CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Shhhhh Don't Tell GM but I Got A Chance To Drive A C7 Yesterday... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3325048-shhhhh-dont-tell-gm-but-i-got-a-chance-to-drive-a-c7-yesterday.html)

vig1116 08-18-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6 (Post 1584699909)
A GM exec told me that the tail lights are that way to have a common theme among Chevy. Ed Wellbornes idea. No one can stand up to him.

well, thats just stupid now, isn't it?? Why would you want your signature all american sports car to be on the same level as your classic family car???? goes to show you, even people in high ranking positions can be dumb.....

red2012 08-18-2013 02:08 PM

His claim of the Z-51 option feels stiff. How would he know how stiff it really is unless he drove another non Z-51 optioned C7 to compare it to? Every time some one called him out on how he got to drive one the subject was evaded. This whole post sounds fishy and the part of don't tell GM I drove one? What is this some James Bond sh***t.

Steve_R 08-18-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584700743)
His claim of the Z-51 option feels stiff. How would he know unless he drove another non Z-51 optioned C7 to compare it to? Every time some one called him out on how he got to drive one the subject was evaded. This whole post sounds fishy and the part of don't tell GM I drove one? What is this some James Bond sh***t.

This. And what's with all the C7 threads started here that begin with "I know this is the wrong forum, but I'm special so I'm posting it here anyway?"

R&L's C6 08-18-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584699983)
^ Why come on with a story about driving a C7, and offer absolutely no info as to how that happened? Does this seem odd????

:confused2:

Why no, no it doesn't....:rolleyes:

articwhitec6 08-18-2013 03:13 PM

Who cares, blah blah blah.

SkyTopp 08-18-2013 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1584700411)
SkyTopp ....

You never did tell us where you were allowed to drive this C7.

How about giving us some details in order to make your claim a little more believable ... Were all ears

A GM employee that im related to has the car right now for testing a glitch in one of the cars systems he had a hand in designing. It's a car that now has a third generation version of the part that was going wrong but it appears the third time is the charm. He wanted me to listen to something while driving and get my opinion if the sound was annoying or not. The sounds I heard were nothing but good! :thumbs:

Turbo6TA 08-18-2013 03:39 PM

Thank you

SkyTopp 08-18-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584700743)
His claim of the Z-51 option feels stiff. How would he know how stiff it really is unless he drove another non Z-51 optioned C7 to compare it to? Every time some one called him out on how he got to drive one the subject was evaded. This whole post sounds fishy and the part of don't tell GM I drove one? What is this some James Bond sh***t.

I own a non Z51 C6 and against my car this is pretty bone jarring. I myself wouldn't order it I don't track my cars and after awhile I would get tired of the harshness. For some it might be fine but its not for me.

red2012 08-18-2013 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SkyTopp (Post 1584701285)
I own a non Z51 C6 and against my car this is pretty bone jarring. I myself wouldn't order it I don't track my cars and after awhile I would get tired of the harshness. For some it might be fine but its not for me.

Cool now were talking. You have to realize on this forum we like some kind of info to back up what your saying especially anything as far fetched as driving a C7.. You had to know we would be calling for blood when you started this thread with out some kind of info to at least substantiate your post.

Landru 08-18-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6 (Post 1584699909)
A GM exec told me that the tail lights are that way to have a common theme among Chevy. Ed Wellbornes idea.

I figured it out after thinking about Ford, how everything Ford designed in the early 90s (think Tuarus) had oval lights, interior gauges etc. Theme carried over to all Ford's product line.

Wondering of ol' Ed didn't work at Ford sometime earlier in his career.

SenseiDave 08-18-2013 04:23 PM

Tough crowd here! I was happy to read the OP. Thanks for posting it. I agree with the style points. I'd like to like the C-7 but I'm not there yet. And yes, it's the back end that really put me off it. I waited to see it and once I did, I bought my GS. Very happy with it. I went by the Museum last week ad was disappointed to see that they don't have a C-7 on display. I expected to get my first look at one in person. Too bad.

nous defions 08-18-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1584701503)
I figured it out after thinking about Ford, how everything Ford designed in the early 90s (think Tuarus) had oval lights, interior gauges etc. Theme carried over to all Ford's product line.

Wondering of ol' Ed didn't work at Ford sometime earlier in his career.

Mr. Welburn has been with GM since 1972. He did not work for Ford - or any other car company - previous to that.

Landru 08-18-2013 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by nous defions (Post 1584701553)
Mr. Welburn has been with GM since 1972. He did not work for Ford - or any other car company - previous to that.

Got it. :cheers:
But, he'd sure have fit-in at Ford considering his styling philosophy. :D

Z09SS 08-18-2013 04:41 PM

The tail-lights issue reminds me of the kitten-birthing from the change from retractable headlights way back when the C6 was new.

SkyTopp 08-18-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z09SS (Post 1584701694)
The tail-lights issue reminds me of the kitten-birthing from the change from retractable headlights way back when the C6 was new.

Well when C6 arrived I didnt like it much then and I still dont like some of the styling aspects today when I look at my car at some angles they will never please everyone. However I think the C7s rear end is Vile! and totally inappropriate for a Corvette. I will end up buying one in The future but im going to have a real hard time with that goofy looking a$$ end. Im hoping they may soften it up some in the future and make it less cluttered and busy looking.

Turbo6TA 08-18-2013 05:24 PM

I would have liked round tail lights on the C7 better, but the rectangular ones really are not that bad.

What I don't like is all that black on the rear ... I guess it only looks ok on a black C7. On any other color, it just looks way too 'busy' back there ... kind of a 'In Your Face' kit car look that wasn't thought out too well.

oh well

dozing4dollars 08-18-2013 05:25 PM

Sky Topp,

Thank You for taking the time to post your quick impressions review of the C7. :thumbs:

Mad*Max 08-18-2013 05:33 PM

thanks for the review...the more I think I of about it, the more I realize that GM saved me a bunch of money with the ugly rear end 'cause I will wait for the C8 and drive my beautiful Victory Red C6 in the meantime:lol:

John Harry 08-18-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1584701993)
What I don't like is all that black on the rear ... I guess it only looks ok on a black C7. On any other color, it just looks way too 'busy' back there ... kind of a 'In Your Face' kit car look that wasn't thought out too well.

My complaint exactly. I've no problem with different, but busy/tacky is not good.

VET4LES 08-18-2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Red08 (Post 1584700371)
Part of that is, I think, the need for advertising dollars. If magazine writers were too harsh and critical of the new car, GM may react and spend less advertising $'s. It's all about the money.

No question about it.
I don't like the rear end. :ack: