CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Rear end whine (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3057922-rear-end-whine.html)

Bob Chapman 05-14-2012 09:10 PM

Rear end whine

My 2002 6 spd.with 82000 miles is developing a whine from what seems to be the rear. I get it above 60mph and when the drive system is slightly pulling but not on acceleration or deceleration. Happens in 5th and 6th gear. Put Red Line fluids in tranny and differential about 30.000 miles ago. The whine seems to be getting slightly louder over time. It's not loud - just annoying and new. Ideas?

Rick@RKT Performance 05-14-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Chapman (Post 1580813700)
My 2002 6 spd.with 82000 miles is developing a whine from what seems to be the rear. I get it above 60mph and when the drive system is slightly pulling but not on acceleration or deceleration. Happens in 5th and 6th gear. Put Red Line fluids in tranny and differential about 30.000 miles ago. The whine seems to be getting slightly louder over time. It's not loud - just annoying and new. Ideas?

This is a classic symptom of ring and pinion gears making noise. The noise happens around 65-70 mph in overdrives. If you can't live with it, time for new gears.

Roc87 05-14-2012 10:19 PM

Most likely will get louder as well:ack: Mine took around 3k miles to go from a slight hum to downright annoying and not being able to use the radio to cover the noise.
Time for 3.90s from Rick:rock: (see above)

NewWorldBlues 05-15-2012 12:56 AM

Does it start off as a low high-pitched frequency sound?

I've notice this on the used 3.42 diff that was just put in. Only under load.

Rick@RKT Performance 05-15-2012 11:07 AM

Most gear whines are on the load (accelerating) side. Usually the noise is gone during coasting or decel. The noise is similar to a straight cut gears in a transmission.

Z28STYLE23 06-02-2012 10:32 PM

I'm getting a similar whine that starts at 50mph. is the fix just new gears?

Rick@RKT Performance 06-03-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Z28STYLE23 (Post 1580974083)
I'm getting a similar whine that starts at 50mph. is the fix just new gears?

Yes, but I would check to make sure it's not a rear hub noise first.

ALLEGRO 06-03-2012 10:03 PM

Both my Trans Am GT and my C5 Anniversary Edition (both with T-56 and 3.42 gears) have whinned at highway speeds. Seems I was told that it was the tranny that was the culprit, but I cannot remember. Mine have not increased in volume ever, so I am just going to live with it.....or turn the stereo up louder. LOL

texasEBz06 08-20-2012 07:49 PM

im having a gear whine also in my 02 z06 , it starts at any speed when im on throttle, if im on the floor with the throttle it goes away, if Im just cruizing I hear it more often.

NukeC5 08-21-2012 03:07 AM

Yes the ring and pinion are the cause. I swapped a 3.42 diff out of a Z06 into my 99 A4 and found out why they removed it. It whines badly all the time. If you can live with it, it doesn't hurt anything. If not, upgrade time :D

_r2h 08-21-2012 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56 (Post 1580817929)
Most gear whines are on the load (accelerating) side. Usually the noise is gone during coasting or decel. The noise is similar to a straight cut gears in a transmission.

I have a noise that is kind of opposite of this. Most noticeable on cruise, only slightly noticeable on acceleration, completely gone on deceleration. All after it's warmed up and at operating temp. I haven't figured it out yet.

Rick@RKT Performance 08-21-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by _r2h (Post 1581624435)
I have a noise that is kind of opposite of this. Most noticeable on cruise, only slightly noticeable on acceleration, completely gone on deceleration. All after it's warmed up and at operating temp. I haven't figured it out yet.

I should have been more specific. The noise is most evident on part throttle acceleration (10-30% throttle). The noise disappears under hard acceleration and decel.

striper 08-26-2012 09:52 AM

I've had this noise for thousands of miles and it doesn't hurt anything. It's not too bad so I haven't done anything about it. I've got 108k miles and it has never gotten any worse.

Dennis Wilson 08-26-2012 01:24 PM

My 3.90``s have been whining for over 30,000 miles now, loudest at 50-65 mph. sometimes louder than other times but not getting any worse. last diff change no metal in old oil so I`m living with it. :cheers:

Rob 99 12-22-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56 (Post 1580814132)
This is a classic symptom of ring and pinion gears making noise. The noise happens around 65-70 mph in overdrives. If you can't live with it, time for new gears.

Why does this happen? and in my case only or mostly in 6th gear?
not enough 'load' on the gears,
geez i only have 40,000 mi (2004 year ) and it's been getting worse very annoying like others have said.

NukeC5 12-23-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rob 99 (Post 1582636798)
Why does this happen? and in my case only or mostly in 6th gear?
not enough 'load' on the gears,
geez i only have 40,000 mi (2004 year ) and it's been getting worse very annoying like others have said.

