CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] More Z06 Woes.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3271048-more-z06-woes.html)

FrankTank 05-14-2013 09:18 AM

More Z06 Woes....

Well after having spent all that money upgrading heads, mods and a tune, now the car is making a whining noise :( (almost like a car where power steering is going or is low on fluid, but I checked and fluid is not low and no leakage)

It just started last night, got louder this morning when driving to work so I turned around went home a dropped the car off, picked up my beater to drive to work.

What bothers me is that my C5 made a similar noise just before the balancer bolt just about shot through the radiator and I know the C6's have the same issue. :crazy: :toetap:

I will say the noise is not present when the Car is in Neutral, and I slightly rev the engine...it happens once I start driving the car in 1st, and going through the gears,, so it could be tranny related I don't know. Again, my C5 had very similar symptoms , slight rev not under load , no noise , start driving and it would whine.

If this is another big dollar repair...I am done with the car. I had moved on from the head issue, was not happy about being proactive , but accepted and moved on now this...... it's hard because the car just keeps giving me reasons to get rid of it and get another toy... SRT Challenger or Mustang or something else. What's even more aggravating is that I purposely did not do a cam or any big mods persay because I wanted to stay close to stock and avoid any problems and enjoy the car. Car has stock cam in it, so the motor has never even been opened.

Not a happy camper., and those that know me locally, this is on par wtih my luck with cars etc..

propain 05-14-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583895904)
Well after having spent all that money upgrading heads, mods and a tune, now the car is making a whining noise :( (almost like a car where power steering is going or is low on fluid, but I checked and fluid is not low and no leakage)

It just started last night, got louder this morning when driving to work so I turned around went home a dropped the car off, picked up my beater to drive to work.

What bothers me is that my C5 made a similar noise just before the balancer bolt just about shot through the radiator and I know the C6's have the same issue. :crazy: :toetap:

I will say the noise is not present when the Car is in Neutral, and I slightly rev the engine...it happens once I start driving the car in 1st, and going through the gears,, so it could be tranny related I don't know. Again, my C5 had very similar symptoms , slight rev not under load , no noise , start driving and it would whine.

If this is another big dollar repair...I am done with the car. I had moved on from the head issue, was not happy about being proactive , but accepted and moved on now this...... it's hard because the car just keeps giving me reasons to get rid of it and get another toy... SRT Challenger or Mustang or something else. What's even more aggravating is that I purposely did not do a cam or any big mods persay because I wanted to stay close to stock and avoid any problems and enjoy the car. Car has stock cam in it, so the motor has never even been opened.

Not a happy camper., and those that know me locally, this is on par wtih my luck with cars etc..

Sorry to hear this.

Was the AC on?

04_Z06_CE 05-14-2013 09:26 AM

Sorry to hear about that. Good luck. It's for sure frustrating.

FrankTank 05-14-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583895975)
Sorry to hear this.

Was the AC on?

Nope, I have been emailing the tech that works on my car this morning, he told me to unplug the alternator while car is running and see if that has any effect, I am at work now so can't look more into it yet.

I looked at the crank bolt and pulley while the car was running, maybe its just m e being paranoid but it seem to be moving quite a bit, but again hard to tell, I was in a hurry and needed to get to work :ack:

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE (Post 1583895980)
Sorry to hear about that. Good luck. It's for sure frustrating.

Silver05GTO 05-14-2013 09:34 AM

Nothing is more frustrating and saps the fun out of car ownership then mechanical troubles, hope its nothing serious. Looking back I think the timing was right in many ways when I decided to sell the Z06, if you reach that point don't worry.....plenty of choices out there for a fun car.

Buddy A 05-14-2013 09:46 AM

Could it be a belt whine like maybe some coolant got on the belt during the head replacement?

FrankTank 05-14-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1583896041)
Nothing is more frustrating and saps the fun out of car ownership then mechanical troubles, hope its nothing serious. Looking back I think the timing was right in many ways when I decided to sell the Z06, if you reach that point don't worry.....plenty of choices out there for a fun car.

Exactly, that is where I am at now.. if its something simple like power steering, alternator or a belt issue..no biggie sht happens and I will keep the car, but anything more major like crank bolt, tranny etc... bye bye Z06...and GM for that matter :toetap:

Originally Posted by Buddy A (Post 1583896144)
Could it be a belt whine like maybe some coolant got on the belt during the head replacement?

I've been driving the car for about 2 weeks now, and just completed a 400 mile road trip with the car, so I don't think its anything related to that but you never know :thumbs: I don't see any leaks yet anywhere, will have to check more tonight

wolf8218 05-14-2013 10:15 AM

Well, if you say it makes noise when it is in gear only, maybe your engine mounts could be going bad? Maybe the engine could be shifting and causing a misalignment?

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-14-2013 11:03 AM

Weren't you having some transmission issues Frank?

TheKomoman 05-14-2013 11:12 AM

We had a whining sound last year coming from our '08, sounded like a faint version of what you hear from square-cut racing gears. Was quite loud in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, faded out with 4th. Ended up with all of the gears and counter-gears for everything except 4th being replaced due to excessive wear. All covered under power train. Between that and the new LS7 after our original popped, Bryner Chevy billed out a lot to GM for our car last summer!

FrankTank 05-14-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583896822)

Yeap, well, they were isolated to going in R only, and I discovered if I put the clutch in, move the shifter to 1st, then back center and to R, no issues. My mechanic thinks the Synchros are bad in the Reverse gear.. but no other issues, 1, 2,3 all gears work and engage great, clutch is fine no pedal issues or slippage..

Not sure if that is tied to this noise, I did not try listening for the noise if I back up if it did it too... if I am rolling in 1st gear very light in the gas moving forward , there is no noise, it's only when I start getting faster and the RPM start to rise above about 1,200

FrankTank 05-14-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheKomoman (Post 1583896887)
We had a whining sound last year coming from our '08, sounded like a faint version of what you hear from square-cut racing gears. Was quite loud in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, faded out with 4th. Ended up with all of the gears and counter-gears for everything except 4th being replaced due to excessive wear. All covered under power train. Between that and the new LS7 after our original popped, Bryner Chevy billed out a lot to GM for our car last summer!

and this is my Worst nightmare come true if the case, and could very well be , Money-wise it would be stupid for me sell the car if I have to get a new trans, but at this point I am so frustrated with this POS that someone may end up buying a used Z06 07 with the head issue addressed, and a brand new Trans!! No more GM anything for me after this and bye bye Z06

I am pessamistic due to my luck with cars in the past, so I prepare for the worst (as is the case here) and if its not, its a surprise and blessing. :(:crazy:

propain 05-14-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583896891)
Yeap, well, they were isolated to going in R only, and I discovered if I put the clutch in, move the shifter to 1st, then back center and to R, no issues. My mechanic thinks the Synchros are bad in the Reverse gear.. but no other issues, 1, 2,3 all gears work and engage great, clutch is fine no pedal issues or slippage..

Not sure if that is tied to this noise, I did not try listening for the noise if I back up if it did it too... if I am rolling in 1st gear very light in the gas moving forward , there is no noise, it's only when I start getting faster and the RPM start to rise above about 1,200

Would you consider it a load problem or an RPM problem? If you are steady on the pedal does the noise start at a certain RPM every time? The noise did not happen while in neutral and revving? Were you still rolling when in neutral and revving?

NachosZO6 05-14-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583896891)

I am not saying it's your transmission, but I had this same very issue. Every gear went in fine except for R. After a while, putting in 1st wouldn't do it, it still wouldn't go in R. It never whined though, but when I had the dealer look into it, they found every gear busted. I'm not sure how that happened so they practically had to replace the entire transmission, under warranty.

I hope this isn't the case with your car, but it's a possibility. And if you find out that your current problem is the crank bolt/pulley, the transmission more than likely next, so fix it and get rid of it. IMO

GMuffley 05-14-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583896922)
and this is my Worst nightmare come true if the case, and could very well be , Money-wise it would be stupid for me sell the car if I have to get a new trans, but at this point I am so frustrated with this POS that someone may end up buying a used Z06 07 with the head issue addressed, and a brand new Trans!! No more GM anything for me after this and bye bye Z06

I am pessamistic due to my luck with cars in the past, so I prepare for the worst (as is the case here) and if its not, its a surprise and blessing. :(:crazy:

I'd be pissed too. Sorry bro.

FrankTank 05-14-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583896935)
Would you consider it a load problem or an RPM problem? If you are steady on the pedal does the noise start at a certain RPM every time? The noise did not happen while in neutral and revving? Were you still rolling when in neutral and revving?

At this point, I am thinking load problem, when in "N" I did not really Rev it above 2500 and in doing so there is no noise , I am a little scared to do so honestly above 2500.

I can roll in Neutral and rev and there is no noise, but again I did not rev it that high.

When in 1st grear moving forward steady on the Gas I would say the noise starts just above 1500 RPM or a tad less. It's present in 2nd and 3rd gear, I never made it up into 4, by that point I was doing the speed limit and decided to turn around and go home.

Originally Posted by NachosZO6 (Post 1583897040)
I am not saying it's your transmission, but I had this same very issue. Every gear went in fine except for R. After a while, putting in 1st wouldn't do it, it still wouldn't go in R. It never whined though, but when I had the dealer look into it, they found every gear busted. I'm not sure how that happened so they practically had to replace the entire transmission, under warranty.

I hope this isn't the case with your car, but it's a possibility. And if you find out that your current problem is the crank bolt/pulley, the transmission more than likely next, so fix it and get rid of it. IMO

Yeap either one , Tranny will be huge bucks :ack: ....crank bolt ./pulley if it just has come loose or backed out , Labor will suck and be costly (I replaced the one on the C5 myself in the garage not doing that again) , but won't be as bad as Trans assuming no other damage is found on the snout or anything else, the parts will be a lot cheaper, just maybe new dampner or ARP bolt, or whatever.

I have a buddy here local that had the same thing you describe a couple years ago on his 06 , he was still under warranty too. My power-train warranty went out last May so I am SOL big time. Car has 27,000 miles on it , no track time ... I am the 2nd owner, car was/is in great shape. Anyone who has worked on it comments how clean it is undercarriage, engine parts etc.. it's clearly not been abused or if it had they hid it well. I've owned the car since 2010 and bought it with 13k miles on it.

Black96WS6 05-14-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583897335)
At this point, I am thinking load problem, when in "N" I did not really Rev it above 2500 and in doing so there is no noise , I am a little scared to do so honestly above 2500.

I can roll in Neutral and rev and there is no noise, but again I did not rev it that high.

When in 1st grear moving forward steady on the Gas I would say the noise starts just above 1500 RPM or a tad less. It's present in 2nd and 3rd gear, I never made it up into 4, by that point I was doing the speed limit and decided to turn around and go home.

Yeap either one , Tranny will be huge bucks :ack: ....crank bolt ./pulley if it just has come loose or backed out , Labor will suck and be costly (I replaced the one on the C5 myself in the garage not doing that again) , but won't be as bad as Trans assuming no other damage is found on the snout or anything else, the parts will be a lot cheaper, just maybe new dampner or ARP bolt, or whatever.

I have a buddy here local that had the same thing you describe a couple years ago on his 06 , he was still under warranty too. My power-train warranty went out last May so I am SOL big time. Car has 27,000 miles on it , no track time ... I am the 2nd owner, car was/is in great shape. Anyone who has worked on it comments how clean it is undercarriage, engine parts etc.. it's clearly not been abused or if it had they hid it well. I've owned the car since 2010 and bought it with 13k miles on it.

Sorry to hear about that Frank, that sucks.

What about an '11+ Mustang GT? Slap a supercharger on it and call it a day?

Or a GT500 and just drive it stock? Plenty fast...or change the pulley slightly ;).

Or back into a C5Z, add a supercharger and call it a day?

Any of those options would give you a ridiculously fast car...

JJC5 05-14-2013 12:24 PM

Wow Frank....really sorry to hear this. I know you were pumped with the head work that you just did and quite honestly, I took your lead and am considering doing the same to mine after the GMPP runs out in September. Another guy on here had a valve guide inspection done, was found out of tolerance and his extended warranty picked up the bill for new heads. I can do the same but I'm thinking that nothing will be fixed but just delayed, so I'd rather just have WCCH do it on my dime.
Is the whine possibly a throwout bearing? Is it at all clutch engagement/disengagement related? I knew you were having problems going into R but I don't believe synchros will whine like that. When I look at my crank pulley, I see a very slight wobble but the pulley actually runs true. It's the bolt head/washer that looks like it's wobbling very slightly. I'm hoping for a power steering pump in your case, hopefully not the trans.
Good luck man..:cheers:

FrankTank 05-14-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Black96WS6 (Post 1583897506)
Sorry to hear about that Frank, that sucks.

What about an '11+ Mustang GT? Slap a supercharger on it and call it a day?

Or a GT500 and just drive it stock? Plenty fast...or change the pulley slightly ;).

Or back into a C5Z, add a supercharger and call it a day?

Any of those options would give you a ridiculously fast car...

Thanks

Yea lots of stuff out there, so would be interesting to see what happens. I would probably go Ford or Dodge this time around, just can't see myself giving GM any more money. I am going to take a good hit if I sell the Vette, I don't owe that much, but to offset the cost of labor and a new trans, or fixing a crank bolt with labor, I will have to take some of the equity to pay for these repairs, but again I would rather do that and be rid of the car if thats what happens.

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583897510)
Wow Frank....really sorry to hear this. I know you were pumped with the head work that you just did and quite honestly, I took your lead and am considering doing the same to mine after the GMPP runs out in September. Another guy on here had a valve guide inspection done, was found out of tolerance and his extended warranty picked up the bill for new heads. I can do the same but I'm thinking that nothing will be fixed but just delayed, so I'd rather just have WCCH do it on my dime.
Is the whine possibly a throwout bearing? Is it at all clutch engagement/disengagement related? I knew you were having problems going into R but I don't believe synchros will whine like that. When I look at my crank pulley, I see a very slight wobble but the pulley actually runs true. It's the bolt head/washer that looks like it's wobbling very slightly. I'm hoping for a power steering pump in your case, hopefully not the trans.
Good luck man..:cheers:

Thanks a lot :cheers: there is so much it could be , I may get lucky and have it be a Power Steering issue or something, anything Trans related is big bucks. Yea not sure if the Reverse issues I was starting to have have something to do with this. ..I was looking at the pulley wobble this morning but was in a hurry and quite frankly that might just be in my head because I've had it happen before. :crazy: other than the R gear, there are no other engagement issues (yet) or clutch problems from what I can tell.

keith954 05-14-2013 05:28 PM

:eek::ack:

Adam_W 05-14-2013 05:49 PM

I've heard that the Mustang Boss 302 is supposed to be built tough. If I hadn't fallen in love with the looks of the Vette I might have gone with a low miles used Boss and supercharged it.

z0sicktanner 05-14-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583896822)

hmm funny you bring that up mine had the same issue at least the dealer said that. they told me the reverse gears was worn out. I get the car bring it to my shop tore into the trasmission myself to find all the gears are fine trans looks new No sign of wear. I alreay ordered the rebuild kit been working on it and finished up today. did it fix my reverse? Nope not at the least..

harrydirty 05-14-2013 06:22 PM

On the other hand, it would be a shame if you got the whine fixed and then sold it when that was the last remaining issue. In other words, you would be selling a reliable (?) fun car w/o any issues.

Tough decision either way, hope the whine is something minor/cheap.

Witt748 05-14-2013 07:02 PM

Didn't read the whole post the first time so I'm changing my post. I hope it ends up not being anything too serious.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-14-2013 07:04 PM

I'm thinking it has something to do with your transmission Frank.

And that time on the dyno, dialing the tune in, probably didn't help it.

LS9Drew 05-14-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_W (Post 1583900145)
I've heard that the Mustang Boss 302 is supposed to be built tough. If I hadn't fallen in love with the looks of the Vette I might have gone with a low miles used Boss and supercharged it.

The manual transmissions on the new GT and Boss are junk from everything I have heard, I wouldn't buy a new mustang unless it was an auto or 13+ GT500 because those have a better manual transmission

mistermog 05-14-2013 07:29 PM

I have nothing useful to add but would like to keep informed of what the cause turns out to be. Im hugely paranoid about my crank bolt since I don't really know how tight I got mine when I put it back in.

Dallasb84 05-14-2013 07:46 PM

Just take it to a shop an diagnos it professionally. have yourself a beer while you wait. I used to get all worked up and freak out over things that pop up and surprise you but when it comes down to it 99% of the time people tend to sweat the small stuff. Stay calm and be happy that you own the most beautiful and one of the most powerful all around vehicles ever made. It's a car. Things break. But.... Not all car break and look this good:) go get it checked out first and make a game plan from there. I'm sure if its major there are plenty of local people that would love to help you out. Good luck.

JJC5 05-14-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dallasb84 (Post 1583901004)
Just take it to a shop an diagnos it professionally. have yourself a beer while you wait. I used to get all worked up and freak out over things that pop up and surprise you but when it comes down to it 99% of the time people tend to sweat the small stuff. Stay calm and be happy that you own the most beautiful and one of the most powerful all around vehicles ever made. It's a car. Things break. But.... Not all car break and look this good:) go get it checked out first and make a game plan from there. I'm sure if its major there are plenty of local people that would love to help you out. Good luck.

:skep:

mistermog 05-14-2013 08:50 PM

You -can- get a wrench on the balancer bolt if you just take off the intake tube (the filter to throttle body plastic thingy).

that would tell you if its moderately loose or not anyway.

FrankTank 05-14-2013 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the crank bolt earlier after work today and its tight, and I took a look at the pulley etc.. while the car was running and it appears normal, no leakage or anything. When my C5 crank bolt went it was leaking prior obviously the seal

The car is at the Vette shop where I have the work done by trusted mechanic and friend. When I drove it over there, as I was shifting gears , I could hear the pitch of the whine change from gear to gear as they engaged, by change I mean it would stop for a split second as I shifted to the next gear, so I can't see how it is not the trans, unless its something in the rear end or axles or something:crazy:

I reved the engine a bit higher in neutral (3500 RPM) and no whine or noise or anything

Again gears engage fine (except for R) , clutch and pedal feel are normal no slippage at all. I am hoping to hear something in the next few days

Originally Posted by Dallasb84 (Post 1583901004)

I hope you are right and I am wrong, I could be overreacting, but we will see. The bigger issue here is that I just spent a couple grand (actually more) on heads, tune, headers and install not even a month ago.,. had this happened before that I would have just addressed the problem and maybe have sold the car then...but now this comes right on the heals of that. Not to mention I was unlucky enough to also have to purchase all new TI intake valves , so even the heads were about 700 more than most are paying. Thats not my cars fault, but just very shtty luck on my part timing-wise. :ack:

Dallasb84 05-14-2013 10:16 PM

Yeah it goes that way sometimes. I hope it's something minor. Wouldn't it be great to service the tranny and diff and the noise goes away?

Dallasb84 05-14-2013 10:18 PM

I have a bit of the grinding in first gear at low speed and clunk in the rear end. Gonna change the fluids and hope it goes away.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-14-2013 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583902281)
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the crank bolt earlier after work today and its tight, and I took a look at the pulley etc.. while the car was running and it appears normal, no leakage or anything. When my C5 crank bolt went it was leaking prior obviously the seal

The car is at the Vette shop where I have the work done by trusted mechanic and friend. When I drove it over there, as I was shifting gears , I could hear the pitch of the whine change from gear to gear as they engaged, by change I mean it would stop for a split second as I shifted to the next gear, so I can't see how it is not the trans, unless its something in the rear end or axles or something:crazy:

I reved the engine a bit higher in neutral (3500 RPM) and no whine or noise or anything

Again gears engage fine (except for R) , clutch and pedal feel are normal no slippage at all. I am hoping to hear something in the next few days

I hope you are right and I am wrong, I could be overreacting, but we will see. The bigger issue here is that I just spent a couple grand (actually more) on heads, tune, headers and install not even a month ago.,. had this happened before that I would have just addressed the problem and maybe have sold the car then...but now this comes right on the heals of that. Not to mention I was unlucky enough to also have to purchase all new TI intake valves , so even the heads were about 700 more than most are paying. Thats not my cars fault, but just very shtty luck on my part timing-wise. :ack:

I have a slight whine also, but my heads are ported, as is my intake manifold, I have a Callaway Honker as well, so I know now that mine is due to the increased airflow.

