CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Shhhhh Don't Tell GM but I Got A Chance To Drive A C7 Yesterday... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3325048-shhhhh-dont-tell-gm-but-i-got-a-chance-to-drive-a-c7-yesterday.html)

Big Dan 427 08-20-2013 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by kdepew (Post 1584713522)
I agree with alot of others that the rear is horrible. I guess we have Tom Peters and Ed W. to blame for that. Someone on this thread suggested those responsible for the rear should be fired. I think Tom and Ed should be looking for new jobs (hopefully jobs that don't involve the design of sports cars).

I am surprised that it seems like GM thinks all the complaints are just because they didn't use round taillights. I don't think the actual taillights look bad. I think the rest of the back is attrocious. The mascara vents are rediculous. The black diffuser going so high up on the back is horrible. The rear is just bad. I definitely think that rear could be a deal breaker for alot of potential buyers. For the most part I like the look of the C7. The one thing I don't think I could ever live with is the rear.

GM designed a polarizing rear end. I know they say they wanted to take a risk, but I can't believe they are happy with how polarizing that rear is (of course they will never admit it). If they knew the response would be what it has been, I don't think it would look the way it does. If they really think it is all just traditionalist who want round rear lights (which I understand those who would have liked round rear lights), then I think they are missing the point. It is an ugly rear and would still be ugly whether it had round, square, or whatever shaped rear lights.

If enough people don't like it and it hurts sales, maybe GM will eventually take the complaints serious and redesign it. It wouldn't be hard to come up with something better. It would be unusual to get a significant redesign mid-life, but it is unusual for the Corvette team to put out anything like that rear.

I'm sure there are initial complaints with every generation design, but I don't think the complaints about the rear of this car are like those on previous generations. There are various complaints about other aspects of the design, but I think the general opinion is positive on most of the car. There are those who state they like the rear. There are those that state the rear has grown on them. However, there are also ALOT of people who absolutely hate that rear. Someone at GM approved the design of the Pontiac Aztec. That was a failure. While the C7 Corvette is no Pontiac Aztec, I think the rear styling is almost as bad.

Couldn't have said it better!!:thumbs:

Rebel 1 08-20-2013 06:33 AM

The C6 IMO is one of the most beautiful Vettes ever produced. That C7 abomination ranks under the C4. Maybe GM will offer something better in a year or two.

R&L's C6 08-20-2013 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel 1 (Post 1584713786)
The C6 IMO is one of the most beautiful Vettes ever produced. That C7 abomination ranks under the C4. Maybe GM will offer something better in a year or two.

:iagree:

But this is looking pretty damn good too....:rock::rock:

Attachment 47733295

vet55 08-20-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by matthewelle (Post 1584713474)
Da Supervettes crew is promoting this as a solution to the C7 rear woes:
http://i.pgu.me/LygfBNxK_original.jpg

Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout.
True American innovation at work!
Ask and ye' shall receive.

You soften those edges a little
more to take away the BMW
flare and you've got it!

Why couldn't GM do that?:rock:

Mad*Max 08-20-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel 1 (Post 1584713786)
The C6 IMO is one of the most beautiful Vettes ever produced. .

JC7 08-20-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kingspoke (Post 1584703417)

Try cleaning the black by the tail lights, looks cheap to me! The rear COULD HAVE BEEN A HIT! Bottomline a REAL MISS!!! Butt Ugly to me!:smash:

direct007 08-20-2013 09:48 AM

This is 1000% better. It isn't just the tailights, but the whole backend that doesn't flow with the rest of the car. The tail end in this pic would deft solve the issues.

not08crmanymore 08-20-2013 10:24 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...3b72cacf17.jpg The problem with this is that unfortunately it only looks good from a side view..why?BECAUSE the rear abomination is not seen.If it were just the rear end that was the problem that would be one thing, but it's the car as a whole that just does not work.Unless one buys it and always looks at it from the side view,one can't miss the butt ugly car that it is.Not to mention that it's only 460 HP...7.5 LBS per hp.Nowhere near enough of a jump to overcome the cosmetic butcher job.

SkyTopp 08-20-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore (Post 1584715196)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...3b72cacf17.jpg The problem with this is that unfortunately it only looks good from a side view..why?BECAUSE the rear abomination is not seen.If it were just the rear end that was the problem that would be one thing, but it's the car as a whole that just does not work.Unless one buys it and always looks at it from the side view,one can't miss the butt ugly car that it is.Not to mention that it's only 460 HP...7.5 LBS per hp.Nowhere near enough of a jump to overcome the cosmetic butcher job.

:iagree: The rear end styling of C7 is Vile looking compared to the rest of the design. I can't imagine how that tail got approved for production. The C7 makes me sad when I look at it from the rear.

Hameister 08-20-2013 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore (Post 1584715196)
...Not to mention that it's only 460 HP...7.5 LBS per hp.Nowhere near enough of a jump to overcome the cosmetic butcher job.

:lol: Sorry, but every time I hear someone complain that 460 HP is not enough, it gives me a chuckle.

And, adding that 460 HP isn't enough to overcome the rear end, gives me a real ol' fashioned belly laugh.

Hey, I'm not a fan of the ass end of the thing either, but come on...let's keep things in perspective.

VatorMan 08-20-2013 11:15 AM

:lol::lol::lol: You guys are old.

https://threadless-media.s3.amazonaw...1fd98ebd79.jpg

WinnipegC5 08-20-2013 12:11 PM

I think the c5 Z (exterior) is the best looking vette to date. But that’s just my opinion. :canadaflag:

I am in the market for a c6 Z for the performance upgrades and somewhat of a better interior. The c7 interior looks amazing. It’s about time gm stepped up their game in the interior department. It actually looks like a interior designed for a supercar. As long as they don’t put the same interior in their 2014 cobats, they have two thumbs up from me.

not08crmanymore 08-20-2013 12:25 PM

Sorry, but every time I hear someone complain that 460 HP is not enough, it gives me a chuckle.

And, adding that 460 HP isn't enough to overcome the rear end, gives me a real ol' fashioned belly laugh.

Hey, I'm not a fan of the ass end of the thing either, but come on...let's keep things in perspective.
If you read what I wrote in the context it was written you'd see that what I said was that 460 hp isn't enough of a jump to overcome the ugly factor of the whole car not just the rear end. Enjoy your old fashioned belly laugh..:thumbs:

Boomer111 08-20-2013 03:02 PM

All I have to say is the view from the rear is a deal breaker for me from the initial viewing.

Not crazy about the dash either.

The interior uppgrade in materials nice as are the seats.

I am sure it will be accepted as it gets seen on the streets more.

But the rear is really bad....

jb_va2001 08-20-2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SkyTopp (Post 1584698553)

... [snip] ...

If I could drive it blind folded I don't think I could really tell the difference between C6 and C7.

... [snip] ...

That one sentence pretty much sums it up.

People will buy a C7 if they like the styling better (some will), they want to be the first kid on the block with the new Corvette (many will in 2014), some will succumb to the GM marketing hype, or it might just the the right timing in their life. (They are simply in the market for a new Corvette and all the leftover C6 have been sold.)

Aviator 08-20-2013 06:09 PM

How did this become a thread about the looks of the C7, when it's about a troll who says he drove a C7 with no proof?

ladder13 08-20-2013 06:15 PM

Anyone keeping track of the negative posters? Will they be in the C7 section in a few years? :lol:

ProfessorDeath 08-20-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by vet55 (Post 1584714390)
Why couldn't GM do that?:rock:

Because to me, that rear end is worse than the 4 semi-vertical taillights from another thread. Truly disgusting.

The C7 rear end is not ideal, I think we can all agree, but it is not a make-or-break proposition for what is sure to be a hit sports car.

Personally, I will have a C7 at some point in the future, but right now it's just an unnecessary expense.

(to no one in particular)If you prefer your C6, that's fine too, but don't come in bashing/praising the C7, demanding others respect your opinions, then turn around and bash their own opinions, essentially perpetrating the same offense you just took issue with, simply because they differ from yours. It's very childish, and only serves to withdraw any semblance of wit or intelligent conversation.

Purdue 08-20-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ladder13 (Post 1584719238)
Anyone keeping track of the negative posters? Will they be in the C7 section in a few years? :lol:

^^This :yesnod:

kdepew 08-20-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ladder13 (Post 1584719238)

In a few years will we see there have been a higher percentage of black C7 Corvettes sold than at any point in history because black helps hide some of the C7 rear ugliness?

jb_va2001 08-20-2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by kdepew (Post 1584720639)
In a few years will we see there have been a higher percentage of black C7 Corvettes sold than at any point in history because black helps hide some of the C7 rear ugliness?

I expect body color painted rear valance, or a carbon fiber valence, will be common customizations to the base C7.

Rebel 1 08-21-2013 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584713835)

But this is looking pretty damn good too....:rock::rock:

Attachment 47733295

Ok you goaded me into it....that is the Only View that looks good if can get past the side windows. Problem is, have to look at the Rest of the car at some point:ack:

Hameister 08-21-2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by jb_va2001 (Post 1584719138)
That one sentence pretty much sums it up.

People will buy a C7 if they like the styling better (some will), they want to be the first kid on the block with the new Corvette (many will in 2014), some will succumb to the GM marketing hype, or it might just the the right timing in their life. (They are simply in the market for a new Corvette and all the leftover C6 have been sold.)

I agree...For me personally, an option to color code the rear body panel, a less busy, analog instrument cluster like the C6, and no quasi rear 1/4 glass, would make the car attractive enough to purchase.

However, having said that, I was at my local dealer a few days ago, and they tell me they're doing everything they can, to get as many C7s as possible, because they know they won't be able to keep them in stock. They say in this area, they are expecting a large demand.

Only time will tell. I hope the C7 is wildly successful. It would mean positive things for GM, the industry, the economy, and eventually all of us as well.

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 1584719181)
How did this become a thread about the looks of the C7, when it's about a troll who says he drove a C7 with no proof?

Good question, damned if I know? :confused2:

blackfd 08-21-2013 10:19 AM

I wonder when the super sport tires will be available in runflat separately for us

JohnnyMac1 08-21-2013 11:04 AM

I was waiting on the C7 to come out and greatly looking forward to it after owning 3 C6's. When I saw the renderings online I traded my GS for a 427. The new car is tacky at best and the WHOLE rear end is a TOTAL F*CKING DISASTER. There are a few of us who say what needs to be said about this car regardless of the whiplash from the juvenile C7 fanbois.
I've also bought like 8 new Silverados in the past 9 years and don't like the new Silverado either so I just bought a 2013. Tom Peters again! Look at the new rear end of the camaro? Whats up with that? Looks like an old Prelude. I don't have the answers of what I'm going to do yet but if this is chevys new direction I'll be buying something else.

ladder13 08-21-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by kdepew (Post 1584720639)

Can I put you down for a maybe? :rofl::lol:

noz34me 08-21-2013 12:26 PM

GM said it. This design is for the younger set. A video game instrument cluster and Vader looks. Good for them.
At my age thank God there should be plenty of lightly used C6's left to get me through.

Vetteman Jack 08-21-2013 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1584699616)
I think it looks better in person than pics....can't believe everyone is hung up on the back end....

people crack me up...."OMG they didn't change the car at all" (C5 to C6)

now...."OMG they ruined the car it doesn't have standard Corvette tail lights"

:crazy:

I agree. Some people will go to their graves griping about the taillights.

Big Dan 427 08-21-2013 12:38 PM

It's called entitlement.

Chevy Cust Svc 08-21-2013 01:05 PM

Yea yea I know this is the C6 forum but as a fellow C6 owner I thought you would like to hear my opinion of it. Here is the poop. The car does feel a bit faster off the line but not shockingly so. The steering feel is wonderful very surprised at this. I really don't like the dash cluster much they should have gone all analog or all digital reminds me to much of a C4 dash the setting method is very fiddley. The engine idle is smoother less lumpy than C6. The car seems quieter and you can feel the extra stiffness in the body. Improvements aside you still know you are driving a Corvette. If I could drive it blind folded I don't think I could really tell the difference between C6 and C7. The Z51 option seems a bit to stiff for me. The styling is nice but the rear end is truly a disaster of goofy shapes that just don't work we'll together it really needs fixing. I found it difficult to see well rearward out that small rear hatch. The car is a step forward in most directions and I could get really excited about it if only the rear end were as attractive as the front view honestly I think someone at GM should get fired over that ridiculous looking rear end. Otherwise it's a new Corvette so what's not to like! :thumbs:

Hey sky,

You do know we are on the forum right? :D I am glad you enjoyed yourself! There are a few C7's being driven by GM executives for different reasons. It's great you got to experience the C7 so soon.

When I was lucky enough to be in the drivers seat of the C7, I didn't notice the rear end. The interior and everything else is just so amazing! :thumbs:

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Corvettinator 08-21-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1584701993)
I would have liked round tail lights on the C7 better, but the rectangular ones really are not that bad.

Here's the thing. Yes, we have come to expect and love round taillights on the Vette. But there are actually some good-looking rectangular taillights out there. Here's a hint: Look at the C7's headlights. The taillights just happen to be fugly, regardless of the shape. There are plenty of Euro cars out there with good-looking rectangular-ish taillights.

The C7 rear end reminds me of some evil bug.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/outer-bug.jpg

Top_Fuel 08-21-2013 01:22 PM

...don't like the dash cluster much...reminds me too much of a C4...

I think I can get over the bodywork...not so sure about the cluster. Just hearing "C4" mentioned in the same sentence has me somewhat concerned. :leaving:

sam90lx 08-21-2013 01:37 PM

To bad the Pontiac Asstek C7 design team at GM could not have come up with this!

jb_va2001 08-21-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel (Post 1584726052)
I think I can get over the bodywork...not so sure about the cluster. Just hearing "C4" mentioned in the same sentence has me somewhat concerned. :leaving:

I haven't looked at the C7 dash myself, but isn't it configurable to different looks?

Top_Fuel 08-21-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jb_va2001 (Post 1584726488)
...isn't it configurable to different looks?

Yes. Here's the C7 dash set to "performance driving mode"...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...-pic-58486.jpg

:rofl: :lol: :spit:

OK...seriously...check out this link...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/c...deo/#continued

simplegto 08-21-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1584725638)
I agree. Some people will go to their graves griping about the taillights.

Not the taillights for me it is all the black plastic. Looks like it went and forgot to wipe.:crazy:

jb_va2001 08-21-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel (Post 1584726560)

OK...seriously...check out this link...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/c...deo/#continued

Thanks. I see plenty of gauge options I would enjoy using. Looks cool, too. I'm not sure why people would complain. It's not like the C7 has one gauge mode that actually looks like a C4.

Cheers, :cheers:
JB

Corvettinator 08-21-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584725680)
It's called entitlement.

Right, people are entitled to their opinion about the new Corvette.

I've vowed to stay away from the C7 section and not rain on the parade of C7 fans, but if these threads pop up in C6, WTH.

not08crmanymore 08-21-2013 10:57 PM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...-pic-58486.jpg This was space age back in it's day.I still like it!! :rock::rock::rock:

Kingspoke 08-22-2013 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kingspoke (Post 1584710364)
I'm thinking they kinda boxed themselves in with the rear end and then compromised with the lights. Who knows?

Hey, I was reviewing, "Everything you always wanted to know" about the C7 Stingray, and it seems that Tadge somewhat reaffirms my thoughts on how the design tearm arrived at the rear light styling. Go to 16:40! His position is also consistent with Tom Peters down to the phraseology.

Big Dan 427 08-22-2013 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Corvettinator (Post 1584730799)
Right, people are entitled to their opinion about the new Corvette.

I've vowed to stay away from the C7 section and not rain on the parade of C7 fans, but if these threads pop up in C6, WTH.

:thumbs: