CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   "Silver haired men protesting C7 from their burrito stained arm chairs?" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3204949-silver-haired-men-protesting-c7-from-their-burrito-stained-arm-chairs.html)

gsflyer2011 01-22-2013 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z06LUST (Post 1582914294)
You do not subscribe nor BUY their magazine but you will go to a store to USE their copy, that the store is paying for, to read it cover to cover. What Barnes and Noble is a leanding library existing for tightwads......... and then you write to the mag to complain about their content....

Dude it is one thing to be a low class cheapskate but another to announce it to the internet.

Nope, I live in a classy neighborhood of Boca Raton, Florida, the Barnes and Noble here expressly provides tables for you to browse their magazines (or even books) while you are sipping your starbucks latte and having your coffee cake or whatever your poison. And everyone does it, it is the style and practice of this particular store and few others in south Florida . Nope, did not read the entire magazine, only the article on the C7, only upon the insistence of my Corvette buddy. I pay/subscribe for my two corvette magazines, what they write about usually interests me. I guess it will take some time for civilization to arrive in your parts.

Man, lot of people are missing my point entirely.

v.vet's Z06 01-22-2013 05:21 PM

I eat my burritos at the dinner table!

:flag:

Gearhead Jim 01-22-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by z06inVB (Post 1582913708)
Seems GM does not want the gray hairs and " successful plumbers " buying the elite new C7.

They are meant for the young and beautiful people on the coasts who make more than 150k a year.

All others need not apply.

My guess is that if the "all others" don't buy the C7, GM will lose a ton of money on the car.

R&L's C6 01-22-2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1582915121)
My guess is that if the "all others" don't buy the C7, GM will lose a ton of money on the car.

:iagree:

Sometimes you need to be careful of what you ask for...

beaversstonehaven 01-22-2013 06:02 PM

Oh my gosh! That last fart was bad. Honey, bring the Lysol!:ack:

KX 01-22-2013 06:07 PM

The C7 will be purchased by more taco and burrito eating types than by the supposed "beautiful people". The beautiful people look down their noses at Corvettes and consider them to be cars for gear heads, beer belly slobs and others of that ilk! The beautiful people buy Porshe, Audi, Mercedes and the like. Owning a Corvette does NOT mean that you have "arrived".

flange 01-22-2013 06:16 PM

the point of his post, I think, was that the mags need to get their heads extracated from down below, and show some love for the vettes accomplishments.

su8pack1 01-22-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by flange (Post 1582915630)
the point of his post, I think, was that the mags need to get their heads extracated from down below, and show some love for the vettes accomplishments.

Yes, but like a liberal and the NRA, they'll never get it.

Notch 01-22-2013 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011 (Post 1582912961)
For years your magazine's and other similar publications bias towards European made cars were always evident.

Do you think that there might just be a chance that the European cars are actually better in the subjective assessment areas?

gbrtng 01-22-2013 06:53 PM

what's a burrito?

Notch 01-22-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011 (Post 1582912961)
In an article written by Lawrence Ulrich, he comments "One thing's for sure: The Internet commentariat, rising from burrito-stained armchairs, will profess to hate every inch.

Kind of hard to get any context with just one sentence.

MagnaBob 01-22-2013 08:37 PM

I just read the article in its entirety online and have a completely different take on it than you do.

I found the article to be informative overall [but would concede that the paragraph you refer to wasn't very well written]. To me, the author was referring to the relentless, uninformed internet commentators who post meaningless drivel regarding the corvette. I don't think he was attacking the "boomers" referred to in the previous sentence. He seemed to be lauding GM's willingness to go beyond the status quo.

I was quite encouraged by what he wrote. He compared the vette favorably from a value perspective to the much pricier 911 [..."a compelling value edge" to the vette], he used adjectives like "lusty" to describe the V8, and even criticized the folks who think european cars are better due to their sophistication: "Europhiles will titter over the quaint pushrods and two valves per cylinder, as they always have. Yet, the small-block remains a compact powder keg, four inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than BMW's similarly potent 4.4-liter twin-turbo V-8."

Everyone interprets things differently, but when the title of the article about the new vette is "Magnificent 7," I'm heartened by it. :flag:

laconiajack 01-22-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by MagnaBob (Post 1582916942)
I just read the article in its entirety online and have a completely different take on it than you do.

I found the article to be informative overall [but would concede that the paragraph you refer to wasn't very well written]. To me, the author was referring to the relentless, uninformed internet commentators who post meaningless drivel regarding the corvette. I don't think he was attacking the "boomers" referred to in the previous sentence. He seemed to be lauding GM's willingness to go beyond the status quo.

I was quite encouraged by what he wrote. He compared the vette favorably from a value perspective to the much pricier 911 [..."a compelling value edge" to the vette], he used adjectives like "lusty" to describe the V8, and even criticized the folks who think european cars are better due to their sophistication: "Europhiles will titter over the quaint pushrods and two valves per cylinder, as they always have. Yet, the small-block remains a compact powder keg, four inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than BMW's similarly potent 4.4-liter twin-turbo V-8."

Everyone interprets things differently, but when the title of the article about the new vette is "Magnificent 7," I'm heartened by it. :flag:

Like the general populace, many Corvette owners have poor reading comprehension skills, are insecure, and take offense easily; this is simply a sign of our times.

c6tech 01-24-2013 05:54 AM

The problem with all the magazines it has to be German.I bought my 2007 c6 for 32k drove it for four years and sold it for 30k.then I bought a 2013 c6 and love it.put that in blown muffler magazine.

RJRSW 01-24-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by KX (Post 1582913906)
Eh, not so sure of the above generalization : my older son makes that kind of dough, he & his wife could be considered of the beautiful people set, plus he was raised around fast cars! However, he would never buy a Corvette, not even as a second car!

:iagree:

My 38 year old daughter just happened to stop by at the time the reveal was just starting. I have driven corvettes since I was 17 and have owned all 6 generations so my 3 kids have grown up around them and all of them like corvettes.

She owns a very successful business and would definitely qualify as the target group they say they are now going after. She is actively shopping for a new car and has been looking at BMW and Audi so she was very interested in seeing the new vettes. Her first comment after it rolled out on the stage was she thought the wheels looked cheap and was left cold by the car in general and disappointed. Her comment to me when it was over was keep your C6 convert.

My son who is 43 also watched it and when I talked to him the next day had pretty much the same comments as my daughter had.

If they end up turning off the average 58 year old new vette buyers who have been the corvettes main buyer group for many years they will never hit GM's stated target of 30k C7's sold a year.

It is sad for me but if they cannot sell 2-3 times what they have been selling since 2009 I think that the C7 will be the last vette generation. 1984 was the biggest sales ever with over 50k sold followed by 2007 with over 40k but the last few years they have struggled to sell 10k. The Porsche Boxter model alone which is about the same price as the vette sold nearly as many of just that one Porsche model in 2012 as all 4 corvette models combined sold so obviously people are still buying expensive sports cars.

pewter99 01-24-2013 07:03 AM

:yawn:

fast-vette 01-24-2013 07:08 AM

:beatdeadhorse:

Tally Ho 01-24-2013 08:08 AM

The article's author didn't do his homework very well either.

"The base 2014 model will be known as the Corvette Stingray - one word, as used from 1969 to 1977."

There were no Stingray badges on the 1977. Those badges were last seen on the 1976 model.

As for the other comment, there has been a lot of internet hate spewed towards the new C7.