I've had at least on person tell me that the ported FAST intake manifold is a bit noisier than stock.

But when I first had the work done on the car, I could hear it. Very faint though and can still hear it.

What of the above mods do you have?

Dirty Howie 05-15-2013 12:51 AM

Frank

I got my fingers crossed for you :thumbs:

:cheers:
DH

Undy 05-15-2013 07:39 AM

Frank, you're in the last lap of a 100 lap race. Don't throw in the towel yet. I know it's easy for me to say...

You've been had one of the coolest heads through all this insanity. Don't reverse plans now. I'll say an automotive prayer for you. This board needs members like you!

JG853 05-15-2013 07:59 AM

I hope that it all turns out alright.

Did your mechanic not diagnose this a while ago when you car is being serviced? Maybe this was new, but it seems as though from your posts that he knew about it, so I am not sure why he would release the car to you if he knew there were problems (If this is the case).

JwT 05-15-2013 08:12 AM

Sorry to hear about the woes Frank. I know first hand about problems with the Z06. Let me just say that I bought my 07 with a lot of miles, 67k to be exact. And man did I go through some pain. I think it cost me about 15k to fix the issues, but when you buy AS-IS that's what happens. It was very dis-hearting as I also had to make payments while fixing.

All I can say Frank is whatever the problem was for me I just really didn't like anything else on the market. I sold my Pro-Street car for factory horsepower and I couldn't afford a ZR1.

Even now I'm buying parts to make the car look the way I want. Even if you bought another car the money it would take to make it handle and run like the Z would cost as much or more than fixing your car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may buy another car with more problems, that may not make you feel as good as your Z06.

FrankTank 05-15-2013 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583902465)
I have a slight whine also, but my heads are ported, as is my intake manifold, I have a Callaway Honker as well, so I know now that mine is due to the increased airflow.

I've had at least on person tell me that the ported FAST intake manifold is a bit noisier than stock.

But when I first had the work done on the car, I could hear it. Very faint though and can still hear it.

What of the above mods do you have?

Hey Ricky, I don't have a FAST, I do have the Halltech MF103, which has been known to whistle a bit, but this sound is a lot different, actually when I first heard the noise, I was kinda hoping it was that..but this whine..if you heard it in person you can tell;'s mechanical of some sort :(

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1583903336)
Frank

I got my fingers crossed for you :thumbs:

DH

Thanks Howie :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Undy (Post 1583904060)
Frank, you're in the last lap of a 100 lap race. Don't throw in the towel yet. I know it's easy for me to say...

You've been had one of the coolest heads through all this insanity. Don't reverse plans now. I'll say an automotive prayer for you. This board needs members like you!

Undy, thanks much for the kind words and support my friend , hopefully I will know something in the next few days. :thumbs: :cheers: and I can go from there.

Originally Posted by JG853 (Post 1583904192)
I hope that it all turns out alright.

Did your mechanic not diagnose this a while ago when you car is being serviced? Maybe this was new, but it seems as though from your posts that he knew about it, so I am not sure why he would release the car to you if he knew there were problems (If this is the case).

This is new, in fact, when the car was dynoed it was fine, and I just took a 400 mile road trip and had not one single noise or creek or whine or whatever, that was last week. It's been about a month since the mods and work where done. This noise just surfaced this week. My mechanic did not touch the trans, clutch or anything like that. He installed headers, CAI, catch can and swapped the heads, so the motor itself was never even opened or anything since I left the stock cam.

Originally Posted by JwT (Post 1583904290)
Sorry to hear about the woes Frank. I know first hand about problems with the Z06. Let me just say that I bought my 07 with a lot of miles, 67k to be exact. And man did I go through some pain. I think it cost me about 15k to fix the issues, but when you buy AS-IS that's what happens. It was very dis-hearting as I also had to make payments while fixing.

All I can say Frank is whatever the problem was for me I just really didn't like anything else on the market. I sold my Pro-Street car for factory horsepower and I couldn't afford a ZR1.

Even now I'm buying parts to make the car look the way I want. Even if you bought another car the money it would take to make it handle and run like the Z would cost as much or more than fixing your car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may buy another car with more problems, that may not make you feel as good as your Z06.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and some of that has been crossing my mind these last 2 days... performance wise, and money wise the obvious smart thing to do is just fix the car keep it, even if I need a whole new trans or clutch or whatever... but quite honestly knowing myself and personally feel about the car, I think I would resent it really and just be holding a grudge with the car angry with all the money I had to spend it kinda takes the fun out of it
...I know that sounds stupid :lol: but I would be willing to sacrifice performance for long term reliability at this point , and have a factory warranty on a new toy and put this behind me.

thanks again everyone for the kind words and support :cheers:

Zap City 05-15-2013 09:12 AM

Best of luck Frank. So sorry to hear of the ongoing problems.

95jersey 05-15-2013 09:13 AM

Just remember guys we are driving a 505hp supercar that can beat many of the best cars in the world. You are not driving a Honda daily driver built to last 300k miles. Sports cars, especially high powered models, are ALWAYS going to be less reliable than the average car and will require higher maintenance. Imagine what P and F car owners pay when their car breaks down (which I guarantee is more often). I know my car can outrun an F430, GT3, Viper, and doesn't cost 1/3rd as much to fix. Heck a GT3 Motor easily costs $25k-30K. I have a friend with a F430 and his headlight got smashed by a rock and it was $2k for the headlight assembly.

FrankTank 05-15-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 95jersey (Post 1583904722)
Just remember guys we are driving a 505hp supercar that can beat many of the best cars in the world. You are not driving a Honda daily driver built to last 300k miles. Sports cars, especially high powered models, are ALWAYS going to be less reliable than the average car and will require higher maintenance. Imagine what P and F car owners pay when their car breaks down (which I guarantee is more often). I know my car can outrun an F430, GT3, Viper, and doesn't cost 1/3rd as much to fix. Heck a GT3 Motor easily costs $25k-30K. I have a friend with a F430 and his headlight got smashed by a rock and it was $2k for the headlight assembly.

Makes sense and I agree to a certain extent, however my car having no track time, and if the Trans has failed with less than 30k miles that is pretty poor IMO. Sure, I modded it now, but it's 474 RWHP, not like I am pushing 550 or 600RWHP and expecting the stock tranny and clutch to last 100k. In fact, this is exactly why (despite a lot of ball busting) I did NOT do a cam or any big power mods. I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.
This is the 2nd T56 Tranny I will have fail on me (assuming this time it is in fact the trans) in 2 different corvettes. :crazy: both that are just over 50HP of stock power levels.

I guess this is why Rodney at RPM is doing so well (beefing up unreliable Transmissions) and keeps upgrading to larger facilities LOL

CFLZ 05-15-2013 11:04 AM

It's all in the engineering. You can see it in the head design down to the windows that will not index properly. I think you would be well served to sell the car and get something with a little better build quality. I was in the same situation a few months ago with my Z and got the car out of my life.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-15-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CFLZ (Post 1583905659)
It's all in the engineering. You can see it in the head design down to the windows that will not index properly. I think you would be well served to sell the car and get something with a little better build quality. I was in the same situation a few months ago with my Z and got the car out of my life.

Better watch that part in bold.

Some of the folks in here don't like for people to say that, and they will swoop down on you like those flying monkeys in Oz. :D

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-15-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583905526)
Makes sense and I agree to a certain extent, however my car having no track time, and if the Trans has failed with less than 30k miles that is pretty poor IMO. Sure, I modded it now, but it's 474 RWHP, not like I am pushing 550 or 600RWHP and expecting the stock tranny and clutch to last 100k. In fact, this is exactly why (despite a lot of ball busting) I did NOT do a cam or any big power mods. I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.
This is the 2nd T56 Tranny I will have fail on me (assuming this time it is in fact the trans) in 2 different corvettes. :crazy: both that are just over 50HP of stock power levels.

I guess this is why Rodney at RPM is doing so well (beefing up unreliable Transmissions) and keeps upgrading to larger facilities LOL

Take a look at this Frank:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...nsmission.html

Adam_W 05-15-2013 11:12 AM

Mind if I ask what sports car you got (or will get) to replace it?

I just bought my '08 Z06 (my first corvette), which I love, but I'm coming into this with my eyes wide open and I like to be realistic about what the Z06 is and is not.

propain 05-15-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583905687)
Better watch that part in bold.

Some of the folks in here don't like for people to say that, and they will swoop down on you like those flying monkeys in Oz. :D

This scene came to mind:

z51vett 05-15-2013 11:28 AM

I would like to know what this turns out to be.
z51vett
Doug

LFZ 05-15-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583905741)

I laffed my ass off when Flash, Mark Wahlberg, and that damn Teddy bear did coke together....funny as hell!

propain 05-15-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1583905971)
I laffed my ass off when Flash, Mark Wahlberg, and that damn Teddy bear did coke together....funny as hell!

Go flash go! :rofl:

Great cheesy movie...

HyperX 05-15-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by z51vett (Post 1583905900)
z51vett
Doug

:iagree:

LFZ 05-15-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583906000)
Go flash go! :rofl:

Great cheesy movie...

Ming.......!!!!

FrankTank 05-15-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583905737)

Very interesting, I going to mention this if the mechanic does not , I am sure he will check this, he is very good. Also might contact Crazycowboy if I do end up needing to replace mine could save a few bucks.

Originally Posted by z51vett (Post 1583905900)
z51vett
Doug

Absolutely, I will update this thread when I get an update good or bad :cheers:

JJC5 05-15-2013 11:57 AM

Hey Frank, just a thought and this might be a REALLY stupid question but are you positive that you have a full fluid level in your trans? Have you ever checked it? If the trans has been low on fluid, that road trip you took could have done it in. A clue might have been that tough shift into reverse. Good luck man...I hope this turns out to be really minor.

DON T. 05-15-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583896922)

Frank, i could not help but smile reading how this post ended. Blessing!! Hopefully things will work out and your love for your Z will not diminish. But, if something needs fixing, its still a blessing. :yesnod: PS, do i need to duck now....:hide:

FrankTank 05-15-2013 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583906162)
Hey Frank, just a thought and this might be a REALLY stupid question but are you positive that you have a full fluid level in your trans? Have you ever checked it? If the trans has been low on fluid, that road trip you took could have done it in. A clue might have been that tough shift into reverse. Good luck man...I hope this turns out to be really minor.

Not a dumb question at all :thumbs:I had all the fluids checked when the car was in the shop for the mods etc.. and everything was good, that was a week (or2) before the road trip so I didn;t bother to check again.

Originally Posted by DON T. (Post 1583906303)
Frank, i could not help but smile reading how this post ended. Blessing!! Hopefully things will work out and your love for your Z will not diminish. But, if something needs fixing, its still a blessing. :yesnod: PS, do i need to duck now....:hide:

:thumbs: all good my friend we shall see!

bladex10 05-15-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 95jersey (Post 1583904722)

A Z06 isn't a supercar. ZR1 maybe but not Z06. Its still a mass produced Chevy at the end of the day that Chevy doesnt seem to want anything to do with anymore. Its sad to see because they are awesome cars, They are just unreliable as hell. I've seen more z06 engine failure threads in the last year than i care to count. Its no Honda but it shouldnt be in the shop getting the motor torn apart for a flawed head design as soon as you buy one and you sure as hell shouldnt worry about a valve dropping using the car what it was intended for.

My buddy went through this same issue with his Z06, He got so sick of fixing back to back issues, he just fixed it and sold it as fast as he could. He now owns a whipped 2011 Mustang GT that has not given him a single problem in the almost 2 years he owned it.

propain 05-15-2013 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1583909734)
A Z06 isn't a supercar. ZR1 maybe but not Z06. Its still a mass produced Chevy at the end of the day that Chevy doesnt seem to want anything to do with anymore. Its sad to see because they are awesome cars, They are just unreliable as hell. I've seen more z06 engine failure threads in the last year than i care to count. Its no Honda but it shouldnt be in the shop getting the motor torn apart for a flawed head design as soon as you buy one and you sure as hell shouldnt worry about a valve dropping using the car what it was intended for.

My buddy went through this same issue with his Z06, He got so sick of fixing back to back issues, he just fixed it and sold it as fast as he could. He now owns a whipped 2011 Mustang GT that has not given him a single problem in the almost 2 years he owned it.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers from but a Z06 is not a mass produced Chevy. A Z06 is also considered a supercar.

I agree however failures shouldn't happen with such low miles. The Mustang GT reference also does not apply as that is a mass produced Ford and it doesn't come anywhere close to pushing the limits of its platform.

I think you need to rethink your position.

JwT 05-15-2013 08:00 PM

Anyone who thinks the Z06 is not a supercar doesn't know the car.
With just a few mods this car will clip 200 mph. Most expensive supercars don't go much faster and cost thousands more. Just try paying for those parts and you'll love a Z.

Frank I wasn't aware that you were running a T56. I was lucky when I picked up my Z. The dealers vette mech lived just 7 miles from my house and he works on the side cheaper. When my T56 went south the mechanic told me that the second and fourth gear have always been very weak in these units. I had two choices from RPM transmission. Buy a 6060 or have my T56 rebuilt to handle 700 hp, which is what I did. It set me back about $2800.00 but I also picked up a torque tube and a scoggin dickey clutch so the cost was much more.

This may be the case Frank, but the cost isn't a killer to fix.

DON T. 05-16-2013 08:40 AM

Well then, hopefully you have sold your sorry Z06 and moved on to something more reliable. Toyota builds some nice stuff.....

FrankTank 05-16-2013 09:28 AM

What defines a Supercar is just really subjective to what each person defines a supercar as. IMO it's any car that is high performance that is over six figures in cost, so most exotics ...so while a Z06 may not cost 350,000 bucks, it certainly does at least compete on the same levels, and in many cases, beats cars that cost 3 X as much.

back on topic, mechanic drove the car yesterday a few times, he says it's definitely the Trans , or possibly in the drive shaft somewhere but he did not have a chance to tear into it yet to see more.

ghoust 05-16-2013 10:10 AM

It saddens me to read this over and over on this board. I have owned sports cars for over 15 years and never have I seen such issues. This will be the first and last Government Motors vehicle that I will own.

FrankTank 05-16-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JwT (Post 1583910169)
Anyone who thinks the Z06 is not a supercar doesn't know the car.
With just a few mods this car will clip 200 mph. Most expensive supercars don't go much faster and cost thousands more. Just try paying for those parts and you'll love a Z.

Frank I wasn't aware that you were running a T56. I was lucky when I picked up my Z. The dealers vette mech lived just 7 miles from my house and he works on the side cheaper. When my T56 went south the mechanic told me that the second and fourth gear have always been very weak in these units. I had two choices from RPM transmission. Buy a 6060 or have my T56 rebuilt to handle 700 hp, which is what I did. It set me back about $2800.00 but I also picked up a torque tube and a scoggin dickey clutch so the cost was much more.

This may be the case Frank, but the cost isn't a killer to fix.

Yea I bought a Level IV T56 from RPM years back for my C5, actually drove from IL to Indy to Rodney shop and they did a clutch and install in one day and I drove home that night. Good guys to work with

Looks like the Level IV T56 for the Z (pre 08 cars) is about 2300 bucks. If this were not happening on the heals of my completing mods, I might not be as aggravated , but the timing could not be worse, and that has what has bittered me to the point of wanting to just dump the car..that and like I posted above this is the second T56 on 2 vettes that has failed. :ack:

Mark2009 05-16-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583913773)
[...] mechanic drove the car yesterday a few times, he says it's definitely the Trans , or possibly in the drive shaft somewhere but he did not have a chance to tear into it yet to see more.

:(

Perhaps the trans can be rebuilt cheaper than being replaced; I guess it will depend upon the condition after teardown/inspection.

I once replaced one, and only one, clutch pack in an automatic trans (my '79 C3, probably a TH400) . . . funds were tight at the time, and it solved the problem http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...in_notooth.gif

ByByBMW 05-16-2013 11:34 AM

As an ex Z06 owner, I sold mine partly because of the valve issues, my sympathies to you FrankTank. The only recommendation I have for you is try to bring down the emotions and THEN make your decision. And trust me, I know how hard it is to take the emotions down a notch. My Z was the most awesome, powerful car I will ever own. But Chevrolet has let a lot of folks down, including me. It's one of the reasons I am not on the buying a C7 first thing train.

FrankTank 05-16-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mark200X (Post 1583914385)
:(

Perhaps the trans can be rebuilt cheaper than being replaced; I guess it will depend upon the condition after teardown/inspection.

I once replaced one, and only one, clutch pack in an automatic trans (my '79 C3, probably a TH400) . . . funds were tight at the time, and it solved the problem http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...in_notooth.gif

That is definitely an option I will explore if it can be rebuilt :thumbs:

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1583914885)
As an ex Z06 owner, I sold mine partly because of the valve issues, my sympathies to you FrankTank. The only recommendation I have for you is try to bring down the emotions and THEN make your decision. And trust me, I know how hard it is to take the emotions down a notch. My Z was the most awesome, powerful car I will ever own. But Chevrolet has let a lot of folks down, including me. It's one of the reasons I am not on the buying a C7 first thing train.

Thanks Man. No doubt some of these posts and my thread have quite a bit of emotion , that is why in some ways its good this is not going to be resolved in a day or 2...by the time I need to make a decision I will have cooled off even more and make a more informed less emotional decision.

Actually this morning, I've pretty much decided it is what it is...sht happens , the initial real anger and pizzed off feeling is gone, now its just more I am disappointed in the whole deal.. adding to the frustration is even the fact that I had to buy all new intake valves when I had WCCH do the heads,,so even something simple like that, I got shafted and was way over budget.

Its the sum of everything added up that's made me pretty much say..(pending the outcome) it's time to pick up and move on to another car. The whole reason I did not do a CAM or blower, or even Nitrous for big power is this right here...I did not want to have to start building the trans or buy a clutch and start modding the entire power-train...well now regardless the trans took a dump anyway LOL

ipmtim 05-16-2013 01:52 PM

Tank,
Sucks to hear.:ack:
Kevin figure anything out yet?
Tim

FrankTank 05-16-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ipmtim (Post 1583915999)
Tank,
Sucks to hear.:ack:
Kevin figure anything out yet?
Tim

Yea he drove the car twice yesterday and has pretty much confirmed it is something in the Trans, or the driveshaft .. :ack: He's going to get more into it I hope in the next few days, but he's having the open house Saturday for the shop so he's pretty busy with that.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghoust (Post 1583914122)
It saddens me to read this over and over on this board. I have owned sports cars for over 15 years and never have I seen such issues. This will be the first and last Government Motors vehicle that I will own.

What car has never had issues?? This isn't a GM thing, it's a car thing stuff breaks on every car

propain 05-16-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916139)
What car has never had issues?? This isn't a GM thing, it's a car thing stuff breaks on every car

Yes all cars break. Catastrophic failure however is a different story.

I have a C63 AMG. Actually I had one.. sold it and traded for another one because its such a good car. Both cars tuned and tracked pretty hard. Not one problem.

People I know with the same car have pushed it to its limits both NA and FI. Some have 1000HP. Not a single engine failure since 2008. The only thing that I have seen go is the rear diff. Mostly because it doesn't come with an LSD. Now once you get above 600WHP the trannys cant hold up and need to be strengthened. But lets keep the argument stock vs stock then. Not 1 single failure on the forums. Head bolts are the biggest issue right now.

Every GM car I have ever owned has had problems. Its most certainly a GM thing. Will I still buy them? Sure, they have a rawness you cant get from other cars. Will I tolerate catastrophic failure at 25K miles? No.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 02:55 PM

The main issue with the Z06 has a fix out there, do the fix or sell the car simple as that. And it's not that expensive to do

bladex10 05-16-2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916477)
The main issue with the Z06 has a fix out there, do the fix or sell the car simple as that. And it's not that expensive to do

The issue here is that you shouldnt have to rip apart the motor of a new car for it be reliable. Theres alot of Z06 owners who dont know this "fix" or issue and they are out driving their car around that could let go at any given time and cause thousands in damage. GM should have recalled this issue LONG ago but they just ignored the issue and swept it under the rug.

propain 05-16-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916477)

Its not the cost of the issue its the issue and having to fix the issue on a 75K car. This is not a "all cars break" issue. That is the point.

You feel this is acceptable? You set your expectations way to low my friend.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 03:28 PM

I have accepted it GM isn't going to do anything about it so I had to. People are so quick to bitch and complain these days but refuse to act

ghoust 05-16-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1583916642)
The issue here is that you shouldnt have to rip apart the motor of a new car for it be reliable. Theres alot of Z06 owners who dont know this "fix" or issue and they are out driving their car around that could let go at any given time and cause thousands in damage. GM should have recalled this issue LONG ago but they just ignored the issue and swept it under the rug.

That's my point exactly. Its not a matter of the money to fix the issue out there. My guess is that since the LS7 Z06 owners had to pay a substantial amount of money to buy our dream cars, we certainly have the means to fix the issue. I will be doing so as well since I am deciding to keep my z06 for a while longer. But at the back of my head, I will always be thinking that I paid X amount of dollars to fix a flaw that GM should have fixed thereby thinking that GM robbed me of my money.

propain 05-16-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916762)
I have accepted it GM isn't going to do anything about it so I had to. People are so quick to bitch and complain these days but refuse to act

Again, none of this helps your argument of "cars break"

Your above statement confirms this is indeed a GM issue. Good for you fixing it, most people don't feel they should have to rip apart a car with 25K miles on to fix an issue they shouldn't have to fix.

Sure, anyone out of warranty that sits around and pouts and complains about the issue but doesn't sell the car or do the fix really need to ask themselves who is to blame when it goes boom.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 03:36 PM

Yes your right GM is the only manufacture to ever make a car that has issues.....idk why I need to argue about what I said its a fact almost every car out no matter the manufacture has their own issues

JJC5 05-16-2013 03:39 PM

I agree with you Propain but if GM had admitted ANY sort of liability or negligence, there would be law suits all over the place and beyond the LS7. That would have set a precedent that would never end.

propain 05-16-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916818)
Yes your right GM is the only manufacture to ever make a car that has issues.....idk why I need to argue about what I said its a fact almost every car out no matter the manufacture has their own issues

What you said was "This isn't a GM thing, it's a car thing" and that couldn't be more wrong in the case of the Z06 and the exhaust valves. Now in Franks tranny case you might be a bit more right but what horrible quality since his car was stock up until recently and doesn't have many miles on it.

Sure other cars have issues. This is the only car I own that has an issue on a stock motor that if left unchecked will result in catastrophic engine failure. Do you know of any others that have this issue?

propain 05-16-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583916848)
I agree with you Propain but if GM had admitted ANY sort of liability or negligence, there would be law suits all over the place and beyond the LS7. That would have set a precedent that would never end.

Thats for sure. The closest we got was in the sticky above. If it made it to a TSB many would sue GM for damages, and rightfully so.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 04:00 PM

I've seen Mazda speed 3s fail bone stock and heard about them failing bone stock from locals. That's one I can remember off the top of my head. Others I'm sure you can Google to find.

propain 05-16-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583917037)
I've seen Mazda speed 3s fail bone stock and heard about them failing bone stock from locals. That's one I can remember off the top of my head. Others I'm sure you can Google to find.

Either way, its a manufacturer problem not a "cars fail" problem.

Good luck Frank.

Jawnathin 05-16-2013 04:20 PM

There was talk about their rods being a little weak and have snapped when at full boost during low RPM, but I've yet to have an issue with mine. It has been pretty reliable and far less of a money pit than the Z06 has been. There has been issues with owners doing mods but not upgrading the fuel system, causing an engine failure, but that is an owner error.

While I would have preferred not to deal with this on my Z06, Drew has a point. Not every car is perfect may have a weak point somewhere in their design. It is unfortunate, but there are lots of good cars that have some issue. The Z06 isn't the only one that has to deal with it, but at least we have a fix. We can hope that the manufacturer fixes it, otherwise, its up to the owners to foot the bill or sell it and buy something else.

Another good example are 911 Turbos, GT2s, and GT3s, which are known to have coolant hoses pop off and dump all of its coolant. Results can be extremely catastrophic.

These cars are in the 150k range and can get close to $250k.
You may be aware of coolant pipe issues on GT1-block equipped models (GT3, GT2, Turbo), where coolant pipes come apart while driving and the rapid loss of engine coolant can cause spins/crashes at race tracks when slippery coolant sprays all over the rear tires.

The problem exists on the GT1 motor because there are a couple coolant pipes in these motors that are not a single cast piece: the larger cast pieces have extruded inlet/outlet tubes that are connected using an adhesive. There is no metal-to-metal friction or press-fit to keep these tubes in place, so after enough heat cycles the adhesive will soften/loosen up and the tube will come out of the cast block (with the hose still attached), resulting in a rapid loss of engine coolant.

Regardless of how the vehicle is driven, it seems this problem may eventually effect all 996/997 Turbo, GT2 and GT3 models including the 2010+ GT3 and GT3RS.

If you are interested in having us repair the car at our facility, the price to remove and re-install the engine with this repair is approximately $2800 USD.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

FrankTank 05-16-2013 04:26 PM

Drew, I can understand where you are coming from to a degree, and I would also agree.. every manufacturer of course has cars break and QC problems etc... Ford and Dodge have their cars that have issues too...

the thing that is driving me now (no pun) away from GM and the Z06 is the fact that

okay so I addressed the potential problem with the heads, turned it around into a positive, modded and gained some power... moved on, it happens

but now, to have the Tranny fail on the same car with no track time and under 30k miles, to me I draw the line.. those are 2 major components with this car

I forgave GM for the head debacle, fixed it and moved on. I can't be as forgiving with the car this time around having the Tranny fail.

and of course I'll be honest, the timing of everything does have an impact on my decision

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 04:35 PM

I'd be mad too that you had bad luck with the car, but personally I just see that as a risk of owning a performance car. It sucks that you have an issue with the trans I hope it's a cheaper fix than what your expecting and you can enjoy the car after.

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917230)
Drew, I can understand where you are coming from to a degree, and I would also agree.. every manufacturer of course has cars break and QC problems etc... Ford and Dodge have their cars that have issues too...

the thing that is driving me now (no pun) away from GM and the Z06 is the fact that

okay so I addressed the potential problem with the heads, turned it around into a positive, modded and gained some power... moved on, it happens

but now, to have the Tranny fail on the same car with no track time and under 30k miles, to me I draw the line.. those are 2 major components with this car

I forgave GM for the head debacle, fixed it and moved on. I can't be as forgiving with the car this time around having the Tranny fail.

and of course I'll be honest, the timing of everything does have an impact on my decision

propain 05-16-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583917292)
I'd be mad too that you had bad luck with the car, but personally I just see that as a risk of owning a performance car. It sucks that you have an issue with the trans I hope it's a cheaper fix than what your expecting and you can enjoy the car after.

This excuse doesn't quite sit as well with me as I own many performance cars without any kinds of issues like this.

I would also agree more if the performance car was being used for its performance like at the track and events like you and I both attend. When being used as a DD I feel for the guy who just finished addressing the "one issue" with the Z06 and a few weeks later has a bad tranny on a car with less than 30K.

Performance car should mean better built. Not fall apart quicker.

But Ive always been a firm believer of pay to play. The problem comes in when people aren't playing yet they still have to pay.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 04:40 PM

I heard from people that the cars have had failures with people just cruising around, I can't remember what they said the weak link was it was like 4yrs ago that I heard about it lol.

My aunt had a similar problem on her cayenne turbo s but luckily it was under warranty. And that's a 100+k suv

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1583917190)
There was talk about their rods being a little weak and have snapped when at full boost during low RPM, but I've yet to have an issue with mine. It has been pretty reliable and far less of a money pit than the Z06 has been. There has been issues with owners doing mods but not upgrading the fuel system, causing an engine failure, but that is an owner error.

While I would have preferred not to deal with this on my Z06, Drew has a point. Not every car is perfect may have a weak point somewhere in their design. It is unfortunate, but there are lots of good cars that have some issue. The Z06 isn't the only one that has to deal with it, but at least we have a fix. We can hope that the manufacturer fixes it, otherwise, its up to the owners to foot the bill or sell it and buy something else.

Another good example are 911 Turbos, GT2s, and GT3s, which are known to have coolant hoses pop off and dump all of its coolant. Results can be extremely catastrophic.

These cars are in the 150k range and can get close to $250k.
You may be aware of coolant pipe issues on GT1-block equipped models (GT3, GT2, Turbo), where coolant pipes come apart while driving and the rapid loss of engine coolant can cause spins/crashes at race tracks when slippery coolant sprays all over the rear tires.

The problem exists on the GT1 motor because there are a couple coolant pipes in these motors that are not a single cast piece: the larger cast pieces have extruded inlet/outlet tubes that are connected using an adhesive. There is no metal-to-metal friction or press-fit to keep these tubes in place, so after enough heat cycles the adhesive will soften/loosen up and the tube will come out of the cast block (with the hose still attached), resulting in a rapid loss of engine coolant.

Regardless of how the vehicle is driven, it seems this problem may eventually effect all 996/997 Turbo, GT2 and GT3 models including the 2010+ GT3 and GT3RS.

If you are interested in having us repair the car at our facility, the price to remove and re-install the engine with this repair is approximately $2800 USD.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

FrankTank 05-16-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583917292)

Thanks man, me too :thumbs:

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583917326)
This excuse doesn't quite sit as well with me as I own many performance cars without any kinds of issues like this.

I would also agree more if the performance car was being used for its performance like at the track and events like you and I both attend. When being used as a DD I feel for the guy who just finished addressing the "one issue" with the Z06 and a few weeks later has a bad tranny on a car with less than 30K.

Performance car should mean better built. Not fall apart quicker.

But Ive always been a firm believer of pay to play. The problem comes in when people aren't playing yet they still have to pay.

This is really what has me disappointed and scratching my head...car is not making big power, not tracked (I had actually planned to start tracking it since I fixed the heads) sure the occasional blast on the street or something but thats it.

Oh well... I'll have to see what happens and go from there. It's ashame because there is so much I do love about the car, looks, power etc. light weight.

propain 05-16-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917378)
Thanks man, me too :thumbs:

This is really what has me disappointed and scratching my head...car is not making big power, not tracked (I had actually planned to start tracking it since I fixed the heads) sure the occasional blast on the street or something but thats it.

Oh well... I'll have to see what happens and go from there. It's ashame because there is so much I do love about the car, looks, power etc. light weight.

My opinion Frank is that you should fix it and keep it. Sorry you have to and honestly its completely unacceptable that you did but your almost there. What give someone else your hard earned money after fixing it. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-16-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583917399)
My opinion Frank is that you should fix it and keep it. Sorry you have to and honestly its completely unacceptable that you did but your almost there. What give someone else your hard earned money after fixing it. :thumbs:

I may have a change of heart and keep it who knows, and believe me...the less emotional part of the brain is telling me the same thing you are....why spend the money and put a brand new trans in the car (or freshly rebuilt one) and then sell it :crazy:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-16-2013 05:04 PM

:iagree:

Tough break, your tranny going at a time like this, or really any time.

But you've come this far, seems a shame to fix it, sell it, and let someone else reap the benefits of your efforts.

Mopar Jimmy 05-16-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917412)
I may have a change of heart and keep it who knows, and believe me...the less emotional part of the brain is telling me the same thing you are....why spend the money and put a brand new trans in the car (or freshly rebuilt one) and then sell it :crazy:

Now your talking Tank. I know how much you LOVE your Z and when she is all fixed up again I am confident you will keep your baby for many more years to come! :cheers:

z0sicktanner 05-16-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917412)

if you need help on a trans rebuild hit me up.:thumbs:

Maligator 05-16-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner (Post 1583919109)

Mopar Jimmy 05-16-2013 10:17 PM

I don't care what anyone else says Chad, your ok in my book, Tin hat and all. :) You know I'm just busting your stones man, all in good fun! :cheers:

ck9887 05-16-2013 10:40 PM

Didn't read all 5 pages but any verdict on the problem?

z0sicktanner 05-16-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1583919747)
I don't care what anyone else says Chad, your ok in my book, Tin hat and all. :) You know I'm just busting your stones man, all in good fun! - : )

thanks Jimmy it's all good man:thumbs:

427Z0SX 05-17-2013 02:28 AM

Please elaborate on the underlined above. I've taken out the battery many times, and the windows have always indexed like they should. Sorry to hear about OP's misfortunes, good luck to you!:cheers:

JwT 05-17-2013 09:04 AM

:iagree: I can honestly say that of the vettes I've owned none have ever been trouble free. When the costs have done enough to kill the great feeling I had driving the car I sold it and vowed never to own another. The last one was back in 82. It's been that long since I finally picked up my 07. Guess what? I had to pay out the yeng yang to get it fixed. I think the Z06 can be a pain in the wallet until you get all the bugs fixed. I also think the only way I would get rid of the car is to buy a newer Z or ZR1. I don't race, track or abuse the car at all. Yet the car makes me feel better than any other I've driven. Keep the car Tank....

FrankTank 05-17-2013 09:04 AM

Thanks Chad, much appreciated I will keep you guys posted. :cheers:

Originally Posted by ck9887 (Post 1583919925)
Didn't read all 5 pages but any verdict on the problem?

My mechanic is pretty sure it's the Trans, or something in the driveshaft/driveline..He drove the car a few times, but has not started taking things a part yet but will soon.