-21-2013 10:24 PM

Here is another idea I'm going to throw out. Since GM took that other guys car back to the factory for paint issues why not take yours back as well and install a new drive train with the proper vin stampings at the plant. You know darn well they have a motor or two blow right on the line or while testing and change them out right there with no one knowing the difference. It IMO would be better for the plant to do the swap than Mr. Goodwrench.

lt4obsesses 11-21-2013 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1585488931)
This is a real shame to hear. I personally wouldn't want a car that's been disassembled and reassembled by the dealer nearly twice over with under 1000 miles on it, by techs of varying skill levels. I think you're going to have more problems with it in the future, and I'd be the first to say let it go...get them to buy it back and get another one that's fresh.

I really hate seeing all these issues with these cars...it's very unfortunate. I'm just looking forward to them getting all the bugs worked out so people can enjoy the traditionally very reliable corvette that it's well known as.

I agree, this is really unfortunate. There are so many great things about the design and engineering of this car. For these kind of issues to haunt the rollout is just shameful. Although, I really have to wonder how much falls directly on GM and how much falls on supplier QC issues. So many of the parts are outsourced, with now real way of knowing if the part is defective or not until it has some miles on it. Hopefully they will hunt down the gremlins in short order.

So it sounds to me, that the driveline (drive shaft, aka torque rod) needs to be precision balanced when replaced. If not, the crank shaft vibrates and kills the bearings. Wonder if the tech didn't index it, or did so incorrectly, that's my guess.

And what of the fuel sending unit, who makes it, and why did it fail in the first place? Another gotta know question.

But I really hope the OP gets a new car, an engine replacement is probably going to devalue the resale/ trade allowance. The really scary part is whether GM is going to warranty it, or put accountability on the service dept, and leave the bill up to them.

v26278 11-21-2013 11:48 PM

Is it possible to rebuild an engine with a wrecked thrust bearing? If so there's no guarantee they put in a new engine, they might rebuild the ruined one. I would definitely not want that. Not all warranty work involves new components, rebuilds happen. Regardless, I'd push for the buy back

MikeK 11-22-2013 11:12 PM

Well, the speculation can stop. I just heard from dealer - worst news possible - they need to replace the engine. I am devastated.

Apparently they have been talking with GM and it has something to do with when the fuel sending unit was replaced. Because the driveline had to be removed to do that, upon reassembly the torque rod (or torque stick) needs to be aligned and/or torqued perfectly, otherwise it causes a problem with the thrush washer which apparently can then disintegrate and cause the crankshaft to have too much movement or something along those lines. At the end of the day all I know is that they need to replace my engine. I truly cannot believe this.

(I also spoke with the owner of a C7 in Colorado who also had his fuel sending unit replaced and then his car died - - he as been told the same thing - a new engine is required. This is unbelievable to me).

Y2K+1 Vette:
Found this on another forum...referring to your problem:

Driveline Support Alignment

GM TechLink has just announced that if the driveline is removed, there are special procedures for its reinstallation.

"If the driveline support (torque tube) is removed from the 2014 Corvette for any reason, special care must be taken to make sure the propeller shaft splines are in alignment with the front hub bearing. The Driveline Support (Fig. 7) must be aligned with the engine bell housing before attempting to tighten any attachment bolts.

TIP: The propeller input shaft front bearing positioning system is designed to withstand an insertion force of no more than 582 Y (130 lb). If the fastening bolts are used as an installation method, it may create force above this amount and damage the crankshaft thrust bearing.

When reinstalling the driveline support, the angle may be slightly off horizontally or vertically. This can make the driveline support difficult to align. Do not use the bell housing attachment bolts to draw the driveline support tight against the bell housing. Any small amount of misalignment may cause the input splines of the propeller shaft to catch on the crankshaft, driving it forward. If the engine is started in this condition, it may cause the crankshaft thrust bearing to be immediately worn, necessitating engine replacement.

Refer to the appropriate Service Information for complete procedures on alignment and installation of the driveline support to ensure that the propeller shaft is properly aligned to the front hub bearing."

Rob4092xx 11-23-2013 08:53 PM

Any update? Did you file a complaint with Customer Care?

Y2K+1 Vette 11-25-2013 09:22 AM

Sorry guys, sometimes due to work I'm not able to post, although I am able to still read all the threads and I appreciate all the input.

I'm told the replacement engine arrived last Friday and with the holidays they don't expect it to be done this week. I can tell you GM has taken the issue very seriously and I'm pleased with the response so far - they are stepping up to the plate. I hope with the bulletin described above that no one else has to go thru all of this. It is a nightmare for sure and being without the car is killing me.

Red Lightening 11-25-2013 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1585500239)
Y2K+1 Vette:
Found this on another forum...referring to your problem:

Driveline Support Alignment

GM TechLink has just announced that if the driveline is removed, there are special procedures for its reinstallation.

"If the driveline support (torque tube) is removed from the 2014 Corvette for any reason, special care must be taken to make sure the propeller shaft splines are in alignment with the front hub bearing. The Driveline Support (Fig. 7) must be aligned with the engine bell housing before attempting to tighten any attachment bolts.

TIP: The propeller input shaft front bearing positioning system is designed to withstand an insertion force of no more than 582 Y (130 lb). If the fastening bolts are used as an installation method, it may create force above this amount and damage the crankshaft thrust bearing.

When reinstalling the driveline support, the angle may be slightly off horizontally or vertically. This can make the driveline support difficult to align. Do not use the bell housing attachment bolts to draw the driveline support tight against the bell housing. Any small amount of misalignment may cause the input splines of the propeller shaft to catch on the crankshaft, driving it forward. If the engine is started in this condition, it may cause the crankshaft thrust bearing to be immediately worn, necessitating engine replacement.

Refer to the appropriate Service Information for complete procedures on alignment and installation of the driveline support to ensure that the propeller shaft is properly aligned to the front hub bearing."

Wow this is going to be tricky at best. They better fix this. Can you imagine how many motors will be wrecked 10 years from now when something goes wrong and the drive line is removed and it's not done by a GM dealer? Scary

vette4lyn 12-13-2013 01:43 PM

Again, what is the update here from the OP on the new engine install.

OP's last post was back on 11/25, almost 3 weeks ago.

Dealer can't possibly take 3 weeks to install the new engine and related components....... or can they?!

bpGx 12-13-2013 02:00 PM

ask GM to buy back

if you have gone with Porsche you wouldn't have this problem

sorry you have to go trough this we all here for you :)

Glen e 12-13-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by bpGx (Post 1585666837)
ask GM to buy back

if you have gone with Porsche you wouldn't have this problem

sorry you have to go trough this we all here for you :)

Hogwash, used to work for Porsche and bought several back...

Happens to all of them....

455230 12-13-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1585491737)
..... For these kind of issues to haunt the rollout is just shameful. Although, I really have to wonder how much falls directly on GM and how much falls on supplier QC issues.

I would ultimately lay these QC problems back in GM's lap....

I wonder how many of these problems are due to GM squeezing their suppliers on cost...in order to maintain profit targets.... because of the car's low pricing.

Kind of like getting the lowest price guy to do a job... and then being surprised at the poor workmanship and corner cutting.

PeterSG 12-13-2013 04:38 PM

:lurk:

NFexec 12-13-2013 06:26 PM

It sounds like the OP is letting them replace the engine. Is that true? Why aren't you pursuing the BBB option? Sounds like the best option to most of us? :confused2:

Doug

jkcam6017 12-13-2013 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by vette4lyn (Post 1585666706)
Dealer can't possibly take 3 weeks to install the new engine and related components....... or can they?!

Since the factory can't correct a lousy paint job in six weeks, 3 weeks for a dealer to install an engine would be almost the speed of light.

Bluewasp 12-13-2013 08:41 PM

Ouch. Hang in there

vette4lyn 12-29-2013 09:51 PM

OP:

With all due respect, the last we heard from you was on 11/25.

Is your C7 still at your dealer, or are you driving your C7 with a new engine?

Many of us have followed and commented on your situation, and we would like to have some sort of closure on this issue, just as you have expressed that you would as well.

JHNORCO 12-29-2013 10:58 PM

yes please tell us what happened.

ta70raiii 12-29-2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by JHNORCO (Post 1585786157)
yes please tell us what happened.

:iagree:

Hopefully all is well by now.

bbrown450 12-29-2013 11:33 PM

Wow I have been tracking this that sucks. I had GM buy back my 13 ATS, personally I would not sit for them dropping a new engine in my car on principle alone. My suggestion to the OP would not to mention BBB or lawyer, the minute you do they stop negotiating...stick to your guns, you are the customer and it effects more than just your relationship!!
Best of luck

bevo_87 12-29-2013 11:45 PM

I looked up the OP and he has not been on the board since November, so not sure if we will ever know what happened.

LT1xL82 12-30-2013 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bevo_87 (Post 1585786474)
I looked up the OP and he has not been on the board since November, so not sure if we will ever know what happened.

Maybe there is a non-disclosure?

hiperfman 12-30-2013 01:45 PM

So what is the big deal of replacing the motor under warranty with a new engine. As far as collectable these won't be for many many years. :D

RJRSW 12-30-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by hiperf406 (Post 1585789870)
So what is the big deal of replacing the motor under warranty with a new engine. As far as collectable these won't be for many many years. :D

To some buyers, like myself, a major component warramty replacement showing up on a GMVIS report can be a red flag as to possible abuse. It may not be the case but why take a chance with so many available to choose from that haven't had problems. The other thing is that how do you know if all the work was done properly and there will be other problems popping up later related to replacing a major component.

I have bought and sold around 25 vettes over the years and for the last few I bought I always get the GMVIS run before ever making an offer. I found some really nice appearing vette converts that the original owners said they never had any problem but when I pulled the report found they had lied and that one had been in multiple times during the time they owned it for power top problems and on another that car had been in many times for traction control problems.

The replacement can hurt resale later either in value or saleability.

DALE#3 12-30-2013 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585428341)
Sorry to report that I've now experienced my second major problem wiht my C7. My car is an early VIN (low 300s) and first problem was a bad fuel sending unit which had to be replaced with only 40 miles on the car and took 5 days.

This morning on way to work (670 miles on car) it just dies when coming to a stop. The RPMs just dropped down to zero and it died. Put it in park and started it again (although it didn't want to start). Did same thing at next stop light. Again, it didn't want to re-start, but it did. So I figured I would try to limp home, trying to keep the RPM up when slowing (mine is an automatic) by putting in neutral. Needless to say I didn't make it home and it died in the middle of the road and would not start. Had to get it towed to a local dealer and there it sits for now. We will see what they say.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. I started loooking thru the issues thread, but there are so many pages now I figured I would try a separate post. Many thanks for your time.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585428724)
Pretty sure it is not out of fuel. I recently filled up and always keep an eye on the fuel range. It shouldn't be anywhere close to empty.

Also when I tried to re-start it each time it really seemed like the battery was dead or there was some electrical issue. It couldn't even try to crank. No word from dealer yet although I did give them the info on the prior problem when I dropped it off. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585430058)
Ok, I looked at the referenced post and that seems scary. Sounds like he also had the fuel sending unit replaced and then had a problem similar to mine today. I sent him a private message asking if he might have any more information.

I wish I could have taken the car back to the dealer who replaced the fuel sending unit, but they are 60-70 miles away (I went to them b/c they are supposed to have great service and I was treated very well). Because I had to get the car towed today, it just went to the local dealer. I've suggested the two talk, but we will see.

Thanks for all the info!! Keep it coming.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585430509)
Kelly:

I appreciate the offer, and would welcome any help you are able to provide. Last time I PM'd you with all the applicable info and never heard anything back until after the car had already been returned (asking what was the status – so I presume you never got involved with the dealer or anything). I will send you another PM with the info again and if you can do anything to help in the process it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585430630)
Dealer called and say they have opened up a case with GM. They want to start by replacing the starter - which doesn't really make sense to me, but he says that is what GM wants to do first (said something like it is drawing amps from the battery and it shouldn't be??). I'm no tech so I have to rely on them (and what I learn from the Forum).

Again, the problem just happened when I was driving down the road and slowing down for a light. The RPMs just went to zero and it died. Got it started twice after that (barely) but then it wouldn't even come close to turning over.

How embarassing have a brand new car that everyone wants to ask about and having to tell them it's in the shop again - - and then you get the cracks about Chevy quality. I still love the car and the brand, but boy do things like this take the wind out of your sails.

Always appreciate any info and insight from Forum members. Keep it coming. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585438490)
Thanks guys . . . . still trying to process.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585458097)
Thanks for all the input and support. I am still reeling from all of this. Stopped in this morning to see service manager but he wasn't in yet. Waiting to hear something from GM Customer Care. This is crazy.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585467992)
Still waiting to hear from GM and/or dealer. No updates as of yet.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585516734)
Sorry guys, sometimes due to work I'm not able to post, although I am able to still read all the threads and I appreciate all the input.

I'm told the replacement engine arrived last Friday and with the holidays they don't expect it to be done this week. I can tell you GM has taken the issue very seriously and I'm pleased with the response so far - they are stepping up to the plate. I hope with the bulletin described above that no one else has to go thru all of this. It is a nightmare for sure and being without the car is killing me.

The SCORE is OP:10posts
The FORUM:140 PLUS POSTS
Is it real???? WHATS THE DEAL?? Nice,Only wanted to chat when he needed someone to Vent with....That's ok one-way..Maybe next year?:yesnod:

2006c6keller 12-31-2013 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1585429664)
Tell your dealer to check the crankshaft position sensor.

I had that problem on my 06 C6 A6, dealer replaced it and it has run ever since. Later I had stumbling problems, water in the gas and used "water elimator" in gas tank and solved this problem.

billbunton 12-31-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by hiperf406 (Post 1585789870)

Mine's being replaced due to a coolant leak. My concerns are diminished value on sale/trade, and (more importantly) is the tech going to do everything correctly.

Y2K+1 Vette 01-06-2014 02:32 PM

Update

To All:

First, I apologize for not posting in a while. Between work, the holidays, family health issues, dealing with the car problems and working with GM and the dealer(s), I didn’t get back on the Forum very often and also was not sure what to tell you since I didn’t really have any answers.

I do sincerely appreciate the help and input from almost everyone here. There will always be a few who try to stir up trouble or speculate on the next conspiracy theory. For the most part, however, everyone on here has been very helpful and supportive and this is a great forum for sharing information, ideas, etc.

Here’s the deal. Local dealer replaced the engine and I got the car back in early December. Prior to that I had a case opened up with GM about the problem and apparently there was a good bit of discussion between GM, its engineers, my local dealer (not the one who sold me the car, nor the one who first worked on the fuel sending problem), etc. By the time I picked up the repaired car, GM had agreed to replace the car with a carbon copy of the old one. I must say, the Corvette guy I was able to speak with really stepped up to the plate. He understood how some of us view these cars and how we take care of them. He was a class act. I also understand there were other GM folks behind the scenes who obviously must have taken this issue seriously and I’m sure were helpful in trying to find a resolution. It is a large corporation, however, and getting things figured out and deciphered down to a local dealer does take time and does require a good bit of following up and following through. I just picked up the new car and drove it into work today. So hopeful that I won’t have any more problems.

Here’s the kicker. The night before I was to turn in the old car so I could pick up the new one, I’m driving downtown at night, in the rain when I come up to an intersection and the car dies. The RPM just drop to zero and it died. Put it in park to try and start it and nothing – very similar to when the engine died previously. Car wouldn’t even try to start. Doors would not open and windows would not work (although they would index – but that’s all – and the flashers seemed to work). Another long story which I won’t get into, but in the end the car was towed to the local dealer and that is where it currently sits. I have no idea if it is the same problem as before or a different one, and who knows if I will ever learn what happened.

I now have a new car which I hope will be trouble free. The process was long and difficult and I wish it upon no one. I still love the car and the brand. Corvettes are awesome cars and I’m proud to own one. I wish everyone with a C7 (actually all Vette owners) only the best experience with their cars, realizing that sometimes problems happen. In the end, however, it is a car and dealing with it is not like dealing with a family member who has been diagnosed with cancer or the like, dealing with the loss of a loved one, or dealing with some other real-life tragedy. While difficult to see at times, perspective always has its place.

Thanks again to everyone for their information, ideas and support - - this Forum has a lot to offer. Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy New Year !

Rob4092xx 01-06-2014 02:36 PM

As I stated in my previous posts on this Thread, GM typically comes through with a new vehicle. Not always pleasant, but they normally come through! Try this with a Dodge product!

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585847206)
To All:

First, I apologize for not posting in a while. Between work, the holidays, family health issues, dealing with the car problems and working with GM and the dealer(s), I didn’t get back on the Forum very often and also was not sure what to tell you since I didn’t really have any answers.

I do sincerely appreciate the help and input from almost everyone here. There will always be a few who try to stir up trouble or speculate on the next conspiracy theory. For the most part, however, everyone on here has been very helpful and supportive and this is a great forum for sharing information, ideas, etc.

Here’s the deal. Local dealer replaced the engine and I got the car back in early December. Prior to that I had a case opened up with GM about the problem and apparently there was a good bit of discussion between GM, its engineers, my local dealer (not the one who sold me the car, nor the one who first worked on the fuel sending problem), etc. By the time I picked up the repaired car, GM had agreed to replace the car with a carbon copy of the old one. I must say, the Corvette guy I was able to speak with really stepped up to the plate. He understood how some of us view these cars and how we take care of them. He was a class act. I also understand there were other GM folks behind the scenes who obviously must have taken this issue seriously and I’m sure were helpful in trying to find a resolution. It is a large corporation, however, and getting things figured out and deciphered down to a local dealer does take time and does require a good bit of following up and following through. I just picked up the new car and drove it into work today. So hopeful that I won’t have any more problems.

Here’s the kicker. The night before I was to turn in the old car so I could pick up the new one, I’m driving downtown at night, in the rain when I come up to an intersection and the car dies. The RPM just drop to zero and it died. Put it in park to try and start it and nothing – very similar to when the engine died previously. Car wouldn’t even try to start. Doors would not open and windows would not work (although they would index – but that’s all – and the flashers seemed to work). Another long story which I won’t get into, but in the end the car was towed to the local dealer and that is where it currently sits. I have no idea if it is the same problem as before or a different one, and who knows if I will ever learn what happened.

I now have a new car which I hope will be trouble free. The process was long and difficult and I wish it upon no one. I still love the car and the brand. Corvettes are awesome cars and I’m proud to own one. I wish everyone with a C7 (actually all Vette owners) only the best experience with their cars, realizing that sometimes problems happen. In the end, however, it is a car and dealing with it is not like dealing with a family member who has been diagnosed with cancer or the like, dealing with the loss of a loved one, or dealing with some other real-life tragedy. While difficult to see at times, perspective always has its place.

Thanks again to everyone for their information, ideas and support - - this Forum has a lot to offer. Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy New Year !

Cruiter 01-06-2014 02:40 PM

Nicely written closure :thumbs:. May the New Year offer lots of interesting and happy miles.

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette (Post 1585847206)
To All:

AORoads 01-06-2014 02:42 PM

Wow! Someone at GM decides to give you an exact copy of your existing car, and just before you turn it in (with its new engine) it dies on you. Thank goodness you got to give it back, even if it required a tow.

Good luck and thanks for coming back on with the update. I also know about holiday bad news re relatives and health. :cheers:

HogwildC7 01-06-2014 02:58 PM

congrats on fixing the problem.

billsblue73 01-06-2014 03:52 PM

I'm glad this has worked out. I'll start looking for you in the Windermere/Gotha area.:willy:

dwbaalmann 01-06-2014 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx (Post 1585847238)
As I stated in my previous posts on this Thread, GM typically comes through with a new vehicle. Not always pleasant, but they normally come through! Try this with a Dodge product!

Couldn't agree more regarding Dodge. I had a '96 Neon as a DD back when I owned a C4 and had one problem after another with it. I discovered an "unpublished" recall (regarding the head gasket being defective) from a mechanic during one problem. It was supposed to be warranted up to 100,000 miles. I had just over 50,000 when I contacted them. According to the deal, I'd have to pay for the part (about $100) and they would install it. They refused it on the basis that my car was 6 years old. It really wasn't worth it for me to fix it, so I drove it a couple more years before the gasket gave way. At that point I swore to never buy another Chrysler product and it's worked out great. I've had a Honda Accord since and haven't had a single problem with it.

To the OP, glad to hear it work out. Enjoy your new C7!

vette4lyn 01-06-2014 05:37 PM

Thanks for the updates.

Great write up, and hopefully an end to this story.

Joe_A 01-06-2014 07:21 PM

Thank You for the update.
Glad to hear they did right by you
Enjoy the new car :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: