C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Silver haired men protesting C7 from their burrito stained arm chairs?"

Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 195 Posts

Default "Silver haired men protesting C7 from their burrito stained arm chairs?"

Today I stopped by Barnes and Nobles to read the article about the C7 in the latest issue of Road&Track magazine. In an article written by Lawrence Ulrich, he comments "One thing's for sure: The Internet commentariat, rising from burrito-stained armchairs, will profess to hate every inch.

Now I know why I do not subscribe and pay for their magazine. This is in response to the above statement, to their Editor in chief.

Dear sir(s).

For years your magazine's and other similar publications bias towards European made cars were always evident. You have used every chance to belittle and derogate Corvette and now it is very obvious that your on-going contempt and attitude towards this car now carries over to insult present corvette owners and people who choose drive them. Despite its undeniable and continued success both on the road and track in comparison to exotics costing 2, 3 times more which you so adore, I might add.

Let me tell you about myself sir. I have lived 22 years in those countries, and most of you obviously have not. USA is the car lovers paradise, like anything else in this country, it is a land of freedom, I have never been able realize my passion and hobby of cars if I was still in Europe for reasons too long to list (hopefully you know something's about).

I do not own a arm chair, sit in front of TV and eat burritos. Myself and long list of people I know and do not know rather be in their garage working on their Vettes (or any other cars they might own), may that be maintenance, aftermarket mods or detailing. Besides having the (by far) best performance for the buck in its class (so we mostly over look the shortcomings because we are laughing all the way to the bank), I also have purchased this vehicle because I (we) can still turn a wrench on it. Unlike the European cars where an access to service manual costs you $30 per day, that is if they will allow you and you can, I can and have purchased a complete set of shop manuals for my vette (and all my vettes before) for a very reasonable price and I know everything about my car and more. This is probably another very good reason why this car attracts people like me and others. And probably like me, who can afford to own many other exotics, but choose the cerebral Corvette instead.

The now silver haired men were grew up during the time where this was a norm and a national pass time, unlike most of the new generation now who prefer to hand their keys to some service rep, as they do not want anything to do with the servicing and maintaining their car, they have other things that are more important, B, it is not the culture anymore. There are not that many cars left in the world no that turning a wrench in the privacy of your garage is even possible now, unless you have access to service manuals, many specialized and very expensive mechanical and electronic trouble shooting and programming tools.

Us silver haired men love technology yet simplicity, and as Corvette drivers have in heart only the very best wishes for the Corvette and pray for its continued existence and success. We grew up in the best of times, experienced other freedoms due to lack of technology, without automotive nannies and complications in its purest form. Now younger people spend their lives, work, communicate, love, be loved and be entertained from behind of a 4 inch screen, and the new products always seem to reflect that life style, and that for us is sad. Having been there with both, they have no idea what they are missing. Actual touch, feel, human Interaction.

Hopefully this will add to your enlightenment, and please do not forget, it is this country that invented and made common all those technologies, therefore please use your common sense and have some respect for this country, its products and people who prefer to own them.

Last edited by gsflyer2011; 01-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

ditto..i read "vette or corvette mags...who cares what the euro junkies think.............
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an armchair and I eat burritos while watching TV...wait...are they talking about me?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

That was great man. Wonder if you'll get a reply .

GM had a hard job on their hands. I fully understand the need to expand the Vette's demographics. But on the other hand, most of the young kids I know from my 2 daughters, don't really care about cars anymore. So GM better not have alienated their 'silver haired' customer base, since many of us can still buy a few more cars before we have to trade cars for virgins, or whatever the heck we'll find after this life . I'm also put off big time by all the electronic crap now present in every new car, so my '12 GS might be the last Vette for that reason. I might buy a 991 911 Carrera S, since Porsche finally got it right enough to justify buying one. But only if I'm impressed by it. With the hydraulic steering gone, the main reason to buy one might not be there anymore. We'll see. If that's the case, then I'll keep the GS for many years, then buy a proper sedan for my age, along with an arm chair, and start eating burritos . Have a good one folks.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, however, as I qualify for the silver hair group but not having enough hair to become silver, I do not think about that!
Additionally, I have either owned or driven every iteration of Corvette from C1 to the C6.
I embrace all of the improvements including the use of high tech and other generational improvements. These things show forward thinking and progressive views towards the future. Why try to please us old fuddy duddies, that are, lets face it, a dying breed! The future lies with getting more young people to buy into the Corvette program, a group that can possibly buy 4, 5 or even 7 or more Corvettes in the future. The older age group may only live long enough to buy what, one more generation of Corvettes...!!??? I say hooray for GM & Corvette, keep it up! And those that bitch; get over the square tail lights and what ever you dislike about the C7! GM ain't going to change it for you, Grandpa. You are no longer their primary target audience..!!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
I have an armchair and I eat burritos while watching TV...wait...are they talking about me?
Quick, reach for the "Grecian Formula".
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 518 Posts

Seems GM does not want the gray hairs and " successful plumbers " buying the elite new C7.

They are meant for the young and beautiful people on the coasts who make more than 150k a year.

All others need not apply.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I actually prefer a rocking chair and Fritos. Who cares about R&T anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Seems GM does not want the gray hairs and " successful plumbers " buying the elite new C7.

They are meant for the young and beautiful people on the coasts who make more than 150k a year.

All others need not apply.
Eh, not so sure of the above generalization : my older son makes that kind of dough, he & his wife could be considered of the beautiful people set, plus he was raised around fast cars! However, he would never buy a Corvette, not even as a second car!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm eating a chicken taco right now... does that count too?

mardyn
Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Stereotyping from both the magazine and the guy who wrote the letter.

Not all old men like burritos, have poor hygiene and are apposed to change and technology.
Not all young folks prefer looking at a 4 inch screen over human interaction, both need to get real.

'Posted from my iPhone5'

Last edited by Aozora; 01-22-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You do not subscribe nor BUY their magazine but you will go to a store to USE their copy, that the store is paying for, to read it cover to cover. What Barnes and Noble is a leanding library existing for tightwads......... and then you write to the mag to complain about their content....

Dude it is one thing to be a low class cheapskate but another to announce it to the internet.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you! Well said.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Aozora
Stereotyping from both the magazine and the guy who wrote the letter.

Not all old men like burritos, have poor hygiene and are apposed to change and technology.
Not all young folks prefer looking at a 4 inch screen over human interaction, both need to get real.
Serious.

Wouldn't one have to first fit the description in order to be offended by it, anyway?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

If it wasn't for the silver haired old men there wouldn't be a Corvette at all. Not only those today, but others like Duntov himself.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would respond but the burrito grease is gumming up my keyboard.

Get notified of new replies

To "Silver haired men protesting C7 from their burrito stained arm chairs?"

Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I wish I didnt have gray hair
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
Interesting, however, as I qualify for the silver hair group but not having enough hair to become silver, I do not think about that!
Additionally, I have either owned or driven every iteration of Corvette from C1 to the C6.
I embrace all of the improvements including the use of high tech and other generational improvements. These things show forward thinking and progressive views towards the future. Why try to please us old fuddy duddies, that are, lets face it, a dying breed! The future lies with getting more young people to buy into the Corvette program, a group that can possibly buy 4, 5 or even 7 or more Corvettes in the future. The older age group may only live long enough to buy what, one more generation of Corvettes...!!??? I say hooray for GM & Corvette, keep it up! And those that bitch; get over the square tail lights and what ever you dislike about the C7! GM ain't going to change it for you, Grandpa. You are no longer their primary target audience..!!
Your comments are true and well said KX, we all know that to be the case, I welcome your response and thank you for it. It however entirely misses my point. I am not criticizing the C7 or want to be seen as one. I am trying to stick up for Corvette in its past, present and future form. I am trying to point out that the corvette's biggest criticizers (and regretfully the enemies) are, and always have been, the press it self, magazines like Road and Track and 3 of their sister publications due to their elitist attitudes. One cannot help but notice this writers complete disdain, albeit trying to look like he is praising the new car. All these years they can never come up and admit, not even once, that the car in its past end (and future) present form is a unmatched accomplishment, for its time, in performance and price point (always a comprise). Anybody can make a 4200 LBS $180,000 car, not many can make a 3200 LBS $64,000 car that matches and exceeds the reliabilty, ease of service, usability and the performance of a vette (let alone customer satisfaction index). People are influenced by what they see and read, sometimes rightfully and many times wrongfully, other wise we would not have a all new generation of young people who think beauty is being under-nourished looking 90 LBS of stick looking like the cover of one of those fashion magazines

I guess I also have to get used to lack of truth in advertising, highly biased opinions, gone are the days of true and god honest reporting. Everyone now is an expert on something they have never owned or done before. It however does peeve me.

Last edited by gsflyer2011; 01-22-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Silver haired men protesting C7 from their burrito stained arm chairs?"