They say its from improper backlash of the ring and pinion. I find it had to believe that so many mistakes were made from the factory as this happens to so many people. I think that hard driving and abuse causes the gears to form a bad wear pattern. An improper break in and or allot of spirited driving will wipe out the gear teeth surface and make them noisy.

Rick@RKT Performance 12-23-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wilson (Post 1581668237)
My 3.90``s have been whining for over 30,000 miles now, loudest at 50-65 mph. sometimes louder than other times but not getting any worse. last diff change no metal in old oil so I`m living with it. :cheers:

This particular diff was whinning and the ring and pinion gears just ate each other up. This magnet was the result.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...rum/Magnet.jpg

_r2h 12-23-2012 03:58 PM

Wow, sweet example of a magnet's lines of force.

Ozzysezit 12-23-2012 07:10 PM

NukeC5

Im not sure that "spirited" driving would be the cause of this. It is a Corvette after all and spirited driving is what the car was made for. I am new to this forum but I have been doing alot of research on the C5 Vettes. A Corvette with 40k miles on it should not have gear noise (unless maybe they ran it dry of lube at LeMans) I think maybe this was a Factory flaw that went unnoticed.

NukeC5 12-24-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzysezit (Post 1582642137)
NukeC5

Im not sure that "spirited" driving would be the cause of this. It is a Corvette after all and spirited driving is what the car was made for. I am new to this forum but I have been doing alot of research on the C5 Vettes. A Corvette with 40k miles on it should not have gear noise (unless maybe they ran it dry of lube at LeMans) I think maybe this was a Factory flaw that went unnoticed.

It may be in some cases, but if you stick around this forum awhile you will find that gear noise is a problem for way to many C5 owners to be factory flaws. The words "spirited driving" to me and (and "allot of spirited driving" at that) to me means the guys that are constantly on the throttle or brakes. The gears never have a chance to form a smooth wear pattern which leads to a surface that whines.
The Corvette is still a car made from the same parts as any other Chevy V8. Harsh driving will lead to owning a harshly driven car that shows it like any other car.

Ozzysezit 12-24-2012 10:29 PM

NukeC5
I see your point. If a driver is hotrodding the car from the factory without a good break in period it would definately cause uneven or distorted wear on the gears eventually causing the whine problem. I assumed that Chevy would have put heavier duty parts on a Vette but I guess no matter how heavy duty, without proper break-in people will have problems.
It just seemed odd to me that so many people were having this issue. I passed up buying a 98 because the seller said it had this problem. My reasoning for thinking that maybe it was a Factory issue is that C5s are the first year they moved the tranny to the rear end of the car and drivetrain mis-alignment could also produce a whining noise.

Rick@RKT Performance 12-24-2012 10:45 PM

The differentials are tested from Getrag for noise before being installed on the assembly line. I think the whinning developes from lack of servicing the fluid. Most C5 owners don't service the diff unless they start hearing noise but by that time it's too late. These diffs only hold 1.8 qts and often reach over 230* F at highway speed. I recommend road course (HPDE) guys to replace the fluid after every event and all of them with our built units have stood up over time without any noise issues. The magnet catches most of the metal particles but that is the abrasive that starts to eat each other IMO.

NukeC5 12-24-2012 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56 (Post 1582651449)
The differentials are tested from Getrag for noise before being installed on the assembly line. I think the whinning developes from lack of servicing the fluid. Most C5 owners don't service the diff unless they start hearing noise but by that time it's too late. These diffs only hold 1.8 qts and often reach over 230* F at highway speed. I recommend road course (HPDE) guys to replace the fluid after every event and all of them with our built units have stood up over time without any noise issues. The magnet catches most of the metal particles but that is the abrasive that starts to eat each other IMO.

I agree with the need to change fluid. But this problem occurs in cars with 30k miles!!! Mine developed the problem at 55k miles. The service interval is not even till 100k on normal driving, and 70k with harsh conditions!!! I just find it crazy that it happens to so many people.

Ozzysezit 12-25-2012 02:37 AM

The 98 Vert I bought was early model (purchased in 97) it has 71k miles and was owned by a couple that didnt abuse it but were not afraid to let her rip now & then. I have zero gear noise so I was just wondering if G.M. changed something along the way?
Also, Im wondering if there are bushings or supports that could get out of kelter just enough to throw alignment off eventually causing a noise issue?
Just tossing out some ideas.

Roc87 12-25-2012 01:18 PM

Local shop said they had a customer that would change the diff fluid with every oil change, it too developed the whine. My vette had 35k miles on it when I bought it and had all the fluids changed. I don't really know what kind of life it led before I bought it, but I never abused it or really even did any "spirited driving" (have an 11 second Grand national to abuse, which oddly enough with over 500ft.lbs of torque, line lock and many launches with slicks doesn't have any issue with its rear end at 158k miles:crazy2:) but by 57k miles, my vette had the whine:ack:

Now with Ricks built diff, I'm going to change the fluid quite often, doubt it's every oil change though

NukeC5 12-25-2012 05:01 PM

What blows is that I have a brand new stage two 3.42 diff from RPM, and because I put poly couplers in the TT and used a Pfadt tranny mount, you hear the diff anyway! Its not screaming like before, but you definitely hear when its engaged and on deceleration.

bikerjim2000 12-27-2012 12:02 PM

Pinion Nut ,lash

Many years of driving older GM's and a few times over the years I have had to pull a Driveshaft and retorque the pinion nut that has developed a bit of play causing extra lash.

From normal wear of bearings? or is the crush washer distorting,or is the nut just backing off the pinion. Not sure. happened to my Nova, but those gears had been removed and probably no new pinion gear nut installed/Loctited. My DD s15 with 245k plus was also visited and it quieted down after retightening at around 200k.

I bet as you say it is fluid maintenance as well as waiting for it to hit operating temp before hammering on these, I see so many people just jump in and beat on cold cars. Engine oil on my daily commute has not reached 200F after driving 10 miles so I am sure rear gear lube is still not up to temp by then either.

CaliforniaJack 12-27-2012 09:18 PM

I don't hear any whine..........

I can't hear anything over the noise from the damn tires!

Ozzysezit 12-28-2012 09:59 PM

bikerjim,
I just cant see it being a lube issue at such low mileage on these cars. 30k miles? 57k miles? Not unless they were racing LeMans & getting the Diff. lube overheated or drag racing the cars straight from the dealership or putting the cars through some 24 hour endurance in the Mojave desert in the middle of summer. You have some good ideas to look at though. The Pinion nut and crush washer, but since this was the "New" Vette, I'm not sure they even have these items. (I have alot to learn about C5 Vettes.) I havent looked at the C6 forums to see if this issue carried over to the newer Vettes.
It just seems that this was a weak link in some C5 Vettes.

RonSSNova 12-29-2012 02:31 AM

There isn't a pinion nut in the conventional sense. Remember that the drive output shaft from the trans passes through the pinion itself.

I don't have a photo handy.

The ring gear in a C5 is small. 7.625" I believe. In solid axle car terms, it's a popcorn fart. Barely bigger than a Vega. It is pretty beefy for it's size though. The C6 is much larger....GM wised up.

It is possible to "tweak" the gear teeth with judicious amounts of power applied. It probably only takes a few tenths of a thou to make the diff that once was quiet start to make noise.
Ditto for the case which is aluminum. If it tweaked a tiny amount, same thing can happen.

I set up and broke in the 12 bolt in my Nova. it was dead quiet, until 2 trips to the dragstrip. Then it began to howl. I asked Richmond what the deal was. They told me i bent the teeth, and not to worry about it. it has never changed, after several hundred high nine second runs.
I put redline heavy duty shockproof gear oil in it, that helped a bit.....

If it isn't getting worse, just turn the stereo up a bit, or get a louder axle back. :D It won't fail as others have noted.

BTW, I bet the auto tran diffs fare better. I bought a 3.42 from a coupe and it had 140K miles on it........I was pretty green here.....and it takes dead smooth new pavement to hear just a tad bit of whine. The seller told he maintained it religiously. When I took it apart for the posi and shaft upgrade, it was near perfect inside. Only a little fuzz on the magnet. They are actually quite fun to work on!

Finally, if you can't stand it, and want it rebuilt, I suggest Rick here, or RPM. These take special tools and experience to do correctly.

Ron

seevi 05-26-2013 11:31 AM

Whinning generally is the ring and pinion gears just eating each other up. I would try and get a flexible magnet in the fill hole and see if there is any metal debris in the case.

Also, check to make sure it's not a rear hub noise.

weslp00 10-16-2017 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance (Post 1581626515)
I should have been more specific. The noise is most evident on part throttle acceleration (10-30% throttle). The noise disappears under hard acceleration and decel.

Sorry to wake up an old thread here but my '01 Z06 is doing this.
Its more annoying than anything and only on part throttle at 60mph and above. Seems non existant at 80+
Tried changing oil to 75/140w and not much difference. Cant say how long its been there because the radio mostly covers it.

BUT what I really want to know is how long have I got left before it goes BANG. I can live with it and don't want to tear into a stock car for no reason. My 5th Gen F body does it and its gonna stay that way !!:cheers:

Do these things occur and stay stable at 58000 miles or deteriorate ???